The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 11:26:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedition to the Plateau - The lost world exploration case  (Read 12891 times)
cthulhu_spawn
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:46:28 pm »

www.manydeadthings.tk

July 1912; an expedition to the heart of the Amazon rainforest was arranged by Professor Challenger,  a brash gentlemen who wished to bring back proof that somewhere, amidst the dense jungle undergrowth - was a land mass, a plateau at least 30 kilometres across, populated by the remnants of a long lost species - The dinosaur. He had been there once before, and would not return until he had proven his discovery.
He embarked on this quest with a few companions, amongst which were noted adventurer John Roxton, professor Summerlee and a news reporter by the name of Ed Malone.
The group ascended the steap cliff face, and low and behold - an oasis in time, a land able support an abundance of prehistoric life.
The group managed to survive the ordeal, bringing back plentiful proof of their discovery. much of this was lost in beaurocracy and red tape. until further investigations were carried out on the plateau.
Scientific understanding of that time did not allow a detailed explanation of this bizarre anomaly, until later, once the plateau had been protected and quarantined - could sense be made of this place.
A transient wormhole - a hole in time space sits to the west of the island. opening for days on end, allowing sporadic migrations of species from five or six different time zones. The animals either flourished or died on this plateau, as fodder for the large predators or through disease. This anomaly allowed a very fragile equilibrium to exist on the plateau.

Discovered in 1951 in the attic space of a london townhouse was the remains of Challengers initial ascent to the plateau. He had already surmised that Summerlee's hypothesis of the plateau was incorrect, as the dinosaurs surely could not have survived the catastrophe that ended their reign over the earth.He hinted at time travel in his notes, although his theories are typical of the time. Many of the dinosaurs found on the plateau displayed feathers, and he was the first to prove that dinosaurs would eventually evolve into birds.

Contained within the box, however, is plentiful proof that the plateau does indeed exist, although since the early 1900's, no one has been able to locate it.

The taxidermied corpse of an infant bipedal carnivore, now identified as the species "deinonychus"
the creature displays a downy covering of "proto feathers" - dinosaurs being the precursor to modern birds

a large piece of the egg shell which was found with this specimen

The wing of an infant Pteranodon. preserved and displayed/labelled in the lid of the box

the partial skull fragment of a further "avian dinosaur" and two small legs bones

six flora samples of various vegatation taken from the plateau - mushrooms, moss, algae etc

two glass specimen presses, displaying and preserving various prehistoric fern samples

detailed maps of the plateau

a leather bound journal, filled with notes and sketches of flora and fauna from the plateau. also the notes pertaining to the nature of the plateau itself

a small diary, with lengthy notes on days spent on the island. contains diagrams and drawings

sketches of a mother allosaur and her infant

a knife in a leather sheath, an ink pen, scissors, a lighter, matches, needle and thread

a small tin box containing the teeth of a juvenile triceratops

a unique hand held microscope with two lenses.

a multitude of photographs of the fauna of the island - group shots with triceratops herd, stegosaur, deinonychus, hadrosaurs etc

and much more, contained within this beautiful old box, with unique layout of compartments and detailing.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:53:38 pm by Alexcf » Logged
Angel
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 01:47:52 pm »

The whole thing looks fantastic! Great job.

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
absinthetic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 01:57:25 pm »

Inspirational!
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 03:07:39 pm »

Dear Alexcf,

Wonderful, as always.

Vienna
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:31:43 pm »

Magic. Faultless detailing. Still waiting for a Dragon based one though....

Wink

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
Nevernaut
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 03:33:23 pm »

Wow.  Sir, you are a wizard!

Everything I hoped to see and more!
Silly Sully Sullivan
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 03:46:28 pm »

very nice! your attention to detail is amazing  Smiley
Bobby_Brazil
Gunner
Brazil Brazil

steamed up

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:59:23 pm »

very nice i wonder about the experiments that you don't show us

Listen for the unsaid, while believing the unseen
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 04:22:14 pm »

very nice! your attention to detail is amazing  Smiley
or anally retentive  Tongue
aintMichael
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:39:29 pm »

That's quite a collection of oddities, well done.
Villainous
Officer

Chivalry isn't dead... It's sexy.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 06:38:50 pm »

I'm curious about the photographs in this piece. seing how much detail you put into everything I imagine that they are on a photopaper or at least something close enough. How were the images made? photos you took yourself? photoshop? combination (obviously the dino pictures are either models or photoshopped... unless your pieces are more real than you claim...)

NEW STORES!! NEW DESIGNS!!

Shop One
Shop Two
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 07:17:14 pm »

awesome work.
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 10:17:49 pm »

I'm curious about the photographs in this piece. seing how much detail you put into everything I imagine that they are on a photopaper or at least something close enough. How were the images made? photos you took yourself? photoshop? combination (obviously the dino pictures are either models or photoshopped... unless your pieces are more real than you claim...)

i have a time machine x
daeudi_454
Officer

Ipsa Tempus Potestas Est

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:35:56 pm »

Incredible work, as always. No one here can dispute that you are an artist.
That said....

Quote from: Tactile Posting Guidelines
Tactile is for the discussion of anything the forum members themselves are making, consider making, wonder how they would make and has made of Steampunk projects in the past, present and future, including obvious extensions like relevant tools, howto's and techniques.

I understand your desire to kepp a market for your wares. But given your reticence to share the knowledge of any technique... Your posts may meet the letter of the law, but not the spirit of it.  Undecided

Also....

A post containing a link to an eBay auction or a similar trading site should probably go into Trading, since those links are very temporary in nature, thus having no lasting value. If people want to discuss the making of an object for sale on eBay, they should put sufficient detail into their post here in Tactile to ensure future relevance when the eBay auction is deleted.

All things considered, it would render completely obsolete the above point if you were to save your ebay links for the correct forum within these boards.
EDIT: Particularly considering that you primary post is an exact copy of your Ebay advertisement, it seems to render that post to also be an ad.

Just an observation.  Grin
================

And again, while we may have ... philosophical contentions, I am consistently amazed by your handiwork. Bravo.
 Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:42:26 pm by daeudi_454 » Logged

"Time hasn't stopped for any troubles, heartaches, or any other malfunctions of this world, so please don't tell me it will stop for you." - C.S. Lewis
"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." - C.S. Lewis
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:53:18 pm »

the link has been removed. i hope this meets with your requirements
zircher
Officer

Have gun, will travel.

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 12:08:32 am »

[Looks for stolen thunder.] Uh, yeah.  What he said.  Cheesy

Still, brilliant stuff.  I wish I had the mad money to invest it or commision Alex to create one.
--
TAZ
Ramiel
Officer

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 01:56:43 am »

This is one of the best work you have done (maybe because I loved "the lost World" Grin)

Great as always...

(one nitpick: the black wing on the box, looks a little less realistic than the other props, but this is a minor crit... Wink)

You can see my art HERE
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 02:07:20 am »

My favorite part is the glass specimen presses with the ferns.  Are these constructed or are they found materials?

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
Darth Saber
Officer

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 06:09:53 am »

I case you're interested, there's a show on HD Discovery right now on an expedition to the Lost World plateau. Several explorers including a cryptozoologists are trekking to the plateau in the hopes of finding new species. Also includes several excerpts from Doyle's story and ducomentations from past victorian era expeditions.

In case you miss the show, keep checking the guides, they show repeats regularly.

DS
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 08:41:47 am »

This is one of the best work you have done (maybe because I loved "the lost World" Grin)

Great as always...

(one nitpick: the black wing on the box, looks a little less realistic than the other props, but this is a minor crit... Wink)

i actually really like the wing. i spent ages on texture. oh well, cant please everyone!
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 10:14:22 am »

Heh, whenever there's a thread started by you mate, I know i won't be dissapointed.

-Sam.
New Zealand New Zealand

Gatherer of Misguided Inventions

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 10:26:59 am »

Those ferns look almost exactly like the ones I have growing not two meters behind me, outside my front door. I thought that you didn't have a time machine, you are a time machine? And as a final nitpick, it's "lo and behold" not "low and behold". Because every post I make has to sound snide and sarcastic ;P

Commander C. Obadiah

Post Script: Oh, and splendid work, too.

The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

The skull behind the skin.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 03:02:06 pm »

Everytime I post I'm lost for a way to say how awesome you are.  Seriously, so damn good!  This is why you can't give up and get a 'normal' job.
Incredible work, as always. No one here can dispute that you are an artist.
That said....

Tactile is for the discussion of anything the forum members themselves are making, consider making, wonder how they would make and has made of Steampunk projects in the past, present and future, including obvious extensions like relevant tools, howto's and techniques.

I understand your desire to kepp a market for your wares. But given your reticence to share the knowledge of any technique... Your posts may meet the letter of the law, but not the spirit of it.  Undecided

Actually, I've seen Alex give out more than a few tips in his time.  And given that he's always happy to discuss pieces, take onboard suggestions etc. I'd say he preserves the spirit fine. 
Commissar Swoosh
Officer

Inventor of the Mechanical Cheese Wheel

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 11:38:34 pm »

Alex helps with tips and such on other's products but doesn't really dissect his own work. If he tells us the dinosaur is made of sculpy and dog hair all we will see is sculpy and dog hair that look slightly like a dinosaur, but if he keeps it to himself we see an excellent dinosaur specimen. Illusions are never good when you know how they're done.

That being said... I love the dinosaur, I can't stop looking at it. It turned out great! Too bad you sell all of these kits. I would pay to go see a room full of these things.

If God thought The Doors were better than Cream, Jim Morrison would be able to defend his band today. Either this disproves God, or proves Clapton is the real god.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 12:59:02 am »

Alex helps with tips and such on other's products but doesn't really dissect his own work. If he tells us the dinosaur is made of sculpy and dog hair all we will see is sculpy and dog hair that look slightly like a dinosaur, but if he keeps it to himself we see an excellent dinosaur specimen. Illusions are never good when you know how they're done.

Indeed, the suspension of disbelief is key. I find the journal and diary particularly significant, as they tie the parts together. Are you familar with the illustrated diaries of Peter Beard?

The whole is indeed greater than the sum of its parts.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: