The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2019, 01:07:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 41698 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #850 on: January 11, 2019, 03:22:41 pm »

Was there a Delorean involved?

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #851 on: January 11, 2019, 09:20:51 pm »

Thank You My Dear J ....

being a retired EE I just had to go take a look.

boy howdy, the tin foil hat crowd is out in abundance! and they are allowed to drive and vote just like real people....

best summary I found was from Channel 7 NY
 https://abc7ny.com/transformer-explosion-at-con-ed-plant-lights-up-sky-in-nyc/4977959/

snip----------------------------------------------------
Initially thought to be a transformer explosion, Con Ed issued a statement on Friday morning explaining what happened:

"An electrical fault on a section of 138,000-volt equipment in one of our Astoria substations caused a transmission disturbance and a sustained electrical arc flash, creating the blue light people witnessed. The equipment that malfunctioned is associated with voltage monitoring within the substation."

"Multiple flashes came from a piece of equipment that was 20 feet off the ground"

An electric arc is defined as "a visible plasma discharge between two electrodes that is caused by electrical current ionizing gasses in the air." Electric arcs occur in nature in the form of lightning.

It is unclear how long the electrical arc flash was sustained, but it probably wasn't longer than a couple of minutes. Con Edison will analyze the oscilloscope data to figure that out. The root cause of the electrical fault remains under investigation, although it was likely a malfunction in the relay system. a spokesman said.
endsnip----------------------------------------------------

Last night at 9:12 p.m., an electrical fault on a section of 138,000-volt equipment in one of our Astoria substations caused a transmission disturbance and a sustained electrical arc flash, creating the blue light people witnessed.

And here is the transformer farm the next day! not much damage to see...

... per the utube video, it lasted about 3.5 minutes.

138 KV for 3.5 minutes!!!!

it probably lasted that long because it took some poor sod a while to find the right "off" switch,
all the while trying not to panic .

hell of a plasma arc...
basically like a small sustained lightning arc.

the loud bangs, buzzes and hums are due to the mini-lightning thunder booms and intense electrical
hum caused by the plasma literally destroying the air along its path.

one rarely see ANYTHING like that outside of the extreme high voltage/lightning labs.
they usually don't let civilians into those.

yhs
prof marvel

Don't get me started on the "voting thing." I believe we NEED to restart the practice of lobotomy in this country.

Was there a Delorean involved?

How many "Jigawatts" did we have?  Cheesy Assuming AC current RMS (138 KV) for how many RMS(I) ~  W = 1/2*(VpIp) (did I get this right?)  Grin

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #852 on: January 12, 2019, 03:21:28 am »

The Great Unwashed Public has a tendency to poo-poo unseen dangers that
are mitigated or even hidden by Magic Science . We see that regularly with the
lack of understanding of the dangers of Live Steam and High Voltage Electricity.

over here is a fun little kinetoscope:

Electrical Arc Flash Demonstration
https://youtu.be/6hpE5LYj-CY

and here is an example of what usually happens when the "wierd giant switches" open:

https://youtu.be/7aCbyx0A_ws

and now, your favorite wall o' text from prof marvel, explaining things you never cared about,

such as  why it is difficult to accurately calculate the energy expended by the  Queens Alien Sky Event ,
since we do not know the amperage involved ( it is dependant upon arc length, humidity, etc etc,
and thus varies from case to case)

but we can make a WAG, with the following assumptions, from the wiki example below:

example snip----------------
a single phase-to-phase fault
480 V system
with 20,000 amps of fault current = 9.6 MW.
If the fault lasts for 10 cycles at 60 Hz, the resulting energy would be 1.6 megajoules.
endsnip--------------------------

thus our voltage is 287.5 times the example voltage, then we would expect 2.76 gigawatts
(more than twice what marty needs - 1.21 gigawatts. )

and it listed 3.5 minutes * 60 seconds * 60 cycles per second dividedd by 10...
and assuming it lasted 3.5 minutes, the energy is 579.6 gigajoules
and at the going rate of 19.5 cents per kwh they burned up perhaps $540 in electricity
(not including collateral damage)
if I got the arithmatic right....

definition from Monsieur wiki:

snip-------------------------------------
"Arc flash is distinctly different from the arc blast, which is the supersonic shockwave produced when the uncontrolled arc vaporizes the metal conductors. Both are part of the same arc fault, and are often referred to as simply an arc flash, but from a safety standpoint they are often treated separately. "

"As an example of the energy released in an arc flash incident, in a single phase-to-phase fault on a 480 V system with 20,000 amps of fault current, the resulting power is 9.6 MW. If the fault lasts for 10 cycles at 60 Hz, the resulting energy would be 1.6 megajoules.

For comparison, TNT releases 2175 J/g or more when detonated (a conventional value of 4,184 J/g is used for TNT equivalent). Thus, this fault energy is equivalent to 380 grams (approximately 0.8 pounds) of TNT. The character of an arc flash blast is quite different from a chemical explosion (more heat and light, less mechanical shock), but the resulting devastation is comparable.

The rapidly expanding superheated vapor produced by the arc can cause serious injury or damage, and the intense UV, visible, and IR light produced by the arc can temporarily and sometimes even permanently blind or cause eye damage to people."
endsnip-------------------------------------

heavens, wiki is already updated with the Queens event!

Notable incidents

snip-------------------------------------
"In a notable industrial accident at an Astoria, Queens Con Edison substation in December 27, 2018 a 138,000 volt coupling capacitor potential device failed which resulted in an arc flash which in turn burned aluminum, lighting up the sky with blue-green spectacle visible for miles around. The event was extensively covered in social media and LaGuardia Airport temporally lost power, but there were neither deaths nor injuries."

re:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/heres-why-the-sky-turned-turquoise-in-nyc

"The extraordinary event had in fact been traced to a voltage monitoring gizmo known as a coupling capacitor potential device—or CCPD if you happen to operate a power grid— that failed to function properly at a Queens substation on Thursday night.

That led to an arc flash in which electricity delivered via a 138,000-volt transmission line jumped from one point to another, ionizing the very air through which it leapt. The energy was too great to be constrained to a straight trajectory, and it began to arc with its own power. The arc grew higher and higher, as did the heat it generated."

“Temperatures can reach as high as 35,000 degrees Fahrenheit,” notes a General Electric fact sheet. “This is hotter than the surface of the sun.”
https://www.powertransformernews.com/2018/12/31/con-ed-new-york-transformer-explosion-actually-an-arc-flash/

endsnip-------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:45:10 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #853 on: January 12, 2019, 07:01:08 pm »

WW2 explosive: Don't lie down on bombs, Dutch warned

The Dutch public have been warned it is "strictly ill-advised to lie down on a bomb", after a man did just that for about three hours.

The man came across an unexploded World War Two device while gardening in the town of Venlo on Wednesday.

When it started whistling he covered it with his body, apparently trying to limit the damage.

Nearby residents were evacuated and the device proved harmless. The man was treated for symptoms of hypothermia.

The device was variously described as a grenade or a shell.

BBC News [link] :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46828770

US driver in 'Bird Box blindfold' crashes in Utah

Police in the US state of Utah have taken the unusual step of urging residents not to drive blindfolded after an online challenge inspired by a horror film led to a crash.

A teenager with her hat over her eyes drove into oncoming traffic in the city of Layton while taking part in the so-called "Bird Box Challenge".

The craze has come from the Netflix film Bird Box, starring Sandra Bullock.

Last week Netflix warned fans not to attempt the challenge.

This week the same advice came from Layton police department.

"It's just inexcusable to do something as dangerous as this, not only to yourself but everyone else on the road," said police Lt Travis Lyman, quoted by KSL.com.

He said it was a warning he never thought he would have to give - don't drive while blindfolded.

BBC News [link] :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846981

W . T . F ? !   Roll Eyes

So.......it IS true then - the world population is reducing in IQ points. Or is it just a slow news day?   Huh

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #854 on: January 12, 2019, 11:54:42 pm »

Darwin Awards all round then! Apparently they didn't die, so they can collect them in person. I have some respect for the man attempting to limit the damage from the bomb in his garden, but ... if it was a big bomb, a fruitless action! As for the young idiot in the car ...!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #855 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:00 am »

Darwin Awards all round then! Apparently they didn't die, so they can collect them in person. I have some respect for the man attempting to limit the damage from the bomb in his garden, but ... if it was a big bomb, a fruitless action! As for the young idiot in the car ...!
Sorry, but the Darwin Awards rules state that you must successfully remove yourself from the gene pool, either by dying or by rendering yourself unable to procreate. I doubt this was the case in either instance, so the best they can hope for is an Honourable Mention.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #856 on: January 14, 2019, 01:53:03 am »

I thought that was the case!
Perhaps there should be a category for "Best Attempt"!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #857 on: January 14, 2019, 09:54:41 am »

"Better Luck Next Time"?  Cheesy

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #858 on: January 14, 2019, 01:11:41 pm »

"Better Luck Next Time"?  Cheesy

Yes, that sounds better!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #859 on: January 18, 2019, 02:29:07 am »

"AUSTRALIA DOESN'T EXIST AND PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE ARE ACTORS PAID BY NASA"

The origin of the "fake Australia" post started on Reddit back in 2017 and was written by a Shelley Floryd. But it appears to be back in the minds of the spherically-challenged at the moment.

"Australia is not real," the rant begins. "It's a hoax, made for us to believe that Britain moved over their criminals to someplace. In reality, all these criminals were loaded off the ships into the waters, drowning before they could see land ever again. It's a coverup [sic] for one of the greatest mass murders in history."

https://www.physics-astronomy.org/2018/07/australia-doesnt-exist-and-people-who.html

Lips sealed  Cheesy
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #860 on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:01 am »

The origin of the "fake Australia" post started on Reddit back in 2017 and was written by a Shelley Floryd. But it appears to be back in the minds of the spherically-challenged at the moment.

"Australia is not real," the rant begins. "It's a hoax, made for us to believe that Britain moved over their criminals to someplace. In reality, all these criminals were loaded off the ships into the waters, drowning before they could see land ever again. It's a coverup [sic] for one of the greatest mass murders in history."

https://www.physics-astronomy.org/2018/07/australia-doesnt-exist-and-people-who.html
 Lips sealed  Cheesy

Ooh!, that's a new too me, apparently Finland doesn't exist either.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #861 on: January 18, 2019, 09:38:13 am »

Lips sealed  Cheesy

Apparently the Flat Earthers are not aware of how shoestrapped NASA's budget really is. The engineers have no extra funding to be handing out hush money! One of the few places where the top administrator's wages are capped to the low hundreds of thousands, compared to the CEOs of most large companies, whose end of year bonuses alone are in the millions.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #862 on: January 18, 2019, 09:44:01 am »

Lips sealed  Cheesy

FINLAND IS REAL!  
MY HERO Simo Häyhä IS REAL!

oh my yes..... the flatearthers, hollowearthers, and other lunatics conspiracy freaks
gotta love them, because one musn't eat them ....

"In the modern era, the availability of communications technology and social media like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter have made it easy for individuals, famous or not, to spread disinformation and attract others to their erroneous ideas. One of the topics that has flourished in this environment is that of the flat Earth."

I am reminded of the short stories "Marching Morons" and "If This Goes On"....
and the movie "Idiocracy" .... especially with the current POTUS ...

oh, no , now  I better go off and medicate meditate

yhs
prof marbles

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #863 on: January 18, 2019, 09:52:47 am »

So, I'm an actor paid by NASA, and actually living in South America! Strange, I never notice this after all this time, and I'm not a real person at all!

Do I have a miraculous ability to speak Spanish and/or Portuguese, too?

What do these people put in their food and drink??

Prof Marvel, I may join you!

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #864 on: January 18, 2019, 09:58:42 am »

Flat earthers should do a croudfunding to do their own earth investigation.
Make a rocket to go into space and see for themselves.
A propper rocket, not one like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwku5Alsi04
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #865 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:18 am »

Think about Terry Pratchett, the Colour of Magic:

Build a ship and a ramp and push the ship over the edge to determine whether the giant tutle below is male or female.....

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #866 on: January 18, 2019, 08:29:55 pm »

FINLAND IS REAL!  

Very nice to hear that there is some fans of our famous WW-II sniper.
I'm from the same municipality than Mr. Häyhä and my late gramps kinda know him, because they had some mutual friends. Smiley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rautj%C3%A4rvi
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #867 on: January 18, 2019, 11:23:05 pm »

So, I'm an actor paid by NASA, and actually living in South America! Strange, I never notice this after all this time, and I'm not a real person at all!

You are Brazilian, from Porto Alegre, you just don't know it, thanks to the special pills that NASA gave you. You can go back to speaking Portuguese if they flash your eyes with a "De-neuralizer" like in the movie "Men in Black."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #868 on: January 18, 2019, 11:36:26 pm »

Flat earthers should do a croudfunding to do their own earth investigation.
Make a rocket to go into space and see for themselves.
A propper rocket, not one like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwku5Alsi04

Well, is his next step is a weather balloon? Shouldn't he have started there first? The problem is they don't trust anyone (e.g. Virgin Galactic for a suborbital cheap option) but themselves, and they doubt all the normal methods used to see the roundness of the Earth....
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #869 on: January 19, 2019, 06:46:36 am »

You are Brazilian, from Porto Alegre, you just don't know it, thanks to the special pills that NASA gave you. You can go back to speaking Portuguese if they flash your eyes with a "De-neuralizer" like in the movie "Men in Black."

Thank you, J.Wilhelm - I really needed to know that! How is it that when I fly to Europe I cross this very large, dry continent, not a rainforest in sight (I live in South-Eastern Australia (or not, as the case may be!) and the Indian Ocean, not the Pacific Ocean? I suppose all the international airlines are implicated in this conspiracy too - maybe they are all branches of NASA?
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #870 on: January 19, 2019, 07:33:14 am »

Well, how can you really trust airlines that claim to have never lost a life due to a crash?

Rainman on Qantas
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:36:37 am by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #871 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:40 am »

Thank you, J.Wilhelm - I really needed to know that! How is it that when I fly to Europe I cross this very large, dry continent, not a rainforest in sight (I live in South-Eastern Australia (or not, as the case may be!) and the Indian Ocean, not the Pacific Ocean? I suppose all the international airlines are implicated in this conspiracy too - maybe they are all branches of NASA?
That's the effect of the pills too. Your brain is programmed to see the outback whenever you stare at the Amazon rain forest. Of course all the airlines are in it. But if you look at Quantas Airlines their planes are dressed in removable decals, so they can change the livery while you're seated and waiting for take-off on the tarmac. The paint is actually washable acrylic. The conspiracy has many levels.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #872 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:55 am »

FINLAND IS REAL!  

Very nice to hear that there is some fans of our famous WW-II sniper.
I'm from the same municipality than Mr. Häyhä and my late gramps kinda know him, because they had some mutual friends. Smiley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rautj%C3%A4rvi

Yes, the Russians learned not to piss off the Finnish Farmers....
I would love to hear any stories you might have!

I am particularly interested in the ancient Finns, from what I have been able to learn their shamanist traditions are very much like the Native American traditions I have studied, and their tents are identical to the Plains Indians Tipi.

yhs
prof ( adopted Souix ) marvel

Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #873 on: January 19, 2019, 06:45:55 pm »

I would love to hear any stories you might have!

I am particularly interested in the ancient Finns, from what I have been able to learn their shamanist traditions are very much like the Native American traditions I have studied, and their tents are identical to the Plains Indians Tipi.

yhs
prof ( adopted Souix ) marvel

Population of Finland comes from several different tribes and you probably mean that ancient Sámi people from our northern Lapland area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1mi_people They had Tipi like tents and nomadic lifestyle back in the days. Most of the Finnish population comes actually from these three bigger groups from the southern area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_tribes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns For example my family are mostly Karelians or Savonians.

I have heard that Finns have always been in quite good terms with American native people. I found some interesting article what you probably like: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/findians__the_story_of_finns_distant_cousins/9087943

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #874 on: January 19, 2019, 07:56:06 pm »

Sorry for the drag. But the Finns after four wars I realized that it is not necessary to quarrel with the Russians.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: