The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2022, 10:49:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 88780 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1250 on: September 25, 2021, 09:41:16 pm »

I used to walk my kids to and from school when they were between 5 and 9. It was a couple of miles and took us between 30 and 40 minutes.
Today I happened to show someone directions to the school and apparently it takes 36 minutes to get there by car.
What can you say?

Sounds about right. 1 km (0.6 mi) in 10—12 minutes or 2.3 miles walked in 45 minutes. I still do about 25 minutes by foot on Saturdays.

I've calculated that public transportation makes you wait an average of ½ hour for very connection you make... Assuming they come at all! Freeways are giant parking lots in rush hour. In a sense, I'm glad I haven't driven in years.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1251 on: September 27, 2021, 05:07:06 pm »

Petrol tankers, petrol w......

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1252 on: October 15, 2021, 02:47:19 am »

I was watching a YouTube video of a piece of railway maintenance machinery, and YouTube decided I should see an advertisement for a pill-counting machine.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1253 on: October 15, 2021, 11:12:47 am »

uBlock Origin. Wink

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1254 on: October 16, 2021, 12:39:58 am »

Have you tried AliExpress?

AliExpress is pretty much Amazon but not as honest... I have used them, but would never buy anything over $25.00 Au from them, because I wouldn't want to lose my money.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1255 on: October 16, 2021, 03:22:26 am »

Have you tried AliExpress?

AliExpress is pretty much Amazon but not as honest... I have used them, but would never buy anything over $25.00 Au from them, because I wouldn't want to lose my money.

With AliExpress, it's Russian roulette, particularly with delivery times. And I've purchased quite a bit from them.Yet, they carry things that you can't find elsewhere. I've been fairly lucky, but only after doing much reading of reviews and stats for each shop.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1256 on: October 21, 2021, 03:06:42 am »

Just in time for Halloween...

First successful transplant from pig to human (brain-dead)
https://news.yahoo.com/surgeon-transplants-pigs-kidney-brain-214407308.html
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1257 on: October 21, 2021, 03:47:52 am »

Just in time for Halloween...

First successful transplant from pig to human (brain-dead)
https://news.yahoo.com/surgeon-transplants-pigs-kidney-brain-214407308.html
"Whose brain was it?"
"Abby something..."
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1258 on: October 21, 2021, 05:07:23 pm »

The Thames Valley District School Board is asking teachers not to print or photocopy due to a Covid-caused shortage of toner.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1259 on: October 21, 2021, 05:28:56 pm »

The Thames Valley District School Board is asking teachers not to print or photocopy due to a Covid-caused shortage of toner.

so they asked you not to take that tone with them?

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1260 on: October 22, 2021, 12:52:00 am »

People are sounding the alarm over a lack of Halloween costumes due to the same supply chain woes.  Roll Eyes # First World Problems
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1261 on: October 22, 2021, 05:11:42 am »

People are sounding the alarm over a lack of Halloween costumes due to the same supply chain woes.  Roll Eyes # First World Problems

I can remember the days when people made their own costumes out of whatever they had at hand or could get on the cheap (Nope, not just steampunks, but everyday weirdo- er, people  Wink ).

Oh my Gawd I sound almost as old as I am. When did I stop being 15 at heart?

Anyway, agreed, Some people are just too spoilt by the power of the almighty shimolean.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cora Courcelle
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #1262 on: October 22, 2021, 02:36:00 pm »

It's interesting to hear that the supply chain problem is everywhere, as over here we have been frequently told that it's one of the results of Brexit, with little mention of similar problems in the rest of the world (won't say more as I don't want to get political).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1263 on: October 22, 2021, 03:01:55 pm »

I'll never understand the whole Halloween thing, it wasn't until a few years ago that it was imported into this country, in the stupid american form. Can't stand it.

Not to mention 31/10 is my birthday.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1264 on: October 22, 2021, 03:51:47 pm »

I'll never understand the whole Halloween thing, it wasn't until a few years ago that it was imported into this country, in the stupid american form. Can't stand it.

I feel much the same about Christmas.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1265 on: October 23, 2021, 02:00:15 am »

I feel much the same about Christmas.

No no no no no... Don't diss Christmas...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1266 on: October 23, 2021, 02:23:30 am »

It's interesting to hear that the supply chain problem is everywhere, as over here we have been frequently told that it's one of the results of Brexit, with little mention of similar problems in the rest of the world (won't say more as I don't want to get political).

The worker shortages due to Brexit are a completely different issue. The entire global supply chain was disrupted by the Covid pandemic and according to economists, it's a kind of domino effect after many countries putting the brakes on their manufacture. The global supply network is akin to a neural network, where there's some sort of synchronization between neurons (manufacturer -  intermediary - buyer). Without synchronization you'll get severe ripples, overproduction and underproduction. Most of the inbound cargo in the US is waiting in boats off the coast, and there aren't enough dock workers to unload the cargo, eg Los Angeles. A couple of days ago it was decided by the LA port authorities to run the docks 24/7, but there aren't enough workers to fill the positions. There are so many cargo ships off the coast that a new humanitarian crisis has started with international sailors trapped in their ships for months. It's envisioned the situation will not resolve until mid next year.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1267 on: October 27, 2021, 10:35:44 pm »

This is just the top of the rabbit hole:

Rogers family feud continues as Edward says family gave him the OK to plan for new CEO | CBC News

The whole thing began as a bid by Rogers Communications to take over Shaw Communications, both major players in the Canadian telecommunications sector, but has devolved into a drama worthy of Netflix. Most recently, Edward Rogers (the CFO) fired the Board of Directors for firing him for firing the CEO of the company. The CEO learned he was to be fired after Rogers accidentally butt-dialed him during a meeting. Rogers is set to go before the Supreme Court of British Columbia to try to prove that his Board of Directors is the real Board of Directors.

Rogers also claims that the family Trust have given him their blessing, but both his mother and his sister have described his actions as "regrettable."

Huh
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1268 on: October 28, 2021, 07:55:13 am »

An unbelievable Victorian CNC milling tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=005_HNv_v4w

Quite amazing that/how it works.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

Above All Else, Do No Harm

« Reply #1269 on: October 31, 2021, 04:06:07 am »

An unbelievable Victorian CNC milling tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=005_HNv_v4w

Quite amazing that/how it works.

Thanks Sir Henry
I love this sort of low end technology that performs “magic” which is incomprehensible to
Todays digi-kids!

Prf Mumbles

Until further notice, when BG dies, we are migrating to spare goggles

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/

No Matter How horrible the situation
No Matter How Dark the Times
No Matter How Many We Lose
We Who Remain must Bravely Press On!

RIP Maets ,
Maker of Things
Warrior for Good
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1270 on: November 07, 2021, 12:00:36 am »

Oxford County police are asking for the public's help after thieves made off with $90,000 worth of condoms, "personal lubricant" and other "sexual health accessories."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1271 on: November 07, 2021, 03:39:45 am »

Oxford County police are asking for the public's help after thieves made off with $90,000 worth of condoms, "personal lubricant" and other "sexual health accessories."

I guess the global supply woes are now affecting the contraceptive industry...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1272 on: November 17, 2021, 03:04:30 am »

so it looks like a region of Egypt has experienced major sand storms, followed by torrential rains that caused flooding, followed by hail, which was then followed by scorpions flooding into the city and homes leading to more than 500 hospitalizations of people for stings. All during a global pandemic.

I'm not gonna ask who, but somebody clearly looted a tomb recently and need to put everything back.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1273 on: November 17, 2021, 01:39:16 pm »

That's missing just one more plague...  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

« Reply #1274 on: November 26, 2021, 03:52:35 pm »

So, my washing machine stopped working (third time in a row my Mums is buggered and a few months later mine does the same, all purchased within a few months of each other, makes one wonder about built-in obsolescence theories)

Anyway, I was bored in Currys 1 minute 34 seconds after walking through the door, so after grabbing a salesman with an attitude I didn't like, I purchased an unknown item at an unknown cost........ yes I really was that uninterested, I needed a washing machine and I bought one.

So, a week later it arrives and is fitted........ Time to do some washing that has built up,

LOng and short of it, I now operate the darn thing from an app on my mobile phone whist sitting on my butt eating pizza and chocolate on the sofa, my only niggle is they don't supply a monkey butler to hang it out on the line once the cycle is finished, so much for technology eh? Come on Hoover, get it together people.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 04:03:35 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: