The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2022, 10:58:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 88782 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1275 on: November 26, 2021, 04:22:29 pm »

So, my washing machine stopped working (third time in a row my Mums is buggered and a few months later mine does the same, all purchased within a few months of each other, makes one wonder about built-in obsolescence theories)

Anyway, I was bored in Currys 1 minute 34 seconds after walking through the door, so after grabbing a salesman with an attitude I didn't like, I purchased an unknown item at an unknown cost........ yes I really was that uninterested, I needed a washing machine and I bought one.

So, a week later it arrives and is fitted........ Time to do some washing that has built up,

LOng and short of it, I now operate the darn thing from an app on my mobile phone whist sitting on my butt eating pizza and chocolate on the sofa, my only niggle is they don't supply a monkey butler to hang it out on the line once the cycle is finished, so much for technology eh? Come on Hoover, get it together people.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Presumably it can also be operated by anyone with access to the app's servers too. I'm really looking forward to the day that hackers start in on the world of IoT (Internet of Things). It will make all our lives so much less predictable.  Grin Huh Roll Eyes

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

« Reply #1276 on: November 26, 2021, 05:00:21 pm »

Presumably it can also be operated by anyone with access to the app's servers too. I'm really looking forward to the day that hackers start in on the world of IoT (Internet of Things). It will make all our lives so much less predictable.  Grin Huh Roll Eyes
Bluetooth, password protected, ooh hang on, let me just put my Big Mac down, I need to go into custom settings and see what the weather is going to be like then set to drain and spin and carry on watching Eastenders whilst the machine does its thing. Aaa, that's better, I almost had to move there, so, back to Bianca and Ricky.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

Above All Else, Do No Harm

« Reply #1277 on: November 27, 2021, 02:29:34 am »

Bluetooth, password protected, ooh hang on, let me just put my Big Mac down, I need to go into custom settings and see what the weather is going to be like then set to drain and spin and carry on watching Eastenders whilst the machine does its thing. Aaa, that's better, I almost had to move there, so, back to Bianca and Ricky.

Ah my Dear Sev

It is most amusing and ironic that you post this, and then somehow when I try to jump to the link
I am sent to the FIRST ENTRY OF THE FIRST page of this thread!

Which, serendipitously, is discussing the enourmaty of google, the invasiveness of Skynet, and appropriate measures to deploy against Collosus, The Forbin Project.

Thus , one reason I am STILL. Resisting the Internet Of Things, especialy since most electronical “stuff” is designed and built in foriegn countries, with whom the “free world” has a less than deflightful relationship…

I do have a cunning plan, my entire household electrical grid is based on old timey physical “make and break”
Switches…. Extenders to devices with on off switches, easily accessible cords i can pull (in case of fire always pull the cord first) and several easily accessible breaker boxes with old timey thermal breakers.
My one caveat is high speed lightning protection devices, both on each expensive appliance and one big whole house doo-hickey, and on the interweb cable and telephonic line. That story is a multipage solliloqy for another time….

It all can be summed up with an ancient joke I got originally from a Federal agent in a three letter agency, back when spying was ubiquitous:

Snip——-
I was watching tv with my wife.
Me: oops I just sat on my pistol again.
Wife: Sweety, why do you wear your pistol at home? Dont you feel safe in the house?
Me: well my love you never know where those pesky russian might be hiding!
She laughed
I laughed
The toaster laughed
I shot the toaster….
Endsnip——

Its a joke sone, a joke! Good grief, boy, do I have to explain everything?
Foghorn Leghorn, ca 1963

Until further notice, when BG dies, we are migrating to spare goggles

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/

No Matter How horrible the situation
No Matter How Dark the Times
No Matter How Many We Lose
We Who Remain must Bravely Press On!

RIP Maets ,
Maker of Things
Warrior for Good
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1278 on: December 16, 2021, 10:11:11 am »

Let's see if this works:

If not: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/rh6rr5/a_machine_came_thru_my_local_john_deere_for/

To paraphrase someone in the comments "It's not the 100mph winds you need to worry about, it's what's travelling at 100mph."

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

Above All Else, Do No Harm

« Reply #1279 on: December 16, 2021, 09:24:16 pm »

Shot thru the head by a corn cob....
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1280 on: December 16, 2021, 09:53:13 pm »

Shot thru the head by a corn cob....
tore them a new corn hole, eh?

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: