The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 03:20:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steaming up the fursona...  (Read 3071 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« on: August 21, 2015, 03:20:51 pm »

sorry to bring the topic of furries up again (you seem not to like that too much...)
but I'm trying to make my fursona more steampunkish.
some information, spoilered in case you're not interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so I thought, perhaps I can use this design on his head, in brass, perhaps...

advice is most welcome!

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:07:53 pm »

If it were me, I'd be asking myself why. The good thing about Steampunk as I understand it, is that the rules are whatever you want them to be, more or less. You are not bound by the rules of history, or even physics.

However, if you're thinking "Should I do X?" then the question is, "Why would I want to do X?" or "What is X for?"

Since the picture shows a ram's head retrofitted to be a container for snuff and cigars, one assumes that you actually intend something that looks like the picture, or has the same sort of feel, not an actual reproduction. Unless you harbour a desire to be a snuff-container, I suppose.

So, what might the metal bits be, if they weren't for storing snuff and cigars?

The fittings on the ends of the horns could be either decorative (brass) or weapons (steel, maybe chased with gold/brass - look at some of the old medieval parade/tournament armours). Or something a bit higher-tech. If they were spirals, they would remind me a lot of electromagnets. You might be able to do something with that concept.

The forehead plate could be armour, especially given the reputation rams have for butting each other. A steel plate would prevent headaches.

Of course, if you wanted to be really steampunk, and depending on the angle of the horns, I suppose you could rig up something that looked like a taser, using the horns as the prongs. Anyone on the receiving end of that headbutt would definitely know they'd been contacted.

The snuff container bits, with what looks like amber/topaz - well, no idea what they might be, but I'd be the first to admit I lack imagination.

So, in summary: figure out what you want your steampunk bits to do (or look as if they do), and since form follows function, you'll then be able to work out what it ought to look like.

Or, alternatively, you could just decide that its function is to Look Pretty, and leave it at that!

Good luck.  Smiley

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 09:07:26 pm »

Thank you very much,miss/mrs/madam Theophania!
I think I'll leave the container bits and focus on the facial part... and I've an idea for his hooves too!
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:13:22 pm »

I love furries! If you are going to the Asylum check out my new taxidermy exhibit!

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:44:57 pm »

I love furries! If you are going to the Asylum check out my new taxidermy exhibit!
Taxidermy? I get the feeling you like your furries dead ratger than alife.
(But sorry, I don't think I am going anywhere in the near future)
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »

I only use the best artificial fur fabric in my creations!

Oh wait.......
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:23:15 pm »

Containers for snuff and cigars?Huh

NOOOOO I see them as a symbol of the Ram's authority over others!

Bejwel, filigree and finish *could* turn them into some sort of "royal" crown.

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 06:37:44 pm »

Oh wait.......

I'm keeping an eye on you 0.0

Containers for snuff and cigars?Huh

NOOOOO I see them as a symbol of the Ram's authority over others!

Bejwel, filigree and finish *could* turn them into some sort of "royal" crown.

I like the idea, but sheep wearing crowns, got to be careful with that.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:40:18 pm »

Started here.
I changed his name from Dalzell (the blackface sheep) to Laird Dalzell C. Overshear. with a meaningless scottish title and a pun. the C stands for Caledon.
(really you can buy that title if you like, costs about 20 pounds I believe and you get a square food of scottish island to go with your new laird/lady title )

I decided to keep the forehead plate shown in the photo, and lenghten his horns so the horn things can be added too. I think I'll make it into a kind of armour but I'm not jet exactly sure how.
also keeping his kilt but changing it's colour and adding some spats above his (needly polished) hooves.

and I might need to change his 'hair'style

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 12:12:22 am »

Looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:15 am »

Now that I think on it, it looks like what one of the Girl Genius's Jaegermonsters would wear...and I mean that in a good way.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 12:40:01 pm »

Oh wait.......

You know I don't mean to offend anyone here (I do try these days to be as innocuous as possible. I don't always succeed but I do try)

But I'm getting this soul crushing and hope extinguishing sense of Déjà vu all of a sudden. Cheesy

I would say in general defence of the plush arts I have seen several apes swanning around the Surrey Steampunk convivial and as of yet no one has felt the need to take a pot shot.
They even make it into the publicity material. Sometimes. Guided rams heads eh? Difficult to carry off without veering dangerously into horror film Cliché.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:42:54 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 12:55:01 pm »

Oh wait.......

You know I don't mean to offend anyone here (I do try these days to be as innocuous as possible. I don't always succeed but I do try)

But I'm getting this soul crushing and hope extinguishing sense of Déjà vu all of a sudden. Cheesy

I would say in general defence of the plush arts I have seen several apes swanning around the Surrey Steampunk convivial and as of yet no one has felt the need to take a pot shot.
They even make it into the publicity material. Sometimes. Guided rams heads eh? Difficult to carry off without veering dangerously into horror film Cliché.

I'm afraid my limited vocabulary couldn't keep up with what you just said.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 11:12:36 am »

We've done the plush thing before.
The tread didn't end too well.
Resulting in me insulting a leading light of the Steampunk community (Very Clym but not too helpful socially)
Having successfully dug my way out of that hole after a number of months. I found I'd developed a nervous twitch regarding the subject matter.

I am a libertine by nature however and I honestly believe that if it floats your boat you should be allowed to run around naked with a rubber glove on your head screaming "HI! I'M A SQUID!"

As a result I find myself torn between defending the strangely wonderful and keeping my head in the trenches.

This results in a half ass, candy coated "awww! Guys! Can't we all just get along?" post that you see above.

The second part of my reply was directed at you.

Namely walking round in a bejewelled helm of anything from the Bovidae family (ram, sheep, goat etc) might look a bit TV 60-70 horror film occulty. Might be the look your going for: one image many messages but it would be bad form of me not to point it out. 
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:34 am »

ah, thank you

...don't worry for now I'm too poor to afford a fursuit anyway.(you could buy a car for the price of a whole fursuit it's not even funny) and be aware that it won't be head-only, but includes the rest of the sheep as well, and I might go for the toony look, which means it won't even really look like a sheep.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:47:56 am by Caledonian » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 07:51:48 pm »

Started here.
)snip)
I decided to keep the forehead plate shown in the photo, and lenghten his horns so the horn things can be added too. I think I'll make it into a kind of armour but I'm not jet exactly sure how.
also keeping his kilt but changing it's colour and adding some spats above his (needly polished) hooves.

(snip)

Didn't some medieval battering rams have a carved ram's head, or is that just an invention for cinema? I any case,  could such a thing be of any inspiration for the armour?

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 07:58:45 pm »

Started here.
)snip)

(snip)

Didn't some medieval battering rams have a carved ram's head, or is that just an invention for cinema? I any case,  could such a thing be of any inspiration for the armour?

Yours,
Miranda.

quick research shows most battle rams were pointed at the end, to pierce through walls
but I also found this etching:

which has indeed a rams head, but it's not armoured...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »

Started here.
)snip)

(snip)

Yours,
Miranda.

quick research shows most battle rams were pointed at the end, to pierce through walls
but I also found this etching:

which has indeed a rams head, but it's not armoured...

I'm sure I've seen something like this a film, but I can't think what it was. I don't think it was one of
the Lord of the Rings ones. Maybe the Ridley Scott Robin Hood one? The details of that film is a bit hazy in my memory; I think I was too busy trying to follow Rusell Crowe's accent around the country...

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 10:00:55 pm »

quick questions:
Mustache yes or no?
beard, too much like a goat or no?
thing on his forehead, does it look right?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »

Laird Dalzell C. Overshear
initials engraved in the plate on his forehead, silver in the hornpieces to ward of werewolves.
Blackface sheep can have withe markings on their faces, which I used to give him a kind of mustache...
the rest, I have no idea.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 12:05:27 am »

Depending on your natural level of perverse humor, a possibility might be taken from historically-existent Chinese war maces.

More than a few exist in museum collections that, instead of the usual Western "flanges" have the Chinese pictograph character for "Long Life/Longevity" deeply-cast into their surfaces.

What better "killing joke" to imprint on someone who received  a "head butt" from such a helmet?

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 07:48:01 pm »

Depending on your natural level of perverse humor, a possibility might be taken from historically-existent Chinese war maces.

More than a few exist in museum collections that, instead of the usual Western "flanges" have the Chinese pictograph character for "Long Life/Longevity" deeply-cast into their surfaces.

What better "killing joke" to imprint on someone who received  a "head butt" from such a helmet?

Hm. I'll think about that! I don't know if Dalzell would know any chinese, or how he would, But I'll look it up!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 10:46:00 am »

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 07:38:16 pm »

There can only be one...  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.