The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 27, 2017, 12:07:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 20339 times)
Agent Redstone
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:16 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I’m so glad to have found this forum. I’ve been sort of poking around the fringes of Steampunk for a little while, but I really didn’t know much about it till fairly recently. I saw a document on Steampunk a few months ago on Netflix and it really started to peak my curiosity. Then I was at a Ren Fair a couple weeks ago and there were a number of Steampunk cosplayers (if that is ok to say) there and at that moment I said I had to know more and make my own outfit. It helps that the number one suggestion I’ve read is to create a character to help developing an outfit (I enjoy writing fiction though don’t really get much time to do it these days).    I’m very excited to immerse myself in the genre (during my lunch hour I grabbed a copy of the Difference Engine) and hopefully get to know some fine people.  I may have also found a genre of science fiction that I can get my girlfriend excited about too, which is an excellent bonus.

All that said, it is a pleasure to make everyone’s acquaintance. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Special Agent Cyrus Bernard Redstone
Office of Investigations for the Criminal, Paranormal and Unclassifiable
 United States Secret Service for President Abraham Lincoln
Genna8
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2016, 11:31:22 pm »

Hi Everyone

I'm Dave and have been becoming increasingly interested in Steampunk over the past 2 years or so - buying books, artifacts, watching SP themed movies etc. Recently I was with friends (non goth, SP or anything else) who were at Whitby during the WGW - they talked about the goth style and referred to another very specific style which impressed them called Steampunk. I can't explain why but that was the point I knew I wanted to really get into wearing SP clothing. I have now booked for WGW, Haworth etc and really looking forward to it. My only problem is that, although my friends are cool with the clothes I wear none of them want to follow suit- this means I am obliged to go to events on my own. OK up to a point as at 50 Im all grown up But if anyone is going to an event where I could tag along I would appreciate it. Looking forward to getting even more and more involved with SP.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #327 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:58 am »

Welcome to BG, Agent Redstone and Dave.

You both appear perfectly suited to join our splandid community.  Dive into the various topics, comment when you find something that interests you and above all, take us on the journey with you.  I look forward to seeing your posts about putting your characters/costumes/toys together.

Dave - being grown up is quite irrelevant.  I turned 60 a couple of weeks ago.  If anything, us codgers seem to enjoy steampunk more!

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
von Corax
Spam Camper
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #328 on: October 27, 2016, 07:47:09 am »

You both appear perfectly suited to join our splandid community.  Dive into the various topics, comment when you find something that interests you and above all, take us on the journey with you.  I look forward to seeing your posts about putting your characters/costumes/toys together.

Dave - being grown up is quite irrelevant.  I turned 60 a couple of weeks ago.  If anything, us codgers seem to enjoy steampunk more!

Quite so - I often tell people that one of the attractions is that people our age can cosplay without being creepy. Cheesy

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #329 on: October 27, 2016, 04:36:53 pm »

Quite so - I often tell people that one of the attractions is that people our age can cosplay without being creepy. Cheesy

they say steampunk is the next stage of Goth, when growing to old for the gothic style.

make of that what you want, I'm 21 and have never been a goth.

I could be a Scientologist, just as a hobbyist
and start a cult that's turning people into sheep
~the real Mackenzies
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #330 on: October 27, 2016, 06:18:50 pm »

I have now booked for WGW, Haworth etc and really looking forward to it. My only problem is that, although my friends are cool with the clothes I wear none of them want to follow suit- this means I am obliged to go to events on my own. OK up to a point as at 50 Im all grown up But if anyone is going to an event where I could tag along I would appreciate it. Looking forward to getting even more and more involved with SP.

You will find everyone at WGW very friendly so just say hello to people.  Steampunk Central at The Rifle Club is probably a good place to find folk to chat to, but a lot of us like promenading about the town too - that's what we tend to do most (that and stop at different tea rooms for tea and cake!).  Even if your friends don't actually want to dress up I think they would enjoy the atmosphere and there are a lot of 'normal' people about too.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #331 on: October 27, 2016, 06:35:06 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I’m so glad to have found this forum. I’ve been sort of poking around the fringes of Steampunk for a little while, but I really didn’t know much about it till fairly recently. I saw a document on Steampunk a few months ago on Netflix and it really started to peak my curiosity. Then I was at a Ren Fair a couple weeks ago and there were a number of Steampunk cosplayers (if that is ok to say) there and at that moment I said I had to know more and make my own outfit. It helps that the number one suggestion I’ve read is to create a character to help developing an outfit (I enjoy writing fiction though don’t really get much time to do it these days).    I’m very excited to immerse myself in the genre (during my lunch hour I grabbed a copy of the Difference Engine) and hopefully get to know some fine people.  I may have also found a genre of science fiction that I can get my girlfriend excited about too, which is an excellent bonus.

All that said, it is a pleasure to make everyone’s acquaintance. I look forward to interacting with you all.

Pleased to make your acquaintance, Agent Redstone. I'm Admiral Wilhelm.  Some time ago I used to be a captain in the United States Airship Command. The Great Transatlantic War has been tough on all of us.

Please send my regards to President Lincoln. I don't know if your acquainted with the Airship USAS Albany. That was my ship, which was christened by none other than President Lincoln. After participating in the Franco-American Battle over the Desert of Sonora 3 years ago, I captured the stratosphere - capable Austrian-made Confederate States Airship Alamo.  

After taking prisoners of war aboard, President Lincoln authorized my request for amnesty to the Austrian "Airship Angel" engineering crew.  They are a curious elven-like people from the Catholic regions of greater Germany known as Engelfolk, or Angel People, which I vaguely remember from my own childhood in Bavaria many years ago. Since I can speak their language they now serve a board the ship under my command, which I rechristened the USAS Orca.

The war seems finally to be turning on the Allied side, with Union troops re- capturing the Oregon, as well as the Arizona and New Mexico unincorporated territory from Confederate forces.  The British have abandoned neutrality and have declared war against the Axis of Austria, Imperial Mexico and France. I guess they'll come to our rescue and turn the place the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. Our and Prussian fleets are making inroads towards Mexico City, much to the chagrin of Napoleon III, Emperor Maximilian in México  and his brother Francis Joseph I back in Austria.

Again please feel welcome to join the forum. The landing party is headed for the Mess Hall, I hear we will have barbecue ribs and Chili con Carne,  which I haven't had since my days as a young Texican lad in Austin,  before I went to to Westpoint Academy.  After secession ,  I just stayed in the Union side and I haven't had a decent bowl of chili since.

Welcome aboard!

Admiral.  Johannes Wilhelm
USAS Orca.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #332 on: October 27, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »

Hi Everyone

I'm Dave and have been becoming increasingly interested in Steampunk over the past 2 years or so - buying books, artifacts, watching SP themed movies etc. Recently I was with friends (non goth, SP or anything else) who were at Whitby during the WGW - they talked about the goth style and referred to another very specific style which impressed them called Steampunk. I can't explain why but that was the point I knew I wanted to really get into wearing SP clothing. I have now booked for WGW, Haworth etc and really looking forward to it. My only problem is that, although my friends are cool with the clothes I wear none of them want to follow suit- this means I am obliged to go to events on my own. OK up to a point as at 50 Im all grown up But if anyone is going to an event where I could tag along I would appreciate it. Looking forward to getting even more and more involved with SP.

You too Dave! Welcome aboard! You're free to join us at the mess hall. We'll have Doppel Bock beer as well!
Agent Redstone
Deck Hand

« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2016, 04:42:10 pm »

Hello Everyone,

Pleased to make your acquaintance, Agent Redstone. I'm Admiral Wilhelm.  Some time ago I used to be a captain in the United States Airship Command. The Great Transatlantic War has been tough on all of us.

Please send my regards to President Lincoln. I don't know if your acquainted with the Airship USAS Albany. That was my ship, which was christened by none other than President Lincoln. After participating in the Franco-American Battle over the Desert of Sonora 3 years ago, I captured the stratosphere - capable Austrian-made Confederate States Airship Alamo.  

After taking prisoners of war aboard, President Lincoln authorized my request for amnesty to the Austrian "Airship Angel" engineering crew.  They are a curious elven-like people from the Catholic regions of greater Germany known as Engelfolk, or Angel People, which I vaguely remember from my own childhood in Bavaria many years ago. Since I can speak their language they now serve a board the ship under my command, which I rechristened the USAS Orca.

The war seems finally to be turning on the Allied side, with Union troops re- capturing the Oregon, as well as the Arizona and New Mexico unincorporated territory from Confederate forces.  The British have abandoned neutrality and have declared war against the Axis of Austria, Imperial Mexico and France. I guess they'll come to our rescue and turn the place the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. Our and Prussian fleets are making inroads towards Mexico City, much to the chagrin of Napoleon III, Emperor Maximilian in México  and his brother Francis Joseph I back in Austria.

Again please feel welcome to join the forum. The landing party is headed for the Mess Hall, I hear we will have barbecue ribs and Chili con Carne,  which I haven't had since my days as a young Texican lad in Austin,  before I went to to Westpoint Academy.  After secession ,  I just stayed in the Union side and I haven't had a decent bowl of chili since.

Welcome aboard!

Admiral.  Johannes Wilhelm
USAS Orca.

Admiral,

I thank you for your kind greeting. These are indeed trying times. Our great mechanical wonders have brought about great changes, connecting nations in a way never before possible. Sadly, its seems to be the way of our species to enter into conflict when our territorial lines become blurred. Please forgive my maudlin view.

I cannot say I am acquainted with the Albany. Sadly I have never had much constitution for the skies or the seas for that matter. As a consequence I did much of my time as an Army scout on horseback.

But I digress. I shall pass on your greeting to the President at the earliest opportunity.

Warmest Regards
Special Agent Redstone (not entirely sure about the name yet.)

xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2016, 02:22:17 pm »

Welcome to the Brass-Goggles Forums Agent Redstone

Nice to make your aquaintance! hope you have a good time on these forums and meet and speak to some interesting people!.

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” - Winston Churchill Quotation
robertdmoores
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Lord Erebus Rotomagos

« Reply #335 on: November 04, 2016, 02:38:52 am »

Hi everyone!  My name is Robert Moores, I'm about to turn 38, and I barely knew what Steampunk was until I watched Vintage Tomorrows on Netflix.  It was weird the way it immediately fascinated me.  I have decided that I would love to create 3D rendered Steampunk images, and ultimately a full feature animated movie or series.  I'm here to chat with people who can help me become familiar with the aesthetics and the engineering so that I can start modeling stuff.  I hope to meet some really awesome people at the same time!  Nice to meet you!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2016, 06:36:07 am »

Hi everyone!  My name is Robert Moores, I'm about to turn 38, and I barely knew what Steampunk was until I watched Vintage Tomorrows on Netflix.  It was weird the way it immediately fascinated me.  I have decided that I would love to create 3D rendered Steampunk images, and ultimately a full feature animated movie or series.  I'm here to chat with people who can help me become familiar with the aesthetics and the engineering so that I can start modeling stuff.  I hope to meet some really awesome people at the same time!  Nice to meet you!

Most welcome mister Moores! You've come to the right place!
crpony
Deck Hand

« Reply #337 on: November 08, 2016, 03:38:38 am »

Hi, all! Happy to be here! I'm CRPony,(or "Confettirainbowpony"). I'm 35, I'm an artist (comics, graphic art etc...), and I've been into steampunk for abouttttttt seven years? Ever since I found out it was a thing. <:'D A beautiful wonderful thing.  Cheesy I've always been interested in the Victorian aesthetic/world (I remember begging my mom for floor length bustle gowns and corsets as a kid and constantly trying to talk her into decorating the house in Victoriana style Roll Eyes ) soooo finding out about a subculture based around it pretty much made my life!  Grin My husband and I recently bought a Victorian home and are currently working on decorating it to period, so I'm always open to decorating ideas and interesting home decor! Anyway, I'm happy to be here and looking forward to meeting many fun, interesting and like-minded people Cheesy
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2016, 12:06:11 pm »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to both our newcomers!

A Victorian house, o my! What interesting times you have ahead of you!
Animated movies, o my! I'm looking forward to seeing what directions you take with that.
Try the archives- 10 years of conversations comments and discussions on just about every aspect of steampunkery you can imagine.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
robertdmoores
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Lord Erebus Rotomagos

« Reply #339 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »

Animated movies, o my! I'm looking forward to seeing what directions you take with that.
Try the archives- 10 years of conversations comments and discussions on just about every aspect of steampunkery you can imagine.

Yes, this forum is like finding a lost treasure trove!  I'm finding terrific ideas that I never even knew I was looking for.  I'm very glad you all are here!
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2016, 07:35:43 am »

I'm quite pleased to be here too.  It certainly beats the alternative.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2016, 10:34:41 am »

I'm quite pleased to be here too.  It certainly beats the alternative.

Glad you're OK.  The news reports we're getting here are showing a lot of damage.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2016, 05:31:00 am »

I'm quite pleased to be here too.  It certainly beats the alternative.

Glad you're OK.  The news reports we're getting here are showing a lot of damage.

Thank you, madam.  Much appreciated.

My previous remark wasn't anything to do with the earthquakes - the 'post time' indicated by BG is misleading; the wobbles hadn't yet happened when I wrote it - but yes, there's considerable damage further south.

Hawthorne Towers is fine.  The temporal isolators are functioning well, and the only thing that happened was a couple of pictures on the wall went slightly crooked.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:01:18 am by Colonel Hawthorne » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »

Excellent news, my dear sir.
steampunkus
Swab

« Reply #344 on: November 16, 2016, 02:14:48 am »

My name is Rob and I'm a closet steampunker.

I probably always had it in me. I tinkered and built things as a child that were indistinguishable from the Steampunk imagery I see on the internet today.

I built steampunk vehicles in my basement.  Sailing vessels so large they could never be removed from the basement.  It didn't matter. It was having them that mattered.

I must have passed the genes on to my sons, now teenagers.  They introduced me (or was it that they RE-introduced me?) to steampunk.  There's a diner near where I live that is designed in steampunk style. When we walked in, my elder son started jumping up and down. "This place is STEAMPUNK!!!!".

That re-launched me on the journey that I'm on today.  I'm starting a store to offer the same kind of excitement that I felt as a child.  The same kind of excitement that my son felt that day in the restaurant.

The best way I can describe the feeling is this: Imagine dressing up for travel and taking all your heavy bags down to the station to take a long trip by train.  It's 1899, and you arrive at this gorgeous palace of a railway station - the kind that only the Victorians could produce.

I call it "Steampunk Union Station"

When it's ready to open I'll let you all know

best,

Rob
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #345 on: November 16, 2016, 06:08:50 am »

My name is Rob and I'm a closet steampunker.

I probably always had it in me. I tinkered and built things as a child that were indistinguishable from the Steampunk imagery I see on the internet today.

I built steampunk vehicles in my basement.  Sailing vessels so large they could never be removed from the basement.  It didn't matter. It was having them that mattered.

I must have passed the genes on to my sons, now teenagers.  They introduced me (or was it that they RE-introduced me?) to steampunk.  There's a diner near where I live that is designed in steampunk style. When we walked in, my elder son started jumping up and down. "This place is STEAMPUNK!!!!".

That re-launched me on the journey that I'm on today.  I'm starting a store to offer the same kind of excitement that I felt as a child.  The same kind of excitement that my son felt that day in the restaurant.

The best way I can describe the feeling is this: Imagine dressing up for travel and taking all your heavy bags down to the station to take a long trip by train.  It's 1899, and you arrive at this gorgeous palace of a railway station - the kind that only the Victorians could produce.

I call it "Steampunk Union Station"

When it's ready to open I'll let you all know

best,

Rob

A Closet Steampunk? Well come on out! Roll Eyes  Grin

Welcome to the forum. And good luck with your shop! Any idea on the inauguration date?
AuntieTina
Swab

Gravatar

Auntie_Tinas
« Reply #346 on: November 16, 2016, 05:54:16 pm »

Hello! My name is Tina, also known as Auntie Tina.  I recently started blogging and making videos on vintage and antique things.  My last post was on decorative compacts.  Who knew these clever little things had so many hidden compartments?  They reminded me of the gadgets in a the Steampunk novels I read, which led me to wonder how I could combine my interest.  So far, I haven't been able to make many connections, but so much of what I have researched finds its origins in the 1800's industrial age.  I am open to ideas and suggestions!  Meanwhile, I'm going to soak up all the wonderful information on this site and see if it can spark my creativity!
I would love for you to visit my site and leave some comments (polite ones are most appreciated!)
www.auntietinasantiques.com

Auntie Tina
Lover of history and information!
Blog and Video: Auntie Tina's Antiques
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2016, 09:36:02 am »

Welcome to BG, Auntie Tina (I need a new aunt or two - my real ones are getting a little scarce).

I enjoyed your uranium glass.blacklight post.  I think I saw some uranium glass in an antique shop in Australia a few years ago.  Your post makes me wish I'd bought a piece!

Anyway, have fun exploring our wonderful world here.  You'll find all maner of ideas.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2016, 10:21:47 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome aboard, Tina.
I loved your post on the origins  and the history of compacts. Very tidy work, indeed!
I wish you all the best in your business; you have a brilliant idea there.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
AuntieTina
Swab

Gravatar

Auntie_Tinas
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »

Thank you so much Colonel Hawthorne and Prof. Cecily!  I truly appreciate your feedback and am most grateful you took time to look at my blog!  This site is truly inspiring! I am so happy to have found it! I already have several new ideas in mind!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: