Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 98487 times)

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
Re: Things that make you go WTF? MkII
« Reply #1275 on: November 26, 2021, 03:22:29 pm »
So, my washing machine stopped working (third time in a row my Mums is buggered and a few months later mine does the same, all purchased within a few months of each other, makes one wonder about built-in obsolescence theories)

Anyway, I was bored in Currys 1 minute 34 seconds after walking through the door, so after grabbing a salesman with an attitude I didn't like, I purchased an unknown item at an unknown cost........ yes I really was that uninterested, I needed a washing machine and I bought one.

So, a week later it arrives and is fitted........ Time to do some washing that has built up,

LOng and short of it, I now operate the darn thing from an app on my mobile phone whist sitting on my butt eating pizza and chocolate on the sofa, my only niggle is they don't supply a monkey butler to hang it out on the line once the cycle is finished, so much for technology eh? Come on Hoover, get it together people.

Spoiler: ShowHide
And IF you really are interested its a Hoover H Wash 500 9kg and cost around £400 fitted and old one taken away........... NO monkey butler available ;)

Presumably it can also be operated by anyone with access to the app's servers too. I'm really looking forward to the day that hackers start in on the world of IoT (Internet of Things). It will make all our lives so much less predictable.  ;D ??? ::)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1276 on: November 26, 2021, 04:00:21 pm »
Presumably it can also be operated by anyone with access to the app's servers too. I'm really looking forward to the day that hackers start in on the world of IoT (Internet of Things). It will make all our lives so much less predictable.  ;D ??? ::)
Bluetooth, password protected, ooh hang on, let me just put my Big Mac down, I need to go into custom settings and see what the weather is going to be like then set to drain and spin and carry on watching Eastenders whilst the machine does its thing. Aaa, that's better, I almost had to move there, so, back to Bianca and Ricky.

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #1277 on: November 27, 2021, 01:29:34 am »
Bluetooth, password protected, ooh hang on, let me just put my Big Mac down, I need to go into custom settings and see what the weather is going to be like then set to drain and spin and carry on watching Eastenders whilst the machine does its thing. Aaa, that's better, I almost had to move there, so, back to Bianca and Ricky.

Ah my Dear Sev

It is most amusing and ironic that you post this, and then somehow when I try to jump to the link
I am sent to the FIRST ENTRY OF THE FIRST page of this thread!

Which, serendipitously, is discussing the enourmaty of google, the invasiveness of Skynet, and appropriate measures to deploy against Collosus, The Forbin Project.

Thus , one reason I am STILL. Resisting the Internet Of Things, especialy since most electronical “stuff” is designed and built in foriegn countries, with whom the “free world” has a less than deflightful relationship…

I do have a cunning plan, my entire household electrical grid is based on old timey physical “make and break”
Switches…. Extenders to devices with on off switches, easily accessible cords i can pull (in case of fire always pull the cord first) and several easily accessible breaker boxes with old timey thermal breakers.
My one caveat is high speed lightning protection devices, both on each expensive appliance and one big whole house doo-hickey, and on the interweb cable and telephonic line. That story is a multipage solliloqy for another time….

It all can be summed up with an ancient joke I got originally from a Federal agent in a three letter agency, back when spying was ubiquitous:

Snip——-
I was watching tv with my wife.
Me: oops I just sat on my pistol again.
Wife: Sweety, why do you wear your pistol at home? Dont you feel safe in the house?
Me: well my love you never know where those pesky russian might be hiding!
She laughed
I laughed
The toaster laughed
I shot the toaster….
Endsnip——

Its a joke sone, a joke! Good grief, boy, do I have to explain everything?
Foghorn Leghorn, ca 1963
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1278 on: December 16, 2021, 09:11:11 am »
Let's see if this works:

If not: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/rh6rr5/a_machine_came_thru_my_local_john_deere_for/

To paraphrase someone in the comments "It's not the 100mph winds you need to worry about, it's what's travelling at 100mph."

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #1279 on: December 16, 2021, 08:24:16 pm »
Shot thru the head by a corn cob....

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #1280 on: December 16, 2021, 08:53:13 pm »
Shot thru the head by a corn cob....
tore them a new corn hole, eh?
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1281 on: March 06, 2022, 06:52:13 pm »
Next week's temperatures for Austin (posted in Fahrenheit on the picture - oscillating between near freezing and 27.8.  C)

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #1282 on: March 07, 2022, 07:04:08 pm »
Next week's temperatures for Austin (posted in Fahrenheit on the picture - oscillating between near freezing and 27.8.  C)

The weathermen/women all seem to be under a strain, lately, trying (and largely failing) to make sense of the weather for us.

He was bound to crack, sooner or later... (lol)  :D
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #1283 on: March 12, 2022, 06:26:56 am »
This story takes a bit of set-up, so bear with me.

I work for a company that assembles car seat backs; we ship them to our customer who assemble the complete seat and then ship it to their customer who assemble the complete automobile. (I drive a forklift, but that's not relevant to this story.)

We have two assembly lines. One assembles front seat backs, which we place into specially-designed bins, load onto a trailer and ship to the customer, who ships the empty bins back to us in the same trailer. The other line assembles rear backs which are placed in different specially-designed bins, loaded onto a different trailer and shipped, with those empty bins returning in the same trailer they were shipped in. We have one shunt driver who takes the trailer of backs to the customer and returns with the empty bins, first for one line and then the other. Each line ships and receives four trailers per shift.

Tonight, after the front line had shipped its second load, the driver returned with the front empties, spotted them in the dock, and left with the rear load. He did not however, open the doors on the front-empties trailer before spotting it, and as the doors are barn-door style, they are impossible to open once the trailer is tight to the dock. We called over to our customer to ask them to send the driver back to pull the trailer out and open the doors so we could unload and reload it. After about half an hour the driver returned with the rear empties, hitched up the front trailer, and headed back to our customer with a trailer-load of empty bins and no shipping documents. Meanwhile, front line was stopped because we had no bins to put product into. ???
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Lazaras

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Have Wierd; Will Travel.
    • Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #1284 on: March 13, 2022, 03:10:30 am »
So apparently some congrescritter has put to the president's desk the idea of issuing letters of Marques.

.....I wish i were joking....
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1285 on: March 26, 2022, 04:03:47 pm »
No more to be said.

Spoiler: ShowHide

No political or further comments please, just had to say WTF!

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1286 on: April 01, 2022, 12:12:42 pm »
Both of my neighbours know what I do for a living, one side just had new windows fitted, the other cladding and a new composite door (grey, surprise surprise  ::) ) Niether asked me for a price, they only ask me to do stuff when things go wrong, so F%$£ them.

Uuum £1700 for a composite front door,! Ripped off.

Do I care? not any more, like I say F%$£ 'em.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #1287 on: May 21, 2022, 08:55:11 pm »
Roommate's drinks in the fridge. "Kin Euphorics: Functional Beverage for Modern Rituals"

Is that some sort of Yoga? (Portrait: 1920s Flapper/ Artist Carmen"Nahui Ollin" Mondragón)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 08:59:55 pm by J. Wilhelm »

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1288 on: June 01, 2022, 11:38:13 am »
Here in Ontario we're in the middle of a Provincial election (polling day is tomorrow.) One of the parties on the ballot is called "None of the Above."

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1289 on: June 01, 2022, 11:43:16 pm »
Back in the day they decided to make it harder for just anyone to form a party and get on the ballot in Australia... There was one last chance and there were a huge number of parties on the ballot that year. Two of my favourite; "The sun ripened tomato Party" and the "Party, Party, Party".

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1290 on: June 01, 2022, 11:50:37 pm »
In past, we've had several other protest parties at the Provincial and Federal level, including the Rhinoceros Party who promised that, if elected, they would immediately resign, and the Bonehead Party, whose motto was, "Vote early, vote often, vote for a Bonehead!"

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1291 on: June 02, 2022, 10:40:24 pm »
The United States has had 215 mass shootings (whatever that means) in the past 153 days.

I've no desire to go there; it seems like a silly place.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #1292 on: June 02, 2022, 11:54:31 pm »
The United States has had 215 mass shootings (whatever that means) in the past 153 days.

Nobody's shot any banjo players that I'm aware of...yet.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #1293 on: June 04, 2022, 09:54:36 am »

Nobody's shot any banjo players that I'm aware of...yet.

Allow some time, MW!

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1294 on: June 10, 2022, 08:02:47 pm »
Health Canada want tobacco manufacturers to print health warnings on individual cigarettes. Now we'll be able to identify smokers by their crossed eyes.

EDIT: It wasn't Health Canada, it was the Minister of Addictions. We have a Minister of Addictions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:01:43 am by von Corax »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #1295 on: June 11, 2022, 06:19:20 am »
For a minute there I thought you had written administer addictions.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1296 on: June 11, 2022, 10:01:35 am »
I'm gonna moan about anal jobsworths.

I visit my mum every Saturday for shopping and little jobs she needs doing,  there is never anywhere to park, so I use her disabled blue card to park on double yellows, which is perfectly legal up to 3hrs.

This morning as I placed the card on the dash I must have slightly nudged the time arrived dial  and as a result got a parking ticket. I looked at the photos on the council website and yes, the permit was showing 7.40 at 7.32, technically 8 minutes out.

COME ON, REALLY? a little leeway? That nudge cost me 35 quid and I can not contest the fine.

WTF!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:37:51 am by SeVeNeVeS »

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1297 on: June 11, 2022, 11:37:55 am »

I visit my mum every Saturday for shopping and little jobs she needs doing,  there is never anywhere to park, so I use her disabled blue card to park on double yellows, which is perfectly legal up to 3hrs.

This morning as I placed the card on the dash I must have slightly nudged the time arrived dial  and as a result got a parking ticket. I looked at the photos on the council website and yes, the permit was showing 7.40 at 7.32, technically 8 minutes out.

COME ON, REALLY? a little leeway? That nudge cost me 35 quid and I can not contest the fine.

WTF!!
Councils in the UK are doing all sorts of things to boost income these days, mostly based around fining people for things. I noticed that the government very recently proposed something (I forget what, but fairly sure it was car-related) whereby people could be fined and unusually the money will go to the local councils rather than national government. Presumably this is a way of boosting their income without the government getting the blame for increasing people's daily irritations. Also the councils then have to deal with all the costs and time for appeals.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #1298 on: June 11, 2022, 12:30:12 pm »

WTF!!
Councils in the UK are doing all sorts of things to boost income these days, mostly based around fining people for things. I noticed that the government very recently proposed something (I forget what, but fairly sure it was car-related) whereby people could be fined and unusually the money will go to the local councils rather than national government. Presumably this is a way of boosting their income without the government getting the blame for increasing people's daily irritations. Also the councils then have to deal with all the costs and time for appeals.

No poll tax rebate as yet, although my claim has been in from day one, only a matter of time before the window tax of 1851 will be re-instated. ::) ::)

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #1299 on: June 11, 2022, 09:54:55 pm »

WTF!!

No poll tax rebate as yet, although my claim has been in from day one, only a matter of time before the window tax of 1851 will be re-instated. ::) ::)

that all sounds quite taxing.