The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 09:56:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to wear a pocket watch without pockets?  (Read 2949 times)
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« on: August 08, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »

So about 2-3 Christmas's ago I got a beautiful skeleton pocket watch as a gift from my parents. However I'm a female and for some reason the majority of clothing companies think that we women couldn't possibly have any needs for pockets at all. Do you guys know anyway to wear pocket watches without pockets? as i'd like to wear it more often rather than it be stuck in its box.
(Its a Barefoot Tiger Holmes~Baker 'Bohemia' Pocket Watch if that helps.)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:30:48 am »

These mesh chains and fobs are commonly available on Ebay and can be clipped to trousers, skirt, or corset.  Some have clips that can be changed out for pins.

Earlier Regency watch "chains" were often ribbon or horse hair and worn under the waistcoat.

-Karl
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 12:38:59 am »

If you would rather lean towards the more modern there are wrist bands (also available on Ebay) for pocket watches.  This became the rage in the early 20th century since aviators had trouble checking their pocket watch worn in a pocket and everyone wanted desperately to be as cool as aviators.

Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:12 am »

Thank you very much Smiley looks like i'll definitely be taking a look on Etsy later
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:10:34 am »

I wear mine (well, one them) on a chain, as in:

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. the chain was simply a necklace from a charity shop.
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »

A few young ladies I know will drop certain valuables down their cleavage - Could you not do this with your watch ?

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:49:26 pm »

A few young ladies I know will drop certain valuables down their cleavage - Could you not do this with your watch ?

Hahahahaha I wish, I'm a size 4 top (US size 1) and practically flat chested lol
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:55 am »

Well then, take advantage of your situation by making a corset or modifying a corset top into a container covered in lace to hold many a thing. Pocket watch, dial up phone, change purse, flask, sewing kit, spy glass, sonic screwdriver, maps, mini crossbow, holy water bottle, etc., etc.
Could be a hit.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 07:45:11 am »

Well then, take advantage of your situation by making a corset or modifying a corset top into a container covered in lace to hold many a thing. Pocket watch, dial up phone, change purse, flask, sewing kit, spy glass, sonic screwdriver, maps, mini crossbow, holy water bottle, etc., etc.
Could be a hit.
You my friend are a genius
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 01:28:12 pm »

If it has a loop on the top (they usually do, for the watch-chain), the simplest and cheapest way is to thread it on a ribbon and wear it around your neck. Black velvet is nice.
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:21:19 am »

The danger of making the top too large and packing it with just about every conceivable device is that you end up being top heavy. Young Miss Aemillia is a tiny lady, so I'd be tempted to suggest just a watch one side, and a small flask the other. Weaponry and other heavy items would be best left to a dashing young knight on a white stallion.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:42 am »

The danger of making the top too large and packing it with just about every conceivable device is that you end up being top heavy. Young Miss Aemillia is a tiny lady, so I'd be tempted to suggest just a watch one side, and a small flask the other. Weaponry and other heavy items would be best left to a dashing young knight on a white stallion.
I can assure you Serrac I am strong even with such a small stature so would be more than capable to carry weaponry and the like around Smiley (I can understand your concern people often assume because I am small I am weak but I suppose that makes for a good laugh to see their surprised faces as I carry heavy stuff from point A to point B or lift weights at the gym)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 11:04:41 pm »

The problem with pocket watches is they're often quite delicate mechanisms. Having them swinging freely around isn't necessarily a good idea, hence the pocket part. It does depend on the watch of course. I did post a whole set of photos of Vicwardian era ladies wearing them ages ago. I'll try and find a couple as examples, but suffice to say sewing a little watch pocket into a blouse or skirt might be advisable. Another idea is you could wear it on a chatelaine type thing, but again swinging about not necessarily the smart move, so the watch cuff might be preferable. Anyway here you go, two ladies with discreet watch pockets, and one with a chatelaine on which you could attach a bunch of stuff (and boy they did).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 12:41:07 am »

Never under estimate the petite. Wink

Now, as shown above in photo 2, is something along the lines in which i was thinking, well kinda. Hide everything under there and imagine the looks as you pull item after item out! And, of course, not all must be made heavy. There's plenty a small plastic raygun around that look very good steamed up.

Maybe a brass bicycle horn would be needed to announce your 'coming through' for all those unaware of your unassuming strength. *was that worded correctly?*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: