The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 09:16:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of Victorian Women with Long Hair  (Read 1516 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: September 04, 2015, 06:58:38 pm »

The actual title of the article contains a less-than-polite-company word.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/photos_of_victorian_women_and_their_long-ass_hair

A couple of samples, excerpted from the article:

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

I don't know what I expected but this wasn't it.

I struggle and arise
Jimbob
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:18:53 am »

Re these pictures real? I assumed that hair falls out on a regular basis thus stopping it reaching these lengths?
Do we have an expert opinion on here?

JB
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:57:51 am »

Hair doesn't fall out, but it can get worn at the edges. It depends on the hair type but I think growing hair past the waist tends to be difficult for european women for this reason.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:30:58 am »

Hair doesn't fall out, but it can get worn at the edges. It depends on the hair type but I think growing hair past the waist tends to be difficult for european women for this reason.

But hair does fall out. Ever seen a woman's brush? Especially after a shower...
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:57:31 am »

Hair really can get that long, bear in mind that they have probably never cut it.  But I am willing to wager that they have neck problems and near constant headaches from carrying 3-4 pounds of hair coiled up on the back of their heads
Niila
Officer
Finland Finland

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:06:50 am »

Yes, depending on genes the hair really can get to those lengths. Victorian women treated their hair gently. They didn't wash their hair everyday, they wore it up most of the time (see those waves? they are from braids) and I don't think heat styling was very popular back then. I'm pretty sure they had all kinds of hair masks and conditioner too.

Oh, and hair do fall over the time, but the grow-rest-fall -cycle is different with each human. For some it may be very short which results in short terminal length, but some people have the cycle is really long and respectively the terminal length is very, very long.

I have been growing my hair for few years, but I'm nowhere near of the lengths of those ladies. I'm impatient and want to try new hair cuts NOW, even if it's middle of the night  Grin
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »

yeah Okay, I'm probably just destroying my hair with huge quantities of orange hairdye.
My mom cut my hair short because I used to cry when she combed it, and I only started to regrow it recently.... my dad has longer hair than I do.
(he doesn't have it cut, but it curls a lot and seems not too grow anywhere past shoulder lenght)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 05:14:52 am »

"The Seven Sutherland Sisters" were a singing act for the Barnum and Bailey Circus, who concluded their act by letting down their hair--all (combined) 37' of it.

Read (and see) more at:

http://www.sideshowworld.com/13-TGOD/2010/tgod7sutherlands.html

They took in some $90,000 in 1884 for a hair tonic sold with their name on it.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-seven-sutherland-sisters-and-their-37-feet-of-hair/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: