The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 25, 2020, 11:48:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 66638 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #250 on: December 18, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »

If there is joy within passion. Then happiness will inevitably follow.
We get too hung up these days on the "right" way of doing things.

Switches do on and off, right and wrong. Not humans.

There but for the grace of god go I sir. Actually when it comes to people pointing and saying how retarded I am and how it's Ok to hit me because I'm after all not a "normal" person. Simply because I look a little different or act slightly beyond the banality of the in feared normality. It is just possible i have some small measure of authority on the subject......

It may not be my cup of tea,
but I can see that the brew is strong
so that's good enough for me.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #251 on: December 20, 2015, 08:50:57 am »

Oh. This is so stupid.

Darth Vader gives away bride.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35128340

I dunno, I think that couple was exceptionally lucky to find mutual love with someone that shares their interests to that degree.

*secretly wants a nerd wedding if the right person is ever found*

If there is joy within passion. Then happiness will inevitably follow.
We get too hung up these days on the "right" way of doing things.

Switches do on and off, right and wrong. Not humans.

There but for the grace of god go I sir. Actually when it comes to people pointing and saying how retarded I am and how it's Ok to hit me because I'm after all not a "normal" person. Simply because I look a little different or act slightly beyond the banality of the in feared normality. It is just possible i have some small measure of authority on the subject......

It may not be my cup of tea,
but I can see that the brew is strong
so that's good enough for me.

Indeed. I stand corrected.  Who am I to judge when they are enjoying a connection which in all probability I will never have. Good point.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:57:42 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2016, 02:21:12 am »

From the WTF did I just watch? dept:

Mildly NSFW

Chocolate Rocket - Rejected Snickers Commercial
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:50:56 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2016, 06:29:36 am »

Oooookaaaaaaay..... Huh

Just out of curiosity, did I just watch what I think I did.....or was that cigarette I just smoked a tad stronger than usual?   Shocked

WTF indeed!

I shall return fire with this:   Wink

Review of DANGEROUS Japanese Fanny Flambeaux doll.

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2016, 05:12:30 pm »

What the fudge is that 0_õ

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2016, 07:51:03 am »

From the WTF did I just watch? dept:

Mildly NSFW

Chocolate Rocket - Rejected Snickers Commercial

Well, this gave me some deeply strange (but kind of cool) dreams last night Huh Roll Eyes
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:44 am »

Housemate search has gotten a bit odd.

after some frantic scrabbling we figure we can maybe cover a month or two by ourselves while we look. Meanwhile the housemate I do have will be posting a flier at the University he works at in the department of continuing education and veterans advisers (not a lot of party going kids away from home for the first time).

In the Meantime I reposted the ad that nobody seems to have cared much about all month two days ago and we got somebody interested, I invited her to have a look and when she gave he name I did a search... She has an arrest record from summertime for driving under the influence and posession of scheduled narcotics.
look if she is trying to get her life clean I would totally support her... just not in the place I live, around a toddler. I've know heroine addicts, it's heart breaking to watch, but it's worse when it's tangled up in you own house.

Two hours ago I put the ad up again, this time with the price in the title line.

I've had a disabled woman with bipolar, borderline Schizophrenia ask about moving in.

And then somebody looking for a place for her and her boyfriend to stay. Might work.

And then Classical singer in 7 languages. might be worth a try. She's a bit rushed for a place and wants in the day after tomorrow without having even met her yet. She's not working right now either but says she can cover rent. eeeh, it's quirky enough to have me curious but I'm not sure it'll work.

But my WTF stems largely from struggling so hard for a whole month and suddenly getting interest, but at the same time the nature of those looking has taken a ... colorful turn.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2016, 07:32:55 am »

Every now and then you read thimgs that make you go WTF.  In this case the attitude of a well know Japanese Pop Culture promoter, Danny Choo, giving his most recent "advice" on how to run a company. Well I guess this explains why in some businesses the working environment will get sour and employees leave.

Trying to create a comfortable working atmosphere which provides opportunities for employees to grow should be one of your top priorities - caring or trying to get all employees to like you should not be on your agenda at all. If you cared about what people think of you (regardless of whether they are employees or people you don't know) then you should not be trying to run a business at all because you will eventually fail. Caring too much about what people think of you will end up shaping your life - instead of you shaping your own.

He sounds like a charmer of a boss  Tongue
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #258 on: February 29, 2016, 09:58:05 pm »

So I took my dog to the vets to have his teeth cleaned this morning. 12 hours later I am £1100 lighter in the pocket and appear to now own a canine with 6 teeth, they extracted the lot!!!!

At the moment he's still more than slightly stoned on morphine, wont settle, keeps wobbling into things and is howling in pain, not to mention the blood infused saliva constantly dribbling all over my carpets. I somehow foresee a sleepless night in stall for us both.

WTF!! and bugger, the poor little sod must be in agony. (heartwrenching to watch him struggling TBH)

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #259 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:33 pm »

Poor doggie.  Poor you.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #260 on: March 01, 2016, 09:40:36 am »

Today's St. David's Day 'Google doodle':

The first rule of Celtic knotwork (which, as far as I know, was never drawn in Wales) is that the paths alternate over, under, over, under. The FIRST rule, people!

A massive multinational corporation with a vetting system for these designs, consisting of several tiers of editorial and still they make a pig's ear of it! It appears that some people have spent the last thousand years learning nothing.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »

Today's St. David's Day 'Google doodle':

The first rule of Celtic knotwork (which, as far as I know, was never drawn in Wales) is that the paths alternate over, under, over, under. The FIRST rule, people!

A massive multinational corporation with a vetting system for these designs, consisting of several tiers of editorial and still they make a pig's ear of it! It appears that some people have spent the last thousand years learning nothing.

I suspect the problem stems from the artist's attempt to incorporate the "G" of "Google" into the knot; the inevitable result being, as you say Sir Henry, a pig's ear, a dog's breakfast - a mess. But even if you take the "G" out - it's still a pig's ear.

Being of half-Welsh ancestry myself, I can assure everyone that Celtic knotwork was most certainly used in Wales, however; there are some splendid historical examples at http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/knots/welsh.htm .
 There are many more (mostly modern) at "Images for celtic knots wales" which has a ridiculously long https address but can be found by Googling "celtic knots wales". You'd think with all these fine examples on their own doorstep as it were, they'd be able to get it right ......

Athanor.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:43:14 pm by Athanor » Logged

Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #262 on: March 01, 2016, 06:17:35 pm »

My apologies for casting nasturtiums at the Welsh artistic heritage; there are several illuminated manuscripts that were created in Wales, including the rather wonderful Ricemarch Psalter, the Hereford manuscript and the amazing Lichfield Gospels. The latter has a jaw-dropping carpet page that I spent a week trying to recreate so that it could be used as a fill pattern - if only there had been publicly-accessible images like that one to work from back in 1990.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2016, 08:29:54 am »

OKI used to be cool. Now, forgoing their service, supply and organisational issues, I just had a nearly $4000 new machine with less than 80 pages on the clock foul up twice in a row - while being shown to a customer. Clear the drum sensor error and suddenly it stops detecting paper in tray 2? Whatever it is, you know with their current design the simplest part replacement will take almost an hour of digging just to get the faulty part out, never mind replacing it. They've been worse than Brother recently.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2016, 11:49:02 am »

In true Steampunk style, today I ha to deal with a boiler at my wprkplace.  A bit scary, because an alarm wnet off and we had to shut down the commercial boiler.  The employees who usually operate it, were not around, and the remaining employees did not know how to operate it. Our boss in on his summer vacation home a few hundred miles away on the beach.

After giving my opinion on the subject, we resolved to call the boss.  However, confronted with the question about the alarm going off, he nonchalantly refused to answer, stating that he and his family were "watching a parade."

I mean... Really?? A parade? A potentially lethal situation arises and he brushes off the employee asking for instruction on dealing with a faulty boiler?

"Well I tell you what" I should have answered.  "We are going to have a parade of our own, right here on this street. Numerous EMS personnel, several firefighter trucks and sundry police squad cars will attend, as well as a plethora of spectators, who will watch over the crater where your business once stood."
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2016, 05:09:28 am »

^take what you can and get out! Wink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:30 am »

So a recent episode of the American comedy crime drama TV show "Castle" had a "Geordie" character on it. ALLEGEDLY...

A "Geordie" for those not-in-the-know, is a person from the Newcastle Upon-Tyne area of the North East of England. Many speak with the local "Geordie" accent, while many others may speak with only a slight tinge of accent, or even non at all.

The accent used in this episode is what I can only describe as an abomination of language and accent, and indeed quite insulting! The character sounds more like a Pakistani from Northern Ireland trying to impersonate a Scottish Glasgow accent. With a speech impediment. I am a Geordie, and I have no idea what he is saying! However I did hear a few geordie words (script writers must have looked them up on wikipedia - good research!  Roll Eyes ) that were used in completely the wrong way, which just made it harder to understand, even for a someone who actually speaks the lingo...
Geordie accent? - haddaway and sh*te!!

While it is somewhat insulting that they require a "translator" to understand what is being said, I do get that the accent may be hard to understand for some if spoken too quickly, and that the plot of the episode revolves around language - and thus the character needed to be "difficult" to comprehend. I get that. But still.... Roll Eyes  It would have been more acceptable if the script had called for a Geordie who had suffered a stroke, had a speech impediment, and mumbled a lot - because they freaking nailed that one!!

No, I can forgive all that. What I can't forgive is the fact that the script writers seem to have confused a NORTHERN ENGLISH accent for a CELTIC based language - AND USED BLOODY CELTIC DERIVED PIPE / FLUTE AND BAGPIPE STYLE FLURISHES TO THE MUSIC SCORE!  Our dialect is not based on celtic language, some of the words are old English, and Norse (Viking) in origin, and while we do share a few words with the Scottish, those words often mean very different things. Angry

The writers of this episode are a bunch of propa  doylems!

Dear American TV writers,

Please note that North-East England (England being a country) is NOT, I repeat NOT related in any way to Scotland (A separate country from England), NOR is it related in any way to Northern Ireland, nor the Republic of Ireland (Also a separate countries, and even with a little bit of water marking such separation from England), and NOR is it any relation to Wales (which by the way, is also an actual country).

It's confusing I know, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are part of the United Kingdom, AKA "Great Britain" (those names mark a clue about the relationships of the countries!), but they are separate countries with their own history, languages and regional accents.

Mixing any of those accents together, does not equal any regional accent from the country of England.

Of course it's possible you have never heard a geordie speak. Mind you, I would think it was almost impossible to have never heard Brian Johnson the lead singer of the rock band AC/DC, or the singer Sting, or Eric Burdon Singer/Songwriter with The Animals who had hits with songs such as Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood & the House of the Rising Sun.

Thank you.

Here are a few clips of this character in the episode.

Castle: The Geordie

WTF!!??! Angry

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2016, 10:35:09 am »

Here are a few clips of this character in the episode.

Castle: The Geordie

WOW!

There is a proud history of bizarre accents posing as British regional ones (c.f. Frasier) but that one takes the biscuit!
Having said that, there are several US shows that are made in Canada where the characters' accents slowly drift north as the show progresses. Stargate was particularly good in this respect, having most of the major characters develop Canadian accents by the last series.
It's as if regional accents don't somehow hold the same cultural meaning in the US as elsewhere, though that can't be true, surely?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2016, 11:02:26 am »

Well, it's not like the Castle writers did a phenomenal job at interpreting Steampunk either in another episode  Roll Eyes  

Authenticity is tossed away and the producers apply all of their native ignorance, xenophobia and prejudices toward the character they have invented (* You hear my voice in a nasally "Spanish accent" with pathetic guitar chords in the background.). If I had a penny for each time my US compatriots have insulted me when assuming or stereotyping my way of speech, the colour of my skin, my customs, education, or my financial background, I'd be a millionaire by now. "Seee Segnoor. Let me tie my burro to this post and I'll bring you back a plate of tacos"

Yet in all fairness, and all things being equal, North American regional accents will also be horribly mangled and misinterpreted by English speakers in Europe and the Antipodes.... And I've heard "professional voice actors" in said regions not be able to *even slightly* differentiate between a Texan and a Georgian accent (and there is a difference). Same goes between a New Jersey accent and a New York accent.

Cajun accent anyone?  I very seriously doubt many in the UK can speak in a Boston accent, or even tell me what a Minnesotan accent sounds like - and more importantly why these accents sound different (it relates to ethnicity of the immigrants - not unlike your point of differentiation between Northereast England and Scotland).

How about a Yucatec Spanish accent? No? Anyone know this? Didn't think so (though it happens to be one of the strongest accents you will ever hear - comparing  central Mexico's accents to Yucatec is a bit like comparing English and Celtic accents). It' much more likely people will "know" a stereotypical version of Mexican versus a stereotyped Iberian accent - it seldom gets more specific than that. Within a generation, Latin American migrants lose the ability to differentiate between the accents of their respective regions in Latin America. Learning accents is an advanced language skill. Not for beginners.

The difference between regional accents is not apparent until you have lived in these regions. Alas education is not the primary objective of these private television networks.  

I guess if enough people complained, they’d be more careful, but nowadays the pretext for action needs to be something more along the lines of ethnic/racial discrimination in order for people to start throwing eggs at the TV networks... Not too many Geordies calling to complain, means these producers can get away with it.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:05:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2016, 11:04:40 am »

WHAT THE FLYING FLIPPITY F**K IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY IN CHRISTENDOM WAS THAT?!

I mean I know Americans have trouble with British accents in general, and more specifically 'Northern' accents (as do a lot of actors, see Russell Crowe in Robin Hood, or Jude Law in the remake of Sleuth) but seriously? The vibe I got off the guy was more 'Irishman with brain damage' than 'Geordie'. If this is what the Yanks are going to keep doing to us, I reckon whenever an American TV/film producer wants a character with a regional British accent, they should be dropped in the middle of that place i.e. Manchester/Tyneside/Rural Yorkshire and LEFT until such time as they can pass for a local.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2016, 11:06:36 am »

Not too many Geordies calling to complain, means these producers can get away with it.  

Even if they did I doubt the producers would be able to understand them, but I think they'd be able to get the gist of it.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2016, 11:21:11 am »

If this is what the Yanks are going to keep doing to us, I reckon whenever an American TV/film producer wants a character with a regional British accent, they should be dropped in the middle of that place i.e. Manchester/Tyneside/Rural Yorkshire and LEFT until such time as they can pass for a local.

You do realise that with production budgets (at least for films) nowadays that is technically feasible? But seriously, why not simply hire a local actor -even if just for voice coaching? From the looks of it zero effort was placed on that episode. Not unlike the effort they placed in their "Steampunk" episode  Roll Eyes I guess that's why I never bothered to watch Castle (not to mention I hate that actor).
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:43 am »

You don't like "English" accent in American films? You from this pain?

HAHAHA!

Treat it with humor. Without it, I would have burst with anger looking at the Russian in your movies.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:44 pm »

We give them Hugh Laurie who's so convincing even Americans are fooled.
And they give us.......This. Hell, boy! Just hand us the trophy! Your so far out of this fight your not even in the ring!

No no, please try another one. Be my guest. I need a good laugh.

And the Team America award for the most sensitive depiction of an ethnic minority goes tooooo! Castle! Yay! See? You CAN win something, if you try!

Research: FAIL
Writing: FAIL
Acting: (I'd like to be nicer because the little darling didn't have much to work with but) FAIL
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2016, 09:15:16 pm »

<snip>

Yet in all fairness, and all things being equal, North American regional accents will also be horribly mangled and misinterpreted by English speakers in Europe and the Antipodes.... And I've heard "professional voice actors" in said regions not be able to *even slightly* differentiate between a Texan and a Georgian accent (and there is a difference). Same goes between a New Jersey accent and a New York accent.

Cajun accent anyone?  I very seriously doubt many in the UK can speak in a Boston accent, or even tell me what a Minnesotan accent sounds like - and more importantly why these accents sound different (it relates to ethnicity of the immigrants - not unlike your point of differentiation between Northereast England and Scotland).

<snip>

Actually, you raise an interesting point there. For the most part the average English accent as spoken by most of the UK population  (meaning without a great deal of their local regional accent present) does tend to lend itself to a passable 'mid west' American accent without a lot of effort. Equally I have noticed that those in the USA who have a 'southern' accent (Tennessee, Alabama etc) are actually capable of a fairly passable attempt at a northern English Regional accent. This is due to similarities in the phonetics of the local dialects, and indeed many words used in older speech patterns such as those found in the southern states of the USA, are directly linked to their English origins as spoken by the first settlers from the UK - many of which would have had strong regional accents at this time.
Also the accent found in parts of Oregon tends to allow people to produce a pretty respectable "posh English" type of accent, something that sound vaguely like "R.P" (Received Pronunciation), but more "common". Only the lengthening or pauses in pronouncing certain words reveals the American English dialect of the speaker.

An example of this phenomena is the actor Andrew Lincoln who portrays Rick Grimes, the lead character on the AMC horror drama series 'The Walking Dead'. Andrew Lincoln is actually English and a UK citizen, yet many people don't realise this and actually believe he is American due to his convincing Georgian / generic southern accent he uses for Rick Grimes.

An American actor who can produce a decent English accent is Robert Downey Jr. While his mannerism and delivery tend to suggest he is American, the actual accent he uses for a generic southern British accent is quite convincing, if slightly 'posh' sounding.

One of the best "British" accents ever, is that used by the band Spinal Tap, all of whom are able to produce a VERY convincing generic London area accent, even though they are all American. Many people in both the USA and UK still believe that Spinal Tap's members are all British. Grin

Having said all of that, and getting back to the original topic, had the 'Castle' production staff hired an actor from somehere like Atlanta, then given them a script with all the Geordie words and phrases, I'm convinced the result would have at least sounded like an approximation of a Geordie accent. Sure it would be way off, but it would have been a HELL of a lot more convincing than whatever it was that other guy was saying...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: