The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 10:38:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What type of banquet celebration would be your prefence ?
Military Function - 0 (0%)
Garden Party - 4 (25%)
Diplomatic Ball - 1 (6.3%)
Grand Ball - 0 (0%)
Yacht Regatta - 1 (6.3%)
Apcolypse Gathering - 0 (0%)
Atomic Celebrations - 1 (6.3%)
Burlesque - 1 (6.3%)
Street Parade - 0 (0%)
Street Party - 0 (0%)
Day at the Races - 0 (0%)
Gothic Soiree - 0 (0%)
Colonial Club Dinner Party - 3 (18.8%)
Hunt Ball - 1 (6.3%)
WW2 Swing - 0 (0%)
Other - 4 (25%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Theme of Steampunk Banquet Would You Wish To Attend  (Read 3379 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:14 am »

I am thinking  a Colonial Club Dinner Party , possibly channeling Rangoon  & the British Raj

or a perhaps a Byronesque  Gothic  soiree

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:05:56 am »

I selected "Garden Party" from the options menu as that one seems to have the least opportunity for social faux pas and one wouldn't necessarily need to know how to dance. I would otherwise have chosen "Other" except that I couldn't think what that "Other" might be.

Is there an "Other" that would occur in a library? Alternately, do mad scientists have banquets, or would everyone be too afraid to partake, not knowing what might have been slipped in to food and drinks?
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:29:21 pm »

I PLANNED to cast a vote, but it didn't "take"- will try again later.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »

Someplace with cooling arrangements, if it's to be in summertime.

Preferably somewhere in Texas ('cause I can't afford to go elsewhere).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:55:34 pm »

There was no All you can eat. So I chose the closest to it. Burlesque.  Grin

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 07:38:38 pm »

Vote other for airship regatta.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:53 pm »

Oh! Good one.

Seconded!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:59:34 pm »

I selected "Garden Party" from the options menu as that one seems to have the least opportunity for social faux pas and one wouldn't necessarily need to know how to dance. I would otherwise have chosen "Other" except that I couldn't think what that "Other" might be.

Is there an "Other" that would occur in a library? Alternately, do mad scientists have banquets, or would everyone be too afraid to partake, not knowing what might have been slipped in to food and drinks?

Imagine the fairly volatile cocktails   that a Mad scientist could conjure up !
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:02:00 pm »

Indeed; half the guests would be Hyde-ing out somewhere...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 09:09:31 pm »

Oh! Good one.

Seconded!

It could be quite a  splendid affair to make a grand entrance to a garden party  by landing  on the green strip  in an airship-

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 09:11:01 pm »

The party guests could become quite [re] animated
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 09:32:20 pm »

Oh! Good one.

Seconded!

It could be quite a  splendid affair to make a grand entrance to a garden party  by landing  on the green strip  in an airship-

Apparently we are not the first to have thought of this:

http://drakeandmctrowell.com/OnLineBooks/TBAR/TBAR_Pages/TBAR_001.html

http://arcanetimes.com/feed1/2012/10/21/the-lady-heterodyne-airship-regatta.html

http://www.steampunktribune.com/2012_01_01_archive.html

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 09:56:56 pm »

The party guests could become quite [re] animated

It would certainly be an "Alive!"-ly affair!

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/581/
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 01:48:27 am »

I PLANNED to cast a vote, but it didn't "take"- will try again later.

Got it.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 05:29:44 am »

Why of course, a dinner meeting at the Bombay Bicycle Club (there's one in San Antonio) I guess it would be somewhere between a garden party and a colonial club dinner party.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-09-06/entertainment/ca-1733_1_bombay-bicycle-club

Other than that, I sorely miss the now defunct Crystal Baking Company (CBC) also in San Antonio, who sadly shuttered doors in the mid-1980s. In fact I fould prefer a dinner party at the old Crystal Baking Company, but unless someone re-builds it, that is impossible.

The CBC featured a genuine Victorian Bar and countless giant mirrors with late 19th. C advertisements. The collection included a range between expensive Art Nouveau collectible illustrations by Alphonse Mucha and the more common Gold Foil advertisement found in the soda fountains of turn of the century American pharmacies:

There was a number of original leather Victorian Era seats and furniture, and to the side of the bar there was a restaurant featuring an indoor patio with stained glass ceiling and interior trees, with some metal park benches, gas-lamp posts and the patio was surrounded by brick walls with more Victorian advertisement signs, and a functioning small fountain.

It was wonderfully cool in the mid summer heat while sipping an ice cold Coca Cola in a glass fountain cup, after which one would order a delicious green salad (also ice cold), followed by a proper Steak or Pasta dinner.  It must have been a sad day when the closed that restaurant.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/150years/slideshow/Things-you-ll-never-see-again-in-San-Antonio-113193/photo-8308062.php

While looking up some history on John L's, I found a great article on the Crystal Baking Company. Anybody remember that place? I remember I was eating there with my family right when Hurricane Allen tore through San Antonio. I remember running to the car and the wind litteraly taking my breathe away and feeling like I was about to suffocate!
The restaurant was built to house the antique architecture and art collections of its owner, Joe Friesenhahn. Much of the art was from a french artist called "Mucha". The interior featured the gold-leaf works of Willie Schuller, a San Antonio artist and stained glass from Thomas O' Shaughnessy, who did the stained glass windows for Chicogo's St. Patrick church and Loyola university. It featured both victorian and america art. The back bar was from a 1901 salon called the Blind Pig, from someplace called Beardstown (not sure what state). The front bar was a replica of the back bar, but with a marble bar top that was once wainscotting from an old building in St. Lois called the Old Lagget and Meyers Building.
The two chandliers that still hang in the place are from the Pueblo NM Courthouse. The 10 foot rose window in the ceiling is from an 1906 New York church and other windows are from the original Four Seasons hotel in NY. The glass that seperated the main bar from the restaurant was a collection of glass from buildings in Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans. The interior doors that led to the private dinning room were from a French Castle. Sounds like an interesting place. I have been there a few times when it was a seafood restauant, and then a Mad Dog's. I hope whovever buys the place restores some of its old architecture.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:38:12 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:09 am »

Ohh. those suggestions look like a wonderful set of distractions over a fortnightly programme; just need to decide which two don't fit into the 14 evenings. Mind you, each would need a different style of outfit, and you couldn't wear the same thing twice in a row to a particular event, so a social life of that calibre would need a lot more wardrobe space...

Yours,
Miranda.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »

...I sorely miss the now defunct Crystal Baking Company (CBC) also in San Antonio, who sadly shuttered doors in the mid-1980s. In fact I fould prefer a dinner party at the old Crystal Baking Company, but unless someone re-builds it, that is impossible.

The CBC featured a genuine Victorian Bar and countless giant mirrors with late 19th. C advertisements. The collection included a range between expensive Art Nouveau collectible illustrations by Alphonse Mucha and the more common Gold Foil advertisement found in the soda fountains of turn of the century American pharmacies:

There was a number of original leather Victorian Era seats and furniture, and to the side of the bar there was a restaurant featuring an indoor patio with stained glass ceiling and interior trees, with some metal park benches, gas-lamp posts and the patio was surrounded by brick walls with more Victorian advertisement signs, and a functioning small fountain.

It was wonderfully cool in the mid summer heat while sipping an ice cold Coca Cola in a glass fountain cup, after which one would order a delicious green salad (also ice cold), followed by a proper Steak or Pasta dinner.  It must have been a sad day when the closed that restaurant.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/150years/slideshow/Things-you-ll-never-see-again-in-San-Antonio-113193/photo-8308062.php

While looking up some history on John L's, I found a great article on the Crystal Baking Company. Anybody remember that place? I remember I was eating there with my family right when Hurricane Allen tore through San Antonio. I remember running to the car and the wind litteraly taking my breathe away and feeling like I was about to suffocate!
The restaurant was built to house the antique architecture and art collections of its owner, Joe Friesenhahn. Much of the art was from a french artist called "Mucha". The interior featured the gold-leaf works of Willie Schuller, a San Antonio artist and stained glass from Thomas O' Shaughnessy, who did the stained glass windows for Chicogo's St. Patrick church and Loyola university. It featured both victorian and america art. The back bar was from a 1901 salon called the Blind Pig, from someplace called Beardstown (not sure what state). The front bar was a replica of the back bar, but with a marble bar top that was once wainscotting from an old building in St. Lois called the Old Lagget and Meyers Building.
The two chandliers that still hang in the place are from the Pueblo NM Courthouse. The 10 foot rose window in the ceiling is from an 1906 New York church and other windows are from the original Four Seasons hotel in NY. The glass that seperated the main bar from the restaurant was a collection of glass from buildings in Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans. The interior doors that led to the private dinning room were from a French Castle. Sounds like an interesting place. I have been there a few times when it was a seafood restauant, and then a Mad Dog's. I hope whovever buys the place restores some of its old architecture.

The loss of this establishment (or more specifically, its collection) verges on the criminal, by the sound of things.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »

What Theme of Steampunk Banquet Would You Wish To Attend

Ummmmm  an evening dedicated to my happy retirement as a very successful author, celebrated of course by my "adoring" fans...

I mean.... "IF" I get to pick and all.....

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 05:20:04 pm »

Although it was difficult to decide how to vote, I chose "Other." I am envisioning a banquet for an imaginary scientific society's annual awards dinner, with a menu inspired by mad science, exploration and time travel. There could be awards, speeches and demonstrations of discoveries and inventions made over the previous year.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:13 pm »

Airship regatta sounds fun.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 06:29:48 pm »

...I sorely miss the now defunct Crystal Baking Company (CBC) also in San Antonio, who sadly shuttered doors in the mid-1980s. In fact I fould prefer a dinner party at the old Crystal Baking Company, but unless someone re-builds it, that is impossible.

The loss of this establishment (or more specifically, its collection) verges on the criminal, by the sound of things.

Quite possibly the owner of the establishment and collector of items is dead after all these years.  But I would love to see if someone could re start the concept.  It was such an easy formula, and it died long before the tech boom of the 1990s in Austin, which ever since has supported a myriad of theme restaurants.  In Austin at least I'm sure one could keep the restaurant alive.

Makes you want to contact the family and explore ideas. I just heard we now have a Steampunk bar in Austin.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »

On Yer Bike !!!

Mr Gooogle  says there are several Bombay  Bicycle Clubs across the globe.  The concept does have an interesting history.

I say bring back the times when clubs and venues had  evocative  and exotic names and themes.

Will Colonial club  be the new trend to sweep through like a monsoon ,  toppling  Irish Bars in their wake  ??

Guess where these ones are    [ for the mature drinker]  Wink

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:03 pm »

...I just heard we now have a Steampunk bar in Austin.

I just heard Headhunters/Metal and Lace closed, so is this what you're talking about?
http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-09-15-west-sixth-bar-steampunk-saloon-opal-divines/
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 01:45:22 am »

On Yer Bike !!!

Mr Gooogle  says there are several Bombay  Bicycle Clubs across the globe.  The concept does have an interesting history.

I say bring back the times when clubs and venues had  evocative  and exotic names and themes.

Will Colonial club  be the new trend to sweep through like a monsoon ,  toppling  Irish Bars in their wake  ??

Guess where these ones are    [ for the mature drinker]  Wink

Is the last one in San Antonio? Looks familiar.  Or are those all Down Under?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:47:44 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:50 am »

I think that a 1920s style country house party has a lot of possibilities as it potentially includes a lot of  the individual elements as you could have an afternoon garden party with games and entertainments  and am evening dinner. There is also a high statistical probability that at least one of the guests will either be murdered or discover a nest of Prussian spies which always adds to the fun.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: