The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 02:46:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainstorm with me some?  (Read 3327 times)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« on: October 07, 2015, 12:16:49 am »

Hey all.

So, as my mental idea of my persona has progressed over time, I find myself coming back to a handful of general design ideas, but am at a loss for anything tactile to work from. A very large portion of the overall look that I'm going for is a more military look, though I'm probably going to start with a more simplified "Parade Order". But being a tinker and adventurer, it of course needs to have that tinkerer's flair and something of an exotic nature that would reflect adventurer. So I'm really at a loss as to how to effectively blend these three (admittedly rather different) elements together in to something that looks good. I was hoping for some pictures, thoughts, and ideas that might help work things along or get my creative gears turning.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:33:15 am »

What time of year will your military-flavoured outfit be for?  Winter - lots of good wool and a bit of fur (that then incorporates the adventurer side).  Think around the other seasons.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:30:09 am »

Khakis for "in-the-field" and something dressier for...well, dress occasions.

Have a look at some of these folks for a variety, and see what you think.

http://royaldirigiblecorps.yolasite.com/the-picture-gallery.php

Also, dig around some of the "Playing Dress Up" galleries; there are some excellent ideas there (but you do have to dig, since they're not all military and/or scientific):

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24812.0.html

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.0.html

See also:  https://www.google.com/search?q=steampunk+military+inventor&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCMPqvd21r8gCFQoyPgodRv8DBg&biw=1600&bih=771  (searched for under "steampunk military inventor")

Good luck, and hope some of this helps.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:32:57 am by GCCC » Logged
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »

What time of year will your military-flavoured outfit be for?  Winter - lots of good wool and a bit of fur (that then incorporates the adventurer side).  Think around the other seasons.

That's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered yet. I don't really know what sorts of weather or seasonal changes there are in the area where my persona would be spending a majority of her time.

Some background on her is that she's a privateer in the Indian Ocean, sailing under the protection of the British Crown. She also spends quite a bit of time sailing near other British holdings between Africa and Asia, but a vast majority of her time is spent either campaigning in British Africa, or carrying out more civilized duties in Kathmandu and Delhi, with occasional trips up to England proper or up through British holdings in China and other parts of Asia.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:20:50 pm »

Khakis for "in-the-field" and something dressier for...well, dress occasions.

Have a look at some of these folks for a variety, and see what you think.

http://royaldirigiblecorps.yolasite.com/the-picture-gallery.php

Also, dig around some of the "Playing Dress Up" galleries; there are some excellent ideas there (but you do have to dig, since they're not all military and/or scientific):

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24812.0.html

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.0.html

See also:  https://www.google.com/search?q=steampunk+military+inventor&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCMPqvd21r8gCFQoyPgodRv8DBg&biw=1600&bih=771  (searched for under "steampunk military inventor")

Good luck, and hope some of this helps.

Thank you so much! I found a very nice uniformed female's picture on the Royal Dirigible Corps' website that should be very helpful as a place to start.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:57:44 pm »

That's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered yet. I don't really know what sorts of weather or seasonal changes there are in the area where my persona would be spending a majority of her time.

Some background on her is that she's a privateer in the Indian Ocean, sailing under the protection of the British Crown. She also spends quite a bit of time sailing near other British holdings between Africa and Asia, but a vast majority of her time is spent either campaigning in British Africa, or carrying out more civilized duties in Kathmandu and Delhi, with occasional trips up to England proper or up through British holdings in China and other parts of Asia.
Perhaps when ashore she could wear a pith helmet  that opens up to reveal a variety of gadgets?(Nope, no idea how you'd achieve this... but as we are brainstorming I thought it was worth a mention).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 06:15:18 pm »

Interesting just because I love sharing that I have it, I do in fact have an original military pith helmet used by the North Vietnamese during the Second Indochina War. Just fun sharing that. It's still with all of my stuff in Pennsylvania from before I moved Sad
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 06:33:08 pm »

Oooh (turning an interesting shade of chartreuse from jealousy) but you CAN'T cut up an original .....
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:06 pm »

Absolutely not! Especially not this one. I actually know some of it's story (and it's got quite a bit of character... like a bullet hole...). The person that I got it from was a Vietnam vet who got it from an enemy soldier in-country between '66-67. It's preeeetty cool.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:07 pm »

You could tie a quantity of veiling over the helmet to change the look without damaging it. and a steampunk tool belt or a sturdy chatelaine might be useful for gadget holding.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:32:28 pm »

Or make a hat band with pouches; maybe you could contrive some storage inside the crown, only to be revealed in an emergency.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:25 pm »

I was thinking maybe something along the lines of an overseas cap or something a little simpler might be in order. Placing much of anything on a helmet or piece of headwear is... not something I really want to do. So probably something a bit lighter would be best. Simple and lightweight.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 09:45:30 pm »

Weight is a serious consideration.  Maybe a yachting cap.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 10:03:18 pm »

Author Gail Carriger has a DIY for converting old cargo pants into a belt pouch. I've seen people at cons in explorer/inventor style attire wearing variations.

http://retrorack.blogspot.com/2012/05/steampunk-diy-pocket-belt.html

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 10:48:22 pm »

I will very likely end up using leather for my belt and the stuff that goes on it. That's pretty fantastic, though. Definitely a neat idea.

I don't have the foggiest idea what a yachting cap is. I will need to go look.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:36 am »

I will very likely end up using leather for my belt and the stuff that goes on it. That's pretty fantastic, though. Definitely a neat idea.

I don't have the foggiest idea what a yachting cap is. I will need to go look.

It's a billed cap, but if you Google it you'll get modern designs. For similar, 19th C. designs look under foraging cap, wheel cap, kepi and the like. Check images for (later) 19th C. naval uniforms which will have the appropriate military cut for the era. Don't Google "billed cap", because you'll get everything with a brim, not just bills.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:55 am »

I had actually looked it up earlier. Looks like what we call a crusher cap in the militaria collecting circles. That might be an idea that could be worked with.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 07:59:16 pm »

The crusher is indeed the "end product" of that evolutionary line. Steampunks do wear the modern crusher cap, but I didn't know which end of the historical timeline you wanted to emulate.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »

WW2 style army forage caps are rather good too.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 02:49:16 pm »

Cora I think you're on to something there! Not sure on the color, though. I'm not 100% on outright using the British redcoat uniform yet or not for a "service dress" type outfit, but maybe some variant of it. Something feminine with a skirt (I'm forgetting the name of the style of skirt, but they are fairly long and have quite a bit of "pouf" to them, usually some lace is involved, as well.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 10:23:30 am »

For feminine and "in-the-field", consider split riding skirts (buttons convert trousers into a skirt)* or styles promoted by the rational dress movement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »

Those are neat! I think I more or less have something worked out for field dress, but that's a neat idea, too...
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 06:44:52 pm »

For the forage cap, I think some of the European police forces wear that style in different colours and I think I've seen a russian submariners hat in black somewhere.  Alternatively you could buy a khaki one, dismember it and then use the bits as your pattern pieces. I have done this once and never intend to do it again as it was a bit of a pig, but it does look quite effective.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 01:57:04 am »

I actually have a couple of them somewhere. I've always called it an overseas or garrison cap. You don't want to know what the Russians called it (actually, it's pretty funny, so you probably do, but I can't say because of the board rules, so have fun googling it ^_^). Will probably need to come up with a color scheme before I get or make anything like that.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 03:27:07 am »

look at smoking caps, combined with a military style shell jacket and slacks, it could look quite spiffy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: