The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 07:37:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.
 
   Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working on the 'Tina  (Read 783 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:56:46 pm »

The anglo-German concertina's a pretty steamy instrument, but mine is not a "steampunked" concertina per se; it's metallically decorated, has red leather, etc., but it's a bit colorful (red, green, buff and paisley, looks like a Christmas candy) to be considered really steampunk in my view, and it's of the so-called "Boer" accordion-reed-block type (rather than the "original" Wheatstone dovetailed slot reedpan type, yes I'm aware of the German independent-preceding-invention issue, so calm down, anglo owners),

so here this is down here in Off Topic....

Had a leaky pad and lever issue on the high end side of the instrument, so I took the end off, examined teh action, made adjustments, oiled the pivot, and got to putting the end back on - and one screw decided to go off center and split the side of the bellows box end (happens a lot with these "inexpensive" models, so I hear). Break out the super glue, clamp the glued break down, etc. So now I'm waiting with a a fan blowing on it (to speed up curing) to get back to putting the poor li'l girl back together again. Hopefully nothing else goes awry.

Pics:


The clamped bellows box end. I'm not a pro organ/accordion repairman (and can't afford much in the way of tools), so I tend to work a bit rough.


(Sorry, stuck the block plate lever-side-in and screwed it in place before I thought to take a pic)

Caution/Disclaimer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:16:53 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:44:46 am »

Whooops. Sorry, I put her back together completely three days later, after regluing and reclamping twice (perfect glue up each time), but each time the cheek split iour again; the hole as drilled at the factory (or whatever) is too close to the inner edge of the bellows collar, so it would probably split even if I drilled out the hole and put in a brass insert, which I intend to do in any case a bit later on, when I have time to do a complete job of buildup with wood putty and glue-up reinfocements on the whole bellows and collar assemblies. It'll change the tone, but it will also strengthen the instrument. I got ionto a series of performances and practice sessions and forgot to post the image of her back together.

As it is, I put her back together with the split cheek; the silicone seal and the other screws will hold her together fine until I do the rework. I'm thinking of replacing the metal valve pad arms with wooden ones in the Boer style (they're more reliable), so maybe I'll do that at the same time or later on; have to see.

In any case, this is her and her new case (which I have yet to insulate and upholster, but al least she has a nice box to ride in).

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 17 queries.