The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 10, 2020, 07:46:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 62436 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #950 on: October 02, 2019, 04:49:34 am »

Apparently nothing weird happened in September.

Anyway, to start off October:

CBC reports that two people entered a St. John's, NL, Pet Zone and made off with hundreds of dollars worth of bull penises.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/thieves-on-the-lam-with-bull-penis-dog-treats-says-st-john-s-pet-store-owner-1.5304595

Were the thieves taking the "Pizz(el)" or just being cocky?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #951 on: October 02, 2019, 05:13:06 am »

that's kinda a dick move.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #952 on: October 03, 2019, 12:00:17 pm »

On which days will you be at the comedy club?  Cheesy

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #953 on: November 17, 2019, 06:08:44 am »

A year ago the Canadian government legalized marijuana. Since then the Government of Ontario has lost $42 million selling pot.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #954 on: January 10, 2020, 05:31:21 pm »

So, after loosing my job back in September, I was forced to sign onto Universal Credit (the piece of sh*t system our useless govt. are forcing people to use in order to receive basically ANY benefit) in order to receive unemployment benefits. Now, after a couple of months I found a new job, which I started about a month ago, and which I declared (twice!) so as to avoid any problems and because I would no longer need the money from benefits in order to keep a roof over my head etc.

I checked my email just now and found an email from the system to tell me I need to do something in order to receive my payments, which I thought was weird since I'm now not claiming. But, since I've experience of how useless these people are, I just assumed there had been a mistake somewhere, and I'd just need to provide the details of my new job. However, when I logged into my account, I found that I have a payment scheduled next week for £0.00.  Huh Huh Huh Huh

I mean WTF? I don't need the money (even if there actually was any due), and I'm supposed to do what? In order to get nothing?

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #955 on: January 10, 2020, 05:59:03 pm »

They have got it right.
You don´t need the money as you have a job, so the payment amount was correctly set to zero.

As a rule they cannot do anything without getting on yout T*** so they have to bother you with something.

Here goes.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #956 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:00 am »

So, after loosing my job back in September, I was forced to sign onto Universal Credit (the piece of sh*t system our useless govt. are forcing people to use in order to receive basically ANY benefit) in order to receive unemployment benefits. Now, after a couple of months I found a new job, which I started about a month ago, and which I declared (twice!) so as to avoid any problems and because I would no longer need the money from benefits in order to keep a roof over my head etc.

I checked my email just now and found an email from the system to tell me I need to do something in order to receive my payments, which I thought was weird since I'm now not claiming. But, since I've experience of how useless these people are, I just assumed there had been a mistake somewhere, and I'd just need to provide the details of my new job. However, when I logged into my account, I found that I have a payment scheduled next week for £0.00.  Huh Huh Huh Huh

I mean WTF? I don't need the money (even if there actually was any due), and I'm supposed to do what? In order to get nothing?

It'd be awesome if you get a printed cheque for £0 in the mail!  Grin
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #957 on: February 05, 2020, 10:47:43 am »

A year ago the Canadian government legalized marijuana. Since then the Government of Ontario has lost $42 million selling pot.

Did they overspend on office snack foods...?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #958 on: March 09, 2020, 02:41:24 am »

I can understand the hand sanitizers running out, but supermarkets are running out of toilet paper and beans, as in dry beans, the kind you have to soak overnight before cooking. Can you imagine getting stuck in a house with someone who is only eating beans?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #959 on: March 09, 2020, 04:38:30 am »

I can understand the hand sanitizers running out, but supermarkets are running out of toilet paper and beans, as in dry beans, the kind you have to soak overnight before cooking. Can you imagine getting stuck in a house with someone who is only eating beans?

Bad enough having dog f***s, let alone a house full of bean-eaters! And why beans? What's wrong with rice and/or pasta? Admittedly, beans have more protein, but there's lots more things you can add to rice and/or pasta to add protein. I like to keep some dried foods handy, like soup veg, mushrooms, and potato ( I think I must be one of the few people around who actually likes dehydrated potato!), and tinned fish, dried milk powder, and tinned chicken. Not prepper level, but enough to keep me going if I am ill or disinclined to go to town to get a shop in. It's only sensible to keep a little bit extra in the cupboard!

The only sane reason I can think of for stockpiling toilet paper is to use as 'tissue on a roll' for the runny noses! The 'ladies' filmed fighting over toilet paper in the supermarket have both been charged, and will end up in court - don't think the fines will be worth the dunny paper!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #960 on: March 09, 2020, 05:49:10 am »

Bad enough having dog f***s, let alone a house full of bean-eaters! And why beans? What's wrong with rice and/or pasta? Admittedly, beans have more protein, but there's lots more things you can add to rice and/or pasta to add protein. I like to keep some dried foods handy, like soup veg, mushrooms, and potato ( I think I must be one of the few people around who actually likes dehydrated potato!), and tinned fish, dried milk powder, and tinned chicken. Not prepper level, but enough to keep me going if I am ill or disinclined to go to town to get a shop in. It's only sensible to keep a little bit extra in the cupboard!

The only sane reason I can think of for stockpiling toilet paper is to use as 'tissue on a roll' for the runny noses! The 'ladies' filmed fighting over toilet paper in the supermarket have both been charged, and will end up in court - don't think the fines will be worth the dunny paper!!

Perhaps dry beans because they're a cheap commodity, but there are many other foods you can stockpile. Also, presumably we'll still have electricity, gas and water, so why not freeze food? I've come to the conclusion that cheapest thing to do is to buy the same raw foods I buy regularly (ground beef, ground turkey and chicken thighs and just freeze them! Boxed instant rice or beans, pasta and cans of spinach. For flavours I cook the minced meat as a Hamburger with onions and the spinach (like a giant meatball). Use the chicken stock from boiling the chicken for the rice.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #961 on: March 09, 2020, 07:42:11 am »

I do much the same, and try and make sure I have a few tins of in the cupboard for 'emergencies' (of the kind you described where I am unable/unwilling to go to the shops and need enough food to keep me going for a day or two) and apparently here in the UK people are trying to hoard pasta but I'm with you guys on this one as far as the loo roll is concerned.

What's so important about bog paper that even if you do have to self isolate you can't order it online?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #962 on: March 09, 2020, 10:51:07 am »

I do much the same, and try and make sure I have a few tins of in the cupboard for 'emergencies' (of the kind you described where I am unable/unwilling to go to the shops and need enough food to keep me going for a day or two) and apparently here in the UK people are trying to hoard pasta but I'm with you guys on this one as far as the loo roll is concerned.

What's so important about bog paper that even if you do have to self isolate you can't order it online?
Depends on where you live! If I had to self-isolate up here in the isolated hamlet of Eskdale, all I need to does ring up the IGA 200 metres away and phone order!!

People living in isolated areas are, in the main, less likely to be exposed, but also more likely to have problems with supply. Here where I live we don't have a mail delivery, we have to go & get it ourselves, but we do have a carrier.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #963 on: March 09, 2020, 12:36:33 pm »

I won't lie to you, I'd rather be in the isolated hamlet of Eskdale right now... I feel the place where I am is a death trap waiting to close.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #964 on: March 09, 2020, 01:42:53 pm »

I won't lie to you, I'd rather be in the isolated hamlet of Eskdale right now... I feel the place where I am is a death trap waiting to close.

I'm not sure if our bedroom community here is better or worse...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #965 on: March 09, 2020, 09:34:17 pm »

The 2016 census said there were 240 people living in and around this little place. In the four years since then, the population has fluctuated somewhat - in 2019 the population dropped by 12 or 15 - some moving into retirement communities, some just moving on, and some passing on. On the other hand, there have been two or three new families move in, at least one with kids, so the local population is pretty stable. It's a one road in, one road out kind of place. I might speak to four or five people today if I'm lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view!) - one of them will be my Home Care lady who will come to clean for me, and two my next-door neighbours, if they are out in their garden.

It's a quiet life, and I like I like that, although I do have to go to "the city" on Wednesday to get a shop in - stuff I can't get here, or 44 km down the road at the next biggest town (pop. 1100)!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:37:24 pm by Banfili » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #966 on: March 09, 2020, 09:57:03 pm »

Well, we have a country of constant crisis. When it gets worse , I go to the store and buy cereal and pasta. I don't eat them so fast.
So I have a supply. Good aged pasta and rice 2008, 2014.

And yet, our ruble has fallen. The dollar cost 65 rubles, and now 75. I'm panicking again. I bought 4 more packs of pasta and two kilograms of buckwheat.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #967 on: March 10, 2020, 12:10:51 am »

Well, we have a country of constant crisis. When it gets worse , I go to the store and buy cereal and pasta. I don't eat them so fast.
So I have a supply. Good aged pasta and rice 2008, 2014.

And yet, our ruble has fallen. The dollar cost 65 rubles, and now 75. I'm panicking again. I bought 4 more packs of pasta and two kilograms of buckwheat.

Kasha?  I love Kasha.  Most Texans don't even know what it is!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Deimos
Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #968 on: March 10, 2020, 01:08:12 am »

Have I missed something? This is about the c-virus right, I mean the stockpiling and JWilhelm sitting in a potential death trap?
From what I have read, the people most at risk are the very young,  the elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system. Do all of you fall into those categories?

Not trying to minimize the risk(s), but jeez , I qualify as elderly (65+) AND I live in a huge metro area [Phoenix, 7th largest metro area in the US]. But I don't wear a mask, altho' I do wash my hands more than usual, and I steer well clear of anyone who is coughing or sneezing, but I mostly try to do that routinely. And I'm in pretty good health overall (no chronic anything).
And I do get canceling events where there may be a large number of people in a relatively small space/area.

So what am I missing here, and anyone who wants to call me "clueless" go ahead, but I just don't get it. We, none of us, are in China or even Italy.    

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #969 on: March 10, 2020, 04:30:56 am »

There are probably people among us with compromised immune systems - they are the ones most at risk in this circumstance.

I don't see that any of us have succumbed to panic buying or hoarding toilet paper, we are just commenting on those that are, especially those who are behaving irrationally - like women fighting over bulk packets of toilet paper, as happened here in Australia. Fear will make some folks behave as they would not in regular times. So far, for the most part, Australia does not have a major outbreak of this virus, so there is no need for brawls in supermarkets for packets of dunny paper!

I am 65+ myself, but I don't qualify myself as "elderly" - in fact, I would be horrified if anyone else did so, either. And I believe in using day-to-day common sense - I receive my pension fortnightly, but shop not so regularly in the closest city, so I do buy some things in bulk, and like to have some staples as above stashed away in case I am ill, post operative, or just feeling lazy!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #970 on: March 10, 2020, 05:04:00 am »

Have I missed something? This is about the c-virus right, I mean the stockpiling and JWilhelm sitting in a potential death trap?
From what I have read, the people most at risk are the very young,  the elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system. Do all of you fall into those categories?

Not trying to minimize the risk(s), but jeez , I qualify as elderly (65+) AND I live in a huge metro area [Phoenix, 7th largest metro area in the US]. But I don't wear a mask, altho' I do wash my hands more than usual, and I steer well clear of anyone who is coughing or sneezing, but I mostly try to do that routinely. And I'm in pretty good health overall (no chronic anything).
And I do get canceling events where there may be a large number of people in a relatively small space/area.

So what am I missing here, and anyone who wants to call me "clueless" go ahead, but I just don't get it. We, none of us, are in China or even Italy.    

I think it's very important to clarify. It's not the very young and the elderly. It's only people after 50 and getting worse by the decade.

The reason for this mysterious behavior is the human immune system. To make a long story short, the more sophisticated the immune system is, the more likely it is that the body will over-react and attack healthy tissue (needed to repair organ damage damage) thus preventing the tissue from recovering. At some point the immune system goes ballistic while organs stop functioning and the body will enter septic shock. That's what's killing people.

Because children tend to have an undeveloped immune system, the virus just overruns the child's body without much response(inflammation and attack on virus plus healthy tissue), whereas older people will tend to go into the process described above. That's why it looks like the elderly have it worse. And they really have it worse. After 60 the mortality rate jumps above 2‰ by 85 years of age it's like 15%. But young people can die too. Curiously the 34 year old ophtalmologist who blew the whistle in China died, but I imagine that being a doctor he probably had been exposed to more viral particles or his immune system was more developed.

This virus basically is like street bandit. Will take your money if you don't resist, and your life of you do.
Deimos
Officer

« Reply #971 on: March 10, 2020, 06:10:19 am »

OK, I get it now.  Thanks for the explanation.
So...ummm...being 65 (and 1/2)  should I be worried? lock myself in? (I do have enough non perishables  to last me a month or so, and lots of TP  Grin I even have enough bottled water to last well over 2 weeks.)
I have three guys to protect me and my stockpile....Mssrs Beretta, et Smith, et Wesson.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:23:49 pm by Deimos » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #972 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:39 am »

OK, I get it now.  Thanks for the explanation.
So...ummm...being 66 should I be worried? lock myself in? (I do have enough non perishables  to last me a month or so, and lots of TP  Grin I even have enough bottled water to last well over 2 weeks.)
I have three guys to protect me and my stockpile....Mssrs Beretta, et Smith, et Wesson. 

Well, I guess it's appropriate for the environment. You might get challenged to a duel outside Circle K (for UK readers that's a convenience store chain, that just happens to have a very Wild West name, sort of like gunfight at the OK Corral - which also took place in Arizona). We Steampunk love a good duel.

No. Not lock yourself in. What the CDC is asking people in those risk age groups to do is to not go out to areas of high density population like malls and music concerts and travel in densely packed vehicles like airplanes, buses and barges cruisers, where there's a higher risk of contagion.
Deimos
Officer

« Reply #973 on: March 10, 2020, 11:03:44 am »

OK, I will do that. Or rather, I will NOT do that, go out in densely populated places, I mean.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #974 on: March 10, 2020, 11:44:37 am »

There isn't anywhere around here that is densely populated!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: