The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 24, 2019, 09:10:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 53280 times)
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #675 on: January 19, 2018, 03:09:49 am »

Well at least I now know what causes ear damage. No more wrestling in horseback riding for me!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #676 on: January 19, 2018, 07:40:18 pm »

Wrestling on horseback?! WHAT?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #677 on: January 19, 2018, 10:06:50 pm »

Well at least I now know what causes ear damage. No more wrestling in horseback riding for me!
Only if you're a long distance runner. On horseback. On a bike.

In which case you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #678 on: January 20, 2018, 01:15:15 am »

Ahh -BUT only if the bike is "where the derailleur is held in place by the nuts" !!

That does sound alarmingly uncomfortable though... Shocked

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #679 on: January 20, 2018, 04:54:33 am »

Ahh -BUT only if the bike is "where the derailleur is held in place by the nuts" !!

What has been seen by the mind's eye... cannot be unseen. *wince*
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #680 on: January 20, 2018, 05:39:13 pm »

You mean they reach all the way down there  Shocked And they shift gears too?  Shocked  That must be some circus act. Hate to think what happens if they get caught in the chain.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #681 on: January 21, 2018, 04:44:44 am »

You mean they reach all the way down there  Shocked And they shift gears too?  Shocked  That must be some circus act. Hate to think what happens if they get caught in the chain.

Well, let's put it this way...you wont be needing the proper brakes to stop!.  Shocked

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #682 on: January 21, 2018, 05:29:02 pm »

You mean they reach all the way down there  Shocked And they shift gears too?  Shocked  That must be some circus act. Hate to think what happens if they get caught in the chain.

Well, let's put it this way...you wont be needing the proper brakes to stop!.  Shocked

Indeed, you'll be using a set of very improper brakes instead. Embarrassed

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #683 on: January 24, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »

Camels banned from Saudi beauty contest over Botox

The pageant lays out strict rules for standards of camel beauty

Twelve prized camels have been disqualified from a beauty contest in Saudi Arabia after their owners tried to tweak their good looks with Botox.
Thousands of camels are paraded at the King Abdulaziz Camel Festival to be judged on their shapely lips and humps.

Link:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42802901

Nope - I'm not going to comment on that one. Just no.......     Huh
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #684 on: January 24, 2018, 09:55:19 pm »

Camels banned from Saudi beauty contest over Botox

The pageant lays out strict rules for standards of camel beauty

Twelve prized camels have been disqualified from a beauty contest in Saudi Arabia after their owners tried to tweak their good looks with Botox.
Thousands of camels are paraded at the King Abdulaziz Camel Festival to be judged on their shapely lips and humps.

Link:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42802901

Nope - I'm not going to comment on that one. Just no.......     Huh

You beat me to posting this...  Cheesy

"It makes the head more inflated so when the camel comes it's like, 'oh look at how big that head is. It has big lips, a big nose'," he said.
Judges are also looking for perfectly placed humps, muscular physiques and leathery mouths.

Roll Eyes  In some parts of the world it would be sheep. Though that strikes me more as the consequence of desperation  Grin

A how do you even tell if a camel has wrinkles?  Cheesy

~ ~ ~

All that is left in the BBC feed is the recreation of the face of a 9000 year old teenage girl... Talk about beauty contests... They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Roll Eyes I guess if I was forced to chew leather for a living I'd also be angry and have a jaw to match.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42802291
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:18:11 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #685 on: January 24, 2018, 11:52:42 pm »

A how do you even tell if a camel has wrinkles?  Cheesy

~ ~ ~

I dunno, but this has to be the ONLY beauty contest where more than one camel toe is a requirement... Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #686 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:31 am »

Riots at a local French supermarket chain are sparked by a sudden drop in the price of Nutella...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42826028

A discount on Nutella has led to violent scenes in a chain of French supermarkets, as shoppers jostled to grab a bargain on the sweet spread.
Intermarché supermarkets offered a 70% discount on Nutella, bringing the price down from €4.50 (£3.90) to €1.40.
But police were called when people began fighting and pushing one another.

"They are like animals. A woman had her hair pulled, an elderly lady took a box on her head, another had a bloody hand," one customer told French media.

A member of staff at one Intermarché shop in central France told the regional newspaper Le Progrès: "We were trying to get in between the customers but they were pushing us."

"Riots" in France for Nutella jars on sale

Have people gone mad? Are French people suffering from food shortages and they subsist solely on a diet of Nutella? WTF?

I can get a jar of the Nutella for $3.27 at my local super, or €2.62 (£2.30). Maybe I should start scalping the stuff.  Grin

In other news, the price of Escargot is up two points  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:42:52 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #687 on: January 26, 2018, 11:49:25 am »

... as it continues its slow climb from a previously-sluggish market...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #688 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:33 am »

... but moving at a snail's pace ...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #689 on: January 26, 2018, 09:34:09 pm »

... as it continues its slow climb from a previously-sluggish market...
... but moving at a snail's pace ...

But the market is definitely not to be taken with a grain of salt. Prevoisuly shelled, the prices can suddenly spiral down.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #690 on: January 29, 2018, 06:12:11 am »

*SIGH*

I was getting a bit exicted about the launch of the Falcon Heavy rocket by SpaceX this February 6, UNTIL, I read this:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/27/technology/future/spacex-falcon-heavy-everything-you-need-to-know/index.html

AND THIS:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/937041986304983040

What is it sending to space?
For its first test mission, the Falcon Heavy will launch a dummy payload. Specifically, it'll send a cherry red Tesla (TSLA) roadster from Musk's personal collection into deep space. There's no scientific reason to send the car to space. But it does serve as self-promotion for Musk, who is also the CEO of Tesla.
When asked on Twitter why he wanted to throw away a $100,000 car, he replied, "I love the thought of a car drifting apparently endlessly through space and perhaps being discovered by an alien race millions of years in the future."

REALLY? They couldn't find something more productive to do? I understand they want to launch a dummy load, but does it have to be a car? Basically one more giant piece of space trash?
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #691 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:12 am »

Max needs a PR.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #692 on: January 29, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »

REALLY? They couldn't find something more productive to do? I understand they want to launch a dummy load, but does it have to be a car? Basically one more giant piece of space trash?

Any dummy load would be a giant piece of space trash so calm yer pants.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #693 on: January 29, 2018, 06:27:15 pm »

Any dummy load would be a giant piece of space trash so calm yer pants.

My pants are calm. It just seems to me to be a tremendous waste of an opportunity to do something productive. Perhaps it's fine for a stunt by the host of a reality.... Oh. Wait a minute. We ARE a reality show ourselves... Nevermind.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #694 on: January 29, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »

Riots at a local French supermarket chain are sparked by a sudden drop in the price of Nutella...

A discount on Nutella has led to violent scenes in a chain of French supermarkets, as shoppers jostled to grab a bargain on the sweet spread.
Intermarché supermarkets offered a 70% discount on Nutella, bringing the price down from €4.50 (£3.90) to €1.40.

"They are like animals. A woman had her hair pulled, an elderly lady took a box on her head, another had a bloody hand," one customer told French media.

A member of staff at one Intermarché shop in central France told the regional newspaper Le Progrès: "We were trying to get in between the customers but they were pushing us."

Have people gone mad? Are French people suffering from food shortages and they subsist solely on a diet of Nutella? WTF?

I can get a jar of the Nutella for $3.27 at my local super, or €2.62 (£2.30). Maybe I should start scalping the stuff.  Grin

They are going nuts over Nutella...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #695 on: January 29, 2018, 09:08:02 pm »

They are going nuts over Nutella...

You can see the shoppers in that market branch falling to the ground. Only to be mobbed by people behaving like squirrels. I must say the video left me stumped.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #696 on: January 29, 2018, 11:57:05 pm »

*SIGH*

I was getting a bit exicted about the launch of the Falcon Heavy rocket by SpaceX this February 6, UNTIL, I read this:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/27/technology/future/spacex-falcon-heavy-everything-you-need-to-know/index.html

AND THIS:

For its first test mission, the Falcon Heavy will launch a dummy payload. Specifically, it'll send a cherry red Tesla (TSLA) roadster from Musk's personal collection into deep space. There's no scientific reason to send the car to space. But it does serve as self-promotion for Musk, who is also the CEO of Tesla.
When asked on Twitter why he wanted to throw away a $100,000 car, he replied, "I love the thought of a car drifting apparently endlessly through space and perhaps being discovered by an alien race millions of years in the future."

Well, I think somebody has been watching the Star Trek Voyager episode "The 37's" in which an old red ford pickup is found floating in deep space... Roll Eyes

Anyhow, without any form of propulsion, this "dummy" load will not remain in space (orbiting or not) for very long. It will either return to earth somewhere over the Indian ocean within a few weeks or months, OR even if launched with enough speed to break free of Earth's gravity, it will very likely leave a large pile of scorched wreckage on one of our neighbouring planets within a few years.

I can't really see them planning to do a "gravity assist" around Saturn and sending it off into interstellar space!  Cheesy

Oh, wait....It IS an electric vehicle, I suppose he could always fit an Ion engine and send it on it's way. Autopilot option engaged, I assume...  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #697 on: January 30, 2018, 10:29:12 am »

*SIGH*

AND THIS:

Well, I think somebody has been watching the Star Trek Voyager episode "The 37's" in which an old red ford pickup is found floating in deep space... Roll Eyes

Anyhow, without any form of propulsion, this "dummy" load will not remain in space (orbiting or not) for very long. It will either return to earth somewhere over the Indian ocean within a few weeks or months, OR even if launched with enough speed to break free of Earth's gravity, it will very likely leave a large pile of scorched wreckage on one of our neighbouring planets within a few years.

I can't really see them planning to do a "gravity assist" around Saturn and sending it off into interstellar space!  Cheesy

Oh, wait....It IS an electric vehicle, I suppose he could always fit an Ion engine and send it on it's way. Autopilot option engaged, I assume...  Grin

See, that's the thing. He's being very nebulous about what path the vehicle will take. And he doesn't want to tell the masses. It depends on how fast this vehicle is travelling when the last rocket engine shuts down.

Musk, who has a history of launching "silly" test payloads, seems to think his personal 2008 Tesla Roadster fits the bill: He intends to put the car atop Falcon Heavy and fly it out to Mars orbit next week.

Now. "flying to Mars orbit" entails that the vehicle will de-orbit and re-orbit around Mars. So the people who are writing this dribble don't know what they're talking about, and Elon is not making it clear either. Damned PR stunt, mixed with a lie.

The way I understand orbits (and I think I know a wee bit about that), if you really want to send it to Mars with the smallest amount of fuel, you will have a transfer orbit (Hohmann Transfer Orbit), which is basically another ellipse around both planets, then you have to burn fuel to place the vehicle in orbit around Mars. You can't do a faster orbit because that implies you will be burning fuel for most of the way to Mars (like the Moon orbit, which was a figure 8 path - designed to be fast).

Clearly that is not happening because there's no fuel in the Tesla to do that transfer around Mars. Assuming they manage to knock it out of Earth's pull (get to the right speed depends on how much fuel the last stage had, and how long it burns), you don't even have the extra fuel to 1. transfer from a circular Earth orbit to a controlled elliptical Hohmann orbit and 2. then get into a larger circular orbit following Mars.

The process in (1) requires an energy kick from the perigee of the Hohmann orbit. Once you get to Mars (step 2) you burn fuel again, giving you another "kick" at the apogee of the transfer orbit to place yourself in a larger circular orbit following the planet. Lastly, to get around the planet (step 3) you "de-orbit" by burning fuel to slow down, which gets you into a lower energy circular orbit around Mars.

Without fuel, rockets and a guidance system, the only thing you can do is put it in an extremely eccentric orbit around Earth. Perhaps it could be aimed and then pulled by something else in the solar system, or not. But the chances of hitting something are very slim. The most likely scenario is you get close to a third body.

If it is aimed close to Mars, it could in theory attain a hyperbolic orbit (yes there is such an animal - its the famous "slingshot."  Basically an open orbit resulting the exchange of momentum between bodies). The path is hyperbolic because there is too much energy to get "captured" by the planet's gravity, and you don't have the fuel to slow down and get into orbit around the planet. Instead you just borrow some momentum from the planet and go on your merry way, only faster in a different direction. I really don't know that Musk was planning anything like this.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #698 on: January 30, 2018, 08:07:38 pm »

I would say that however it is being planned, it is being done so by somebody who could only be named "Cupid Stunt".

(and this one is NOT “All in the best possible taste!” - UK members of a certain age will get this  Wink  )
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #699 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:54 am »

So so sad.

For some unexplainable reason, I stumbled on Cable TV (which I never watch) and saw the first few episodes of Star Trek Voyager, the 1990s TV series. This brought back so many memories.

These were the early 1990s. 1994 to be exact (24 years ago *cough cough*). I had just started attending college at the University of Texas (I had already two years of college under my belt), and these were the days of Pearl Jam for me. Life looked good back then. I was a bit behind as I was 5 years older than my peers, thanks to my transition from Mexico in the late 80s and the death of my grandmother in '92.

I saw a few of the episodes on cable last week, and I remembered that elven/pixie-like "Ocampan" girl, Kes, played by actress Jennifer Lien.  I admit I has a bit of a crush on her at the time. OK a big crush. A tad young for me -or so I stupidly thought at the time - with her being age 20 (I was 25 then) but I thought she was she pretty. Boy would I have liked to meet someone like that.

The theory was that the Ocampan race lived for only 7 or 8 years. So the producers had a bit of a hard time making that short lifespan fit with the development of the other characters in the TV series (since the series lasted until 2001). They ended up replacing the character with the Borg girl, Seven of Nine, played by Jeri Ryan. Nothing wrong with Ryan - stunningly beautiful... but not cute like Lien's Kes... Oh well. I never heard from the actress again.

After watching the few episodes last week, I was curious enough to go to the web and ask the Oracle of Google what had happened to this person.

Jennifer Lien playing 3-year old Kes, on Star Trek Voyager (about 20 years old in "Ocampan years")

Oh. Kes. What a let down. Apparenty her life has gone downhill, like that of so many other young actors and actresses.

Legal issues
July 2012: Charged with domestic assault in Tennessee.

April 2015: Arrested and charged with four offences (evading arrest, resisting arrest, reckless endangerment, aggravated assault) in relation to a speeding violation in Tennessee in which a police cruiser was allegedly damaged by Lien.

September 2015: Arrested for two counts of misdemeanor exposure in relation to an argument with a neighbor in Tennessee.

February 2016: Paid restitution for the police cruiser damaged in the April 2015 incident, and the state agreed to a six-month deferral of the 2015 charges so she could continue mental health treatment.

March 2016: Charged with DUI and failing to maintain a lane in Georgia.

November 2016: Charges relating to the 2015 offences were dismissed as a result of having paid restitution for damaging the police cruiser and her good behavior (in Tennessee) thereafter.

December 2017: Arrested for DUI and charged with simple assault on the arresting deputy sheriff in Tennessee.

Long story short for the last 3-6 years, she's been pretty unstable. Domestic abuse charges. And an indecent exposure stemming from a concerned neighbour who intervened when she became concerned about Lien's two children who were crying (apparently she mooned the neighbour - not that big of a deal, but the police were not amused and her fitness as a mother was put into serious doubt). Erratic behaviour. Two days later, arrested at her home while hiding naked under bed covers.  Just this November after being released, she was arrested again... driving while intoxicated presumably while still in psychiatric treatment

I wish her the best, may she recover, but... Here's a mugshot from two years ago (I dare not embed it - I find it gut wrenching):

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/643905121911345152

I know it's just Hollywood. I know it's completely irrelevant and probably very common in those circles. Nor should I tie the fate of another human being to my own destiny. Nor should I even remember my childish crushes from yesteryear. But can I help it to be a bit depressed about it? Must life be so painful for everyone?

I know my life is not great, but at least I have kept as much as I could of my dignity. I knew I was sacrificing myself for my grandfather 12 years ago - I just didn't understand how high the price would be for me - I thought it was just money. And I ended up losing everything. Literally everything. But I haven't given up yet, in spite of my age, now close to 50, I'm still fighting the good fight.

But why must everything from my bright, bright past be all so f&*ked up today? WTF? Just look at the world right now! Look at my country! Did I just make a wrong turn somewhere and I ended up in the Bizarro parallel universe where everything is shite?  

If so, how do I get out of here? WTF?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:40:36 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: