The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 01:39:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan + 'Happy' Goth = WHAT?  (Read 1420 times)
caramelwhistle
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Reductio ad Absurdum

caramelwhistle
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:54:58 pm »

I've started dating this fantastic woman who has an obsession with two things the Goth culture and the Tim Burton film 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

How do I know her?  There is a lot of crossover between Goth and Steampunk and I'm definitely Steampunk.

I've been 'forced' to go away to Japan for a month on work and picking out a few knick-knacks is easy but finding something so niche from the huge Japanese culture will be hard without a little help

I'm open to any and all suggestions, book, film, music, comic, costume, clothing, anything.  (Subtitles are fine.)

The Nightmare Before Christmas has a gothic or dark vibe to it and is generally happy I think.

So something I can buy in Tokyo that is Japanese, Goth-y and Happy I'd like something similar.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Join Steampunk: Milton Keynes and Northampton
Find Us on: MeetupFacebook and Twiter

Attended Events: Steampunk at the Seaside 2013 + 2014
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:04:30 pm »

I don't think Nightmare Before Christmas is all that happy. How about something with that lolita thing they have in japan, that is kind of neo-gothic. Not neo-neo-gothic but neo-gothic like the victorians. I would search for picture examples but searching the word Lolita in Google might put me on some government watchlist.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:02:13 pm »

Try looking for "Baby Metal". But be prepared for a real culture shock  Shocked

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 12:02:16 am »

[mod]While I agree goth has crossover with steampunk, I don't think this thread quite fits in AO. Fire up the topic hauling airship![/mod]

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 12:16:56 am »

The district of Harajuku should have all the Lolita Goth fashion and Akihabara all the manga/anime stuff.

There's a really dark and active night club scene with 1001 goth-fusion concepts out there.  Google "ARTiSM"

The Tokyo Inventors Society is the Steampunk group in Tokyo. And MaRy and Jet from the band Strange Artifact are registered in Brassgoggles.  See the Steampunk in Japan thread here on BG for names and contacts (Twitter, home pages and Facebook mostly.  Jet and Mary have their own Steampunk shop called "Poorman's Gold Label." You might want to give em a call.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38619.0.html

http://www.strangeartifact.jp/

Also for a nerdy guide to Japan, look up this site:

http://DannyChoo.com (Culture Japan).  This is the business website of a Malay/Chinese British expat who moved to Japan and is the "popular culture ambassador" of Japan (he lives in Tokyo).  You will find all sorts of trivia there, but less on the Gothy side of things...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:43:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 04:42:34 am »

Baby Metal is metal not Goth.

If it is,....

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:30:23 am »

Baby Metal is metal not Goth.

If it is,....

Like comparing apples to bananas.  Baby Metal sing to Death Metal, a music genre.  While their apparel style is not Lolita Goth, they could dress Lolita Goth, which is a fashion aesthetic.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 11:41:03 am »

may I come by and inform you about the japanese band Versailles?
I was still in the anime fandom when I found this band
Versailles - The Revenant Choir

the clip is worth watching.

I struggle and arise
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »

EDIT:  Ms. Caledonian: the video above is not available in some parts (US) due to copyright issues (blocked by YouTube)!

I would then also bring the band Rose Noire, with the very Gothy front couple Jill and Louie, but they are not necessarily "happy." They are more of a Goth type who play "Neo-Classical" or "Neo-Baroque" music as they describe it.  I'd call it Metal-Classical fusion

Rose Noire [Alice] MV FULL

Mobile: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKd2reuSqis

Rose Noire [FEED] MV FULL

Mobile: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jFV-tPoFC60
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:52:49 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 08:15:24 pm »

Both my daughter and niece got into Nightmare Before Christmas at a very young age* and went on to get into loligoth and Japanese culture (niece now teaches English in Japan). When they were teens, they both independently got into BJD (ball-jointed dolls) an offshoot of the loligoth scene apparently. It got them both into making outfits and accessories, creating personas and biographies - in short, all sorts of creativity came from the things.
Caramelwhistle, you might find something suitable and affordable in Japan. The official dolls are insanely expensive, but you may have access to cheaper, but still reasonable quality dolls there. With the advent of 3d printing there must be a drop in prices since 5 years ago, surely.
Just googled and there are way more styles now - but be warned, if you find Babymetal freaky, this will cause Extreme Culture Clash!

* As a toddler, when it was time for her afternoon nap she would ask "Nightmare?" then fall asleep to it, usually before it got to her favourite song, 'What's This?'

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:09:30 pm »

I'm a goth, who also likes steampunk literature and style influences hence my involvement in this forum.

I have been wearing lolita fashion (which is a fashion style which began with EGL and now encompasses gothic lolita, but also a variety of other styles like classic lolita and sweet lolita) for about two years. In those two years I have learned a lot about lolita fashion and a bit about japanese culture. Lolita is a very difficult style to understand without a great deal of research - even coming from 8 years plus of goth, I found it confusing to find clothes I liked, in good quality, that would fit me (even though at 5'3" and petite I'm closer in body type to the japanese clothing market than most European girls).

There is a lot of variable quality clothing out there that looks something like lolita - but really is meant for cosplay, maid-style or is just closer to costumes worn by characters in anime with a 'loli' influence (trust me when I say that lolita fashion and loli/lolicon are not the same thing... even if gothic lolita can be shortened to gothloli...). Getting this wrong could be an expensive mistake, especially as most clothing in japan only comes in one or two sizes - and this makes buying clothing difficult without knowing the exact measurements of the person you are buying for or them being able to try it on. If you think she'd love it if you got her lolita clothing - I'll drop you a list of links to read up on and help you find a way through the minefield.

If she loves NMBC I would actually suggest trying the Disney store in japan - Disney own the NMBC franchise and the Disney store or Disneyland Tokyo in Japan is likely to have a whole range of 'kawaii' (cute) merch for it that you can't find in the west. Also at Disneyland there will be Haunted Mansion stuff too, which would fit the same aesthetic. Most goth girls I know would go completely mad with happiness to have Nightmare Before Christmas stuff they can't get at home.

Other than that, a good bet would be to buy toys, figures or accessories which show darkly cute japanese characters e.g. Hangry and Angry punk cat mascots of h.Naoto, Hello Kitty has released several gothy versions - I think around halloween, or just general gothy but cute things like bats, skulls etc. I'm sure you'll find plenty of things in Harajuku including soft toys, socks, bows, purses/bags, stationary and room decor. If you aren't going to be anywhere near Toyko, I'll try to find you some shop lists that might help for other cities.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 09:53:35 pm »

With so many things it turns put to be difficult, right?

I think there was a Japan shopping guide somewhere on the Interwebs.  I'll see if I can find it... With my Western personality I'd probably be more attracted to historical stuff, folkloric and such.  Meiji Era artifacts would be cool, even if just reproduction.

May I ask what time of the year you are planning to go?  There are many alternate culture as well as folkloric traditional events which happen at certain times of the year.  That might provide a unique opportunity.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:00:32 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »

There's always this:

And you don't even need to go to Japan for it!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 10:32:57 pm »

I don't know where in Japan you're going, but there's this Tokyo shopping guide for the various districts in the city:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/japan/tokyo/travel-tips-and-articles/69988

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 09:57:09 am »

EDIT:  Ms. Caledonian: the video above is not available in some parts (US) due to copyright issues (blocked by YouTube)!

=8]:{(
how is this?
Versailles philharmonic quintet - Masquerade (Versione Kamijo) [Sub ITA]

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 04:08:41 am »

Yeah. I can see it now.  That is a Visual-Kei (Glam Rock) band playing Metal music, basically.  They're one of the "old guard" of Visual Kei bands.

caramelwhistle
Gunner

Reductio ad Absurdum

caramelwhistle
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 04:14:01 am »

All useful suggestions so far. I'm on the ground now so can do some recon. Anymore suggestions will be welcome as I have sometime to make up my mind.

I don't think Nightmare Before Christmas is all that happy.

Jack is bored with Halloween and gets exited on making it better and happy for change. Not to mention the ending!

I found it confusing to find clothes I liked, in good quality, that would fit me (even though at 5'3" and petite I'm closer in body type to the japanese clothing market than most European girls).

Probably a bit more difficult for someone 5'7"!

If she loves NMBC I would actually suggest trying the Disney store in japan - Disney own the NMBC franchise and the Disney store or Disneyland Tokyo in Japan is likely to have a whole range of 'kawaii' (cute) merch for it that you can't find in the west. Also at Disneyland there will be Haunted Mansion stuff too, which would fit the same aesthetic. Most goth girls I know would go completely mad with happiness to have Nightmare Before Christmas stuff they can't get at home.

Very good call! And exactly why I'm doing this, cement the relationship and all that. Wink

If you find Babymetal freaky, this will cause Extreme Culture clash

I probably will but I can put my perspective into others' heads and work out if they like it. I'm quite flexible that way.

* As a toddler, when it was time for her afternoon nap she would ask "Nightmare?" then fall asleep to it, usually before it got to her favourite song, 'What's This?'

I've been watching it ad absurdum just for it to be cemented in my brain. And usually it's about the same spot and pick it up there the next day. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:16:18 am by caramelwhistle » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 08:04:58 am »

If you're really, really cheap, just buy some classic red/blue 3D glasses and send her here: http://www.joelfletcher.com/3d-nightmare.html
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 07:57:08 pm »

I found it confusing to find clothes I liked, in good quality, that would fit me (even though at 5'3" and petite I'm closer in body type to the japanese clothing market than most European girls).

Probably a bit more difficult for someone 5'7"!

Very good call! And exactly why I'm doing this, cement the relationship and all that. Wink

Yup 5'7'' is getting into territory where knowing exact measurements and picking dresses etc very carefully gets to be important, because all the proportions could be out e.g. bodices being too short, bust darts too high etc. In light of that just a note on accessories - over the knee socks will probably end up as knee socks on a girl that's 5'7'', but that's not too much of a big deal. Tights on the other hand will almost certainly be a no go in Japan - they'll be too short on her which is a shame because printed tights are really popular at the moment - just something to watch out for.

I hope you find the perfect gift - I think it's really sweet that you are going to all this trouble =]

A final note on NMBC merch - it might be obvious but check what's available where you are before you go, so you can find the unique to japan stuff more easily!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: