The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 07:15:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paris - places to visit?  (Read 618 times)
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« on: June 15, 2015, 10:23:21 pm »

I'm about to visit Paris for a few days.  I've been only once before, and that too was a brief visit, years ago.  Are there any places I really should visit; cafes or other public buildings with impressive interiors, say?  Take it as read that I'll be scaling M Eiffel's Tower...
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:24:57 pm »

The Bastille Memorial.

Will post more when I remember.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:33:10 am »

Stating the obvious, the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre museum, the cathedral of Notre Dame.  If you're feeling cheeky go to Pigalle.  If you just have a few days I'm not sure you could make it to Versailles, as that's some way out (just 12 miles, though).

We actually stayed at a modern hotel near the Place des Pyramides and we were renting a car, so we drove about the city (and then we drove through Spain and Switzerland, ending in Germany, but that's another story).

If you're walking, beware of Italians driving a car from nowhere, and stopping in front of you and trying to sell you suede suits, then quickly making a getaway as soon as they spot the gendarmes(!)

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:42:57 pm »

The Moulin Rouge.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:13:06 pm »

The best way to go around in Paris is with the subway (Metro for downtown, RER for surrounding villages).
If you take the 2 and 6 you make a nice trip around town. Those two metro's are the ones that stay above ground most of the time.

Sacre Coeur is a wonderfull church with a marketplace with some nice artists. Make sure if you want your picture drawn, to set a price first.

The city is scattered with parks. Parc des Buttes-Chaumont is a nice English style park with a grotto, a little island and a couple of bridges.
Jardin du Luxembourg is also a nice garden. Same goes for Champ-de-Mars and Jardins du Trocadero, on either side of the Eiffel tower.

As for public buildings, I would go for trainstations. Garre du Nord, Garre de 'l Est, Saint-Lazare. If you've got a morbide taste, perhaps Père Lachaise Cemetery would be nice to visit. Lots of famous people are burried there. Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde. Gallaries Lafayette is also an impressive building, same goes for Les Halles.

Cafés and restaurants are abundened. Almost on every corner there is a place to eat and/or drink. Best is to stay away from the tourist traps at the common places.

The city is a monument on it's own. Everything is build in the Haussmann style. So it doesn't really matter where you go in Paris, it's all "vintage".

I haven't done this myself, but I've been told that the underground (sewer) tour is impressive.

What I have done a couple of times, in my young days is go on a friday evening at 10pm to Tour Montpernasse. Strap on some rollerblades and see the city from another perspective. Back then (about 10 years ago) there where about 30.000 rollerbladers every friday, rollerblading through the city streets. Amasing to see, awesome to participate and relativly safe. If one would fall, crewmembers will help you back up. http://pari-roller.com/

Just like in every big city, beware of pickpockets and scam artists. My experience with the Parisians is that they are friendly and helpfull (if they are not in a hurry) and most youngsters speak English, but try to start in French.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »

The Moulin Rouge.

Also beware of corrupt tourist guides.  We were using Wagons Lits in the early-80's and in spite of that one of the tourist guides kept insisting we shouldn't go to Lido, because we'd find hard drugs and prostitution and blah, blah.. We went to Moulin Rouge.  Then a friend of mine went to Paris and his tourist guide told them not to go to Moulin Rouge because they'd encounter hard drugs and prostitution and blah blah...  Cheesy Obviously the tour guides ate corrupt, being paid by the businesses.

All I ever found at the Moulin Rouge were some very nice and tall naked ladies  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: