The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 01:03:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Try the Revigorator, get some of that radium glow in your cheeks  (Read 779 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« on: July 25, 2015, 06:45:06 am »

The Revigorator is one of the many health products from back when people thought radiation was good for you. A container with radium and uranium that you filled with water, which you then drank later. Not only did that water contain more energy than modern energy drinks, it was also more likely to give you wings. Or perhaps some extra fingers.
Some scientists in 2009 decided to test it out, see just how bad it would be for you.

http://io9.com/scientists-tested-the-revigorator-a-vintage-uranium-he-1720025527

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:20:40 am »

Radioactive drinking water? Heavy! Roll Eyes

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 07:26:11 am »

Much of the mineral water you buy in shops also has a lot of radioactive trace elements.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:55:26 am »

Much of the mineral water you buy in shops also has a lot of radioactive trace elements.

Yes but they are not selling it for the radiation in those minerals.  When was the last time that Perrier proudly announced that it contained "vital minerals such as uranium and radium"?

Mind you bananas and apricots are mildly radioactive as they contain 3 isotopes of potassium, and 40K happens to be unstable.  You could always say that "bananas provide a healthy dose of natural radiation."

It's interesting that the Revigorator water decanter actually was poisoning people, but not due to radioactive isotopes, but rather because it leaked high relatively high levels lead and arsenic into the water...

When scientists tested the exposure to radiation that people would get, they were pleasantly surprised. The Revigorator did give off radon gas, which got into both the air and the water. While the levels exceeded EPA restrictions, the amount of radiation a person would get from either would have been minor, especially if they lived in a house with just a bit of a draft.
The real problem was that the Revigorator leaked its materials into the water. Those materials included uranium and vanadium, of course, but also arsenic and lead. Some of the water contained 300 times the maximum safe level of arsenic. Some contained 20 times the maximum allowable level of lead. So, the people drinking it were actually poisoning themselves—just not in the way they paid for.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:56:16 pm »

Arsenic is rather good for the skin, though, isn't it?  Even if the lead would make you irritable, your face would glow.

Himalayan pink salt is also a bit radioactive.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: