The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 19, 2019, 09:41:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 56896 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #525 on: June 04, 2018, 09:28:09 am »

Hello all, my name is Captain Steele Tear. I suppose I have been a lurker, as I've heard it called, having been visiting here for years and never making an account. So I shall present an account, of myself.

My love affair with Steampunk began quite unexpectedly out of necessity. More than three years ago my wife and I, with our two young daughters, bought a small farm in the hills of Kentucky, seemed a good idea at the time, but winter came and with it the terrible realization that our very old house was incredibly drafty. Drafty is a nice word, more like: "who left the door open!? ... oh, it's still closed". Needless to say I had to find a way to keep my family warm. So, I bought a wood burning stove, not a very good one mind you, it was better than the open fireplace, however it burned wood too quickly being fairly old and drafty itself. It got to the point that I was chopping down trees this morning to burn tonight; it was bad. Naturally I did what anyone would do in that situation; I bought a ton of coal. While I do not suggest anyone attempt burning coal in a wood stove, I made it work and it kept us warm.

I honestly didn't think my neighbors would get as upset as they did, apparently not everyone loves the smell of burning coal like I do, this is Kentucky, after all, I thought it would be fine, but it did explain why I had to drive an hour away to find someone who still sells coal to the private citizen.

Steampunk was always that thing I would see here and there and love it but, didn't know what it was called. Once I started researching how to build a steam engine for the farm,  I found it. It was like: "That's it! Steampunk is its name!". And I haven't looked back since.

Welcome to the forum Captain Tear! Nice to have you aboard! Being as warm as it is now, I speculate you may not be using so much coal!

Adm. J. Wilhelm
United States Airship Orca

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #526 on: June 04, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »

Actually, I am going to top up my wood supply with a couple of bags of briquettes (compressed brown coal - would be peat in some other countries!) on Wednesday when I go to town. I have a dual fuel stove and, having grown up with mostly black coal or briquette fires just love the smell!

Welcome aboard, newcomers - there is always a grand welcome for strangers here!  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #527 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:52 pm »

Actually, I am going to top up my wood supply with a couple of bags of briquettes (compressed brown coal - would be peat in some other countries!) on Wednesday when I go to town. I have a dual fuel stove and, having grown up with mostly black coal or briquette fires just love the smell!

Welcome aboard, newcomers - there is always a grand welcome for strangers here!  Grin

The problem with briquets in the United States is that they are full of chemicals, like fuel and other additives. On top of the nomal toxins that come from burning coal, you also get a soup of man made carcinogenics to go with it...

When cooking I use natural lump vegetable charcoal like Mesquite (Texas) and other hardwood charcoal like Applewood, etc.
Captain Steele Tear
Deck Hand

of the Airship "Skeleton Blue"

« Reply #528 on: June 05, 2018, 08:55:17 pm »

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've been fortunate enough to have to access cherry wood for smoking meat. Reconfigured my gas grill for smoking, worked better than I thought it would. I couldn't get a full 8 hour smoke but a few hours still makes a nice tender roast.

Happy ocular transference.
RT Livingstone
Gunner

malarkey!

« Reply #529 on: July 03, 2018, 06:40:02 pm »

Hello,

I'm RT Livingstone, Adventurer. I live in one of the outer boroughs of New York City. I am married with three adult daughters.

I have come to the Steampunk movement slowly over the last few years. I realize now that I liked and was attracted to many things Steampunk, before I knew the word. I am still very ignorant to much of the Steampunk culture, but I look forward to learning and soaking up as much information as I can on this forum and hopefully make a friend or two.

Ray
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #530 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:09 pm »

Hello,

I'm RT Livingstone, Adventurer. I live in one of the outer boroughs of New York City. I am married with three adult daughters.

I have come to the Steampunk movement slowly over the last few years. I realize now that I liked and was attracted to many things Steampunk, before I knew the word. I am still very ignorant to much of the Steampunk culture, but I look forward to learning and soaking up as much information as I can on this forum and hopefully make a friend or two.

Ray

A warm welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy looking around.

Yours,
Miranda.
TheDragonPrince
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:39 am »

Greetings all.

I am often known as The Dragon Prince but you can call me Jordan. I joined this community just minutes ago and I wanted to introduce myself as soon as possible. Steampunk has always been something close to my heart and so I am here to become more involved in it and to discover new things. I don't know if this is a good introduction but hey, I tried

I hope things go well from here

I've always said that to truly live, all you need is something to love and something to fear
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2018, 05:05:04 pm »

Greetings all.

I am often known as The Dragon Prince but you can call me Jordan. I joined this community just minutes ago and I wanted to introduce myself as soon as possible. Steampunk has always been something close to my heart and so I am here to become more involved in it and to discover new things. I don't know if this is a good introduction but hey, I tried

I hope things go well from here

Welcome to the forum, Dragon Prince! Don't worry about the type of introduction, its just nice to have a new member participate in this thread to break the ice. While slow at times, this is the right place to discover new things. I've been remiss as of late due to "real world problems" shall we say? Feel free to peruse these halls!
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #533 on: September 24, 2018, 09:20:19 pm »

Not an introduction since I first came here in 2010... but I've been away for a while. So, hello, cheerio and all that.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #534 on: September 25, 2018, 01:16:00 pm »

Hello, and welcome back!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Professor Snark
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #535 on: February 02, 2019, 05:19:47 pm »

Salutations all.

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Professor Snark, scientist, botanist, entomologist, adventurer and tinkerer of all things coggy and wirey.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:31:50 pm by Professor Snark » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #536 on: February 02, 2019, 06:02:23 pm »

Greetings and felicitations, Professor. Do please share with us some of your tinkerings.
PrismMime4/7
Deck Hand

« Reply #537 on: February 18, 2019, 01:27:49 am »

I have been wanting to share my writing, ideas, suggestions, etc. to the world on a fantasy forum, and this looks like the place.  Hello. Cheesy
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #538 on: February 18, 2019, 02:50:39 pm »

I have been wanting to share my writing, ideas, suggestions, etc. to the world on a fantasy forum, and this looks like the place.  Hello. Cheesy

Hello, and welcome. We look forward to seeing what you've come up with.
A goldfish.
Deck Hand

Real friends give their friends eels.

« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:27 pm »

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for some time now, but I felt the whim to make an introductory post.
Contrary to my username I am not really a goldfish. I don't have a set persona or nickname yet, so you can call me what you wish. I don't know specifically where or when I first got into steampunk, but it's been many years since it happened. There are no steampunks near me where I live (that I'm aware of), so I rely on the internet. However I'm shy of people, so I don't post much. But I do enjoy this site and the broad range of topics covered here. Smiley

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

- Romans 8:35-37
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2019, 02:18:15 am »

Welcome and Don't be Afraid to Ask for Help if You have to. Also,Don't be afraid to Note Anyone of Feel like it,OK?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: