The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 09:28:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boots inspiration  (Read 2192 times)
MissJaynie
Deck Hand
England England

« on: June 22, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »

Hey,

I'm putting together my first Steampunk outfit together, and I would like an opinion on a pair of boots I have. I want to wear them but want to Steampunk them up a bit first. I was thinking of putting something on them, like to age them a bit, like ruff and buff but I have never tried anything like that before so any advise would be great thanks. Also if there are any suggestions on how to add a bit more to them, any would be appriciated Smiley

These are a stock photo of the boots I have;

http://www.kipkop.fi/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/r/arena_2020_b_pu0027.jpg

Thanks
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:19 pm »

I got no idea, but welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

for the lazy amoungst us.....

Umm, if they are leather, light rub with a fine sandpaper would ruff 'em up a bit.

Maybe a brass chain draped, just avoid anything cog or gear related.

Actually you might get a better responce if this was moved to Anatomical

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:18:19 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:42:44 pm »

Using the wrong colour shoe polish can add depth and character to leather, I do this automatically with brown leather shoes.  Don't apply it evenly though, really work it in around the seams and edges.  Normally of always go with a darker shade of polish than the leather, with black I'd give one of the cherry coloured polishes a try.

I wouldn't use sandpaper, scuffs will develop naturally with time - and faking age/wear to look right is often harder than letting it happen on its own.

They look good to go add they are, I wouldn't add any stick on cog tour decorations.  Maybe an over-boot anklet though?  Or maybe a sheet copper sheath around the hell spike?
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:52:23 pm »

I would personally do what I do to new docs...... strap them to the back of my Harley and drag 'em down the road for 100 yards or so. Suitably scuffed  Tongue
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:16 pm »

Moved thread to 'Anatomical' - should get a better responce here.

Also, welcome to the forum MissJaynie. Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:42:20 am »

I'm with Mr. Salt on this - don't ruin them!  But a selection of interesting spats will allow you to change the look at will.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 04:30:14 am »

Find some filigree stencils and put on some designs with gold leaf.  I feel, less would be more in this case and it should be fairly easy to accomplish.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 04:47:39 am »

maybe  see if the metal is plated brass. I have some old Austrian army boots that have brass hardware that looks great now that I sanded off the black paint and nickel plating somewhat, just enough to show off the brass. a side effect was wearing some of the black of the leather off, at high spots, mink oil and some brown polish protects that now and makes the wear look even better. if you have metal working skills or have access to someone who does, maybe some fancy spurs of some sort?

don't forget the rocket boots from defenders of the galaxy, plenty of room around those heels for rocket motors and extraneous hardware.

they sell LED lights for bicycle valve stems that glow when exposed to inertia, maybe use them so they light up from walking? on the heels or in the laces somehow.

even some foam claw spurs like a raptor or a bird has, added to the heels, foam for safety and to minimize ruining furniture and other peoples podiatric underpinnings. foam can be painted to look very lifelike too.

like mentioned, spats or even puttees would change things up for different costumes. a couple of feathers and trinkets interwoven with the laces could act as a sort of walking diary for your character too. mementos from important events in the past.
MissJaynie
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:47:04 am »

Thanks guys for all these great ideas. I never even thought about an ankle cuff for them. I might go with the boor polish idea first to see how it looks and not scuff.them up, but i will definitly.look at the cuff idea Smiley
MissJaynie
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:12 am »

Just a thought, would anyone think taking tha laces out and replacing them with say ribbon or somethibg like that, as they zip up the side so the laces are for show Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:50 pm »

How about copper wire instead of the laces?

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 06:17:46 pm »

You can combine ideas by making a spat/puttee out of interesting fabric and adding steampunk details to that.  If it works you've got a changeable accessory and if it doesn't you've still got your boots.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 08:34:47 pm »

Great boots!  
I'd like to see a color (or texture) difference between the foot and leg parts of the boot.  
And the heel would look cool covered with metal foil.  Copper if you can find it, or gold would look like brass.
There are easy to use foil kits, where the faux gold or silver or copper foil is stuck to plastic sheets so it's easy to control and apply.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 05:46:36 pm »

Just a thought, would anyone think taking tha laces out and replacing them with say ribbon or somethibg like that, as they zip up the side so the laces are for show Smiley
Ribbon lacing would work very well - in a colour to match the trim of the rest of your outfit.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »

How about copper wire instead of the laces?
I wasn't going to suggest this because I thought it would be impossible to do them up, but if they're side-zips then I think bicycle cable/aircraft cable can be found in a coppery-looking material.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
MissJaynie
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »

Well at the moment the rest of the outfit is a white shirt, black underbust corset, black top hat (which i will be adding to so it matches more of rest of outfit) and a purple bustle skirt thats thats shorter at front (that i can ruffle up using ribbon) but i still need to put the trim on, however i am torn between white or black. I will post a photo of skirt when i get on my laptop (tablet wont let me load a photo for some reason) as that might help as to what to add to boots.
but you guys are coming up with so many great ideas, now it's gonna to be a problem to pick which to do Smiley
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 07:06:30 pm »

but you guys are coming up with so many great ideas, now it's gonna to be a problem to pick which to do Smiley
You'll just have to buy more boots, won't you? Smiley
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 07:51:20 pm »

Would overlaying of "imitation" spats work in this case?  Maybe a brown sueded material and have the rest of the boot (since they're so long) show, maybe with the addition of a few belt straps (also in a brown colour?

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:22 pm »

Ribbon laces can realy tie an outfit together and they are easy to do.  You could also make some boot jewellery like making ribbon rosettes that match your outfit and clip on to the boots with a bit  of wire that slides down on the inside to hold it in place.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 03:52:23 am »

I saw a video of a man distressing a leather jacket for a post-apocalyptic look. One of the first steps was to use acetone to remove the finish and dye from the leather. This is one of those "adequate ventilation" steps of a project. Using some on the toes, heels and a few other areas would take it down to the natural leather and then you could dye or wax those parts with other colors.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 03:57:22 am »

you can lace your ribbon through beads and bangles since they will stay tied all the time.

spats made from stretchy material can have a fake button edge and just be pulled up like a sock.

lace them upside down so the bow is at the toes.

just don't fall down in them, those heels look like ankle breakers.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 10:55:31 pm »

Dear MissJaynie,
Those are indeed gorgeous boots; please excuse me if this posts turns somewhat green with envy...

I think if they were mine, their Steampunk makeover would consist of reversible changes. I have a suggestion along the lines of clip-on items; what about pouches that could be clipped to the boot top and then secured around the leg with a strap? This could be used to carry say a telescope, your aetheric disruptor ray-gun (or nerf dart ammunition for such) or a for a reviving tipple in a small flask. Actually I might have a go at the latter myself; I have a new pair of boots from the Whitby Gothic Weekend and a hip-flak from a recent vintage fair that could be brought together...

Oh, and ladies and gentlemen, if you woudn't mind looking away for the moment whilst I purloin all these wonderful ideas...  Wink

Really looking forwards to seeing the pictures of your completed footware,

Yours,
Miranda.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 10:45:18 am »

I saw a video of a man distressing a leather jacket for a post-apocalyptic look. One of the first steps was to use acetone to remove the finish and dye from the leather. This is one of those "adequate ventilation" steps of a project. Using some on the toes, heels and a few other areas would take it down to the natural leather and then you could dye or wax those parts with other colors.
You'd also need to be sure the boots are real leather, and not a fashionable imitation..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: