The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 06:03:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 54759 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #925 on: June 26, 2019, 01:16:31 am »

I keep threatening to dye the white bits green ......

Have a go, then! People put purple, or pink, or orange - why not green?
As long as you can get out again, and you don't look as if you are going mouldy!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #926 on: June 26, 2019, 06:55:10 am »

In Moscow, among informal girls, now fashionable to greenish color hair.

Although honestly, it looks so-so. Somehow on marsh.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #927 on: June 27, 2019, 12:15:36 pm »

Restoring a 5" gauge loco.
Original one is in a museum in the UK. Folks there were kind enough to tell me the original paint code and the only supplier in the UK.

Emailed the company, asked for a price for the smallest quantity available.

1 Litre, 18 GBP.
With one litre I could paint about 20 locos of that type but as they are the only manufacturers I asked for a quote including shipping to Germany.

"Shipping would be an additional 77 pounds"

WTF ??

77 pounds for shipping 1l of paint?

I have had complete 5" gauge locos shipped to Germany for that price.

DHL quotes less than 20 Euros for the same...

No idea what to do now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:50:41 pm by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #928 on: June 27, 2019, 12:28:25 pm »

How much?!?  Shocked

That's insane. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #929 on: June 27, 2019, 04:45:18 pm »

Original one is in a museum in the UK. Folks there were kind enough to tell me the original paint code and the only supplier in the UK.

1 Litre, 18 GBP.
With one litre I could paint about 20 locos of that type but as they are the only manufacturers I asked for a quote including shipping to Germany.

WTF ??

No idea what to do now.
Find out if they can do sample quantities.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #930 on: June 27, 2019, 05:15:50 pm »

1 Litre, 18 GBP.

WTF ??

No idea what to do now.

Use an intermediary. I sometimes have to shop in your capitalist stores and  Ebey.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #931 on: June 29, 2019, 05:45:51 am »

It's so hot in Spain, officials believe cow manure self ignited causing the great fire...

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/27/world/europe-heat-wave-spain-wildfire-intl/index.html

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #932 on: June 29, 2019, 07:17:04 am »

It's so hot in Spain, officials believe cow manure self ignited causing the great fire...

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/27/world/europe-heat-wave-spain-wildfire-intl/index.html

Hmmm... Pfffttt! (From Australia, where we have more than our fair share of kangaroo manure, sheep manure, cow manure and accompanying flies and have never been able to report a single case of 'spontaneous combustion' from any of them.)

Bushfires come from discarded cigarette butts, lightning strikes and/or idiots 'burning off' or leaving camp fires unattended.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #933 on: June 29, 2019, 08:25:13 am »

Hmmm... Pfffttt! (From Australia, where we have more than our fair share of kangaroo manure, sheep manure, cow manure and accompanying flies and have never been able to report a single case of 'spontaneous combustion' from any of them.)

Bushfires come from discarded cigarette butts, lightning strikes and/or idiots 'burning off' or leaving camp fires unattended.

Actually, great piles of manure and other organic material have been known to spontaneously combust - haysheds do catch fire occasionally, especially if the hay isn't bone dry when baled. As we don't stockpile our stock's manure - most of our stock are free range all year round - we don't have that combustion problem, but I can see how, if stock is mostly kept inside barns or sheds, great piles of hay and manure mix can overheat. After all, compost heaps and haysheds do.

And it really would have had to have been "inadequately managed"! However, if the fire started in a rural, forested or grassland area, the "spontaneous" combustion cause is most likely to have been human!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:27:34 am by Banfili » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #934 on: June 30, 2019, 06:04:57 am »

I'm silver white at the front and still dark brown at the bock. I just have to be careful when I put it up that I don't put the bun too high on my head or the colour contrast looks a bit extreme. When it's loose people tend to be complimentary and quite often assume I've had it dyed like that on purpose.
I keep threatening to dye the white bits green ......

A dear friend of mine has Waardenburg syndrome, which aside from giving her unique facial features (wider-appearing spacing between the *vibrant* blue eyes) and deafness in one ear, also resulted in a big strand of completely white hair.

As for me, I haven't started going grey yet, although at 33 I am significantly balding. Also, I've noticed that while my hair is brown, my beard is surprisingly reddish.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:08:26 am by LukeHogbin » Logged

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #935 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:16 am »

Before I started going grey/ white I had very dark brown hair. As I started getting a little salt and pepper I developed a single white spot Of hair above my left eye, which my lovely spousal unit declared to be a “Prince Spot” ... 

Yhs
Prof ( not a prince ) Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #936 on: July 12, 2019, 05:32:21 pm »

Quite Steamgoth:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/ccbqi3/apparently_human_tooth_jewelry_is_a_thing/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #937 on: July 13, 2019, 07:27:21 am »

I'm sorry Chicar, Goth, maybe. Macabre, totally. There needs to be some semblance of steam yet to be seen on this post.
Deimos
Gunner

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #938 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:44 pm »

Not only that, but horribly reminiscent of what the Nazis did to the Jews in the concentration camps. *shudder*

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #939 on: July 13, 2019, 04:29:11 pm »

I'm sorry for the offense, i forgot than is not everyone who share my dark nature.

I was just thinking it wouldn't out of place in a steamgoth costume.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #940 on: July 13, 2019, 08:13:06 pm »

I believe my olfactory senses can detect the gender of the cow in question - it smells like pure bull to me....   Wink

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #941 on: July 13, 2019, 08:16:59 pm »

A little bizarre but period-appropriate as many sweethearts and widows kept momento mori such as locks of hair, pieces of bone, etc in lockets or picture-frames.

Although punching somebody with them on would drive a modern forensic pathologist crazy...
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #942 on: July 13, 2019, 09:38:05 pm »

A little bizarre but period-appropriate as many sweethearts and widows kept momento mori such as locks of hair, pieces of bone, etc in lockets or picture-frames.

Although punching somebody with them on would drive a modern forensic pathologist crazy...
One forgets just how delightfully macabre the Victorians were by today's standards - memento mori, death masks, death portrait photography... The science of embalming was invented entirely due to the Victorians' morbid dread of being buried alive.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #943 on: July 14, 2019, 02:04:32 am »

I believe my olfactory senses can detect the gender of the cow in question - it smells like pure bull to me....   Wink

Ah My Dear Monsieur Strange -

Spontaneous Combustion of manure piles actually IS a "thing"  - A manure fire in Southern California burned 6,000 acres in 2009,
and a 2,000 ton pile of manure in Nebraska burned for three months in 2005.

one in upstate New York, USA ( rural)
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/manure-fire-new-york/

one at a Vermont Goat Farm
https://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/goat-manure-spontaneous-combustion-thing/

and one in Beautiful California - Ventura County fire burns 6,000 acres; caused by spontaneous combustion of manure
https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/09/ventura-county-fire-burns-6000-acres-caused-by-spontaneous-combustion-of-manure.html

yhs
prof marvel
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #944 on: July 14, 2019, 08:22:15 am »

Fireman here:

spontaneous combustion is a real problem.

Stacks of hay can ignite, even when wet. (or mostly then as the bacteria neet the water to start)
Some kind of bacteria starts working inside the stack and causes the temperature to rise.
This can lead to self-ignition.
Not seen this on manure yet but definitely with hay.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #945 on: July 14, 2019, 08:44:23 am »

Sorry about that, chaps, I'm also in a profession where spontaneous combustion occasionally occurs, I just like playing with words.  Wink

Although I have also seen 'spontaneous combustion' investigations where the heat and chemical breakdown have converted raw product into cigarette butts when everyone present assured the investigator that they were all non-smokers...   Huh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:47:12 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #946 on: July 14, 2019, 03:13:58 pm »

Sorry about that, chaps, I'm also in a profession where spontaneous combustion occasionally occurs, I just like playing with words.  Wink

Although I have also seen 'spontaneous combustion' investigations where the heat and chemical breakdown have converted raw product into cigarette butts when everyone present assured the investigator that they were all non-smokers...   Huh
There are also those cases of spontaneous combustion caused by friction between the insurance policy and the second mortgage.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #947 on: July 14, 2019, 03:25:41 pm »

There are also those cases of spontaneous combustion caused by friction between the insurance policy and the second mortgage.

I've heard of a few of those - once read about an almost undetectable flammable fire starter - only detectable if the fire isn't intense for long enough for one reason or another.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #948 on: August 25, 2019, 12:42:16 am »

It's funny I think that in the mid-20th century there was a rash of furniture shop fires near the United States southern border. Insurance companies were kept very busy. The pretext was very hot weather, but I feel the real cause was very high insurance payouts.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: