The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 19, 2021, 01:34:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work day verses Fun day........  (Read 743 times)
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« on: June 27, 2015, 07:22:41 pm »

This site had so many different countries represented that I was wondering.   Today is Saturday, and for most office based professions it is a day where businesses are closed.  Tomorrow will be similar, with the additional activity of Church attendance for many.  (We do have some Saturday services depending on your beliefs and schedules.)

So......  humor my ignorance please.............    Is the 5 day work week Monday through Friday universally common?

I work in emergency and disaster response, so I don't have a normal schedule.  But this is a rare weekend off for me, so I was excited to spend some time enjoying the site.   When I got on and things were quiet, it made me wonder if it is also the weekend for everyone else etc.

Thanks for educating a non-worldy patron.

Serrac
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 08:27:16 pm »

You mean people actually get a day off  Shocked

I spent most of my working life on 24/7/365 call, so the concept of regular hours with time off each week is something I'm struggling with.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:36:18 pm »

Oh I hear you.  One of the "emergencies" I respond to is Forest Fires.   This is season.  So by this time next week I might be in another part of the country working 18-25 days straight. 

But I am asking about the standard work week......   Is there such a thing?
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:33:15 pm »

It is in the U.S., but I work a retail job, so my workdays change week to week...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:56 am »

In Canada, the standard is Mon-Fri, as you might imagine.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:32:13 am »

Isn't the standard here in the U.S. whatever your damn boss thinks it is?! My boss thinks so.
but then I usually ignore my boss. Grin

How do I keep a job, well, sometimes I don't, mostly I do. Who else is going to do what I do, as well as I do?
*pats self on back* and the boss knows it!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:57 am »

It should be universal but in some countries it is customary to work part of Saturday too.

However, the 9-5 full-time work week is quickly disappearing.

The current trend in the Western Hemisphere is for employers to hire people with as flexible hours as possible.  Professionals often will have to be on call and work way past "9-to5" schedules, on the pretext that their job is "important."  Translation: Employers have have found themselves in an "employer's market" due to the global recession, thereby taken advantage of the  workers to extract as much work from them as possible.

A white collar worker, such as an engineer is expected to perform the engineering calculations, get data from databases, write the computer program, compile it, translate it and adapted to the Internet using other applications, in order to finally produce the software in finished form. Gone are the "middle men," and the white collar worker is taking the job duties of what used to be a 3-5 people task 20 years ago.

White collar workers don't do it just yet, but employers are thinking hard to find ways to cut even more middlemen, and have the worker print the CDs and boxes, print the manuals and documentation, stuff it in the boxes and personally drive the finished product to the client using a delivery truck.  

For blue collar workers, the 9-5, 40 or 50 hour week is gone, replaced with 20 hrs per week divided in 6 or 7 days of the week, depending on where you work.  You are also expected to be on call 24/7 (second jobs are shunned so you must lie to your boss about having another job), and at a wage level that puts you well under the poverty level (If you're lucky enough, you might earn so little money you won't have to file your tax return). When times are slow, you are expected to take days off without previous notice, but you can't get another job because that jeopardises your current job - so you borrow money or go on food stamps (on the dole for our UK friends) so you can survive until your boss decides to call you back in.

Any questions?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:00:06 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Serrac
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:44:51 pm »

Any questions?

The Victorians had domestic servitude where household staff were expected to be at the beck and call of the master (or mistress) at any time of day. If they didn't want to work, there was always the work house.

There are some that still expect the former from their employees, and a few that would like to see the reintroduction of the latter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: