The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 06:17:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in a South West Steampunk event in Plymouth?  (Read 689 times)
anya_elizabeth
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 20, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »

Hello all,

My name is Anya, and I've decided to jump straight from Steampunk lurker to big party host by throwing a Halloween charity fundraiser with a Victorian Variety theme. I've amassed a committee of lovely and talented people to help me, but now I need to prove there's interest so I can get started. SO - is anyone interested in this kind of event in the South West? Is Halloween a terrible choice as you'll all be jetting off to more established events?

It'd really help me if you could fill in this short survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SDpceUWYIIlGdcR-MlWM9a7SarBTURGRM8Yh1Y0b0_0/viewform

Some more information:

I'm REALLY hoping to have the event in Devonport Guildhall, because it looks great, has a decent capacity and a history of helping community projects. I've been in contact and am waiting for a response.

I'm hoping to create a really fun, lively atmosphere with music, magic and the macabre, plus lots of dancing. I've contacted a few artists but if anyone has any recommendations or contacts that would be amazing.

At the moment we're considering supporting these three local charities: Jeremiah's Journey, Home-Start South Hams Plymouth and Tavistock, and Plymouth MIND.

Facebook event page and ticket site will go up when everything's in place.

Thanks for reading, fellows!
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:58:55 pm »

Which artists have you been in contact with?, any bands...

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:20:01 am »

Has anyone ever done a map locating the UK annual events popular with steampunk? Whitby - April; Lincoln - August, Eastbourne - September, the comic cons, etc.

I have seen lots of event threads but all the UK ones found so far are old and out of date.  The advantage of a map would be the ability to go to one place and see what is happening in an area.

I wish I could think of a good example of what I mean; but the closest I can think of is the user unfriendly  NGS site. With steampunk having a fraction of the number of NGS events it would work adequately enough
anya_elizabeth
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:57:27 pm »

At the moment I'm just sounding people out, just to see if this thing is even possible... I put my dear friend Hannah on the case, speaking to her musical contacts in the local area. So far she's had a chat with Miss Von Trapp and friends, who advised against an actual Halloween date, which is what people seem to be saying in survey responses  - no surprise really. No word on their availability other dates yet, but Hannah is a busy lady. She herself is very musically talented on a number of instruments, as is her boyfriend who offered his ragtime piano skills... but I'm not really expecting a venue with a piano! Would be excellent, however. They both have bands, but nothing on-theme, although her boyfriend plays in my favourite live band at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nCSN9Z7Dms

I'm going to be emailing the local burlesque schools this week to see if there is anyone interested, and I'll be sending messages to every artist who's been suggested to me and a few others, but especially those that I can get a direct line to.

This is a pretty much zero-budget event (with the possible exception of venue, but I'm still going to beg for cheap rates and if it all falls through I have a free hire venue in mind) and artists will be paid in tea and biscuits (or something stronger perhaps). So I expect only those who are available, interested in the event themselves and feeling VERY generous when I ask will say yes.

Also on the agenda: Tea Duelling, photograph booth, a raffle, close-up magic and potentially 2-3 stalls.

Henrietta Devereaux: sounds like a nice idea. I bet someone's already written the code for something like that somewhere, it's just a case of finding it and finding someone who'd like to host it!
anya_elizabeth
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 10:32:19 pm »

Hi, cheers for the replies,  just wanted to say that I found another venue (Devonport Guildhall have acoustic problems with drum sets, sadly) and a few artists booked, and have myself an event! I'm still looking for some acts, of any kind, as there's two floors to the new venue. It's much bigger than I was intending, but since everything's going great so far I think more ambitious is better!

Here's the facebook page, anyway: https://www.facebook.com/events/686881294776141/

Thanks again, and do tell anyone in the area!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: