The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 19, 2021, 12:20:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING: Keep your workshop clean  (Read 1350 times)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« on: May 08, 2015, 07:48:54 am »

Hi folks,

there is an interesting article on pages 24 and 25 of this newsletter:

http://www.lsme.uk.com/uploads/8/5/0/1/8501607/020_buffer_stop_december__2014_ws_small.pdf

Even if this is highly unlikely to happen, let us all take care.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:07:19 am »

Oh, interesting. Noted Shocked

---

Along similar lines of unusual shop safety tips, I've been told never to stand in front of the adjusting handle* on oxy-acetylene regulators when they're being pressurized (i.e. when the cylinder is being opened) because in extremely rare cases the handle can blow off the regulator, and they've been known to go straight through multiple building walls when this happens.

It's probably even more unlikely to happen than accidentally making thermite with a grinder, but might be good to bear in mind if you're working with old equipment.

*Like the tee handle in the center in this image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:40:12 am »

I'm about to start a series of maintenance projects on my concertina, which may use aluminum in the valve levers (the things connected to the buttons that one sees on the ends of such instruments) and pivots; it depends on how old the instrument actually is, as to whether or not the levers are aluminum or some other alloy/metal. In one stage of the process, I'll be either sanding or grinding the levers and pivots to remove metal wear residues that accumulate during rapid operation of the levers (a very common occurrence in most styles of concertina music) if they are aluminum in content, so thanks for the heads up!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 10:14:35 am »

I would like to collect these safety tips/hints here.
No matter if it is a safety hint or a "do not do what I did".
Feel free to add your ideas/experiences.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:37:58 pm »

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses."  Norm Abrams.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:39:53 pm »

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses."  Norm Abrams.

And to say it a different way: there's a reason steampunks wear goggles.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 04:27:12 pm »

Every piece of metal in a welding shop or forge is hot. Hot metal and cool metal are indistinguishable to the eye, so assume it's hot before you pick it up.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:21:33 pm »

TAKE the damm chuck key OUT!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:14:48 pm »

^and if you have long hair, tie it up and back! Drills love to eat hair.....and skin.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:35:16 pm »

Assume every unknown wire as LIVE!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 12:01:35 am »

'ware fingers when using micro-cutting discs - doesn't take much for them to slip out of the groove - think I'm stuck with the scar!
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 11:45:35 am »

While on the subject of fingers. Don't use them to pull out stringy swarf when using a drill, lathe, or mill.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »

As I type Sir Len is reading the quarterly update from his Woodturning club. One of the members bought a large packet of fine wirewool which he opened and left on a large slice of dried sycamore.

A couple of days later he returned to his shed to be greeted by the smell of burning, a deep burn in his sycamore and burn marks on the shed cladding. The packet of wirewool was so hot he needed to use pliers to put it outside. He does not report the reason for this catastrophe I can only assume it was spontaneous combustion caused either by the internal heat inside the shed or the sun shining through a window onto the packet of wirewool. We will find out more in a couple of weeks.

The gentleman has spoken to the manufacturers of the wirewool who advise that it happens 2 or 3 times a year and the finer the grade of wirewool the greater the problem. We have googled it and the recommendation is storing it in an airtight container away from any heat source.

Keep safe everyone.

PS better known is the danger of letting wirewool near batteries. Remember to keep them away from each other.

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 04:21:11 pm »

On the subject of wirewool. yep, had a really nasty experience a few years ago, a bundle of wirewool, a passed flame and a big hole melted into a plastic bath  Sad

Wasn't the combination of wirewool, a timer and batteries used in incendiary devices in WW2?

Respect your router, I almost routed my face off once. Serious kick back from a blunt blade  Roll Eyes

henrietta Devereux
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 09:24:41 pm »

On the subject of wirewool. yep, had a really nasty experience a few years ago, a bundle of wirewool, a passed flame and a big hole melted into a plastic bath  Sad

Wasn't the combination of wirewool, a timer and batteries used in incendiary devices in WW2?

on the subject of incendiary devices be careful with gas cylinders. The explosion was 1/2 mile away and our house shook. Thought the neighbour had hit our house wall with his car. The sky was red. We could not get very close because of the heat and the emergency services would not go near in case one of the other cylinders went off. Got some very dramatic photographs from the other side of the explosion. http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/incoming/photos-tile-hill-shed-explosion-7822328
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »

and link to pics taken the morning after http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/video-photos-tile-hill-explosion-7824402

The allotment plot at the back of shed lost everything. The leaves were still on the trees and bushes. I drenched them with water but they still lost their leaves within the week and the trees a short time after. My plots are at the other end of the site.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:02 pm »

Please note that alloy co2 fire extinguishers that are exposed to corrosive atmosphere will also produce Aluminium oxide!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »

Keep an eye on the flame.

A momentary (a few seconds at most) lapse in concentration today resulted in a massive flash n ear piercing bang.

Turns out, whilst soldering, I passed the torch too close to the flexible hose and melted it.  Roll Eyes Tongue

STUPID!! been soldering for 30 years and I should know better!

Still alive to tell the tale, so, not so bad I suppose................. Just need a new hose  Roll Eyes
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »

If you are making bottle rockets from powdered ingredients, and you mix water with the powder to make a paste that can be packed into the cardboard tube, do not use a microwave oven to dry the powder.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:31 pm »

did you make a bomb by accident?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: