The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 24, 2019, 09:32:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 53281 times)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #700 on: February 04, 2018, 07:37:17 pm »

A WTF bit of advertising: A company appeared on my Facebook feed selling T Shirts bags and souvenirs featuring pictures of  Saints.

Just as a priest wears a white collar in public, we too should be wearing symbols of our faith. It not only shows our love and devotion to our faith and heavenly family but it's also a reminder to others of God's existence and love. ❤️ While modern culture continues to remove symbols of faith from the public eye, we need to make an effort to bring them back. The Saints never stood quietly while our faith was under attack and neither should we. ✝️ Find your favorite Saint item and share the love of our beautiful faith.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #701 on: February 04, 2018, 09:33:51 pm »

A WTF bit of advertising: A company appeared on my Facebook feed selling T Shirts bags and souvenirs featuring pictures of  Saints.

Just as a priest wears a white collar in public, we too should be wearing symbols of our faith. It not only shows our love and devotion to our faith and heavenly family but it's also a reminder to others of God's existence and love. ❤️ While modern culture continues to remove symbols of faith from the public eye, we need to make an effort to bring them back. The Saints never stood quietly while our faith was under attack and neither should we. ✝️ Find your favorite Saint item and share the love of our beautiful faith.

Not that unusual in Catholic countries to see images of the Virgin Mary and such on more serious items like religious candles, stamps and wall art, but in Protestant countries a definite no-no (idolatry). Even in Catholic countries this imagery is to be approached with respect, such as patron saints, etc. Definitely not appropriate for mass marketing a la Chanel and Gucci. Odd way to get a political message across.

[mod hat] Remember folks, no religion, no politics in forum [/mod hat]

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #702 on: February 18, 2018, 09:23:48 pm »

'Move your van' note left on ambulance in Tunstall.

A woman left an abusive note on an ambulance dealing with a 999 call, ordering paramedics to "move their van".

The writer said she did not care if "the whole street collapsed" and the crew had "no right to be parked here".

The hand-written message was left on an ambulance in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, earlier.

Operational manager Mike Duggan said the paramedics also received verbal abuse.

He shared an image of the note on Twitter saying he was "very angry".

Paramedic Katie Tudor tweeted Staffordshire Police asking: "Is there anything that can be done about this? It's becoming a regular occurrence."
(c) BBC '18.

Some people are so insensitive & bloody stupid.  Shocked Angry  Sad

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #703 on: February 18, 2018, 09:34:48 pm »

A woman left an abusive note on an ambulance dealing with a 999 call, ordering paramedics to "move their van".

The writer said she did not care if "the whole street collapsed" and the crew had "no right to be parked here".

The hand-written message was left on an ambulance in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, earlier.

Paramedic Katie Tudor tweeted Staffordshire Police asking: "Is there anything that can be done about this? It's becoming a regular occurrence."
(c) BBC '18.

Some people are so insensitive & bloody stupid.  Shocked Angry  Sad

In probably all States on this side of the pond, that would be considered a criminal offence (even if just for writing disparaging remarks or bullying). If they could identify the writer she could be arrested for some type of interference. For police in Texas and even bus drivers, you can go to jail just for verbal assault. Same with postal workers (protected by federal law).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:22:21 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #704 on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:09 pm »

First Nutella in France. Now this...

Fried Chicken crisis and shop closures in the UK due to courier disruptions. "Chicken Chaos" according to the BBC. Apparently a change in trasportation companies has brough the franchise to a halt.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43110910

Wow. I knew that the Japanese have this odd penchant for KFC in Christmas (an odd custom started by American GI's after WWII), but I did not know that the British people would ever have a meltdown over American Southern style deep fried chicken... (Just kidding)  Grin

Roll Eyes Hey mates, you got Fish and Chips, yes? You can afford to switch off Col. Sanders for a few days. Or you can rename the shops "Captain Sanders' or Sailor Bubba's  Grin
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #705 on: February 20, 2018, 04:50:07 pm »

(c) BBC '18.

Some people are so insensitive & bloody stupid.  Shocked Angry  Sad

In probably all States on this side of the pond, that would be considered a criminal offence (even if just for writing disparaging remarks or bullying). If they could identify the writer she could be arrested for some type of interference. For police in Texas and even bus drivers, you can go to jail just for verbal assault. Same with postal workers (protected by federal law).

Update as follows:-

Woman pleads guilty after Tunstall ambulance abuse note.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #706 on: February 21, 2018, 09:51:52 pm »

The comments of people and the power of "shipping."  Roll Eyes

Naturally the Canadian crowd is elated that skating couple Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have become champions again at the Pyeonchang 2018 Olympics. But one phenomenon unfolding is the crowd's reaction to the chemistry between the long sports partneship between Virtue and Moir. It is said the many Cnadians are now "shipping" the couple, which in Teenage Millenial ParlanceTM means that people are hoping they'll become a romantic couple.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/43125368

However, some of the comments online have now gone from saccharin sweet to downright creepy:

Twitter user @Earpnado: "VirtueMoir just skated. Winter Olympics are over. They melted all of the ice. Everyone is pregnant. We're all Canadian now."
Twitter user @VancityReynolds: "Go@TeamCanada [snip] And thankyou @tessavirtue & @ScottMoir for agreeing to raise my children"

Say WHAT!? "We're ALL pregnant?" HOLD IT RIGHT THERE BUDDY! SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!  Cheesy  And stop throwing your babies at the skaters!  Cheesy  Cheesy 

And Tom Jones thought it was weird when women threw their underwear at him while on stage  Cheesy It's easy to dismiss these comments. But who knows? Upon arrival to Canada, Scott Moir may find a large package at the doorstep...  Roll Eyes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #707 on: February 22, 2018, 09:56:06 pm »

Milan Fashion Week 2018. Models strut down the catwalk carrying perfect replicas of their heads... Some of them are carrying tiny dragons; one model sported a thick uni-brow, and another sported a third eye... all while going around a couple of surgical tables Roll Eyes

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43154907
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:02:26 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #708 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:32 am »

Milan Fashion Week 2018. Models strut down the catwalk carrying perfect replicas of their heads... Some of them are carrying tiny dragons; one model sported a thick uni-brow, and another sported a third eye... all while going around a couple of surgical tables Roll Eyes

I don't even pretend to understand modern fashion, but then I buy all my clothes at Mark's Work Warehouse.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #709 on: February 23, 2018, 06:14:18 pm »

I don't even pretend to understand modern fashion, but then I buy all my clothes at Mark's Work Warehouse.

I'm not sure this is fashion anymore. It used to be that the clothes on the catwalk were an outlandish prototype for the season, much the same way as car shows show concept cars that never get built. But holding a replica of your head is a bit outside of what I'd call clothing. Unless you want to make human head shaped handbags.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #710 on: February 24, 2018, 10:08:22 pm »

... Unless you want to make human head shaped handbags.

You scoff, and yet...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #711 on: February 24, 2018, 10:31:55 pm »

... Unless you want to make human head shaped handbags.

You scoff, and yet...

Are those supposed to be regional tastes...? I find it in very poor taste, to be honest. What's next? Mushroom cloud handbags in Japan?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:39:26 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #712 on: February 24, 2018, 11:08:03 pm »

And this is condemned by dudes in weird costumes with gaiter?

You're just jealous someone's crazier than You.  Wink

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #713 on: February 25, 2018, 12:22:06 am »

And this is condemned by dudes in weird costumes with gaiter?

You're just jealous someone's crazier than You.  Wink

You know what they say, "it's my fashion or nobody's fashion!" We Steampunks are the only normal people  Roll Eyes  Grin
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #714 on: February 28, 2018, 12:55:22 pm »

Retail supplier of massively overpriced cheap Chinese electronics tat, and the UK's answer to Radio Shack, Maplin has now collapsed into administration after it fails to find another buyer.

The reason for my WTF!? is that I am surprised they THOUGHT THEY COULD find a buyer!  Maplin was a once great store that supplied real electronics, and they were pretty well known for their range of electronics kits. However that went away once the business was sold to new owners, who jacked the prices up and tried to sell more consumer grade (AKA crap) products like cordless phones, low end car audio crap, vacuum cleaners etc.They still sold real electronic parts and equipment, but it was pretty paltry offerings and priced using a random number generator... Roll Eyes

With each new owner there was another bout of stripping the company assets and trying to sell ever cheaper no-name Chinese tat at vastly over-inflated prices. It was so bad that at times the prices were SIX TIMES the price I could buy the same item directly from other retailers, and over TEN TIMES the price if I purchased directly from China - and that included the cost of shipping, which often Maplin did not (and they shipped via solid gold rocket ships that took your delivery on a world wide cruise and champagne dinner - or at least that what the price seemed to suggest).

It was not all bad though, sometimes they completely ballsed up the online prices and you could get an item at very good prices, sometimes for several years because an old price listing would remain active even though the price had long since increased on a newer listing on the same website.  Grin  I got quite a lot of stuff like that!

Maplins was the store you went to not because it was easier or cheaper, but because you forgot to order the part from elsewhere, and now you NEEDED to purchase one on the spot and you had no other options. Also known as the "Maplin walk of shame".

I will miss the store.....sort of.   Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #715 on: March 01, 2018, 09:22:36 am »

Retail supplier of massively overpriced cheap Chinese electronics tat, and the UK's answer to Radio Shack, Maplin has now collapsed into administration after it fails to find another buyer.

The reason for my WTF!? is that I am surprised they THOUGHT THEY COULD find a buyer!  Maplin was a once great store that supplied real electronics, and they were pretty well known for their range of electronics kits. However that went away once the business was sold to new owners, who jacked the prices up and tried to sell more consumer grade (AKA crap) products like cordless phones, low end car audio crap, vacuum cleaners etc.They still sold real electronic parts and equipment, but it was pretty paltry offerings and priced using a random number generator... Roll Eyes

With each new owner there was another bout of stripping the company assets and trying to sell ever cheaper no-name Chinese tat at vastly over-inflated prices. It was so bad that at times the prices were SIX TIMES the price I could buy the same item directly from other retailers, and over TEN TIMES the price if I purchased directly from China - and that included the cost of shipping, which often Maplin did not (and they shipped via solid gold rocket ships that took your delivery on a world wide cruise and champagne dinner - or at least that what the price seemed to suggest).

It was not all bad though, sometimes they completely ballsed up the online prices and you could get an item at very good prices, sometimes for several years because an old price listing would remain active even though the price had long since increased on a newer listing on the same website.  Grin  I got quite a lot of stuff like that!

Maplins was the store you went to not because it was easier or cheaper, but because you forgot to order the part from elsewhere, and now you NEEDED to purchase one on the spot and you had no other options. Also known as the "Maplin walk of shame".

I will miss the store.....sort of.   Undecided

I don't know about "walk of shame." Leave that assessment for the local adult sex shop  Grin Especially now that there is such a thing as Internet!

But I do miss the ability to buy an electronic component on the spur of the moment, right on the second that I have an idea. The Radio Shack shops were like corner pharmacies, "one in every corner." You could use the excuse to go and bring back pizza and beer, or get some ice cream while you were at it.

So at 3 PM after class at uni, I wanted to build a Dolby-style surround sound processor. I wanted to try making one with a switchable 7kHz low pass filter and a way to switch 4 channels or three channels because I was concerned about the phase of sound in the rear channels. In half an hour with the aid of my trusty HP 48 SX calculator I had a circuit diagram drawn in the back of a paper napkin.

Guess what? I could just drive (or walk) and get an LM 1458 OpAmp amplifier, some RCA phono connectors, breadboard, resistors, a couple of batteries and a box. Maybe a couple of speakers. And coming back home by 5pm. At midnight, I had my little box hooked to my audio/video setup and working ready for a test. Just like that.

The shops were all over the city, not unlike having a postal mailbox, super and pharmacy within half a mile from where you lived.  There were so many projects I made that way, and being able to build something from Radio Shack was far more educational than just plopping dollar bills for an expensive portable music player back in the 1980s and 90s.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:41:53 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #716 on: March 02, 2018, 09:22:31 am »

I used to use Radio Shack products as a kid, here in the UK (and some other countries) they were known by the alternative name Tandy. They had quite a fine selection of electronic components, certainly enough range that you could make most types of projects on a spur of the moment trip to the store. Sadly I also remember more and more of the store being dedicated to electronic gadgets of the day - 5" Black and white TVs, "Ghetto Blasters", remote controlled toys, questionable DJ equipment etc, mostly under the 'Realistic' and 'Archer' brands. Sad

At the end, all the electronic parts were confined to a small corner area at the back of the store, usually not more than a few shelves or pegs with bagged items hanging from them. Not much use if you wanted anything other than the most commonly used resistor values (pack of 5), a small range of subminiature low voltage bulbs, various size switches, or a 'grab bag' of random LEDS (mostly red).

Oddly enough, Tandy UK died the same way as Maplin in the late 1990's, though they were bought out by another company that acquired them in order to kill competition.....for cell phone salesRoll Eyes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #717 on: March 15, 2018, 03:10:57 pm »

You buy a wristband online for a Saturday event at what is arguably one of the most advanced tech expos in the world. Naturally the wristband can only be purchased online. They tell you that you have to pick up the wristband in person two days before the event. I have to take a one hour bus ride to the convention centre downtown to pick up at the box office. Thank God we have horseless carriages! WTF?

PS

And it gets better folks! Currently standing behind a half mile long line of people trying to get in to the hall where the wristband is to be picked up... Because somebody decided that wristbands should not be picked at the registrar, but instead inside the venue itself...

PS PS

And it keeps getting better!  So they deny me the wristband on the grounds that they will only release the  wristband for the day when it will be worn.  I clearly remember picking up the wristband last year days in advance. When I wanted to complain about it, THEN they sent me to the registrar, at which point I one employee told me he could not understand why they would not give me the wristband and then some higher up came in, sat on a chair placing his feet ON THE COUNTER, and proceeded to tell me that they were not going to "confuse" their staff by releasing wristbands for more than one day... When I mentioned that nowhere on their website reads that bands will only released on the same day , the "supervisor" (still reclining on the chair with his feet on the counter) told me that the website indeed had posted that wristbands needed to be picked up the same day. Which is paptently false.

At that point I turned 180 degrees and walked out of the registrar without uttering as much as a word (there was no point).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:29:24 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #718 on: April 08, 2018, 02:44:44 am »

I think we had a mini winter today. After weeks of nearing 27 Celsius (80F), by all means a warmer spring than normal, today the whole day was around 4 Celsius (40 F) and it will remain like this until tomorrow...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #719 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:15 pm »

Just swung by my local supermarket to buy envelopes and a book of postage stamps. Why does the State of Texas charge tax on a book of postage stamps issued by the Federal Government?? Isn't postage on a stamp a form of tax already? So the State is charging Tax on the Tax paid to the Federal Government...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2018, 01:36:52 pm »

From yesterday's National Post: U.K. supermarket chain to offer 'snowflake chicken' for those afraid to touch raw meat
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »

It figures. Packaging of chicken pieces? Oooh! What a radical idea! Because real men hunt their food before dinner, and bring the bloody carcass to the kitchen, to carve with a knife! Who do those mamby pamby snowflakes think they are?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:46:20 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #722 on: April 19, 2018, 12:54:06 am »

Don't often allow my prejudices to show, and I can understand that there are people with OCD or associated psychiatric/psychological issues who just can't touch raw meat - sometimes even raw or even cooked food of any kind, but this is not only ridiculous, it's wasteful and toxic to the environment. "Young cooks" who can't touch a dead chook, or a bit of dead cow or pig -  get over it or become a vegetarian or vegan!
(This is not slinging off at veggies or vegans, who have a genuine commitment to a meat or animal product free lifestyle)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #723 on: April 19, 2018, 01:31:07 am »

It figures. Packaging of chicken pieces? Oooh! What a radical idea! Because real men hunt their food before dinner, and bring the bloody carcass to the kitchen, to carve with a knife! Who do those mamby pamby snowflakes think they are?

REAL men strip naked, grow fangs and fur, and hunt then eat their meat onsite!

wait...
no....
that's Were-Men.

or is it Were-Wolves?

never mind....

yhs
prof ( were-confused ) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #724 on: April 19, 2018, 03:18:32 am »

REAL men strip naked, grow fangs and fur, and hunt then eat their meat onsite!

wait...
no....
that's Were-Men.

or is it Were-Wolves?

never mind....

yhs
prof ( were-confused ) marvel

You Were confused?

Where?

Where are the Werewolves, and should we buy Wolfware to handle wolves where they were?

Wherefor?
-------------------------------------
And I too find this snowflake meat thing to be rather disgustlingly  ridiculous. Nothing's better than letting the blood dri- (censored)

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: