The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 11:21:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 49079 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #875 on: January 19, 2019, 10:07:41 pm »

How is it that when I fly to Europe I cross this very large, dry continent, not a rainforest in sight (I live in South-Eastern Australia (or not, as the case may be!) and the Indian Ocean, not the Pacific Ocean? I suppose all the international airlines are implicated in this conspiracy too - maybe they are all branches of NASA?

Well it could be the pills but my theory is that they project CGI footage onto the windows (I had a happy childhood watching 'Mission Impossible' - and technology's moved on a lot since then, so it must be even easier to do now!)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #876 on: January 20, 2019, 12:33:56 am »

How is it that when I fly to Europe I cross this very large, dry continent, not a rainforest in sight (I live in South-Eastern Australia (or not, as the case may be!) and the Indian Ocean, not the Pacific Ocean? I suppose all the international airlines are implicated in this conspiracy too - maybe they are all branches of NASA?

Well it could be the pills but my theory is that they project CGI footage onto the windows (I had a happy childhood watching 'Mission Impossible' - and technology's moved on a lot since then, so it must be even easier to do now!)

I remember the first time I flew back to Australia in 1992 after weeks away - I came in via Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport, and there weren't skywalks in those days, so it was down the stairs and across the tarmac to the terminal. As soon as I stepped off the plane I could smell the peculiar mix of eucalyptus and dust that that seems to typify the non-tropical areas of Australia - it hadn't rained much while I was away, and having been away from it for a month the scent was particularly strong! On my other trips I am in a and out of Sydney's Kingsford Smith, which is right bang smack in the city, (Tullamarine was out in the sticks, but the sticks have caught up now) but there was still a slight whiff of eucalyptus! The new airport at Badgery's Creek, out west of Sydney will bring back the scent with a vengeance!
My question - can the pills influence the olfactory senses too? Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #877 on: January 20, 2019, 08:01:21 am »

Yes, the Russians learned not to piss off the Finnish Farmers....
Sorry for the drag. But the Finns after four wars I realized that it is not necessary to quarrel with the Russians.

No offense meant or taken :-)

Another real life hero of mine is Aleksandr Nevksy who led the Rus' against invaders.

"After the Germans and Estonians invaded Pskov, the Novgorod authorities sent for Alexander. In spring of 1241 he returned from exile, gathered an army, and drove out the invaders. Alexander and his men faced the Livonian heavy cavalry led by the bishop of Dorpat (Hermann, brother of Albert of Buxhoeveden). The Rus' force met the enemy on the ice of Lake Peipus and defeated the German knights and the Estonian infantry during the Battle of the Ice on 5 April 1242."

Perhaps you can see a trend - I favor Heros who defend their home against foreign invaders :-)

I find that I can get along with many different peoples - I beleive  that it is governments that wage wars , not the people.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #878 on: January 20, 2019, 12:18:53 pm »

Sorry for the drag. But the Finns after four wars I realized that it is not necessary to quarrel with the Russians.
No offense meant or taken :-)
[/quote]
I'm offended. But I admit it's about me. And this epic shooter was only defending his country.

But all relations between Soviet Russia and Finland are heavily mythologized. And Finland was then not quite peaceful and humane country.  And the war in 1939, she still lost, despite the huge losses of Soviet troops.

And in relations between Russia and Finland, I like the shot of Matts Kankkonen.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #879 on: January 20, 2019, 03:14:30 pm »

Yes, the Russians learned not to piss off the Finnish Farmers....
I would love to hear any stories you might have!

I am particularly interested in the ancient Finns, from what I have been able to learn their shamanist traditions are very much like the Native American traditions I have studied, and their tents are identical to the Plains Indians Tipi.

yhs
prof ( adopted Souix ) marvel

Population of Finland comes from several different tribes and you probably mean that ancient Sámi people from our northern Lapland area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1mi_people They had Tipi like tents and nomadic lifestyle back in the days. Most of the Finnish population comes actually from these three bigger groups from the southern area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_tribes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns For example my family are mostly Karelians or Savonians.

I have heard that Finns have always been in quite good terms with American native people. I found some interesting article what you probably like: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/findians__the_story_of_finns_distant_cousins/9087943

I have a friend who is Sami. Her family is one of the few who still herd reindeer, although she jokingly says she "failed" the tradition, what with pursuing a career in IT.  Grin

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #880 on: January 21, 2019, 07:41:57 pm »

Most of the younger Sámi live in cities, so they don't have a lot of reindeer related jobs left also in here.. Tongue
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #881 on: January 21, 2019, 11:49:35 pm »

I'm well aware. Smiley
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #882 on: January 22, 2019, 03:03:32 am »

All these posts re:- Finland.  Embarrassed

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #883 on: January 22, 2019, 06:34:56 pm »

Don't worry - before long we'll be Finnished. Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #884 on: January 22, 2019, 08:37:12 pm »

Don't worry - before long we'll be Finnished. Tongue
Just not quite yet...  Cheesy

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2019, 09:43:18 pm »

For the last six months there has been a young stray tom cat hanging around my yard, and surprisingly enough him and my tom cat were getting along just fine! Now this is two male cats, mine has been 'de-tomed' but is still very much tom-like, the other is roughly 1yr to 1/12 years old and is a 'full' tom.

Male cats just do not tolerate each other, and yet somehow my cat and this stray would sit together on the wall guarding 'their' territory and acting like the best of friends.

Well, about two months ago I started to feed this stray cat as he was obviously not getting fed elsewhere. Until this point I was not sure if he really was a stray, or if he had a home and was maybe being neglected. It took about a week for him to start trusting me and come up to me to feed from a plate at my feet, and a few days later I was able to give him a few quick stokes on his head and neck. All the first steps to gaining his trust.

All was going well........until... Roll Eyes

One day last week MY cat for the first time seen me feeding and stroking this stray cat. Thing is, my cat is INSANELY JEALOUS of anyone getting my attention, or attention being drawn away from him. Seriously, if I'm talking to my friend and my cat is not getting enough attention, he will sink his teeth deep into my hand or arm. He will bite hard and to the point that I will have to pry his jaws open to release my flesh.

So there I am feeding this cat. Paying attention to this cat. Stroking this cat.... The look on my cat's face was utter contempt for me. The kind of look you might get from a man who's wife, sister and mother you had successfully convinced to join in with a foursome in bed!

The result?  Now you too know how this stray cat with pure white fur and pale blue eyes, became my cat's Arch-Nemesis!

Just spent an hour trying to keep them separated, only for them both to end up on the window sill on opposite sides of the glass (indoor / outdoor) trying to kill each other.  Roll Eyes

Cats.....WTF?!    Huh

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #886 on: January 27, 2019, 12:11:24 am »

i get annoyed
when I'm not working on a project mom forces me to toss out most raw material
so when i want to make something suddenly i have no things like plate material…

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #887 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17:13 am »

i get annoyed

NOOOOOooooooooo!!!! I can't tell you how many times my own mother did this to me... The moment I went to boarding school, she got rid of my pet snake, Barry, my pet mountain devil lizard, Spike, my insect collection including, Jenny, my giant centipede... (14 inches and counting), the bat skeleton I had painstakingly glued together... After that I left home at 17 and never went back.

My husband has never displayed any of the same traits, which is probably why I am still here after 40+ years...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #888 on: January 27, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »

i get annoyed

NOOOOOooooooooo!!!! I can't tell you how many times my own mother did this to me... The moment I went to boarding school, she got rid of my pet snake, Barry, my pet mountain devil lizard, Spike, my insect collection including, Jenny, my giant centipede... (14 inches and counting), the bat skeleton I had painstakingly glued together... After that I left home at 17 and never went back.

My husband has never displayed any of the same traits, which is probably why I am still here after 40+ years...

I went to work in Sydney (from a rural city) when I was 18. Before I left I packed up all the treasures I wasn't taking with me into a tea chest and stored it in the garage - my step-mother threw out the whole lot while I was away, including my original School Certificate, and my electric blue puppy-dog pyjama bag!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #889 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:50 pm »

i get annoyed

I went to work in Sydney (from a rural city) when I was 18. Before I left I packed up all the treasures I wasn't taking with me into a tea chest and stored it in the garage - my step-mother threw out the whole lot while I was away, including my original School Certificate, and my electric blue puppy-dog pyjama bag!

I was so lucky that my mother was happy to let us keep whatever we wanted - as long as it was in our own rooms!  My husbands mother threw out all the dust jackets from his books; I suppose he was lucky she didn't get rid of the books too.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #890 on: January 27, 2019, 05:38:29 pm »

i get annoyed
A Steampunk's eternal problem is that we hoard stuff. What people see as junk we look at as treasure.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #891 on: January 27, 2019, 05:41:09 pm »

'Junk' ... not sure I understand that concept ...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #892 on: January 27, 2019, 10:38:07 pm »

I was recently informed that 'junk' is a volume unit of measurement of floor space. Possibly logarithmic in nature....?
Apparently the more 'junk' you have the less 'floor space' you have.

Now if I can just grasp the concept of "floor space", I might actually understand this whole thing......
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #893 on: January 28, 2019, 10:18:48 pm »

Two countries separated by a common language  Cheesy

Junk (source Wiktionary): Junk generally refers to rubbish, trash or items of little or no value. Things that nobody wants or needs.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #894 on: January 28, 2019, 10:36:27 pm »

Two countries separated by a common language  Cheesy

Junk (source Wiktionary): Junk generally refers to rubbish, trash or items of little or no value. Things that nobody wants or needs.
Still not sure we understand that concept. Tongue
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #895 on: January 28, 2019, 10:39:00 pm »

"Things that nobody wants or needs."

So very, very few things in this world then. And most of those we voted for  Wink
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #896 on: January 28, 2019, 10:45:50 pm »

'Junk' -  a type of Chinese sailing ship.

(Oh and by the way, if anybody has one I'm sure I could find a use for it ...)
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #897 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:30 am »

Ooooh! A Steampunk Chinese Junk! I'd like to see that!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #898 on: January 29, 2019, 08:42:44 am »

"Things that nobody wants or needs."

So very, very few things in this world then. And most of those we voted for  Wink

Sometimes we didn't vote for those, but they still came... The problem is humanity has a problem telling the difference between the things they need and things they want. And then, those things they want were planted ideas about things they don't need.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #899 on: January 30, 2019, 06:38:28 am »

Ooooh! A Steampunk Chinese Junk! I'd like to see that!

here you go:

pf mvl
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: