The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 06:39:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big game dentist  (Read 4457 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:40 am »

Did anyone understand that last post?  Undecided

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 10:41:50 am »

<throws philosophy book out the window, and picks up a copy of "Gentleman's Relish"

Splendidly bad or splendidly good is still splendid. You are both.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:38 pm »

Within each Jekyll is a lurking Hyde, and vice-versa. We each possess the potential for great good and great evil. The trick is to find the right balance, and know when to turn up our Hyde a bit or turn up our Jekyll a bit, as situationally appropriate.

(Did I get that right?)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 04:42:21 pm »

Within each Jekyll is a lurking Hyde, and vice-versa. We each possess the potential for great good and great evil. The trick is to find the right balance, and know when to turn up our Hyde a bit or turn up our Jekyll a bit, as situationally appropriate.

(Did I get that right?)

In the shell of the rough and tumble Steampunk I see digitally before be; beats the heart of a philosopher! Top shelf thinking...... HAZZAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocUQvzZqBU
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:45:15 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 05:17:23 pm »

In the shell of the rough and tumble Steampunk I see digitally before be; beats the heart of a philosopher! Top shelf thinking...... HAZZAH!

First: Thank you.

Second:  That was awesome! I lost quite a bit of time recovering from laughing so hard!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2015, 07:17:02 pm »

I NEED to get me some of that Rum!

And some Woods 100, oh and some Kraken, and some pusser's....

I need RUM!

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 12:46:08 am »

Excellent & thought-provoking words, gentlemen. In reading about hunting, I have noted a dark/light Jekyll/Hyde theme among hunters like Hemingway and Jim Corbett (The Man-Eaters of Kumaon).  Both were lifelong big-game hunters, but both had a kind of honor code.  Hemingway wrote a short story about a hunter who fell short of the code; it is quite a delicate piece of ethical sensitivity.  And Jim Corbett recounts a story about meeting an enormous tiger in a jungle clearing when he was a boy; they paused, gazed into each others' eyes, and passed by.  The tiger was not hungry.  Corbett never hunted a tiger that was not a rogue, crippled, ancient, and subsequently an eater of villagers.

So splendid ferocity between hunter and dangerous prey; with risk and honor.  Going after the dentist en masse anonymously and spitefully is like beating a tiger out of a covert with a regiment of men.  But he behaved in a cowardly and cruel manner himself.  So both sides of the controversy are being side tracked by issues of conservation and legal jurisdiction and the privileges of wealth and anthropomorphism in naming individual lions and so forth, but perhaps basically the outrage is more of a playground cry:

"That was not fair!"

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2015, 04:29:04 am »

Wonderfully condensed, Miss Periscope!

I will have to agree that something should be done to and/or against the man whom people are calling "the dentist" (Erm. not to distract from the actual topic, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)

Perhaps it's my inner villainous side's (As Clym has opined, we all have such) fear of persecution by...let's call them "purveyors of goodness"... but I still think it's not exactly good to hound the fellow to death. Maybe to the brink, but not to the completion thereof.

Then again, my inner lawdog/vigilante wants to hang him high from the nearest oak of sufficient height and girth (or gallows, if lacking a suitable tree), so I suppose I'm just as bad as everybody else.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2015, 06:35:46 am »

My interests are more mundane.  I just want the dude to abide by the law.  Humans are, according to the University of Victoria, "super predators." Far be it for me to deny our hunting instinct.  But if we recognise that we are hunting a given species to extinction without having cause to do so, then we need to STOP.  No excuses.  Getting a trophy for your wall is not socially acceptable any more, and much less for trivial reasons as those we see in the First World.

Send him to Africa to face the law.

I'm not advocating his demise. He will pay a hefty fine and or face some jailtime. He will make some new friends, and come back with a few more parasites in the gut Grin

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2015, 05:24:52 pm »

I NEED to get me some of that Rum!

And some Woods 100, oh and some Kraken, and some pusser's....

I need RUM!

Your not the only one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Kf7QPLsvs

Getting back on topic. To lure a perfectly viable dominant male lion away from his pride so you can categorically fail is worthy of derision. He failed to pick his target, he failed to select the correct weapon to dispatch the animal cleanly and efficiently, he failed to assess the results of his actions and he failed to take responsibility for them.

I will not reward failure. The British education system does that too much already. (Are too many people getting A's? Do we make the exams harder? NO! lets just invent better A's like A* and AA or A+) also the entire US education system and "trigger warning" and microaggression". Do we confront difficult topics and subject matter that we find personally challenging? NO! Lets make it the fault of the person asking the question.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:51:37 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 08:26:01 am »

On the topic of 3d modelling a trophy, this sounds like a realisticly viable idea for big game, I was reading in the national geographic just last month about taxidermists that  can reproduce very realistic models of animals without using any original part of the animal in question. I imagine it would be expensive to get this kind of skill, but for someone able and willing to spend 50k for the real thing its probably not an object.

Trophy mounts of fish can be done exclusively from photos these days, iirc. Personally I fish for food and sport, trophies for me are generally accidental (hooking rare big fish while targeting smaller ones of the same species.) I want to go trophy fishing for northern pike someday and catch one for a wall-mount, but I plan to do it only if I can put that huge fish back in the water after getting photos.

It would be cool if faux taxidermy from photos could make big game 'trophies' and photography 'hunts' a socially acceptable thing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:28:44 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Jimbob
Deck Hand

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:39 am »

I have seen hunting trips where you are equipped with a rifle-like device that is really a camera with a long lens and cross hairs on the site. You get all the thrill of hunting and end up with a photograph trophy with cross hairs on where the "shot" would have been. This seems like a win-win scenario to me.
Don't get me wrong - I have shot and ate woodpigeon as they are now in such numbers to be classified as a pest (although I accept this is not a universally accepted description).

JB
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2015, 10:26:33 am »

In some indian cultures the highest honour for a warrior was "touching" his enemy.
In a nutshell you got kudos points for closeness. 
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2015, 04:10:44 pm »

In some indian cultures the highest honour for a warrior was "touching" his enemy.
In a nutshell you got kudos points for closeness. 

"Counting coup", it was called. The idea was that anyone can kill, but it takes real skill and chutzpah to get close enough to touch the enemy.

On the topic of 3d modelling a trophy, this sounds like a realistically viable idea for big game, I was reading in the National Geographic just last month about taxidermists that  can reproduce very realistic models of animals without using any original part of the animal in question. I imagine it would be expensive to get this kind of skill, but for someone able and willing to spend 50k for the real thing its probably not an object....

...It would be cool if faux taxidermy from photos could make big game ''trophies'' and photography ''hunts'' a socially acceptable thing.

If they can get that down to a "reasonable" dollar figure, that would be awesome, especially for Steampunks. Mounted in your trophy room at home or in the parlor of your dirigible, your lions and tigers and bears (oh, my!) can share wall space with your allosaurus, triceratops, banth, white ape, rotik, tharban, Milton’s drunken fussock, dimple-backed vroxel...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: