The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 19, 2021, 01:00:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hitchhiking Robot Murdered in Philadelphia  (Read 948 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:55 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/us/hitchhiking-robot-safe-in-several-countries-meets-its-end-in-philadelphia.html

I can't find an article to confirm it, but NPR's facebook page says that a makers' club in Philadelphia may rebuild the robot and send it on its way. The robot traveled several countries before being destroyed by a Philly vandal.

The robot and its travels remind me of the Boilerplate we site with its depiction of a robot traveling through the turn-of-the century world. I can imagine a future author writing a period novel about the robot crossing paths with famous people of our era.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:04:33 am »

What dicks!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:23:47 am »

What dicks!

Apparently it was the work of a solo dick.  Angry

I guess he was enraged that the robot was using HIS bench - afterall, were else was he going to sleep! Damn robots talking over our homes benches, RAAAAWWWLL!!!11ONE....

I hope the internet finds this guy and mocks his robot mugging skills mercilessly!  Being mocked on the internet, that never goes away. Send him to 4chan!   Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:14:17 am »

Yes there are certain hoods that defenseless robots need to steer clear of - most of Philly, Tenderloin of Boston,  most of Detroit, South Side of Chicago, much of Saint Louis,  KC (Kansas City) is "different" - if you "behave" you're ok , 5 points in Denver, East L.A. .....

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:42:34 am »

Additional news coverage of the "murder:"

HitchBOT's 'murder' thought to be captured in surveillance footage (CBC News)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:44:43 am »

I love this bit:

"The vandalism sparked disappointment on social media. Several people in the local tech community offered to fix the battered bot. Philadelphians were wary that the episode would reflect badly on the city. Others worried that it would reflect badly on all Americans."

I hear they're going to dress the next one up as a lion and take out a massive insurance policy on it. Cheesy

International relations...... A bit of an Achilles heel, may need some work.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:50:32 am by Clym Angus » Logged

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:22:44 am »

We should equip the Hitchbot Mark II with cattleprods.....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:20:56 pm by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

I like the idea of Mk2 screaming and begging for it's life. Make the person who "kills" it next time (and you can't really kill a 2 part probe like this) feel like they've committed something a bit filthy. I'm quite sure that despite the calls for no retribution the internet will happily track the vandal down.

It's something to do isn't it? Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:52:41 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:44:52 pm »

It is the opinion of some of the commenters to the article that the perpetrators are known, supporting a theory from the article:

"...While the clip above certainly seems to shed some light upon how Canada's favourite hitchhiking robot lost its life, some online have urged viewers not to trust its veracity outright. Wellens is, after all, a professional prankster.

'It could be nothing, but Bassmaster and Jesse Wellens were both 1) The last people to record video of hitchBOT in one piece and 2) The people who acquired this supposed surveillance camera footage,' wrote Gizmodo's Matt Novak Monday. 'If this was a prank, it would be a pretty s*** one.'..."

Selected comments:

"Same guy - same walk, body type and obviously his trademark #12 Cunningham jersey that "Teste" (Bassmater) wears in the videos - That is not a coincidence. What a j*rkoff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpg4SKamocE"

"...It was also captured on his Go Pro... https://twitter.com/JMJimmy1/status/628506792654471169"

"Nobody would drop the bot off in a tucked out of the way location like that."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 03:24:30 pm »

Well if the boys wanted attention. Then they appear to have their wish.
You see this is the problem when humans get "into" something. It is just a mess of wires and some clever code. But it's got a smiley face on it and it tries to talk to you.

Also you have photographs of it with your kids who are now damn near incon-****ing-solable now it's been stamped to death on a filthy Philadelphia street corner.

Your five year old wants "daddy" to find these men, gut them and hang them up with their own intestines, the funny thing is; it appears to be a fatherly duty that you might actually happily go along with......

To everyone else all we are is memory. Memory is a powerful thing....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:27:51 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 04:22:51 pm »

You see this is the problem when humans get "into" something. It is just a mess of wires and some clever code. But it's got a smiley face on it and it tries to talk to you.

Never appear to bully or 'kill' anything viewed by the people as being "cute" and "defenceless" - soft fluffy kitten or anthropomorphic robot alike... It will not end well for you.

Now if this IS a setup for a prank...... the 'internet' will not look favorably on this. As "professional pranksters", they just committed 'professional suicide'. Undecided  There are some lines you just don't cross for a prank, like rape or murder.  This one is like killing the dog who played Lassie (yeah I know, long since dead - but still...).

Some things just aren't funny.  Roll Eyes
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 06:39:02 pm »

There is fame, there is a line and then there is infamy. And you'd better bloody know which side of said line your on, before you entertain the chaos whispering to you from the back of your mind.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:08:05 am »

There is fame, there is a line and then there is infamy. And you'd better bloody know which side of said line your on, before you entertain the chaos whispering to you from the back of your mind.

And THIS dear children , is how you make a mad scientist :-)

yhs
prof (only mildly annoyed) marvel
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:11:38 pm »

Happy smiley travelling robot has evidently been found wanting. 

The next happy smiling travelling robot should be more like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6335kc5mHQ

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: