The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 15, 2019, 10:19:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 55822 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2015, 07:56:58 pm »

Apparently, someone is looking for something.

O.K. I admit it. It was me, looking for my marbles!

And what sounded like dog claws on the wooden floor was actually you, rolling your marbles down the hallway, I take it?

I think that was when the bag holding them burst.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2015, 08:38:15 pm »

Apparently, someone is looking for something.

O.K. I admit it. It was me, looking for my marbles!

And what sounded like dog claws on the wooden floor was actually you, rolling your marbles down the hallway, I take it?

I think that was when the bag holding them burst.

Ouch! You have my sympathies, sir. Similar thing happened to a chap I know whilst playing rugby. Damn painful injury...

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2015, 04:28:41 pm »

They used to make a lot of noise when they fell down the floor registers (the marbles, I mean. Never tried rugby balls).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2015, 12:52:22 am »

Was stalking around Woolwich in a kensington and a Russian hat. Someone shouted at me; 'Vladimir Putin'. Didn't really feel like an insult.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2015, 02:02:07 am »

I'm always the last one to Twig. I didn't realize until just a little while ago that this music video

https://youtu.be/mahYSenVRPM

is actually a mashup of the song Jolie Coquine by Caravan Palace, and this video

https://youtu.be/sMZwZiU0kKs

Of Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim

Kind of a personal WTF rather than one for anybody else, but still...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2015, 07:58:53 pm »

And then there's...Oh, dear, WTF indeed (NSFW)...

https://youtu.be/YbYWhdLO43Q
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2015, 05:57:59 am »

I guess I'm going to need more than an umbrella and insect repellent when I walk to my job from now on.... maybe something like a battles shield or some such...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34963684

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:46 pm »

I guess I'm going to need more than an umbrella and insect repellent when I walk to my job from now on.... maybe something like a battles shield or some such...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34963684

I have been known to feel that way about Jeremy Clarkson too ........

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2015, 01:33:30 pm »

my mom forbid me to go to Elf Fantasy fair because I sneaked to lecture in steampunk outfit without telling her.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2015, 02:25:37 pm »

my mom forbid me to go to Elf Fantasy fair because I sneaked to lecture in steampunk outfit without telling her.

Aaah! Yes.  One of those horribly awkward moments when your parents haven't realised that they can no longer apply the punishment that was applied when you were little. Like getting hit by a man who is clearly smaller and weaker than you because you came back "late" from partying with your friends at 9PM. It's horribly embarrasing for both parties, as the older adult realises how incredibly out of place the whole episode was. The good news is that when they realise what they did, it will likely be your last or next to last punishment as you are now on the edge of adulthood.

But it gets worse when the tables are turned, and very late in their life you become the parent (role reversal); that is really painful, psychologically.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2015, 02:35:43 pm »

Aaah! Yes.  One of those horribly awkward moments when your parents haven't realised that they can no longer apply the punishment that was applied when you were little. Like getting hit by a man who is clearly smaller and weaker than you because you came back "late" from partying with your friends at 9PM. It's horribly embarrasing for both parties, as the older adult realises how incredibly out of place the whole episode was. The good news is that when they realise what they did, it will likely be your last or next to last punishment as you are now on the edge of adulthood.

But it gets worse when the tables are turned, and very late in their life you become the parent (role reversal); that is really painful, psychologically.

the EFF is the main social event I attend each year, it's important to me and I look out to it all year long! I think the punishment is way to heavy for what I did! what did I do? I picked some clothes and dressed myself, covering my body decently but not exactly what's called 'normal' by her standards. I didn't do anything wrong, did I?
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »

the EFF is the main social event I attend each year, it's important to me and I look out to it all year long! I think the punishment is way to heavy for what I did! what did I do? I picked some clothes and dressed myself, covering my body decently but not exactly what's called 'normal' by her standards. I didn't do anything wrong, did I?

Oh dear, that is excessive.  I'm so sorry.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »

Why didn't your mom like this?  Did it break an agreement you had with her previously about acceptable clothing?  Have your tutors complained about your steampunk clothing? Does your mom think you are neglecting your studies because of steampunk?  Does she realise how much you look forward to EFF? (Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition).
If you can find the answers and get her to discuss things in a mature way she may acknowledge that you are an adult and adjust her views, but I am afraid if she says 'My house, my rules' then the only solutions are to put up with it (hard on you) or move out (probably very hard financially). 
Is there someone your mom respects who could speak to her on your behalf?
I really don't feel you have done anything wrong and hope you can resolve the situation.
Here for you
Regards
Cora

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2015, 07:24:49 pm »

1) Why didn't your mom like this? 2) Did it break an agreement you had with her previously about acceptable clothing? 3) Have your tutors complained about your steampunk clothing? 4) Does your mom think you are neglecting your studies because of steampunk? 5) Does she realise how much you look forward to EFF? (Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition).

If you can find the answers and get her to discuss things in a mature way she may acknowledge that you are an adult and adjust her views, but I am afraid if she says 6) 'My house, my rules' then the only solutions are to put up with it (hard on you) or move out (probably very hard financially). 
7) Is there someone your mom respects who could speak to her on your behalf?
I really don't feel you have done anything wrong and hope you can resolve the situation.
Here for you
Regards
Cora

1) if only I knew
2) no. but the steampunk costume is, well, a costume and acording to her event only. and even then she thinks it´s weird.
3) no. the opposite. they seem to like it. the only ones complaining are people asking to please take off the hat in the lecture room.
4) no.
5) yes.
6)she does. indeed. I can´t afford to move out
7)my stephdad is on my side in this.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:33 pm »

1) Why didn't your mom like this? 2) Did it break an agreement you had with her previously about acceptable clothing? 3) Have your tutors complained about your steampunk clothing? 4) Does your mom think you are neglecting your studies because of steampunk? 5) Does she realise how much you look forward to EFF? (Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition).

If you can find the answers and get her to discuss things in a mature way she may acknowledge that you are an adult and adjust her views, but I am afraid if she says 6) 'My house, my rules' then the only solutions are to put up with it (hard on you) or move out (probably very hard financially). 
7) Is there someone your mom respects who could speak to her on your behalf?
Here for you
Regards
Cora

1) if only I knew
2) no. but the steampunk costume is, well, a costume and acording to her event only. and even then she thinks it´s weird.
3) no. the opposite. they seem to like it. the only ones complaining are people asking to please take off the hat in the lecture room.
4) no.
5) yes.
6)she does. indeed. I can´t afford to move out
7)my stephdad is on my side in this.

Could your stepdad intervene on your behalf, as I do think she is being unreasonable (it's probably not a good idea to tell her though as it could just make her more determined not to change her mind)?  Does your college have a counsellor who could help you with suggestions of how to be treated like an adult, after all it's not unknown for parents and children to have difficulty adjusting to changing family dynamics, you have just got a slightly different twist.  I'd say behave like an adult, but from your posts YOU ALREADY DO; you seem to be conscientious, caring and mindful of others, all prime adult qualities.
You still have time before EFF so don't despair.

Regards
Cora
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2015, 06:15:28 am »

Yes, please remove your hat...

and then hit your mom with it.   CheesyWink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:35 am »

Or you invite her to EFF, next year.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »

Or you invite her to EFF, next year.
Thats not an option! I always go with my father and its one of the few moments we get some together time that lasts longer than an hour. I think I would dissapoint him greatly if i suddenly brought my mom. I dont want that, it would make him feel sad and unwanted and also destroy a part of eff thats dear to me as well. Mom doesnt realise this and only says i use my dad to go to events. That is incorrect, I go to events with my dad because he enjoys them too and would become a social hermit if I disnt drag him along now and then.

She would get really angry and destroy said hat beyond repair and then hit me really hard. Like that time she caught me reading at night and said shed burn my book and hit me so hard it left a mark when I started crying because I didnt want her to burn said book.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2015, 06:41:08 am »

A, er,...?!?!.
dear me Undecided
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2015, 08:27:05 am »

She would get really angry and destroy said hat beyond repair and then hit me really hard. Like that time she caught me reading at night and said shed burn my book and hit me so hard it left a mark when I started crying because I didnt want her to burn said book.

That reaction doesn't sound too rational and controlled to me. Me thinks you're an adult now and you need to move on and leave that past behind.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2015, 11:33:23 am »

In my humble opinion, this is not the behavior of someone who has a psychologically healthy relationship with you. To my mind, the best option is to bear with it until you can move out on your own, which I would do as soon as you can.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2015, 02:55:53 pm »

Is there someone you could speak to in person about this?

Internet advice from strangers is all well and good, but there is nothing like human contact when you have troubles to speak of.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2015, 05:02:47 pm »

Me thinks custody went to the wrong person.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »

Oh! Please do not get the wrong idea! My mom was able to give me a stable and happy childhood spare the few moments we clash. We both know how to overreact. And as much as I love my dad, he wouldnt have been able to bring me where I am now. If not for my moms support (sometimes drilling though) i just wouldnt have gotten very far. My dad is...too relaxed and when I need to stay around him for longer than a week We usually clash really hard leaving the both of us crying or angry or both.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2015, 06:06:29 pm »

Family is complex.  Having someone outside you can talk to is a big help.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: