The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 07:40:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 September  (Read 1313 times)
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« on: September 15, 2015, 10:46:04 pm »

Any comments on the 2.5 mile wide asteroid that some predict will splash down in the Atlantic on 24 September?

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 11:06:40 pm »

Than i pray than the tsunami won't reach Canada. Shocked

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:27:04 am »

Not having heard anything about this, do you have a link to some info?

jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 01:44:42 am »

Not having heard anything about this, do you have a link to some info?

No Worries, it will miss use by a little bit...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3012658/Don-t-panic-Huge-hazardous-asteroid-hurtling-Earth-experts-say-miss-planet-2-8-million-miles.html

Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 10:55:07 am »

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org2014_YB35) and the source it linked to (http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2014YB35;old=1;orb=0;cov=1;log=1;cad=1#orb; the Jet Propulsion Laboratory), it actually passed us in March.  That newspaper report was dated March.  It seems unusually accurate for the Mail.  (Those outside the UK may not realise that British newspapers are not all equally reliable for stories about science, politics, or indeed news.)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 11:11:02 am »

Well f it doesn't hit us we can relax until incoming 'Asteroid 2012 TC4' hits us on October 12th, 2017.

Or not.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:41:31 am »

Right! That's it! It's obvious to me that no one is taking this seriously. The strategy is clear, bitch slap the boss, withdraw all my money; give half of it to the religious lunatic who predicted this apocalypse and use the other half to get ankle deep in gin and hookers!

Oh no hang on, that what I did last time the world was supposed to end. And the time before that, and the time before that......

Well, I do have to say I'm feeling a little sheepish to be perfectly honest. The possibility presents itself that I very well may have been had.....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:43:13 am by Clym Angus » Logged

creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »

I only heard about this second hand from some religious outfit, and when I went online (Sept 24 meter) as usual I found many web sights on both sides of the fence; and as usual, people will believe what they want, or fear.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 06:32:23 pm »

You know, there are millions of micrometeorites falling into the Atlantic every week.

Have a nice day...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 06:45:43 am »

Very true, but at 2.5 miles in diameter I strongly suspect that there might be a wee bit more damage involved, assuming this highly improbable thing actually does come to pass. I realize that the motion picture industry is not the most accurate source of science, but there has been at least one flick where a nuclear device was used to, at the very least, mitigate the damage. After all if the prognosticators are aware correct The financial and governmental centres of the US will be obliterated. I'm quite aware of the fact that I'm not the brightest    crayon in the box, but I sincerely doubt that they would simply sit around and do nothing about it. oh well, un a day or two the truth will become incontrovertible.
Jimbob
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:23:39 am »

Could we not build the greatest airship yet and attack the meteor with fire extinguishers on its way down?

JB
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 06:39:01 pm »

So, tomorrow, eh? Guess I'll just sleep in, then.  Wink
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 12:56:24 am »

But you'll miss the show! Gotta be awake for the end of the world. What will you tell your grand kids? Oh wait, hang on.......
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 12:53:59 pm »

Well the 'doomers' now say it might not be PRECISELY today but somewhere between today and the Blood Moon on the 28th......
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 02:26:37 pm »

Then I hope Clym Angus has a bit of money left for more gin and hookers.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 02:32:09 pm »

We all face a personal "Doom" date; to wish that date on everyone else, just so you don't feel quite so lonesome facing the grand here after; is at best presumptive at worst down right rude.

I often wondered about the folly of predicting the end of the world. As the soothsayer your just as tied to fate as everyone else. There is no profit on it. The experiment always ends in failure. Either it's wrong and you personally look like a clown or everyone (including you) are dead.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but I'm just not seeing the "win" here.

Oh and Atterton, there is always more time for Gin and Hookers.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 05:54:29 pm »

After the Aztec debacle the "experts" say the original computations may have been off by 50 to 100 years. In the words the late Rosanne Rosanadana, (Saturday Night Live's Gilda Radner) "It's always something".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: