The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 09:26:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absinthe Drinks, Experimentation and Request for Suggestions  (Read 1521 times)
Lepidoptera
Gunner
United States United States

« on: June 21, 2015, 06:23:58 pm »

Well, I had to try it. I bought a bottle of absinthe (the cheap brand). When I opened it, it smelled delicious. I absolutely love licorice. Tried it the traditional way with sugar and cold water and it was *meh*. Maybe it could use some carbonation.

I put it in the refrigerator to chill it and also some cream soda (which is vanilla and brown) and some seltzer water (which is clear but I didn't realize until I got it home was lemon-lime flavored). Mixing it with sugar and seltzer was pretty darn good. Mixing it with the cream soda resulted in an ugly brownish color but it was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! I ended up enjoying more of it than I should have.

I'm going to be on the lookout for completely unflavored seltzer for further testing, and see if there is any clear cream soda out there. I seem to remember blue cream soda from my childhood but I don't remember the brand and don't know if it's still sold. It would maybe make a prettier drink than the brown stuff. Smiley

Does anyone have a favorite absinthe drink?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:33:22 pm by Lepidoptera » Logged
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:13 am »

There are innumerable cocktails using absinthe in varying quantities - try here for starters.

Your ability to make and enjoy many of these will depend on your supply of cocktail ingredients and, naturally, taste.  I've enjoyed, say, the 3G and the 1815 Sutherland Highlanders, but some ingredients may be too 'grown up' (I mean no offence) if you're not used to cocktails.  You'll find a little absinthe goes a long way.  Several of the recipes on Kindred call for just a rinse, where a small quantity of absinthe is swirled around the glass and discarded (or poured back in the bottle) before the rest of the drink is added.  This gives a very subtle hint of aniseed to the overall drink without (usually) upsetting those who don't think they like the smell or taste.

If there's a good craft cocktail bar where you live, drop in on a quieter night, sit at the bar and talk to the bartenders.  Watch how they work, and ask them to introduce you to different drinks containing absinthe.  I warn you - this could be the start of an(other) expensive hobby!

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:00:41 am »

Just tried a shot of absinthe in diet Pepsi cola - Unusual taste, strongly licorice-like and not unlike the 'bobbly' blue or pink chewy aniseed ones in a pack of Liquorice allsorts

Quite pleasant, and depending on the absinthe used, may have quite a botanical taste. Coca-Cola might give a different effect, worth trying at least.

Word of warning - it disguises the alcohol well, and you will only realize you are completely rat-arsed when you try to stand up!

Ah, devil ether. It makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor function. Blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue. The mind recoils in horror, unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interesting because you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can’t control it.   Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:39:32 am »

Egad, sir!  I fear you may have over-indulged (in the interests of Science, of course).

Rule of thumb (pertaining to more interesting cocktails - possibly doesn't apply to student abominations): if you're drinking cocktails for the effect, you've missed the point.
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:40:46 am »

My own favorite is still a classic Sazerac, in which just enough absinthe is used to wet the interior of the glass while mixing a sugar cube, Peychaud's bitters, and cognac or rye whisky, then adding that to the original glass with a twist of lemon peel. Delicious!
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 02:55:20 am »

Try straining the water through ice cubes before adding it to the absinthe and maybe add a little more sugar. "Death in the Afternoon" is a cocktail with absinthe and champagne. I tried one a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. It was not unlike getting kicked by a mule that was wearing fuzzy slippers.

There's also absinthe ice cream, if you want something even colder and sweeter -  http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/05/absinthe-ice-cream/

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 03:45:09 am »

In case anyone's interested, here's Absinthe, the Green Fairy, the "official" BG absinthe thread.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:30:02 am »

I can thoroughly recommend David Lebovitz's absinthe cake, too.  But perhaps we digress ...
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:46:15 am »

Just tried a shot of absinthe in diet Pepsi cola
Coca-Cola might give a different effect, worth trying at least.

You are a bounder and a cad for even suggesting such thing  Shocked

./me wanders off to get the tea duelling kit.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 08:21:36 pm »

Just put a big red cross across Absinthe as I hate the taste of licorice.
I must be one of the only people who can't stand the taste.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »

Just put a big red cross across Absinthe as I hate the taste of licorice.
I must be one of the only people who can't stand the taste.
I have never liked the taste of licorice; I do really like the taste of anise. Go figure.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »

Well although my experience of absinthe is limited (though I do find the liquorice taste of pernod overpowering) I will admit to being intrigued as to two absinthe based drinks which I have heard of;

1. Apparently the favoured tipple of Toloulse Lautrece, a drink called L'Earthquake which is made with equal parts absinthe (filtered in the usual manner through a sugar cube) and cognac.

2. The favoured drink of both down and outs and bohemians in late 19th Century Paris, Scavenger's absinthe (I'm afraid the french name eludes me but which is along the lines of absinthe de voignteur) which is a mixture of absinthe and red wine (it is mentioned in The Difference Engine).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 02:12:29 pm »

1 part Absinthe to 3 parts R.Whites Cream Soda..it's called 'Green Silk' and is delicious!! I'm sure plenty of people can lay claim to discovering this but my personal thanks go to Mark Britten (aka 'The Alco-mist') who created it whilst we were in Transylvania in 1998..

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 02:26:54 pm »

1 part Absinthe to 3 parts R.Whites Cream Soda..it's called 'Green Silk' and is delicious!! I'm sure plenty of people can lay claim to discovering this but my personal thanks go to Mark Britten (aka 'The Alco-mist') who created it whilst we were in Transylvania in 1998..

Agreed. Delicious.  Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: