The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 10:23:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this steampunk enough?  (Read 1805 times)
dylesid
Swab

Poland Poland

« on: June 19, 2015, 12:28:44 pm »

Does it look steampunk enough? Copper especially?
Good work Canada
 Roll Eyes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074091948/einzig-tops

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »

I'm going with No.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:59:45 pm »

I'm going with No.
I would agree.

dylesid
Swab

Poland Poland

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »

To simple, I believe?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:47 pm »

They look like perfume bottles (without the glass).

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:51:13 pm »

Looks like some of the stuff I've got in a drawer labelled 'I don't know what this is, where it came from or what it's for'.

Lots of odd shaped things that you think you might eventually find a use for.

But nothing ever comes out of the drawer labelled 'I don't know what this is, where it came from or what it's for'...

They only go in.  Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »

Steampunk enough for what? As an addition to an already fairly steampunk house they would not look out of place certainly.

No one thing (however coggy, burnished or veneered) is steampunk. If it is then it becomes an icon or a symbol like a cross or a pentagram. No one thing has that ability to summarise this sub-culture currently.

If you like it then buy it. If not then don't. If you live in fear and guilt of an item in your house "giving you away" as something other than you would like yourself to be. (in the uncontrolable eyes of others) then I would humbly suggest that you need to look towards the "punk" part of steampunk in order to reground yourself.

I do not wish to offend but comparative testing within a gray area is at best counter productive, and worst? Damn limiting.    

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 03:05:38 pm »

They look like the things sitting at the end of curtain rods. I don't suppose they are some kind of faucets?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »

They are simply tops.  Shown in their stand next to a bowl to spin them in.

As said, on their own not very steampunk, but could be added to something a just a part of something steampunk.  Expensive way to go now, but later they will show up in yard sales for a buck or two.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 09:45:31 pm »

I think they are gorgeous.  They would fit very well in a steampunk setting but they don't define steampunk to me.
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 01:51:15 am »

They'er spinning tops. Toys for playing around the coal stove on a cold winter's night. I think the three toys would look great. However the stand and what looks like a shallow reflecting pool takes away from the simple beauty of the toys themselves. Set them in a box or display board with victorian graphics and they'd rock the house.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 05:59:38 am »

one piece cast in stainless steel and titanium? Is he using PMC?

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 11:02:05 pm »

Those tops strike me as more art-deco.  But I'm with Maets that they need not ruin the feel of a steampunk setting.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »

Looks like some of the stuff I've got in a drawer labelled 'I don't know what this is, where it came from or what it's for'.

Lots of odd shaped things that you think you might eventually find a use for.

But nothing ever comes out of the drawer labelled 'I don't know what this is, where it came from or what it's for'...

They only go in.  Grin

I bet you say that to all the girls: "Pop up to my boudoir, have a rummage round me 'I don't know what this is, where it came from or what it's for' draw and see if something catches your eye, me dear."
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 05:04:05 am »

inset the bowl and stand into a nice dark piece of fancy woodwork and decorate the tops so they light up while spinning or just add two pipes that blow air crosswise to the spinning bowl so it helps keep the tops spinning. just taking the edge off the liquid polished look would help (that could be the photography playing tricks too). even some engraved Egyptian (or martian) pictographs on them would do wonders and play up the otherworldly look of them. inset the bowl into the wood so lighting the perimeter to cast a glow on the tops would be a nice effect. especially with black light and some well placed fluorescent paint on the tops (in the pictographs?)

to me, as is, they're not very steamy, but they do have potential, if you can get them cheap enough to modify them without getting that puckered/constipated feeling next to your wallet.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 03:22:56 am »

Otto had some great ideas, but I think you need to add some wires and a battery, because they are obviously current-generators and you need to store the energy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:30 am »

could be very fancy knobs for a gentleman's pocket time machine, I suppose. Or perhaps tiny spaceships.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: