The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 08:44:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nay, Nay and thrice Nay I say! (Musical abomination)  (Read 2237 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 07:20:02 am »

One person's musical abomination is another's musical treasure.

Or to put it another way: They sure did get your attention, didn't they?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:45:10 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 07:34:12 am »

The way I see it the girls from Baby Metal are definitely deaf.  The bits where they sing are basically unrelated to the background death metal sound.  Think about it.  They would rehearse their routine, perfect and memorize it, and then reproduce it on stage without being bothered by the loud music.  I think I found their secret  Grin

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 07:49:47 am »

Actually, its japanese traditional forms applied to how the Japanese media companies see death metal. Basically synthesis of our culture with theirs. Japanese sensibilities and traditions/superstitions/folklore about death tend to be pretty dang dark; In some cases darker than any Western tradition. it's acftually a massive mistake to assume that their music is any way a plagiarization of Western music.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »

...Neigh?...

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?tab=ww&ei=KHTVUqrfNMms7QbmkICoDQ&ved=0CBIQ1S4#q=nay

I actually don't mind Gloryhammer or Alestorm or even a good mashup, but this really didn't seem to work.
Gloryhammer - TFTKOF

I've listened to other tracks by Babymetal on youtube and they are OK-ish............
Babymetal - Babymetal Full Album (2014)

My opinion ladies and Gents, my opinion............
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:05:23 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 03:39:13 pm »

I actually don't mind Gloryhammer or Alestorm or even a good mashup, but this really didn't seem to work.
Gloryhammer - TFTKOF
Let me get this straight - you don't mind Gloryhammer, but their one and only album, their entire oeuvre, didn't seem to work?

As for Babymetal, the only tracks I really listen to these days are Gimme Choko! and Dorki Dorki Morning.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 03:49:16 pm »

Oops, my bad in editing the post.

I like Gloryhammer, the Babymetal track I originally posted dont work. IMHO  Tongue

Sorry for the confusion.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:01 pm »

Something like this perhaps a bit more consistent? I'm still not on board, though...  Undecided

BABYMETAL - メギツネ - MEGITSUNE (Full ver.)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 02:11:43 am »

I dunno, I kinda like that one.

Anybody else want to see a collaboration between Babymetal and these guys? (WARNING: Probably not particularly SFW)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 09:43:05 am »

One person's musical abomination is another's musical treasure.

Or to put it another way: They sure did get your attention, didn't they?

Alright, alright, let me see how far I can push this subject... You think that three little Lolitas singing "chocolato" to the sound of Death Metal is weird? No no...

Some of you may remember or not (this was a Queer Geer subject- so unless you read that thread you won't know), a few years back we discussed a Swedish teenage kid by the stage name "Yohio," who started a teenage Glam-Metal band called "Seremedy" and his band made it to Japan?

At 6 years of age Yohio was a musical virtuoso in the piano, he was always big into Metal, since Yohio is the son of Tommy Rehn of the Swedish Heavy Metal band Corroded, and the grandson of Jan-Eric Rehn who was a guitarist in 1960s band The Panthers.  You know how those Scandinavians got really serious about metal....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yohio

Anyhow, what made the kid famous is not the Metal, but that he basically sustained two separate careers, a musical family and had a penchant for Japanese culture, particularly "Visual Kei" (Japanese Glam Rock) - and cross-dressing. He worked as a solo J-Pop music singer (in Japanese) and also as the bassist/guitarist for his Metal band. The Metal band made him win many music contests in Sweden, and his on-stage Lolita cross-dressing made him stand out both in Sweden and Japan, and through contests and influence managed to fly his band to Japan several times for tours, taking advantage of the promotion to push his solo career in J-pop music.

So by his own appeal to the Japanese public, he managed to pull his metal band along into success and become renowned with Universal Records in Japan. Not a small feat at his age.

Surprisingly, two years ago they disbanded after only one year of meteoric success (and truly fanatical following) in Japan. The frontman of Seremedy ended up with Kerbera, and I thought his Swedish friends disbanded because Yohio wanted to continue his J-Pop career alone and he didn't need them any more, but apparently, this year, he has re-started another Metal band called "DISREIGN" (cap.), and they just released their first album - he is now the front man of that band.

I'll let you judge the contents:

DISREIGN "Until the Fade (2015) sung in Japanese by Yohio
DISREIGN - UNTIL THE FADE (OFFICIAL PV)

SEREMEDY "No Escape" (2012) sung in English by Seike. Guitar by Yohio (the dude in a white dress)
Seremedy - NO ESCAPE [OFFICIAL PV]

YOHIO "SKY☆LiMiT" (2012) (Open the video in a new page - embedding disabled)
YOHIO - SKY☆LiMiT (MV)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:04:30 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 09:52:50 am »

Ah, I assume this must be the thread Mr Willhelm was referring too. I must confess I don't think Chocolate is one of Babymetal's strongest offerings, and yet seems to be the one that's bringing them even wider attention. Personally Headbanger remains my favourite. I don't know quite when their bubble will burst. It's interesting because in terms of Idol status I guess Suzuka Nakamoto (Su-Metal) is possibly getting a little old. I think she'll transcend all that due to genuine talent. From what I gather, the idea for Babymetal was essentially formed around her vocal ability, which as it turned out is not the product of clever production but is actually pretty fierce. I think the reason certain well known Mettalions such as Megadeath & Mastodon etc, declared their support a couple of years back, was that they realised a band like this was potentially bringing (quite) hard rock to a younger audience. That's good for business (it's just been revealed that metal fans are some of the most consistent and loyal supporters and purchasers of music). And in spite of the occasional sugary offering from BM, some of their musical subject matter, such as anti bullying and what have you is laudable. As for a Dimmu Borgir collaboration, I still think despite their seemingly comical parody, those guys might take themselves just a little too seriously for that (they were a bunch of bloody miseries when I saw them). Cradle Of Filth on the other hand will work with anybody.  Cheesy

BABYMETAL - ヘドバンギャー!  .
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:15:34 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 09:58:05 am »

Well, this is one of two threads, Mr. Fairbrass. By the way, thank you for your participation.  Your knowledge is much appreciated!

The other thread is the musical Trivia thread ("Song Question for the Mature Listener"):
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45413.0.html
 Grin
We need someone to come up with unsolvable riddles for all the music aficionados to solve  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2015, 12:36:10 pm »

Currently in the process of a mid-life-crisis, planning to jack in my job, sell everything I own and buy a beach-hut in Bali........ etc etc. Roll Eyes  I am actually starting to kinda like this now, have I totally lost the plot?

Oh dear, Physician use your alchemy to cure my various ailments.... Please!  Tongue
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2015, 04:49:31 pm »

Currently in the process of a mid-life-crisis, planning to jack in my job, sell everything I own and buy a beach-hut in Bali........ etc etc. Roll Eyes  I am actually starting to kinda like this now, have I totally lost the plot?

Oh dear, Physician use your alchemy to cure my various ailments.... Please!  Tongue
It sounds as if you haven't so much lost the plot, as realised that it's a comedy and not a tragedy. Which in itself cures most things.  Wink
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 12:09:42 am »

J. Wilhelm, I clicked on your first offering of DISREIGN. My first thoughts, Joan Rivers. Did really like the video from BabyMetal. That rocked.

What we'er really looking and listening to is the cultural differences in music. Years ago I was at a Hunan restaurant.They were playing an oriental version of Santana. An entire album. It was really, to put it lightly, different. Not bad. Skilled musicians on their part. An interesting mix of dorian and oriental music notation.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 01:17:16 am »

J. Wilhelm, I clicked on your first offering of DISREIGN. My first thoughts, Joan Rivers. Did really like the video from BabyMetal. That rocked.

What we'er really looking and listening to is the cultural differences in music. Years ago I was at a Hunan restaurant.They were playing an oriental version of Santana. An entire album. It was really, to put it lightly, different. Not bad. Skilled musicians on their part. An interesting mix of dorian and oriental music notation.

Yes, I think Yohio in his latest incarnation looks like a deranged Joan Rivers. Truth is that he's growing up and he's losing the girly looks that made him famous in Japan.  To be honest I'm not sure he's headed in the right direction. Former Seremedy lead singer Seike is the better singer in my opinion, and I don't hear anything execeptional in either Seremedy's or Disreign's more adult Metal sound.

Just because he's a music virtuouso, doesn't mean he knows where he's going. I think he'll stick to the solo career with pop sound, but I'm not sure how successful Disreign will be.  The Japanese crowd can be very fickle, and frankly, there's a ton of Japanese bands, Visual Kei or not, whose Metal just sounds plain better than his band's sound
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:26:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 05:55:47 pm »

And speaking of just a bit off center but still fun,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c&feature=youtu.be

If you click on CC you can read the lyrics in English.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 06:27:12 pm »

And speaking of just a bit off center but still fun,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c&feature=youtu.be

If you click on CC you can read the lyrics in English.

Ha, ha, ha!~  Holy marketing promo genderwcrew! Cheesy If Yohio doesn't watch out and plan right, he's going to end up exactly like that
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: