The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 01:53:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What items of modern clothing would be IMPOSSIBLE to make Steampunk? ;)  (Read 5721 times)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »

I've done that.  I used a brown pair and added various bits and pieces.  Crocs hole pattern give you lots of places to attach things.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »

I've done that.  I used a brown pair and added various bits and pieces.  Crocs hole pattern give you lots of places to attach things.

Pics or it didn't happen!  Shocked
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 07:46:49 am »

Sorry, none available right now.  I don't even have a camera phone.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »

I'd like to see someone try to make steampunkish versions of wooden shoes/clogs

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »

Sorry, none available right now.  I don't even have a camera phone.

That's probably a good thing; imagining a pair of Steampunk'd Crocs is bad enough!  Wink

Of course, you know I immediately had to go looking to see who else had done Steampunk'd Crocs, 'cause you just know someone else has, but all I could find were these:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/321725967102096736/

Oh, aetherweb, you have failed me!

But, hark, what's this?

http://archive.feedblitz.com/150060/~4088224
Safety Crocs?

Well, it's a start...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:24:18 pm by GCCC » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 07:39:04 pm »

Your wish is the aetherweb's command:

Altered wooden clog (steampunk) challenge for The Craft Hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sdeAOQ5EFg

(Although I don't know why she couldn't have been bothered to put some gears on it, for cryin' out loud...)*

*In case you don't get that reference, see here: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 08:18:44 pm »

There are cogs/gears on it.

To me this screams Glue a Gear on and call it steampunk.  Just randomly adding everything you can think of to an object should NOT be steampunk. 

Proper steampunk should be a thought out as to the possible purpose of the stuff put on an item.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »

There are cogs/gears on it.

To me this screams Glue a Gear on and call it steampunk.  Just randomly adding everything you can think of to an object should NOT be steampunk. 

Proper steampunk should be a thought out as to the possible purpose of the stuff put on an item.

Hunh. The most "Steampunk" thing I could see on those clogs was the watch face. You must have a higher resolution than I do.

But yes, those clogs are a classic example of Steampunk-As-Applied-By-Someone-Who-Doesn't-Understand-Steampunk.

I think the challenge of this thread, however, is to make something legitimately steamy out of something that doesn't otherwise lend itself to Steampunk.

(I couldn't/wouldn't do it myself, but I love the group that Nerf'd their Steampunk rather than Steampunking their Nerfs. That was certainly thinking outside the box!)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:05 pm »

Been thinking about this one...If one could add a small dirigible or a governor to the toe of each clog, and perhaps install a working piston to the outside (well, obviously the outside of the shoe, but I mean as opposed to the inside-thigh-side) powered by a watch battery...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 10:08:30 pm »

Been thinking about this one...If one could add a small dirigible or a governor to the toe of each clog, and perhaps install a working piston to the outside (well, obviously the outside of the shoe, but I mean as opposed to the inside-thigh-side) powered by a watch battery...

Would flapping wings be a better idea on the (outer right/left) side of the clogs?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 10:27:02 pm »

Clogs are legitimately steam-punk in themselves and were commonly worn as safety footwear for foundries and glassworks. As well as giving good protection from heat and impact they are easy to take off quickly if molten metal etc gets inside them. http://www.clogs.co.uk/boot%20clogs.htm

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
anya_elizabeth
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »

Am I terrible for thinking these aren't actually THAT far off being a credible Steampunk item? Even sans cog attachments, I mean.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:00:57 pm by anya_elizabeth » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:03 am »

Yes. Yes, you are.  Wink

(But seriously, folks...)

I suppose when you get right down to it, Crocs are just a modern clog in rubber form. If we apply that to the information supplied by Narsil, then it's not that far a leap to imagine clogs made of gutta-percha for use by medical personnel in surgeries* or any other profession where one has to stand in one place for long periods of time and/or be in damp enviornments.

*My first encounter with rubber clogs (I don't know if they were the Croc brand or not, of if that brand even existed yet) was in a hospital. When I finally got up the chutzpah to ask one of the staff about it, she explained they were perfect for hospital work because they were waterproof (body fluids), were very comfortable (thick rubber soles) and could be sterilized in the autoclave (I don't know if you can do that with "normal" Crocs).
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »

Those in that particular color and style are on the verge, I agree. Smiley

Waterproof sans holes. Tongue

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »

Those in that particular color and style are on the verge, I agree. Smiley

Waterproof sans holes. Tongue

Yes; the ones the hospital workers wore did not have any ventilation holes.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 01:09:49 pm »

Would flapping wings be a better idea on the (outer right/left) side of the clogs?

"Working" wings would also be awesome.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2015, 07:00:44 am »

Clogs are legitimately steam-punk in themselves and were commonly worn as safety footwear for foundries and glassworks. As well as giving good protection from heat and impact they are easy to take off quickly if molten metal etc gets inside them. http://www.clogs.co.uk/boot%20clogs.htm

Fair point. Though I wore wooden shoes throughout my childhood and I'd know some improvements.
-Spikes, for better stance on muddy grassland
-external soles so when your clog is worn out you can just replace the sole instead of ditching the whole thing because it broke. (Mine broke walking through the field, stood on a rock... next thing I need to cross the 'pregnant cow patch' on just one)
And something to protect one against this terribly loaded electric wire my grandpa used. O_o
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »

Fair point. Though I wore wooden shoes throughout my childhood and I'd know some improvements.

Golf klompens it is, then!

-external soles so when your clog is worn out you can just replace the sole instead of ditching the whole thing because it broke. (Mine broke walking through the field, stood on a rock... next thing I need to cross the 'pregnant cow patch' on just one)
And something to protect one against this terribly loaded electric wire my grandpa used. O_o

Thick, removable soles of gutta percha?

Add a small amount of apergy or cavorite to an insole for lift and the mechanical wings for direction, and one could avoid cow patties altogether!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 08:45:48 am »

Golf klompens it is, then!

Thick, removable soles of gutta percha?

Add a small amount of apergy or cavorite to an insole for lift and the mechanical wings for direction, and one could avoid cow patties altogether!

Perhaps we could make the soles in a way that allows you to change soles for different purposes. Like, earlier named spikes, but also skating irons for winter, etc... you probably have more ideas than I have.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 05:22:42 pm »

Perhaps we could make the soles in a way that allows you to change soles for different purposes. Like, earlier named spikes, but also skating irons for winter, etc... you probably have more ideas than I have.

Actually, I was thinking along the exact same lines. And, frankly, once I'd thought about it some more, I'm surprised no one's thought to do a rubber sole on a klompen before, especially in this day and age.

I had a pair of rubber outer...well, let's call them shells, since I don't recall what they were actually called...for a pair of tennis shoes once. I'd wrestle them on for doing things in the wet. (I really despise rubber boots; they slide around on my feet and I ultimately sweat inside them so much it's as though I'd been tromping around barefoot anyway.) So I'm a bit confused as to why some clever entrepreneur has not already marketed rubber "outsoles" for klompens by now.

I can envision them easily enough...There's a hard rubber sole, a half-inch to an inch thick, that conforms to the bottom of the klompen, with a slightly more flexible "lip" that proceeds up and secures the outsole to the shoe. One could even add a narrow(ish) rubber strap across the arch that secures with a rubber nib on the opposing side of the lip as a safety in case the friction fails for some reason.

The advantages would be numerous...ease on the feet and back from providing a cushion between the ground and the klompen, protection of the klompen on rocky terrain, cheaper and easier to replace than the klompen itself...one could even have a pair with rubber spikes/cleats for occasions when extra traction is needed.

Again, this seems such an obvious and simple solution I'm aghast no one's thought of it before me.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 06:09:56 pm »

It's not completely unheard off, though! My great grandpa was a skatemaker. Who would make wooden add-ons for under klompen. This would be an additional skating iron secured with leather strips around the klomp.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 07:27:04 pm »

Heck, that's pretty Steampunk right there; converting something from its original intention into something marvelous!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 06:51:29 am »

Sorry, none available right now.  I don't even have a camera phone.

That's probably a good thing; imagining a pair of Steampunk'd Crocs is bad enough!  Wink

Of course, you know I immediately had to go looking to see who else had done Steampunk'd Crocs, 'cause you just know someone else has, but all I could find were these:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/321725967102096736/

Oh, aetherweb, you have failed me!

But, hark, what's this?

http://archive.feedblitz.com/150060/~4088224
Safety Crocs?

Well, it's a start...

AAAGGGGGHHHH!!! Curses! Foiled again!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 04:48:21 pm »

Well, it's very thick foil...  Grin
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 07:05:59 pm »

Item of clothing impossible to Steampunk?  One of Madonna's bras- 3" cogs on the tips just don't make it!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: