The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 10:03:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dive Bars ; Older & Seedier the Better : Where are the best ones ??  (Read 4743 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: December 25, 2014, 10:56:53 pm »

To  those in the older more established colonies and countries  : Show me your best  [ or worst] Dive Bars.

New Zealand being a younger country  and one born out of the missionary   ethos and temperance ethic,  doesn't have a long cultural  history of neighborhood pubs of character. Most of them have been closed or burned down.

So I need to look at yours for some inspiration

There are some with character remaining ion the outside

But not on the inside.

These ones from abroad look  far more interesting.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:59:34 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
selectedgrub
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »

Jez I've been in some scody dumps.
A place called "The Palace" somewhere in Mississippi you could buy guns and ammo over the counter.
The toilets were wallpapered in mens magazines.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 12:25:39 am »

Jez I've been in some scody dumps.
A place called "The Palace" somewhere in Mississippi you could buy guns and ammo over the counter.
The toilets were wallpapered in mens magazines.

{ are you sure that wasn't the Apia Way}

Seriously , yes traveling  via the google express way, New Orleans , Mississippi  and Brooklyn have the more "atmospheric" drinking dens
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:42:55 am »

This is where we met your Mama  Wink

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:17:02 am »

I don’t know whether I should be chuffed, ashamed or angry, reading how Kiwis rate our "seedy" American pubs...  Mississipi... they may have some redneck pubs, but the definition of a dive bar is a catch-all definition... what is it, a local neighbourhood pub (as opposed to what else? lower class? upper class? migrant bar?  Wild West Saloon?)?

But if you are in the market for questionable pubs, you will not find a greater density of grungy scruffy and downright dangerous pubs than in the 6th Street area of Austin - which also happens to be the same exact area for some very expensive and hip clubs restaurants and hotels and home for the longest, prestigious and most (if not the most) famous live music, indie-film, tech and gaming annual festivals in North America: South by Southwest, plus the smaller Austin City Limits.

Kinky? Name your poison: Burlesque (Jigglewatts), Go-Go dancers, a couple of "Lingerie Modeling and massage spots (aka peep shows/thinly disguised prostitution), with all manner of Blues bands who look they just stepped off the (cargo) train, a Victor/Victoria-like cross-gender act (Jade/Esteban Estrada), a place called "The Dirty Dog Bar," and "Deep Eddy Cabaret," and a plethora of subculture pubs like the LGBQT friendly "Elysium" (whose "bathrooms" sadly would be better described as "latrines"), Punk spots like Mowhawk and Red Eyed Fly, and a place to buy all your illicit drug smoking glassware accessories, "The Gas Pipe" (for artistic entertainment purposes only - or so they say), and oh, yes, the original Coyote Ugly Saloon (from which the movie of the same name was inspired)...

All of the above intertwined in a space less than 7X7 street blocks with historical places (Stubb's BBQ, Scholz Beer Garden, Threadgill's), more regular pubs (BD Riley's Irish Pub), penthouse electronica lounges (Lanai),  expensive hipster family restaurants (PF Chang's, Eddie V's, Z Tejas), Retro-themed locales (The Depot swing /big band dance hall, The Gatsby 1920s speakeasy,  ) ultra expensive locales like restaurants (Barcelona) and five-star hotels (The Driskill Hotel).  And all about 10 blocks south from The University of Texas at Austin.

Austin is just like a Texan version of the 1920s Weimar-Era Berlin underground scene, including all the wealthy people who go there too. Just to show you that social seedy pubs, sex-craved and drunken college students, techie nerds and hipsters combine well together with alcohol. During South By Southwest music executives, tech executives, film executives and independent film actors pay $1500 per pass, to get into the area's annual SXSW festival... I leave you to research all the names only. because it'd take too many pages to show you all the photos...

Google Map (zoomed and labelled -keep zooming in and you'll see how many more there are!)
https://www.google.com/maps/search/austin+bars+and+restaurants/@30.2661357,-97.7410418,17z
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:58:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 09:47:16 pm »

I don’t know whether I should be chuffed, ashamed or angry, reading how Kiwis rate our "seedy" American pubs...  Mississipi... they may have some redneck pubs, but the definition of a dive bar is a catch-all definition... what is it, a local neighbourhood pub (as opposed to what else? lower class? upper class? migrant bar?  Wild West Saloon?)?

But if you are in the market for questionable pubs, you will not find a greater density of grungy scruffy and downright dangerous pubs than in the 6th Street area of Austin - which also happens to be the same exact area for some very expensive and hip clubs restaurants and hotels and home for the longest, prestigious and most (if not the most) famous live music, indie-film, tech and gaming annual festivals in North America: South by Southwest, plus the smaller Austin City Limits.

Kinky? Name your poison: Burlesque (Jigglewatts), Go-Go dancers, a couple of "Lingerie Modeling and massage spots (aka peep shows/thinly disguised prostitution), with all manner of Blues bands who look they just stepped off the (cargo) train, a Victor/Victoria-like cross-gender act (Jade/Esteban Estrada), a place called "The Dirty Dog Bar," and "Deep Eddy Cabaret," and a plethora of subculture pubs like the LGBQT friendly "Elysium" (whose "bathrooms" sadly would be better described as "latrines"), Punk spots like Mowhawk and Red Eyed Fly, and a place to buy all your illicit drug smoking glassware accessories, "The Gas Pipe" (for artistic entertainment purposes only - or so they say), and oh, yes, the original Coyote Ugly Saloon (from which the movie of the same name was inspired)...

All of the above intertwined in a space less than 7X7 street blocks with historical places (Stubb's BBQ, Scholz Beer Garden, Threadgill's), more regular pubs (BD Riley's Irish Pub), penthouse electronica lounges (Lanai),  expensive hipster family restaurants (PF Chang's, Eddie V's, Z Tejas), Retro-themed locales (The Depot swing /big band dance hall, The Gatsby 1920s speakeasy,  ) ultra expensive locales like restaurants (Barcelona) and five-star hotels (The Driskill Hotel).  And all about 10 blocks south from The University of Texas at Austin.

Austin is just like a Texan version of the 1920s Weimar-Era Berlin underground scene, including all the wealthy people who go there too. Just to show you that social seedy pubs, sex-craved and drunken college students, techie nerds and hipsters combine well together with alcohol. During South By Southwest music executives, tech executives, film executives and independent film actors pay $1500 per pass, to get into the area's annual SXSW festival... I leave you to research all the names only. because it'd take too many pages to show you all the photos...

Google Map (zoomed and labelled -keep zooming in and you'll see how many more there are!)
https://www.google.com/maps/search/austin+bars+and+restaurants/@30.2661357,-97.7410418,17z

Thank you for sharing  your more colourful establishments with their "patina and ambiance" that lends "character and atmosphere"  to the social experience   in your neighbourhood. Be Proud.

The meander down your streets  was inspiring .  Your hotels and stores are more cool than ours. The Red Eyed fly was an interesting little building. But the best is Don's Depot, it is a swell place for a jitterbug.

If it was good enough for Janis Joplin - Its good enough for me.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 12:18:02 am »

Heinold's First and Last Chance Saloon in Oakland, on the waterfront (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinold%27s_First_and_Last_Chance_Saloon)
Not exactly a dive, but definitely an odd local place with some history, at least by California standards. We spent a cold, foggy morning drinking Irish coffees there twenty years ago, and yeah, I don't think there's a right angle anywhere in the building, even before the booze kicks in.
Not so much seedy as funky: the Telegraph Beer Garden, also in Oakland. The Uptown, a few blocks away is also pleasantly weird.
And of course, the old Zeitgeist, in San Francisco, in an area rapidly disappearing under yuppie bro-dude-ification. And if you can hijack a time-machine, or have access to a vortex manipulator, I would recommend the long-gone Nightbreak on Haight, or Underground at Lipps, which were also in San Francisco.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 02:42:45 am »

Heinold's First and Last Chance Saloon in Oakland, on the waterfront (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinold%27s_First_and_Last_Chance_Saloon)
Not exactly a dive, but definitely an odd local place with some history, at least by California standards. We spent a cold, foggy morning drinking Irish coffees there twenty years ago, and yeah, I don't think there's a right angle anywhere in the building, even before the booze kicks in.
Not so much seedy as funky: the Telegraph Beer Garden, also in Oakland. The Uptown, a few blocks away is also pleasantly weird.
And of course, the old Zeitgeist, in San Francisco, in an area rapidly disappearing under yuppie bro-dude-ification. And if you can hijack a time-machine, or have access to a vortex manipulator, I would recommend the long-gone Nightbreak on Haight, or Underground at Lipps, which were also in San Francisco.
''

That saloon was inspiring.  The Zeigeist dare I say it , with its "garden Bar" caught the modern out law renegade zeitgeist  nearly as much  as the saloon retained its former glory days  spirit.

It is sad when somebody comes along and  "cleans up" these places for re  gentrification.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 05:30:40 am »

http://www.saloon10.com/

Where Wild Bill was assassinated.

-Karl
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:37:31 am »

The current incarnation of Juneau's Gold Rush era saloon:  http://www.reddogsaloon.com/

Supposedly visited by Wyatt Earp who accidentally left his revolver in town when he misread the departure time on his steamer ticket. 

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 05:41:48 am »

So much history in those walls.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 08:08:27 am »

Then I discovered they have Ruin Pubs in  Hungary

http://visitbudapest.travel/articles/ruin-pubs-a-budapest-specialty/

http://welovebudapest.com/clubs.and.nightlife.1/the.best.ruin.pubs.in.budapest.2014.edition

http://tour-monde.fr/les-ruin-pubs-de-budapest-meilleurs-bars-du-monde-ou-legende-urbaine/

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 09:29:13 am »

So, You Want Nasty Dive Bars?

Denver
715 Club, supposedly "the most dangerous bar in Denver"
"I know an old black woman who tended bar here for many years. She walks with a slight limp
because she once fell off of a table when she was dancing on it. She also claims to have killed
a woman outside once. Police are still called frequently, I hear. "
------------------
Albuquerque
City cracking down on downtown ( Nob Hill) bars
Brawls, stabbings, shooting; in last five weeks
Published : Tuesday, 07 Feb 2012, 9:02 AM MST

A man was shot inside Graham Central Station bar this past weekend, a club with a rap sheet 10 years long.
The shooting comes a year after another of the bar’s patrons was found dead inside the club, apparently killed during a scuffle with a bouncer

--------------
A Greeley Colorado Sports Bar had its liquor license suspended after an incident in which 2 people were stabbed and a gun was fired on Thursday, May 16th. The Roadkill Sports Grill in Greeley lost its liquor license for 15 days after rival gang members from the Hells Angels, Sons of Silence, and Silent Warriors were involved in a large fight.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Roadkill+Sports+Grill/@40.3891418,-104.7148115,3a,75y,254h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6gbNklVhSCAPiaZcrXBBvg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x1b6674e918109f5b!6m1!1e1

---------------
Jim & I's Star Bar
A grenade-carrying man shot up a Colorado Springs, CO motorcycle bar in the fatal 1993 spree.
Eugene Baylis was accused of killing two people and wounding two others in the shooting at Jim & I's Star Bar on April 17, 1993. He faced 18 charges, including first-degree murder.
--------------

tough enough for ya?

I knew a few dive bars on the warfs in San Francisco and San Diego, but they are long gone, raized in favor of cafe's and coffe houses.... fortunately I never happened to get involved in any altercations. perhaps it is my saintly demeanor....

yhs
Prof (Zimbabwe Rotation Impact Crusher) Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »

*snip*

I knew a few dive bars on the warfs in San Francisco and San Diego, but they are long gone, raized in favor of cafe's and coffe houses.... fortunately I never happened to get involved in any altercations. perhaps it is my saintly demeanor....

yhs

*snip*
 Thank you for sharing  your more colourful establishments with their "patina and ambiance" that lends "character and atmosphere"  to the social experience   in your neighbourhood. Be Proud.

The meander down your streets  was inspiring .  Your hotels and stores are more cool than ours. The Red Eyed fly was an interesting little building. But the best is Don's Depot, it is a swell place for a jitterbug.

On the other hand, might we not want to list the pubs/bars from which you actually can come out alive?  I mean yeah, seedy has character, but that's not necessarily where you want to go.  I never went into one of those "massage" places, not even the Dirty Dog Saloon (or the "Poodle Lounge" further north XD ), but have been plenty of times to Red Eye Fly, Elysium, BD Riley's and Don's Depot (actually when I was learning to dance the Jitterbug and Swing - they are known for their big band music too).  Even a death-metal pizza place named "Höek's" (yes of Ren and Stimpy fame), who gives your Antipoedian "Hell's Pizza" a run for their money.

And our local university watering holes, just outside of campus, The Posse and The Posse East, are already dirty, grungy and seedy enough as they are -  and that's just students and college professors XD. I don't recommend the food in that place. XD

http://posse-east.com

I don't know how they even dare to call themselves a "grill." Maybe they're referring to the grill on their company car XD

If we were to allow food/beer places then I should mention Conan's Pizza, if you like eating the best deep dish pizza in town (The Barbarian) while sitting on rough wooden benches with all the walls plastered with Conan the Barbarian, related and other Tolkienesque comic book covers while listening to heavy metal music... 

http://conanspizza.com/

It satisfies my nerdy 1970s "inner Meatloaf" persona.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:41:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 10:13:26 pm »

Denver
715 Club, supposedly "the most dangerous bar in Denver"
"I know an old black woman who tended bar here for many years. She walks with a slight limp
because she once fell off of a table when she was dancing on it. She also claims to have killed
a woman outside once. Police are still called frequently, I hear. "
------------------
Albuquerque
City cracking down on downtown ( Nob Hill) bars
Brawls, stabbings, shooting; in last five weeks
Published : Tuesday, 07 Feb 2012, 9:02 AM MST

A man was shot inside Graham Central Station bar this past weekend, a club with a rap sheet 10 years long.
The shooting comes a year after another of the bar’s patrons was found dead inside the club, apparently killed during a scuffle with a bouncer

--------------
A Greeley Colorado Sports Bar had its liquor license suspended after an incident in which 2 people were stabbed and a gun was fired on Thursday, May 16th. The Roadkill Sports Grill in Greeley lost its liquor license for 15 days after rival gang members from the Hells Angels, Sons of Silence, and Silent Warriors were involved in a large fight.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Roadkill+Sports+Grill/@40.3891418,-104.7148115,3a,75y,254h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6gbNklVhSCAPiaZcrXBBvg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x1b6674e918109f5b!6m1!1e1

---------------
Jim & I's Star Bar
A grenade-carrying man shot up a Colorado Springs, CO motorcycle bar in the fatal 1993 spree.
Eugene Baylis was accused of killing two people and wounding two others in the shooting at Jim & I's Star Bar on April 17, 1993. He faced 18 charges, including first-degree murder.
--------------

tough enough for ya?

yhs

Shooting in an alley   /  shooting up in an alley.  The odd machete attack .  All kind of de riguer around here.

The media inserts  add some perspective to "outlaw hero  " stories of yore. Sadly  drugs, booze, guns and knives have never mixed well.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »

*snip*

yhs

*snip*
 Thank you for sharing  your more colourful establishments with their "patina and ambiance" that lends "character and atmosphere"  to the social experience   in your neighbourhood. Be Proud.

The meander down your streets  was inspiring .  Your hotels and stores are more cool than ours. The Red Eyed fly was an interesting little building. But the best is Don's Depot, it is a swell place for a jitterbug.

On the other hand, might we not want to list the pubs/bars from which you actually can come out alive?  I mean yeah, seedy has character, but that's not necessarily where you want to go.  I never went into one of those "massage" places, not even the Dirty Dog Saloon (or the "Poodle Lounge" further north XD ), but have been plenty of times to Red Eye Fly, Elysium, BD Riley's and Don's Depot (actually when I was learning to dance the Jitterbug and Swing - they are known for their big band music too).  Even a death-metal pizza place named "Höek's" (yes of Ren and Stimpy fame), who gives your Antipoedian "Hell's Pizza" a run for their money.

And our local university watering holes, just outside of campus, The Posse and The Posse East, are already dirty, grungy and seedy enough as they are -  and that's just students and college professors XD. I don't recommend the food in that place. XD

http://posse-east.com

I don't know how they even dare to call themselves a "grill." Maybe they're referring to the grill on their company car XD

If we were to allow food/beer places then I should mention Conan's Pizza, if you like eating the best deep dish pizza in town (The Barbarian) while sitting on rough wooden benches with all the walls plastered with Conan the Barbarian, related and other Tolkienesque comic book covers while listening to heavy metal music... 

http://conanspizza.com/

It satisfies my nerdy 1970s "inner Meatloaf" persona.

You have me wondering if  Hell's is merely a  yuppie rip off of Hoeks. I note some strong similarities with Hoeks that  someone may have  run off with and not  cooked up so well for themselves.

Hell's is heavy on gimmick  and hype - flimsy on the pizza.  Why the blazes did they bother
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 02:17:09 am »

*snip*
You have me wondering if  Hell's is merely a  yuppie rip off of Hoeks. I note some strong similarities with Hoeks that  someone may have  run off with and not  cooked up so well for themselves.

Hell's is heavy on gimmick  and hype - flimsy on the pizza.  Why the blazes did they bother

To be honest with you, I don't even remember what Höek's pizza tasted like.  I was too drunk at the time  Cheesy Tongue  I do remember the "music" though...  Took days for the ringing in my ears to go away  Grin

http://www.hoeksdeathmetalpizza.com/

Höek's Pizza Box
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:22:23 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 08:50:32 am »

Just got a book from the library showing some of Australias outback pubs. That last image looks just like one- many of them end up with walls covered in cr@p.

Barrow Creek Hotel, NT

Birdsville Hotel, QLD
And it gets worse...

Daly Waters Pub, NT

Tilpa Hotel, NSW
And look at the decor in this place:

Ironclad Hotel, Marble Bar, WA.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 03:34:51 pm »

I have never got the baseball/ trucker cap thing in pubs .  They detract from the character and ambiance.   Older images of outback pubs in books an T V shows  have a certain swagger
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 06:18:42 pm »

http://diply.com/different-solutions/parisian-nightclubs-in-early-1900s-were-incredibly-eerie/44047 Made me think of this.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 09:12:11 am »

One would expect suitably demonic  goings on inside

Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 08:47:32 pm »

It's now a mini-market.

http://www.montmartre-secret.com/article-montmartre-cabarets-le-ciel-l-enfer-65083895.html

--
Keith
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 11:39:33 pm »

SXSW is coming this 11 of March. It will be a jungle. I'm pondering whether to go at all. Last year I had no time /money,  but this year I have wares to sell.  I know that we have a new "Steampunk Bar" downtown, but the impression from my roommate (who works as a bartender) is not that good ("douchy "is the word he used).

chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 12:04:09 pm »

I have never got the baseball/ trucker cap thing in pubs .  They detract from the character and ambiance.   Older images of outback pubs in books an T V shows  have a certain swagger

They can't all be slouch hats.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »

I have never got the baseball/ trucker cap thing in pubs .  They detract from the character and ambiance.   Older images of outback pubs in books an T V shows  have a certain swagger

They can't all be slouch hats.

Well, they have brassieres too,  apparently... (5th picture upwards from this post) .   Roll Eyes

Grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:39:20 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: