The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 07, 2021, 01:48:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 75994 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1075 on: February 15, 2021, 11:19:31 am »

As everyone knows, DEATH, (who speaks in capitals, and rides a white horse called Binckie!) can be tempted away from waving his scythe around by presenting him with a good curry!

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but we all know Death is a goth girl with an ankh on her necklace.

I'm not merciful or blessed. I'm just me. I've got a job to do and I do it....When the first living thing existed, I was there. Waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave.

Ah! Memories from the 1990s.Yeah I saw more than a few of those downtown before Coronavirus took over and scared all the bar crowd away.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1076 on: February 15, 2021, 11:36:07 am »

And it can be so sudden. One day you are alive, and that night you go to bed, and the next morning you wake up dead. 

My father did that!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1077 on: February 15, 2021, 11:50:58 am »

Death. Been there, done that. Now preparing for take two.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1078 on: February 15, 2021, 04:42:27 pm »

Death. Been there, done that. Now preparing for take two.
Unsurprisingly, it's not much different from the first time.

I rather like it, as it changes your view on life. The first time stopped me being a suicidal teenager (it wasn't suicide, but an allergic reaction to codeine) and the second was a few years ago and made me reassess what I was doing with my life and I vowed to stop wasting time. I was doing a lot better until this pesky pandemic made wasting time a universal goal.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1079 on: February 15, 2021, 08:30:02 pm »

And it can be so sudden. One day you are alive, and that night you go to bed, and the next morning you wake up dead. 

My father did that!
My Pop didn't make it to "wake up dead", but he did make it to about 1:00 AM.... heart attack--his third--60 years old.   

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1080 on: February 15, 2021, 10:54:36 pm »

My father did that!
My Pop didn't make it to "wake up dead", but he did make it to about 1:00 AM.... heart attack--his third--60 years old.   

My dad went to bed, went to sleep & never woke up - he was 53.
If you have to go that's the way to do it.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1081 on: February 15, 2021, 11:48:28 pm »

Absolutely, fer shure, fer shure.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1082 on: February 16, 2021, 01:29:53 am »

Absolutely, fer shure, fer shure.

It is, however, pretty hard on whoever finds them! My older brother died at the end of July last year - sat down to have a read & watch a bit of telly, and died in his chair. He was found the next morning by a neighbour who noticed the curtains were still open & the light still on, telly still going.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1083 on: February 18, 2021, 06:56:26 pm »

Just to lighten the mood a bit:

Internet of Clams!

From Hack A Day
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:58:47 pm by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1084 on: March 26, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »

So my local council are going to introduce a clean air zone in part of the City.

39 Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras will monitor vehicles in the zone.
From November, high-polluting private hire vehicles and taxis will be charged £10, while buses, coaches and lorries face a £50 fee.
Private cars and vans are not currently included in the forthcoming daily charges.

Yeah, right, parking permits started as free and now cost £30 a year for a single vehicle for each zone.
There is no restriction on open fires and wood burning stoves in the city.
If you get lost and not sure what direction you are facing just look for the constant plume of smoke emitted from the Councils recycling plant chimney.

Yet another way of squeezing more revenue from an already financially desperate community IMHO.

Absolute hypocritical bullshit, if ever I've seen it.

So........WTF!

Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1085 on: March 26, 2021, 04:07:47 pm »

So my local council are going to introduce a clean air zone in part of the City.

39 Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras will monitor vehicles in the zone.
From November, high-polluting private hire vehicles and taxis will be charged £10, while buses, coaches and lorries face a £50 fee.
Private cars and vans are not currently included in the forthcoming daily charges.

Yeah, right, parking permits started as free and now cost £30 a year for a single vehicle for each zone.
If you get lost and not sure what direction you are facing just look for the constant plume of smoke emitted from the Councils recycling plant chimney.

Yet another way of squeezing more revenue from an already financially desperate community IMHO.

Ah, yes...the heady euphoria that comes with wielding a club.....some folks are, at their core, petty dictators.
And dictators have to dictate, else they just shrivel up and waste away. 
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1086 on: March 27, 2021, 09:34:08 pm »

So........WTF!

And what do they spend this money on?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1087 on: March 28, 2021, 10:07:22 am »

So........WTF!

And what do they spend this money on?

Same as most Councils I suppose, gained revenue from parking fines, council tax, this scheme, would contribute to the overall infrastructure of the city.  Undecided
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1088 on: March 28, 2021, 11:38:48 am »

Same as most Councils I suppose, gained revenue from parking fines, council tax, this scheme, would contribute to the overall infrastructure of the city.  Undecided
I'm sorry, I'm boring.

You just don't like being robbed of your money? I understand you perfectly.

Or is this money also being strangely disposed of?
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1089 on: March 28, 2021, 12:11:23 pm »

Same as most Councils I suppose, gained revenue from parking fines, council tax, this scheme, would contribute to the overall infrastructure of the city.  Undecided
I'm sorry, I'm boring.

I'm sorry, I'm boring.  Not at all my friend.
You just don't like being robbed of your money? I understand you perfectly.  That sums it up, they are always finding new ways of screwing that extra penny from residents, within Government guidelines. I reckon it could be only time before they could bring back window tax Roll Eyes
Or is this money also being strangely disposed of? Who knows? Corruption can be, and often is widespread where Government and Council contracts are given, so possible although not proven and to be honest, I seriously doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:10:28 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1090 on: March 28, 2021, 06:10:05 pm »

I reckon it could be only time before they could bring back window tax Roll Eyes
Or is this money also being strangely disposed of? Who knows? Corruption can be, and often is widespread where Government and Council contracts are given, so possible although not proven and to be honest, I seriously doubt it.
"Never blame malice for that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." I forget who said that, but they're words to live by. Wink
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1091 on: March 29, 2021, 04:56:16 am »

Same as most Councils I suppose, gained revenue from parking fines, council tax, this scheme, would contribute to the overall infrastructure of the city.  Undecided
I'm sorry, I'm boring.

I'm sorry, I'm boring.  Not at all my friend.
You just don't like being robbed of your money? I understand you perfectly.  That sums it up, they are always finding new ways of screwing that extra penny from residents, within Government guidelines. I reckon it could be only time before they could bring back window tax Roll Eyes

Whether through incompetence or malice, the result is the same. Politicians hace to make up for the budget shortfall by increasing taxes.

Back in the 1980s Mexico increased the VAT to 15% (I trust UK and the rest of Europe already know what this is)  and they couldn't tax more on real estate property values, they moved to taxing on the value of your car, And when that could not be increased, during the economic crash of 1985, they moved to taxing satellite dish antennas and the number you had in your property. Because back in those days satellite dishes were very large they took to the air on helicopter to fly over the fancy neighborhoods to count the satellite dishes (satellite signals were not in the hands of cable company networks, you tuned directly to satellite signals of any country's satellite). Thankfully they never reached the level of checking for individual TV sets the way I hear happens in the UK.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #1092 on: March 29, 2021, 07:03:29 am »

In doing some research on how to price paintings one sells as an artist, there are two big winners for formulas.

1) Square inch formula. measure the work, and multiply the result against a number that is sort of how you rank in the art world. And I swear I very nearly choke every time I do this and think about how much my instinct is to undersell my work because that seem insane to ask those prices. And I have to remind myself that that can be the price for the original and in the meantime I can get some prints made and sold for the range I instinctively want to set  my prices.

2) The hourly wage, plus costs. This feels like the accountants way to me, and I'm not a book keeper (unless we are talking sci-fi, fantasy or crafting books, then I do keep a lot of those books) and would make excuses like I wasn't really working on it for real for those hours I was just brainstorming and playing around with it, that doesn't count, and I had the supplies already, and made a simple frame myself so I don't need to price that into it. But this is a pretty interesting way to come to some thoughts of the value of a painting.

But the thing that get's me is in figuring out the hourly wage for a painting, the US government has a number it uses to list what the average professional visual artist makes per hour, and per year. The average annual income of a visual artist according to the US government is ... $53,000 annually. Well F Lips sealed me.

The hourly wage is derived from working that number out to 40 hours/week 4.33 weeks a month, 12 months a year. and thus amounts to around $25/hr. ... (me looking at the stupid pay check I get from the job that is causing me panic attacks and destroying my sanity... well f Lips sealed this).

and when I think of it even more, that the annual number is based on calculations of income made, not paintings made. Because when you realise that not every painting sells, and not all the artist work is just painting, but marketing and sales and relationships with collectors and galleries etc.

Mother F Lips sealed er I need to switch careers, like two years ago. lol.

and yes before anyone says anything, I know that is a gross oversimplification, but it really has me reevaluating some things and thinking about how I want to move forward in life.

But it makes me say WTF in multiple ways.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #1093 on: March 29, 2021, 05:57:45 pm »

I reckon it could be only time before they could bring back window tax Roll Eyes
"Never blame malice for that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." I forget who said that, but they're words to live by. Wink

Hanlon's Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1094 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:02 pm »

Hanlon's Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
That would be the one. Thank you.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1095 on: March 29, 2021, 09:39:26 pm »

That would be the one. Thank you.

A minor(?)  thread hijack... "Hanlon's Razor"  sounded oddly familiar to me, reminding me of [Robert A.] Heinlein's Razor, which actually turned out to be correct.  

Info courtesy of Wikipedia:  

Inspired by Occam's razor, Hanlon's razor became known as such in 1990 by the Jargon File, a glossary of computer programmer slang, though the phrase itself had been in general usage years before. Later that same year, the Jargon File editors noted lack of knowledge about the term's derivation and the existence of a similar epigram by William James.[5] In 1996, the Jargon File entry on Hanlon's Razor noted the existence of a similar quotation in Robert A. Heinlein's novella Logic of Empire (1941), with speculation that Hanlon's Razor might be a corruption of "Heinlein's Razor". (The character "Doc" in Heinlein's story described the "devil theory" fallacy, explaining, "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity.")

Earlier attributions to the idea go back to at least the 18th century. First published in German (1774), Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote in The Sorrows of Young Werther (as translated):

Misunderstandings and lethargy perhaps produce more wrong in the world than deceit and malice do. At least the latter two are certainly rarer.

An alternate expression of the idea comes from Jane West, in her 1812 novel The Loyalists: An Historical Novel:

Let us not attribute to malice and cruelty what may be referred to less criminal motives.

A similar quote is also misattributed to Napoleon.

Andrew Roberts, in his biography of Winston Churchill, quotes from Churchill's correspondence with King George VI in February 1943 regarding disagreements with Charles De Gaulle: "'His 'insolence ... may be founded on stupidity rather than malice.'"  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:52:09 pm by Deimos » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1096 on: April 11, 2021, 05:00:44 pm »

In moan mode yet again, it appears............

So, there was a tree in my neighbours garden until a few days ago, a wood pigeons roost and attracted sparrows, is no more it seems during the past week some twonk has slaughtered it back to a stump.

I understand a bit of topping or crowning, I used to work as an arborists labourer, but this thing looks barren with little hope of recovery.

Bang goes my bird table and the family of wood pigeons I have fed for the past 5 years then.  Roll Eyes

WTF!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1097 on: April 11, 2021, 10:55:50 pm »

In moan mode yet again, it appears............

So, there was a tree in my neighbours garden until a few days ago, a wood pigeons roost and attracted sparrows, is no more it seems during the past week some twonk has slaughtered it back to a stump.

I understand a bit of topping or crowning, I used to work as an arborists labourer, but this thing looks barren with little hope of recovery.

Bang goes my bird table and the family of wood pigeons I have fed for the past 5 years then.  Roll Eyes

WTF!

Hopefully there was/is a TPO on it.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1098 on: April 12, 2021, 08:18:40 am »

But once a tree is down, what you can do?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1099 on: April 12, 2021, 12:17:53 pm »

Fine the person & make them replace like for like. Besides, its also illegal to disturb nesting birds.

Cutting down trees: law and legislation (Woodland Trust)

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: