The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2021, 05:21:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm looking for a ...  (Read 987 times)
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »

As the first in this topic:

I'm looking for a carpenter who can build me a house extension in wood incorporating some Victorian windows and stained glass and leaded panels that I already have.  South east London, England.  Preferably someone with appropriate City and Guilds qualifications and who has worked on old properties before.  Anyone?
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:32:05 am »

I'd be intrerested seeing WIP pictures on this.

Have you thought about sandwiching the stains and panels inside a double glazed unit?

Depending on the age and quality a 4-12-4, 4-16-4 toughened might just do the trick, a little bit of thermal bonus, protects the stain from damage and easier to clean.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:32:10 pm »

Now that is a splendid idea.  Happy to post pics if I ever find someone able and willing to take on the job.  Have you any suggestions as to where I might go to find the appropriate craftsman?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:33:39 am »

Have you any suggestions as to where I might go to find the appropriate craftsman?
In my kitchen, building new cabinets. Unfortunately he's fully booked until next Easter, at which point he's starting work on building two houses in Anglesey. I've never employed a perfectionist builder before, it's wonderful!

From my recent experience this will be your problem - all the good builders are so in demand that they are booked up for most of the next year. Best of luck and if I hear of anyone I'll let you know.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 09:34:48 am »

I can give you one here, but unfortunately, the commute would be a killer!
He did my renovations in 2013, and is an anal-retentive, micro-obsessive perfectionist, and my house will never fall down! (unless someone drops a bomb on it!)
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:13:40 pm »

Oh wow, a perfectionist builder.  My goodness me!

I'd wait a year to get one of those.  *green with envy*
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 02:41:31 pm »

The deck boards are individually shaped around a circular hot water service to the tolerance of the thickness of a matchstick or less!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 05:27:16 pm »

Why does it have to be wood?

This project has me interested, too far to travel tho' and I'm booked up for ever.

Advice is free and am more than willing to help in any way possible.

Here's a few stains I banged in a couple of years ago......
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 11:03:30 pm »

It has to be wood because the house is a listed building, Victorian.  And the lady in the planning department said so.

I have a glass shop round the corner.  Would it be worth going in there and asking if the chap knows someone who could do the job?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 07:35:33 pm »

I have a glass shop round the corner.  Would it be worth going in there and asking if the chap knows someone who could do the job?
Definitely.
Not sure where you are exactly, but somewhere near you is South London Stained Glass and Art with Glass, amongst others. The problem will be finding someone who is willing to recreate a Victorian style rather than something new (assuming that this is what you want). I have a trade catalogue of Stained Glass designs from Baxendale's of Manchester from 1904 with several pages of standard designs. I could photograph them and send you the pics if you like - pm me if so.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 10:03:34 pm »

Well, Sir Henry, those contacts have sent me scurrying around looking for local stained glass places.  Such fun.  I have a couple of local places that I will phone next week and see if they have a carpenter who would be interested in the work.

Thanks for the offer of designs;  maybe when I have found someone willing and able to do the work I will take you up on that.  Meanwhile I am hopeful - of being passed too and fro and having people come who shake their heads and whistle through their teeth!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: