The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 09:18:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Assassin… Sidesaddle! Belt and Accessory Questions  (Read 1997 times)
classicassassin
Gunner
United States United States

« on: April 28, 2015, 04:27:08 am »

I am working on my very first real costume for an expo/demo for my Mountain Horse, Rain and I to do sidesaddle. I contemplated and finally decided to go with a mixture of a few of my favorite things - Assassin's Creed and Steampunk. I ended up blending the two because the typical assassin in AC wears pants, and I didn't just want to stick a skirt and call it done. I've been creating my character's persona, and it's been a blast!

I finally decided on the costume (I'll reveal it all when it gets here, I ordered nearly all of it now), which is a brown/brass corset, a white lace top, red AC sash, a warrior's belt, a black bustle and a brass colored skirt. Since my demo is in July, I decided to forgo the full cloak/coat and went with a hood/one shoulder cape in brown/red. I've ordered pouches for the back of my belt, an assassin's baldric to hold the weapons I can't bring at the demo (sad times!), assassin bracers (since I can't have weapons, decided to eliminate the hidden blade entirely), and skirt chasers. After I've replenished some funds, I'll then invest in some weapons.

I have a few questions, and I'm hoping I can get some help from you knowledgeable folks.

So here is the belt I have ordered:
http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/index.php?p=product&id=531

As you can see, it's a little wide for a skirt chaser to fit on. I am drawing a lot of influence from the AC Unity Nomads in the companion app, and I see a lot of them are layering belts and I want to do that, but I can't find something to fit it well. I figured it would go best underneath the bigger one, which will be layered over top the red sash. I'm running a little low on funds so it can't be a super expensive one. I'm just not sure what belt to get.

Also, I want to get a pocket watch, but I'm not sure why my character would want one so I'm trying to decide if I will end up over accessorizing. I also love they have the pocket watch pouches that can hang from my belt, haha. What are your thoughts - pro pocket watch or not?

I'll post pictures soon, but in the meantime, here's my lovely mare who will be carrying me sidesaddle!

classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:44:26 am »

Also, I bought a pair of boots online:

but as I am going to be riding my horse I'm beginning to wonder if I would be smarter to buy a pair of paddock boots and half chaps, such as these:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ariat-heritage-iii-lace-paddock-8510

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Treadstone-Leather-Half-Chaps-/141649540913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=440801717108&hash=item20faf87731

And I would end up adding leather straps and buckles to the half chaps to be able to make it a bit more "steampunk". It will mostly be covered by my skirt when I'm riding but not when I'm walking around.

Would that look too bad? I was reading a thread asking about zippers on the insides of boots, but these would be on the outside, a little more visible. I am planning on learning how to rivet so I can add the buckles, so maybe I could rivet a layer of leather over the top? I just need to be able to get it on and off, haha.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:47:47 am by classicassassin » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:13 pm »

I only rode as a child but I'm still passing on a few notes from both a costuming and riding point of view.

1) I thought Victorian riding skirts were worn over trousers (Jodhpurs?) but either way practice all your moves in costume before the demonstration.
2) Brand new boots may not be best for a demonstration. Gaiters or spats over something comfortable can be steampunk and stylish.
3) You may be required to wear a riding hat at some events so figure out what looks best when you have to do that. 
4) As you'll see from both the dressing up and pin up threads a great deal of style is in how you carry yourself.
5) Wearing a thin leather waist belt above the warrior hip belt in matching leather can look good and provide more places to hang things.
6) If you want a pocket watch you can add it to your outfit.  I've also seen watches inset in a wrist bracer with their own leather cover.  Other possibilities are an old fashioned nurses watch or a watch on a pendant.
classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

1. I will be wearing a pair of breeches underneath my skirt Smiley Right now I am down and out due to a surgery on my knee (got kicked by a horse), but I will spend plenty of time desensitizing her and practicing for the expo.

2. I have time to break in boots as well (the expo is in July), but that's why I was considering a pair of paddock boots and half chaps - those things pretty well come broken in. Tall boots are a bit more difficult to break in but I have several months.

3. I've already checked, no helmet required here. I school my horse in one but I won't be doing the expo in one. Smiley

4. That is very true!

5. Awesome, I think so too. I'll go with that belt from the company I bought my warrior belt from so it will match.

6. Haha very true. Smiley

ETA: Is there a way to make the boots look like they are lace up without actually doing it? Perhaps adding strips of leather that they are laced up with? I think it would look better that way.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:23:41 am by classicassassin » Logged
classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:12:48 pm »

Got the first parts of my outfit today - my boots and a pair of gloves! I ended up going with riding gloves because they are a) durable and b) able to be used outside of my outfit. Gotta love eBay.

Also, thought I'd show my next project I will be modifying to be a steampunk horseman!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:37:02 am by classicassassin » Logged
classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36:00 pm »

Got my first corset of the three I ordered, an under bust corset. I'm sitting here seasoning it and it's really supportive. I can't imagine how it feels when I get it laced completely.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »

You said "I'm trying to decide if I will end up over accessorizing"

Never hesitate - you cannot be over-accesssorised if you are a steampunk.  The more 'stuff' the better.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 01:54:23 am »

You said "I'm trying to decide if I will end up over accessorizing"

Never hesitate - you cannot be over-accesssorised if you are a steampunk.  The more 'stuff' the better.

Well said, madam.  In the words of one of the 'parents' of steampunk in my part of the world: 'Too much is just about enough.'

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:28:37 am »

Laces or buttons can be done as a panel that covers a different fastening but I've never done it with leather and so cannot advise on method.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:36:38 pm »

If you want to do it without stitching barge cement is your friend.  It may be smelly but I had a friend make a phone case with the stuff and it has lasted almost two years now.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 05:22:15 am »

Thank you all for the suggestions and assurance I cannot over accessorize! I got most of it in and tried it on, I need to get a photo up. There are other things I'd love to do but I just can't afford to, lol. After some thought, I decided not to accessorize the boots because I worry about scratching up my friend's sidesaddle. It has buckles at the top so I figure it will work well enough.

The only things left are the one shouldered cap my friend's MIL is making me, and my bridle. I'm super excited.
classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 12:34:41 am »

Alright so I have a new problem. I ordered a baldric, as it is in some of the character costumes and I love it, except in the back instead of attaching all the way around there are just two buckles to hold a sword scabbard or the like. So now I'm stuck. I cannot have any type of weapon at this demo, fake or otherwise - but I really want to use this piece of equipment! The company suggested a dowel rod but that just sounds like a spectacular way to break my back if something were to fall as the dowel would have to be fairly thick to stay. So I was contemplating buying the round foam insulators, putting a thin breakable dowel rod in the middle to retain shape but still break if I were to fall without breaking my spine, and then perhaps putting pleather over it or the like? I've just never dealt with any modification of any type of leather.

Unless you guys have some other good ideas that would fit?
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 02:15:02 am »

so you want a fake safe scabbard without a blade In it? the hard Styrofoam board they use to insulate walls is easily cut and shaped to a basic scabbard shape and then you can cover it with aluminum duct tape to make it slightly more ridged and dent resistant and it still will be almost weightless and fold easily if you should tumble. build in the handgrip and guard to keep it from slipping thru whatever you buckle to the baldric.

if you can't have even that, then use the baldric to buckle to the side of a waistbelt, making it a sort of sam browne belt. take the shoulder strap off a small leather purse and use some cheap carabiners to hold the purse to the belt where the sword should go.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 10:28:51 pm »

if you do have to wear a brain bucket to some of the events, maybe make a bicorn cover out of craft foam so it looks period correct. it wouldn't even need the center part, just the brim with the front and rear fused together to slip over the helmet.
classicassassin
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 03:31:59 am »

I had someone suggest that I make a map case, so that's I think I'm going to end up doing. Unfortunately I can't even make it look like a sword - no fake weapons. So I got some pleather, I'm going to take a cardboard tube and cover it, then add leather straps with buckles and bought a rivet kit to make it look steam-punkish.

Good idea if I need a brain bucket! I will warm up in one, but for the performance I won't need one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: