The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 19, 2019, 10:43:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 48682 times)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #825 on: November 21, 2018, 11:39:21 am »

I thought the name was inspired by the sound they make when hit.

WOMBAT!

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #826 on: November 27, 2018, 09:52:34 pm »

Yet another set of Amazon recommendations that made me wonder just what they think I am...

1st item, Duck Tape
2nd Heavy duty bungee cord.
3rd a very reactive chemical *
4th a very flammable liquid  *
5th a common oxidising agent. *
6th Electronic kitchen timer
7th 100 x 9.5 MM CARBON STEEL BALL BEARINGS

* substance not named for obvious reasons.

Anyone with basic chemistry knowledge can see where this is going....  WTF!?   Shocked

FYI, I do happen to have a beard, however I'm not a terrorist. WTF have I been buying on Amazon to give them such a profile on me!?...  Huh

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #827 on: November 28, 2018, 12:55:49 am »

Yet another set of Amazon recommendations that made me wonder just what they think I am...

1st item, Duck Tape
2nd Heavy duty bungee cord.
3rd a very reactive chemical *
4th a very flammable liquid  *
5th a common oxidising agent. *
6th Electronic kitchen timer
7th 100 x 9.5 MM CARBON STEEL BALL BEARINGS

* substance not named for obvious reasons.

Anyone with basic chemistry knowledge can see where this is going....  WTF!?   Shocked

FYI, I do happen to have a beard, however I'm not a terrorist. WTF have I been buying on Amazon to give them such a profile on me!?...  Huh

Better be careful. If the next time they advertise legal counsel, someone will be knocking on you door soon (or barreling down through it!)

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #828 on: November 28, 2018, 08:48:15 am »

...but your second name is not Claymore, I guess?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #829 on: November 28, 2018, 10:24:00 pm »

...but your second name is not Claymore, I guess?

No, it's Jihadist-Anthrax.....why do you ask?...   Tongue
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #830 on: December 04, 2018, 08:09:59 am »

Wombats, especially fully-grown males, have incredibly heavy and dense skulls - wombat v car, car usually loses, wombat may or may not survive, depending on where you hit him. Wombat v truck, wombat loses.Speed humps are called wombats, because if you hit them at speed the consequences for the front end of your car are roughly the same - toast!

Wombats are mining geniuses and masters at engineering tunnels and strucural works!
They are also fearsome warriors -

and their comic won a HUGO!
http://diggercomic.com/

yhs
prof (remember tunnel 17!) marvel

full comic at
http://diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/01/wombat1-gnorf/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:14:27 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #831 on: December 05, 2018, 12:40:22 am »

Odd, Aussie wombats would be more likely to remember the tunnels at Hill 60!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #832 on: December 10, 2018, 03:18:08 am »

Junior high school teacher goes mad during class and demands students volunteer at the front of the class for her to cut their hair, while she sings the national anthem.

One brave student volunteers, thinking this was a joke, and the teacher then starts cutting chunks of hair while belting out a very out of tune "Star Spangled Banner." after a few seconds the students giggles turn to fear and he walks off, with the teacher demanding he return to the seat.

When the student gets of the chair for the second time, the teacher then demands someone else take the seat. When students refuse, she then tell the class she will pick someone at random. As some students start getting off their desks, the teacher grabs the hair of a young girl and tries to cut a chunk, all while belting out the anthem. The girl gets loose and the whole class runs for the door. One student ran toward the Principal's office to warn the other teachers.

The teacher has been arrested on numerous charges ranging from battery to imprisonment, and faces many years in jail.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46500375

Welp. Nothing surprises me more any longer. All part of a giant fruitcake we call a country nowadays.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #833 on: December 10, 2018, 02:56:21 pm »

Odd, Aussie wombats would be more likely to remember the tunnels at Hill 60!
I don't think Digger-of-Unnecessarily-Convoluted-Tunnels is familiar with Hill 60.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #834 on: December 11, 2018, 09:45:03 am »

"The darkness of tunnels

Hill 60's prominence, in this relatively low-lying region, made it an objective of both armies and it was continually fought over from late 1914. Underground mining began in early 1915 as British miners tunnelled towards the German lines using the 'clay kicking' method. A miner lies on his back with metal attachments to his boots, pushes his feet into the tunnel wall, and then brings the broken soil towards him. It was hot, hard work in oppressive surroundings but apparently relatively silent and efficient.

On 9 November 1916, the 1st Australian Tunnelling Company took over the Hill 60 mineshafts. By then deep shafts ran out metres under the German lines where they had been filled with high-explosive ammonal and sealed. Electric detonator cable ran along the sealed galleries to the explosives and it was the job of the incoming Australian miners to ensure that the enemy did not discover the mines or cut the detonator cable. The defensive underground shafts and galleries sunk by these 'Digger' miners had a real Australian flavour from the names bestowed on them—Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart, Newcastle and Brisbane.

The protection of the great mine was part of the preparations for the major British 'Flanders Offensive' planned for the second half of 1917 around Ypres. Hill 60 marked the northern extremity of a German bulge or 'salient' into the British lines running from here, through St Eloi and Petit Bois, to Ploegsteert Wood south of Mesen (Messines). It was to straighten this line, in the lead up to the larger operation planned to open in late July 1917 towards the east of Ypres, that the Battle of Messines was fought on 7 June 1917. At the opening of this battle, at 3.10 am, 19 great mines, at various locations along the salient line, were exploded. These, like the mine at Hill 60, had been excavated under the German positions in the year leading up to the Messines attack. For the seven months before the blowing of the Hill 60 mine, it fell to the Australians to ensure that the Germans did not find it.

The Germans were well aware of the British efforts to build mines under Hill 60 and sent out dozens of exploratory shafts at various depths to find them. This led to an underground war as the Australians sought to discover the German tunnels and destroy them. A typical encounter in the tunnels of Hill 60 was that of 25 May 1917, just two weeks before the long-awaited attack at Messines when the mine was to be detonated. Discovery at this point would have been disastrous. On that day the Germans fired a small mine in a shaft whose position was almost directly above the main Hill 60 gallery. It blew in an Australian defensive shaft and cut off two Australian miners who had been on ‘listening’ duties for enemy activity. Sapper Edward Earl, of Geelong, Victoria, calmly went on with his listening work and heard a German walking in a gallery directly over where the great mine was buried.

Initially Earl was given up for dead. Trapped in the shaft, he made his will and wrote a letter to his mother. He was able to hear the signals of the other entombed listener, Sapper George Simpson, of Chatswood, New South Wales, from a nearby gallery but he ceased giving any more signals himself lest they be heard by the Germans and reveal the position of the great mine. On the day after the explosion, as debris was being cleared away from the area, Sapper George Goodwin, of Guildford, New South Wales, heard Earl’s signals about 10 metres away from where he as working. On 27 May, Earl and Simpson were rescued. Unfortunately Earl was suffering from asphyxia and died as a result three months later."

<https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/history/conflicts/australians-western-front-19141918/australian-remembrance-trail/toronto-avenue-2>
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #835 on: December 12, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »

Ah, surface-dweller history! Interesting to you and me, but sadly not so much to our industrious subterranean heroine Digger (beyond the technical details, at least.)

(Seriously, I second Prof. Marvel's recommendation that you read the graphic novel Digger if you haven't already.)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #836 on: December 14, 2018, 12:03:56 am »

Online scammers are playing hardball. They're threating violence now... It's sad to see large institutions handled this way

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/email-bomb-threats/index.html
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #837 on: December 14, 2018, 02:01:00 am »

Ah I see the "we installed virus on your computer while you watched pr0n and filmed you" spammers upped their game.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #838 on: December 21, 2018, 03:36:48 am »

Innocent New York man billed $4,600 for police rectal probe

A US man wrongly suspected of hiding drugs in his colon was reportedly given a rectal probe - and billed for the unwanted examination.

Doctors initially refused to perform the procedure, until advised by a hospital lawyer that Mr Jackson did not have a legal right to refuse.

He was forcibly sedated for the examination.

After the procedure found no drugs, Mr Jackson was released and said he only learned what doctors had done when he found blood in his underwear.

"I felt tampered with," he told the newspaper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46637634

W.......T.......F........!!!   Shocked

Also, this bit:

Police officer Anthony Fiorini said Mr Jackson's posture in the car was consistent with someone hiding drugs in his rectum.

.....Aaaannd exactly what IS the "posture" of somebody hiding drugs in their 'rusty bullet hole' then?.... Huh   I mean, if we are talking a couple of Kilograms of fine Columbian marching powder, then yeah - I imaging the posture would be unusual as the internal organ rearrange around the newest occupant. Otherwise......?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #839 on: December 21, 2018, 09:34:32 am »

Innocent New York man billed $4,600 for police rectal probe

A US man wrongly suspected of hiding drugs in his colon was reportedly given a rectal probe - and billed for the unwanted examination.

Doctors initially refused to perform the procedure, until advised by a hospital lawyer that Mr Jackson did not have a legal right to refuse.

He was forcibly sedated for the examination.

After the procedure found no drugs, Mr Jackson was released and said he only learned what doctors had done when he found blood in his underwear.

"I felt tampered with," he told the newspaper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46637634

W.......T.......F........!!!   Shocked

Also, this bit:

Police officer Anthony Fiorini said Mr Jackson's posture in the car was consistent with someone hiding drugs in his rectum.

.....Aaaannd exactly what IS the "posture" of somebody hiding drugs in their 'rusty bullet hole' then?.... Huh   I mean, if we are talking a couple of Kilograms of fine Columbian marching powder, then yeah - I imaging the posture would be unusual as the internal organ rearrange around the newest occupant. Otherwise......?

I always thought standard practice for this situation was to just give the suspect a load of laxatives and then wait for the 'results'. I mean I understand it's what the police do with suspected users/dealers who have/may have swallowed the 'evidence' to avoid a more serious charge.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #840 on: December 21, 2018, 12:17:40 pm »

NYPD aren't exactly known for their moderate practices when dealing with suspected criminals.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #841 on: December 22, 2018, 12:48:16 am »

Right here in Austin we had a very draconian police chief for probably a decade. One of his accomplishments was convincing city lawmakers to pass a law requiring that forced phlebotomy be used when a suspected drunk driver refused an alcohol breath test. Perhaps more common in other countries, I found the forced medical procedure to be abohrrent.

There was a case (somewhere in the USA, I don't remember if it was Austin or elsewhere) where one nurse refused to proceed with a phlebotomy after receiving a car crash victim at hospital. The police had no proof that the victim was a drunk driver (the driver was unconcious, so a field test was impossible), and the doctors asked for a warrant signed by a judge before proceeding. Exasperated, the cop wrestled her to the ground and arrested the nurse, under the charges of obstruction of justice and resisting arrest, but injuring her in the process. The driver turned out not to be impaired by way of illicit substances and after paying thousands of dollars for bail, and being released from jail, the nurse got an apology from the police department and sued the police department and the city for an unspecified large sum (if I remember correctly).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:06:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #842 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57:25 am »

Phlebotomy is standard here if you turn down a breath test. It does, however, have to be court-mandated and under no circumstance can be performed if the person is unconscious.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #843 on: December 22, 2018, 01:06:58 am »

Phlebotomy is standard here if you turn down a breath test. It does, however, have to be court-mandated and under no circumstance can be performed if the person is unconscious.
Exactly. The doctors were correct in denying the procedure. But the policeman was having none of that!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:09:11 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #844 on: December 27, 2018, 03:34:29 am »

Junior high school teacher goes mad during class and demands students volunteer at the front of the class for her to cut their hair, while she sings the national anthem.

One brave student volunteers, thinking this was a joke, and the teacher then starts cutting chunks of hair while belting out a very out of tune "Star Spangled Banner." after a few seconds the students giggles turn to fear and he walks off, with the teacher demanding he return to the seat.

When the student gets of the chair for the second time, the teacher then demands someone else take the seat. When students refuse, she then tell the class she will pick someone at random. As some students start getting off their desks, the teacher grabs the hair of a young girl and tries to cut a chunk, all while belting out the anthem. The girl gets loose and the whole class runs for the door. One student ran toward the Principal's office to warn the other teachers.

The teacher has been arrested on numerous charges ranging from battery to imprisonment, and faces many years in jail.

Welp. Nothing surprises me more any longer. All part of a giant fruitcake we call a country nowadays.

Several years ago, I taught (or rather helped to teach, and to design, as part of my solo internship) a unit on the Holocaust, among other things - but ours used butterflies designed and made by the students and then "executed" by cutting or tearing one up every time a death was mentioned in the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel. This process corresponded with history lessons on the Holocaust, and Science and Mathematics lessons on aspects thereof that I'm sure you can all imagine without being told what they were. All rather horrific, but deemed necessary to drive home the evil of those events in history. But we never took it to the level where we actually used the students as demonstration props. Never once did we actually touch the students, or try to frighten them directly.

The above incidents  sound to me like something designed with the best will in the world at heart, but executed (perhaps designed as well) by someone whose understanding of classroom discipline, and of just how far it would be OK to go with a lesson demonstration, was or is dangerously skewed. Wearing an obvious toy plastic katana, for  example,  and using it to demonstrate or punctuate parts of a story or lesson about Japanese Feudal history would be OK. Wearing an actual razor-sharp, battle-ready katana and waving the weapon around in the classroom and feinting with it at individual students while yelling guttural japanese epithets at invisible samurai from history would probably be seen as an act consistent with raving insanity (psych professionals, please pardon my terminology and presumption), and would not be OK.

It seems to me that such is very close to what the teacher in this instance appears to have done ("appears," because I don't know if she was or will be found guiilty). A prime example, IMHO, of "Taking It ('way) Too Far." Attacking a student is never OK. My one point ninety-nine cents.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:38:10 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #845 on: December 28, 2018, 10:16:22 pm »

Several years ago, I taught (or rather helped to teach, and to design, as part of my solo internship) a unit on the Holocaust, among other things - but ours used butterflies designed and made by the students and then "executed" by cutting or tearing one up every time a death was mentioned in the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel. This process corresponded with history lessons on the Holocaust, and Science and Mathematics lessons on aspects thereof that I'm sure you can all imagine without being told what they were. All rather horrific, but deemed necessary to drive home the evil of those events in history. But we never took it to the level where we actually used the students as demonstration props. Never once did we actually touch the students, or try to frighten them directly.

The above incidents  sound to me like something designed with the best will in the world at heart, but executed (perhaps designed as well) by someone whose understanding of classroom discipline, and of just how far it would be OK to go with a lesson demonstration, was or is dangerously skewed. Wearing an obvious toy plastic katana, for  example,  and using it to demonstrate or punctuate parts of a story or lesson about Japanese Feudal history would be OK. Wearing an actual razor-sharp, battle-ready katana and waving the weapon around in the classroom and feinting with it at individual students while yelling guttural japanese epithets at invisible samurai from history would probably be seen as an act consistent with raving insanity (psych professionals, please pardon my terminology and presumption), and would not be OK.

It seems to me that such is very close to what the teacher in this instance appears to have done ("appears," because I don't know if she was or will be found guiilty). A prime example, IMHO, of "Taking It ('way) Too Far." Attacking a student is never OK. My one point ninety-nine cents.

Yaeh. But did you see the video? I'm not sure she was trying to make any point! Apparently the teacher had shown erratic behaviour on a prior incident that school year, so I'm not sure it's uninentional damage while teaching, or any kind of malice or malfeasance on her part, but rather much more a case of neural issues....
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #846 on: December 29, 2018, 01:08:27 am »

Earlier tonight over New York City:

EarthCam video of the electric arc in Astoria, Queens
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #847 on: December 29, 2018, 01:20:32 am »

We don't usually see that sort of behaviour in a major appliance.

What the foxtrot was that?!?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #848 on: December 29, 2018, 01:25:47 am »

We don't usually see that sort of behaviour in a major appliance.

What the foxtrot was that?!?

Call the Ghostbusters?  Grin  Rumour has it it was a large transformer (how large could it be??)... Here the official twitter posts from the utility company:

https://twitter.com/ConEdison/status/1078505216461410304
https://twitter.com/ConEdison/status/1078663361326403584
https://twitter.com/ConEdison/status/1078700600907517952

Basically the largest HID lamp in the world  Grin

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #849 on: January 06, 2019, 05:42:16 am »

Thank You My Dear J ....

being a retired EE I just had to go take a look.

boy howdy, the tin foil hat crowd is out in abundance! and they are allowed to drive and vote just like real people....

best summary I found was from Channel 7 NY
 https://abc7ny.com/transformer-explosion-at-con-ed-plant-lights-up-sky-in-nyc/4977959/

snip----------------------------------------------------
Initially thought to be a transformer explosion, Con Ed issued a statement on Friday morning explaining what happened:

"An electrical fault on a section of 138,000-volt equipment in one of our Astoria substations caused a transmission disturbance and a sustained electrical arc flash, creating the blue light people witnessed. The equipment that malfunctioned is associated with voltage monitoring within the substation."

"Multiple flashes came from a piece of equipment that was 20 feet off the ground"

An electric arc is defined as "a visible plasma discharge between two electrodes that is caused by electrical current ionizing gasses in the air." Electric arcs occur in nature in the form of lightning.

It is unclear how long the electrical arc flash was sustained, but it probably wasn't longer than a couple of minutes. Con Edison will analyze the oscilloscope data to figure that out. The root cause of the electrical fault remains under investigation, although it was likely a malfunction in the relay system. a spokesman said.
endsnip----------------------------------------------------

Last night at 9:12 p.m., an electrical fault on a section of 138,000-volt equipment in one of our Astoria substations caused a transmission disturbance and a sustained electrical arc flash, creating the blue light people witnessed.

And here is the transformer farm the next day! not much damage to see...

... per the utube video, it lasted about 3.5 minutes.

138 KV for 3.5 minutes!!!!

it probably lasted that long because it took some poor sod a while to find the right "off" switch,
all the while trying not to panic .

hell of a plasma arc...
basically like a small sustained lightning arc.

the loud bangs, buzzes and hums are due to the mini-lightning thunder booms and intense electrical
hum caused by the plasma literally destroying the air along its path.

one rarely see ANYTHING like that outside of the extreme high voltage/lightning labs.
they usually don't let civilians into those.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:47:23 am by Prof Marvel » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: