Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 98197 times)

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
Re: Things that make you go WTF? MkII
« Reply #1300 on: July 02, 2022, 12:39:18 pm »
So, my washing machine stopped working (third time in a row my Mums is buggered and a few months later mine does the same, all purchased within a few months of each other, makes one wonder about built-in obsolescence theories)

Anyway, I was bored in Currys 1 minute 34 seconds after walking through the door, so after grabbing a salesman with an attitude I didn't like, I purchased an unknown item at an unknown cost........ yes I really was that uninterested, I needed a washing machine and I bought one.

So, a week later it arrives and is fitted........ Time to do some washing that has built up,

LOng and short of it, I now operate the darn thing from an app on my mobile phone whist sitting on my butt eating pizza and chocolate on the sofa, my only niggle is they don't supply a monkey butler to hang it out on the line once the cycle is finished, so much for technology eh? Come on Hoover, get it together people.

Spoiler: ShowHide
And IF you really are interested its a Hoover H Wash 500 9kg and cost around £400 fitted and old one taken away........... NO monkey butler available ;)

Presumably it can also be operated by anyone with access to the app's servers too. I'm really looking forward to the day that hackers start in on the world of IoT (Internet of Things). It will make all our lives so much less predictable.  ;D ??? ::)

My washing machine went belly up some time ago. Finally managed to get together enough for a 5.5 litre (big enough for one person) new used one, 2 years old. $299 plus $50 delivery & installation. Used it once, and flooded the laundry & half the back entry! There would seem to be a loose hose fitting inside the machine! One load done.
Fortunately I have a six month warranty. Hopefully the washing machine guru will come out Monday or Tuesday to fix it. Through out my whole weekend schedule for catching up on the washing that my washing lady hadn't manage to due because of the rain etc.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1301 on: July 03, 2022, 01:32:11 am »
Hell no! I don't need to turn my refrigerator or oven on an off from a remote location. Not interested in accessing Twitter or Ticktock from my toaster. Or have my refrigerator run up my Uber Eats account. And much less have someone hack into my washer and dryer full of unmentionables.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #1302 on: July 03, 2022, 02:06:47 am »
Hell no! I don't need to turn my refrigerator or oven on an off from a remote location. Not interested in accessing Twitter or Ticktock from my toaster. Or have my refrigerator run up my Uber Eats account. And much less have someone hack into my washer and dryer full of unmentionables.

Remember, everyone — the 'S' in 'IoT' stands for Security!
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1303 on: July 03, 2022, 04:34:32 am »
And IoT stands for 'Internet of Troubles'.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1304 on: July 03, 2022, 05:21:40 am »

Sometimes you have no other option, I purchased a new LED light for my fishtank and it can only be operated via a mobile phone app.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1305 on: July 03, 2022, 12:03:15 pm »
What's an app? I write and install software programs, not abbreviations.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1306 on: July 03, 2022, 12:58:06 pm »

Mobile application. They've been called 'apps' for ages now.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1307 on: July 03, 2022, 01:37:59 pm »

Sometimes you have no other option, I purchased a new LED light for my fishtank and it can only be operated via a mobile phone app.

Is it a cloud-based app, or self-hosted?

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1308 on: July 04, 2022, 01:53:15 am »

Mobile application. They've been called 'apps' for ages now.
My issue is that culture has expanded the term to all software. You now install apps on desktop and laptops as well, not software. It no longer just means "mobile application" because that is no longer the context in which it is used.

Of course, I am a linguist, so I see this development of new meanings happening all the time. It is part of linguistics. I accept that, but I don't have always like it.

Sorontar

LukeHogbin

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Steamcat
« Reply #1309 on: July 04, 2022, 04:44:23 am »
I apparently got kicked out of ESS (Employment Service of Slovenia) for failing to attend a meeting with my counselor on June 14th, despite specifically stating that due to my anxiety I will be unable to attend in person. Which now means I can't reapply for six months. Which also means I don't get welfare. Which means I'm SOL and JWF.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #1310 on: July 06, 2022, 10:24:17 pm »
I know we're not allowed to talk politics here (thankfully) but the UK today has been quite spectacularly and continuously WTF for the last 12 hours.  :o :o :o
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1311 on: August 01, 2022, 06:33:52 pm »
Using dead spiders as robot grippers is a thing. It's called necrobotics.