The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 07, 2019, 11:14:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which is the preferred covering for ones brain cage?
Bowler - 44 (42.3%)
Top Hat - 60 (57.7%)
Total Voters: 82

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bowler or Top Hat  (Read 14938 times)
ProfDelphiniusTucker
Gunner

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

I have both, but more often I wear my Bowler or Fedora than my Top Hat. I find that Top Hats are more to be used in formal occasions.

--Professor Delphinius S. Tucker

Professor Delphinius S. Tucker
Professor of Technological Masteries, Religion, and History.
zenmondo
Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

CodePoet

ZenMondo0
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2007, 04:37:36 am »

I wear a bowler, but the real reason is the economy of it. Smiley  I can afford the bowler more easily than a topper.  Plus I dress more casual steampunk instead of formal well somewhere in the middle... well anyway I am wearing a bowler with goggles on the band as I type this.  Smiley

-=[KING of the Wyoming Steampunks]=-

Zen & The Art Of Steampunk
kstar22
Swab

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »

Would it ever be appropriate to wear a fedora?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2018, 05:44:45 pm »

Would it ever be appropriate to wear a fedora?

At the turn of the century, it was considered a stylish hat for women:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora#History

It didn't catch on for men until the interwar period.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2018, 12:11:11 pm »

Don't forget the trilby, the boater, the fedora, the homburg, the newsboy cap, the flat cap, the wide-awake, the pork-pie, the cowboy hat...and those are just tradtionally "mens" styles! Cheesy

(Leave it to the milliner to make things complicated.)

You forgot the Fez - how can anyone forget the Fez.

I have one Bowler hat and three top hats - a short Jaxon Deadman topper, a standard sized grey topper and a stovepipe.  Out of those four I tend to wear the Stovepipe the most - often with a Fez under it.

Rasponov022
Deck Hand
Belgium Belgium

Rasponov
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:39 pm »

When I'm not to be found in full steampunk wear, I'll often be wearing my beloved bowler, been wearing one for 6 years now, and she'll never leave my side
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 10:02:15 pm »

I for one do not care for flat caps or bowlers.  They're a bit too side-kick for my taste.

I tend to favor my fedora, top hat or my outback.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2019, 03:55:46 pm »

I for one do not care for flat caps or bowlers.  They're a bit too side-kick for my taste.

*snip*

You forgot Andean Native  Grin Cheesy Apparently, in South America (namely Peru, Bolivia among the Aymara and Quechua Native), the bowler, according to wiki is "known as bombín in Spanish, has been worn by Quechua and Aymara women since the 1920s, when it was introduced to Bolivia by British railway workers. For many years, a factory in Italy manufactured such hats for the Bolivian market, but they are now made locally"

Never had a bowler in my life. Am I missing something?  Cheesy The closest for me (which I don't wear often, as I prefer the Pickelhaube) would be a Trachten hat for my costume. Basically resembling a Trilby hat, which is a short brimmed version of the Fedora. I used this Trachten hat briefly as part of an Ofiicer's US Army Civil War Era uniform for the Germanic Lufschiffengel personnel in the US Corps of Engineers

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:08:36 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2019, 12:19:38 am »

bowler for everyday wear, tophat for more special occasions

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 02:30:19 am »

Don't forget the trilby, the boater, the fedora, the homburg, the newsboy cap, the flat cap, the wide-awake, the pork-pie, the cowboy hat...and those are just tradtionally "mens" styles! Cheesy

(Leave it to the milliner to make things complicated.)

Not to mention the pith helmet, and for military, the shako, the kepi, Highland "bonnets"...

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2019, 02:47:31 am »

I can't help but think of the '60's Batman series and the "Mad Hatter" villain who had a hypnotic device that popped out of his top hat. Someone should run with the idea with a pop-up mini cannon, Gatling gun, or something. Some sort of projector?

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 12:14:41 pm »

I can't help but think of the '60's Batman series and the "Mad Hatter" villain who had a hypnotic device that popped out of his top hat. Someone should run with the idea with a pop-up mini cannon, Gatling gun, or something. Some sort of projector?

[img]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/6/65/Mad_Hatter_Mesmerizer.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/185?cb=20171120210624[/ig]

I love that idea!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: