The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 20, 2019, 09:34:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Houdini and Conan Doyle will be solving supernatural mysteries  (Read 1063 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« on: March 20, 2015, 05:15:15 pm »

A tv-series will be made, featuring the two friends Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle solving supernatural mysteries. In life, Houdini was known for exposing mediums and other such people as frauds. Whereas Doyle went a bit off the deep end, after the death of his son. So likely Houdini will be the "Bah humbug" character, in contrast to Doyle.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/houdini-and-doyle-series-fox-itv-shaw-media-1201394425/

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:25:31 am »

A new idea for television; I think that this has been done at least a couple of times in print.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:41:04 am »

You've had The Five Fists of Science and such stories. Edison was of course the hero of several stories.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 03:20:57 pm »

We've just had the mildly diverting 'Arthur And George' in the U.K.
 Martin Clunes as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in a fictional retelling of the real life case of the  'Great Wyrley Outrages.'
 And there's talk of it getting a full series.

And there was 'The Strange Case of Sherlock Holmes & Arthur Conan Doyle' starring Douglas Henshall back in 2005.

Both Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (several times) have appeared in episodes helping the detective in 'Murdoch Mysteries'.

And they have appeared together in at least one novel, 'Sir Arthur Conan Doyle & Harry Houdini in The Adventure of the Spook House' by C. Michael Forsyth.

But I think this is the first time the two have been paired on television.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:08:20 pm »

There is also this:

In which the gas-lamp-era Batman teams up with Harry Houdini. More details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman/Houdini:_The_Devil's_Workshop
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:09:48 pm »

I believe the premiere is tonight on Fox.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:55:18 pm »

I've seen two episodes of the show so far. I have to say that it could have been better. I watch shows like Sherlock, House, Limitless, etc, and the two leads from Houdini and Doyle so far have not appealed to me in that way.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 05:01:39 pm »

Finally saw it.

It has Canadian producers and lead actress and comes from same production company as Murdoch Mysteries.

But none of the style. I wasn't impressed.
Asphalt
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 01:56:58 am »

I think it has potential.  But if you want my honest reaction, it really feels like the X-files set in a different era.  Doyle is Mulder, Houdini is Scully.  I will continue watching if my DVR would record the things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: