The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 27, 2021, 04:08:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Song Question for the Mature Listener ??? 80s number??  (Read 15767 times)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 07:45:55 pm »

that they  wont  play on the radio.

Why on Earth not?

It was  to do with the controversy surrounding the lyrical  subject matter  of the bombing of Hiroshima and the US bomber the  "Enola Gay "  involved in the bombing and the general protest  nature of the song. It offended  the delicate  sensibilities  of the powers that be.

Nuclear weapons and nuclear ships  were a political hot potato here and in the US  at the time the song was released. We were having a general election around that time with big policy debate around  nuclear armaments, testing in the Pacific  and the US alliances.   The US did not want reminders of the harm it was doing in the Pacific and had done in Japan.  The song disappeared from the air waves.

New Zealand banned  US warships from  our ports and  protested US/ French nuclear tests in the Pacific.  The  Green peace  ship Rainbow Warrior was blown up here  by French espionage agents . 2 generations on  it is still  a searing memory and an explosive  political  debate

There's certainly no such qualms about it over here.

Even saw an old clip of them doing it on Top of the Pops on BBC4 the other week.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:32 pm »

The The - This Is The Day maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nonGWDxcJNA

Bingo!!!!

We can all  get on with the rest of our lives !!

You have saved us all from the mental anguish  and psychological  purgatory of   mis quoted lyrics and well buried obscure songs  from the 80s
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:19 pm »

that they  wont  play on the radio.

Why on Earth not?

It was  to do with the controversy surrounding the lyrical  subject matter  of the bombing of Hiroshima and the US bomber the  "Enola Gay "  involved in the bombing and the general protest  nature of the song. It offended  the delicate  sensibilities  of the powers that be.

Nuclear weapons and nuclear ships  were a political hot potato here and in the US  at the time the song was released. We were having a general election around that time with big policy debate around  nuclear armaments, testing in the Pacific  and the US alliances.   The US did not want reminders of the harm it was doing in the Pacific and had done in Japan.  The song disappeared from the air waves.

New Zealand banned  US warships from  our ports and  protested US/ French nuclear tests in the Pacific.  The  Green peace  ship Rainbow Warrior was blown up here  by French espionage agents . 2 generations on  it is still  a searing memory and an explosive  political  debate

There's certainly no such qualms about it over here.

Even saw an old clip of them doing it on Top of the Pops on BBC4 the other week.

This is a strange little country  that lives for conspiracy theories and  raging against the machine. Which may explain the expanding  popularity of the steampunk movement here.

and other vexatious online  activities  Wink
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 08:07:32 pm »

Bingo!!!!

You have saved us all from the mental anguish  and psychological  purgatory of   mis quoted lyrics and well buried obscure songs  from the 80s
Do I win a prize?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 08:13:46 pm »

Bingo!!!!

Do I win a prize?

The reward is the release from   the eternal inner torment of not knowing  what that  &%$#@! song was

-  and being secure  the knowledge that I wasn't  just making it  up  for the  sheer heck of messing with everyone's heads

*** and you  choose  whether to torture us  all with the next garbled hacked to near beyond recognition song lyric quest thread***
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 08:12:26 am »

Mwahahaha!

Here is your next riddle (3 songs, same band).

The singer is female, wears thick eye-liner and shadow, at one point in her career wore hair like mine  Grin is British and the band is all male (hope that narrows it down  Grin) and they played for a really long time since the late 70s - though occasionally play gigs in present day.  

Song 1: This slow song, also from the early 1980's is Post Punk. The song chorus repeatedly includes the words "Majestic, Imperial," features accordion, strings and drums. It's about a lover asking the other to stay. It is a beautiful song, actually.

Song 2:  Once it was simply described (and praised) as "1930s Hip Hop." It is heavily sampled (at a time when sampling was still not popular), features brass, accordion, a very heavy drum beat, and the lyrics talk about eyes (a common trope in the 1920s and 30s).  The singer actually used different microphones for each line in the song, giving it a "vintage" sound quality.

Song 3: If that is still too cryptic, for those people not from the 80's but more knowledgeable about the Gothy 1990s, the author also wrote another song for a popular -and very Gothic-themed movie in the early 1990s.
Hint:
* Suddenly a small dark figure dashes across the floor....  You hear "meaow," but you sense a much larger presence. Like you’re being observed from the roof *

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:46:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 08:48:45 am »

I think I got one.........

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Batman Returns ("Face to Face") ??

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Face to Face

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 09:16:41 am »

I think I got one.........

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Batman Returns ("Face to Face") ??

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Face to Face

You got one!  The rest should be easy then... I guess every one knows the reference to cats and Gothy movies... naturally Michelle Pfeiffer's Cat Woman in Batman Returns.

Don't let her play "Tic Tac Toe" on your face

*Meaow*

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:22:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 09:33:46 am »

So... which are the other two songs?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 11:37:51 am »

Mwahahaha!

The singer is female, wears thick eye-liner and shadow, at one point in her career wore hair like mine  Grin is British and the band is all male (hope that narrows it down  Grin) and they played for a really long time since the late 70s - though occasionally play gigs in present day.  

Song 1: This slow song, also from the early 1980's is Post Punk. The song chorus repeatedly includes the words "Majestic, Imperial," features accordion, strings and drums. It's about a lover asking the other to stay. It is a beautiful song, actually.

Song 2:  Once it was simply described (and praised) as "1930s Hip Hop." It is heavily sampled (at a time when sampling was still not popular), features brass, accordion, a very heavy drum beat, and the lyrics talk about eyes (a common trope in the 1920s and 30s).  The singer actually used different microphones for each line in the song, giving it a "vintage" sound quality.

Song 1 is The last beat of my heart; song 2 I think is  Peek-A-Boo. Actually i've been listening to Siouxsie a lot recently. One of my great regrets is not seeing them live; them along with Hawkwind (although I would doubt on the same bill...)

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:39:32 am by Miranda.T » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 01:21:57 pm »

I've always repected Siouxsie as a member of the original Bromley Contingent but never really liked the music.

Hawkwind , Ummmm.... seen them about 6 times I think, ozric tentacles anyone?
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

I've been a Banshees fan since 1977.
So here's an excuse to post my favourite....

Partys Fall - Siouxsie and the Banshees

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 05:03:11 pm »

Mwahahaha!

Song 1 is The last beat of my heart; song 2 I think is  Peek-A-Boo. Actually i've been listening to Siouxsie a lot recently. One of my great regrets is not seeing them live; them along with Hawkwind (although I would doubt on the same bill...)

Yours,
Miranda.

Correct and correct:

Siouxie and the Banshees
Absolutely fantastic group.  It's easy to not like some of the music, but if you hear their anthologies (Twice Upon a Time), you will be taken aback with how good and musically rich this group was.  A grade of 100+ on all categories in my opinion.

Peek a Boo
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Peek A Boo

Last Beat of my Heart
Siouxsie and the Banshees - The last beat of my heart Live

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2015, 05:04:28 am »

*Mod hat on*

Sorry for moving the topic, folks, but I felt that a 1980's pop-musical quiz thread, basically is not Steampunk in nature...

*Mod hat off*

Having said this and if you pardon the interruption, I have the next riddle for you:

This British (London) group, from the period between the late 70s and the mid 80s, wrote a song equating murder with learning the alphabet.  It is in fact a rather Jazzy tune.  Can you name the band and the song?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:09:07 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2015, 05:20:14 am »

*Mod hat on*

Sorry for moving the topic, folks, but I felt that a 1980's pop-musical quiz thread, basically is not Steampunk in nature...

*Mod hat off*

Having said this and if you pardon the interruption, I have the next riddle for you:

This British (London) group, from the period between the late 70s and the mid 80s, wrote a song equating murder with learning the alphabet.  It is in fact a rather Jazzy tune.  Can you name the band and the song?

I will have to put my thinking cap on !
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 05:23:02 am »

Look of Love.  ABC

Poison arrow?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:27:16 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 05:39:24 am »

Look of Love. ABC

Poison arrow?

EDIT: For reference on ABC's "Poison Arrow" see
Poison Arrow

Mnnnn!  Nope!  It is NOT ABC's Poison Arrow... ABC's "Look of Love" and "Poison Arrow" are not Jazzy enough (I mean Jazz in the literal sense of the word), and some letters of the alphabet are explicitly stated in the lyrics of the song I seek.  Also, the song I seek is not a reference to love betrayal nor a crime of passion...

Keep trying!  Grin  Wink
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:06:24 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 05:46:16 am »

Additional hints:

Hint 1.  Counting IS also involved in the lyrics, so counting and letters. Grin

EDIT:  Also, I should probably point out that the band I'm asking about is considerably more famous than ABC.  Even though a child of the 80s will know who ABC is (or recognize their music by ear at least - as was my case), this other band is known by many people outside of the 80s generation....  Their style of music was not Jazz, per se, more like an ethnic fusion of Rock, but one of the band members was very prone to writing Jazz, and after the band separated, he indeed recorded very Jazzy music by himself...

Hint 2: The meaning of the song according to the writer is actually a parabola of the manipulation of the lives of large numbers of people by those in power.  Lives are cheap and you don't even need a weapon to kill - you just need to be learned.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:18:39 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2015, 06:30:52 am »

Olivers army

Elvis Costello and the Attractions

Elvis Costello ~ Oliver's Army
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:33:05 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 06:45:02 am »

Nice try, dear Miss Annie! Very interesting answer and I had never paid attention to the lyrics of "Oliver's Army."

Unfortunately, no cigar!  Although he is s Brit, Elvis Costello is more on the American Rock n' Roll side of things (hence his stage name), and seldom comes into the "ethnic fusion rock" arena, though he is one of those singer-composers who transcend the musical genre of their time.

Equally transcendent is the writer of the song I seek, but I must re-iterate his ethnic rock fusion and Jazz roots. This mystery writer-singer also has delved into mediaeval music.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2015, 06:47:56 am »

I must say that this is an interesting thread.  You get to re-live the music, reminisce, and find meaning in the lyrics to which you barely paid attention during your youth!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2015, 07:29:29 am »

It is good to get the memory jolted  and look at a few  songs in a new light

There  was a strong under current of political protest when you look back and take another listen

All the ethnic   based  murder / totalitarian dystopia  songs I can think of are Irish. Maybe its  a cultural thing
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2015, 07:57:20 am »

Indeed. I remember the news....

As for our mystery song, I'll throw this 3rd hint and it's also a question up for bonus points:

The mystery band also wrote a song based on a 1970s post apocalyptic movie...  Grin
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2015, 04:47:32 pm »

The mystery band also wrote a song based on a 1970s post apocalyptic movie...  Grin
That doesn't really narrow it down much... Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »

The mystery band also wrote a song based on a 1970s post apocalyptic movie...  Grin
That doesn't really narrow it down much... Tongue

That 1971 movie was re-made in 2007, under a different title - a somewhat self-serving title, because the 2007 movie star is a very pompous person. Remember, it's post-apocalyptic and the plot happens on the real planet Earth.  The main actor was playing leading roles in other sci-fi movies during the 70s
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:24:08 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: