The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 03:34:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainstorm with me some?  (Read 3326 times)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 09:20:07 pm »

That's perfect! I think I have a new favorite hat style. I need one. I think I'm in love. Oh my god lol Y'all are steampunks, does anybody have a Victorian fainting couch?

Seriously, though. That is perfect. Captures perfectly part of the feel. I think any military-style jacket with some ornamental stitching would look marvelous.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 05:47:50 pm »

Lovely aren't they?  And quite easy to make I should think, although if you want a lot of braid and embroidery that might take a bit of time to apply, but what the heck ~ we all have HOURS of free time when we just sit twiddling our thumbs, don't we?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 07:05:10 pm »

I do in fact have hours of free time with nothing better to do than sit on the internet.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 11:41:39 pm »

Isn't that called 'research'? Well that's my excuse anyway.

Seriously I must get on with some dressmaking; I did sew 17 buttons on a new coat today and intend to finish a jacket tomorrow.
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 05:32:32 pm »

The Village Hatshop website has a variety of authentically constructed pith helmets available, including Vietnamese military helmets. If you don't have the heart to "operate" on an authentic mid-century piece, a recently constructed one is easily available.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »

As a communist-bloc military collector, I wouldn't have the heart to operate on a Vietnamese helmet, either. However a reproduction might work, though I'm largely unsure of how it would look with anything else
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 08:36:13 pm »

The description of these is French-style shape, made in the traditional Vietnamese manner.  I have one in white, for summer steampunking*, and wear it as a sunhat too as I like it so much.

*Summer being a relative term in this country, I just put it on if it's after March and the sun is shining!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 06:31:02 am »

Hey all.

So, as my mental idea of my persona has progressed over time, I find myself coming back to a handful of general design ideas, but am at a loss for anything tactile to work from. A very large portion of the overall look that I'm going for is a more military look, though I'm probably going to start with a more simplified "Parade Order". But being a tinker and adventurer, it of course needs to have that tinkerer's flair and something of an exotic nature that would reflect adventurer. So I'm really at a loss as to how to effectively blend these three (admittedly rather different) elements together in to something that looks good. I was hoping for some pictures, thoughts, and ideas that might help work things along or get my creative gears turning.

Surveyor 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveyor

Scout
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout

Expeditionary Force

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 04:02:01 am »

I love the caps that the expeditionary force people are wearing!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2015, 11:16:52 pm »

What time of year will your military-flavoured outfit be for?  Winter - lots of good wool and a bit of fur (that then incorporates the adventurer side).  Think around the other seasons.

That's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered yet. I don't really know what sorts of weather or seasonal changes there are in the area where my persona would be spending a majority of her time.

Some background on her is that she's a privateer in the Indian Ocean, sailing under the protection of the British Crown. She also spends quite a bit of time sailing near other British holdings between Africa and Asia, but a vast majority of her time is spent either campaigning in British Africa, or carrying out more civilized duties in Kathmandu and Delhi, with occasional trips up to England proper or up through British holdings in China and other parts of Asia.

Consider a navigator or "radio" officer type role.  Imagine having sextant, compass, etc hooked onto your vest or hat.  Perhaps a telegraph key or old-timey phone handset, with antenae coming off the hat/pack.

ThinkGeek had an old-fashioned phone handset with 1/8" jack for smart phones, so you really could fashion a "portable" telephone.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »

How close are we to pictures of the final product?
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 08:14:52 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
What an intriguing project!
You'll want to be kitted for voyages, exploration and also to take tea in an Embassy, I take it?
What time period are you thinking of?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:16 am »

GCCC,

The project I decided to start with was the smoking hat. I have been looking for an embroidery pattern and supplies to do it with.

Prof. Cecily,

Certainly don't want to be under-dressed for tea in her Majesty the Queen's gracious service! But under-equipped for the battlefield on land or at sea certainly won't do either. Though not all at once. I have more or less figured out that to do this right and proper, it will take at least three different outfits for the same character o_o

Time period I'm thinking at is 1870s-1890s-ish? Give or take a few years and some creative license because I have attachments to some stuff that doesn't fall within that time period.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2016, 10:22:43 pm »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
So many possible kits to choose from in that time period.
Still, you can always use Nellie Bly for inspiration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

Her travelling costume is worth mulling over- she went around the world in it.

I remain yours,
Prof Cecily
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 08:43:42 am »

I have actually been to Cochran's Mills, PA! At least Im pretty sure I have been. That was quite the story, though!

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 11:11:22 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Whew. Cochran's Mills.

In my opinion, Nelly Bly is almost a prototype of a Steampunk character.
Intrepid, independent and intelligent.

In fact, her travelling outfit, spiced with double hip belts and bandoleers for curious contraptions would be an approachable model for just about any character you choose.
Heaver for winter, lighter for summer. Rather than a jacket, a blouse and corset, or blouse and waistcoat.

Bloomers or a divided skirt. You might look at bicycle-riding outfits of the nineteenth century.
To go more exotic, why not try variants of harem pants, such as ATS dancers wear?

And hats.
And a travelling case, full of curiosities.
Boots! Laced with ribbons, garnished and painted.

Or you can go to Mina Harker, in the league of Extraordinary Gentlemen as a base

So many, many variants. All are wonderful.
My advise is to start at charity shops for blouses, fabrics, buttons, even boots and coats to tweak into suitable raiment.

You decide. How much bosom or legs do you want to show? How much money and time are you willing to spend of your outfits?

As you've noticed, Brass Goggles has a number of creative people willing to share their experience and knowledge. I've benefitted greatly from comments I've received here, though all mistakes are my own, not the fault of those kind enough to make comments!
Jump in, the water's fine!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: