Author Topic: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)  (Read 170390 times)

poisonpearl

• Deck Hand
  • Ablutions expert....part time poisoner
    • Strange Brew Soap Co.
Re: Introduce yourself (Mk. III)
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2016, 09:47:04 am »
Seeing as it has been two years since I last posted here, I thought it might be polite to re-introduce myself here

My name is Sami

I’m also….

A Misanthropic wannabe courtesan
Baker
Obsessed with circuses
Steampunk dreamer
Get rich schemer
prospective taxidermist
Heavy metal thunderer
Know it all
Interferer

I'm live on The Wirral near Liverpool, UK
I'm a soapmaker and I own a sort of dark apothecary style soap business by the name of Strange Brew Soap Co. and frequently trade at Leeds Steampunk Market

I've been interested in Steampunk for a long time, but I have decided to involve myself more from this year forward and I am developing a character who is known by many names as she has had many adventures in her life. I wanted to invent a character, a character with an entire history, and with that history I wanted her to have a dark legacy, the type of person that nursery rhymes were written about. I tried to imagine her as someone Holmes would investigate, with occult undercurrents and circus connections. And so Madame Pearl aka Poison Pearl was born

She began as a pauper on the streets of Liverpool as Pearl Madden, and was enticed to run away with the circus. She married wealth and became known as Madame Pearl. After various nefarious and as yet unexplained incidents involving her staff and husband(s), rumors abounded and she is now commonly referred to as 'Poison Pearl' and children make little rhymes up about her. She lives in a manor house, where she resides with her circus family, the fortune teller guiding her in her journey

I like tea
Glad to meet you all

http://strangebrewsoap.com/ https://www.facebook.com/strangebrewsoapco
It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.

wolfmanyoda

• Deck Hand
« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2016, 03:30:28 pm »
Well wolfmanyoda you've achieved a lot more than I have so far ... I'm still working on my outfit.  I've got the very basics (trousers, shirt, and finger-less leather gloves), but unfortunately the waistcoat I ordered was way too small (despite ordering a larger size than needed according to the sellers size chart).  Do you have any pictures of you in your outfit (other than the small avatar)?  I'd be interested to see them :)
I didn't get a lot of photos taken at the time. This is the full version from my avatar, it's about the best I have.

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2016, 08:05:57 pm »
Well wolfmanyoda you've achieved a lot more than I have so far ... I'm still working on my outfit.  I've got the very basics (trousers, shirt, and finger-less leather gloves), but unfortunately the waistcoat I ordered was way too small (despite ordering a larger size than needed according to the sellers size chart).  Do you have any pictures of you in your outfit (other than the small avatar)?  I'd be interested to see them :)
I didn't get a lot of photos taken at the time. This is the full version from my avatar, it's about the best I have.

I love that arm!
Passion is like a Peatfire

wolfmanyoda

• Deck Hand
« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2016, 04:27:50 pm »
I love that arm!

Why thank you :)
This outfit is all craft foam, including the hat and goggles. I don't suppose that's actually a bad thing, but I would like to redo it all in leather. I may end up just buying a pair of goggles at the next convention.

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2016, 08:40:54 am »
I love that arm!

Why thank you :)
This outfit is all craft foam, including the hat and goggles. I don't suppose that's actually a bad thing, but I would like to redo it all in leather. I may end up just buying a pair of goggles at the next convention.
well, it that's all foam i'm impressed! leather can be beautiful too.

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2016, 08:42:21 am »
Seeing as it has been two years since I last posted here, I thought it might be polite to re-introduce myself here

My name is Sami

I’m also….

A Misanthropic wannabe courtesan
Baker
Obsessed with circuses
Steampunk dreamer
Get rich schemer
prospective taxidermist
Heavy metal thunderer
Know it all
Interferer

I'm live on The Wirral near Liverpool, UK
I'm a soapmaker and I own a sort of dark apothecary style soap business by the name of Strange Brew Soap Co. and frequently trade at Leeds Steampunk Market

I've been interested in Steampunk for a long time, but I have decided to involve myself more from this year forward and I am developing a character who is known by many names as she has had many adventures in her life. I wanted to invent a character, a character with an entire history, and with that history I wanted her to have a dark legacy, the type of person that nursery rhymes were written about. I tried to imagine her as someone Holmes would investigate, with occult undercurrents and circus connections. And so Madame Pearl aka Poison Pearl was born

She began as a pauper on the streets of Liverpool as Pearl Madden, and was enticed to run away with the circus. She married wealth and became known as Madame Pearl. After various nefarious and as yet unexplained incidents involving her staff and husband(s), rumors abounded and she is now commonly referred to as 'Poison Pearl' and children make little rhymes up about her. She lives in a manor house, where she resides with her circus family, the fortune teller guiding her in her journey

I like tea
Glad to meet you all

welcome to BG! you'll fit right in!

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2016, 08:33:52 pm »
Obsessed with circuses

Clowns always seem very dark to me ... possibly part of the circus appeal for you?
Welcome home!
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Prof. Cecily

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2016, 07:28:33 am »
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen
...I'm a soapmaker and I own a sort of dark apothecary style soap business by the name of Strange Brew Soap Co. and frequently trade at Leeds Steampunk Market

... I am developing a character who is known by many names as she has had many adventures in her life. I wanted to invent a character, a character with an entire history, and with that history I wanted her to have a dark legacy, the type of person that nursery rhymes were written about. I tried to imagine her as someone Holmes would investigate...

Welcome back, poisonpearl.
An interesting character.
Someone Edward Gorey would have written a verse about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gashlycrumb_Tinies

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

poisonpearl

• Deck Hand
    • Strange Brew Soap Co.
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2016, 08:55:10 am »
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen

Welcome back, poisonpearl.
An interesting character.
Someone Edward Gorey would have written a verse about?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gashlycrumb_Tinies

I remain yours, Prof. Cecily

Yes I suppose she is!
 But I surprisingly have never read any Gorey.
When I first started to imagine her background, I was reading We have always lived in the castle https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Have_Always_Lived_in_the_Castle, and that gave me some ideas, but now come to think about it, she's also quite a lot like Vanessa from Penny Dreadful, even though that show hadn't aired at that time, and if Vanessa was older.

I like to think that Pearl sometimes wears an eye patch, although she doesn't need to

Dr.B.Goodall

• Gunner
  • Be Good All! ;)
« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2016, 07:35:14 pm »
I don't know exactly why poisenpearl, but when I read your OP on here it reminded me of the film Sucker Punch (which has a bit of a Steampunk influence, especially with the seemingly "steam powered" Nazi's).  I understand that it doesn't really tie in with your back-story.

So children make rhymes about you? ... I heard this one in the local streets:

"If your are good,
 and you can hide,
 she who's bad,
 will not find.

But if you're bad,
 or can't hide well,
 the Poison Perl,
 will take you to Hell.
"

Just something I've heard
"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer

poisonpearl

• Deck Hand
    • Strange Brew Soap Co.
« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2016, 11:19:07 pm »

"If your are good,
 and you can hide,
 she who's bad,
 will not find.

But if you're bad,
 or can't hide well,
 the Poison Perl,
 will take you to Hell.
"

Just something I've heard

Oh wow I've never heard that rhyme before! Maybe I'm time travelling

Prof. Cecily

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2016, 07:26:42 am »
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
...When I first started to imagine her background, I was reading We have always lived in the castle https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Have_Always_Lived_in_the_Castle, and that gave me some ideas, but now come to think about it, she's also quite a lot like Vanessa from Penny Dreadful, even though that show hadn't aired at that time, and if Vanessa was older.

I like to think that Pearl sometimes wears an eye patch, although she doesn't need to

I've not read that novel, nor yet seen the series Penny Dreadful.
Two things to look forward to!

Three, counting the development of your character!

I remain yours,
Prof.Cecily

PERIL

• Swab
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:32 pm »
If you're new to Brass Goggles, introduce yourself here!

The old introduce yourself thread got rather unweildy -- it's been moved to the Historical Society for preservation, so feel free to look through previous introductions there.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this and I'm very excited to join this community. I'm an author and filmmaker. My first book "PERIL", which is being offered for free on Amazon 4/23, 4/24/ and 4/25 is also the first film project I'm attempting to produce as a feature film. Mind you, I have no agent, production company backing me, or major Hollywood producer connections. I'm as Indy as they come, lol! However, what I do have is creativity, tenacity, oh and a pretty dedicated fan following (which I am grateful for and humbled by ;)). This film endeavor has brought me many tears of joy and pain; I'm guessing that's the price of admission to seeing your dreams come true. Anyway, my hope is that this community embraces me and "PERIL". Over the past few years, I've managed to get some A-list conceptual artist to read the book and they fell in love with the story. They've rendered some beautiful concept art for the project. I've marketed the film effort via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social networking sites. But, I've realized that I need to connect directly with an audience that really has a love for steampunk so here I am flaws and all. If you'd like to learn more about this amazing project please feel free to visit periluniverse.com, PERIL on Facebook, or get a free copy of the book at amazon.com

Again, thanks for the warm welcome! I feel at home :)

*moderator edit  - removed links, SS*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:53:32 am by Siliconous Skumins »

poisonpearl

• Deck Hand
    • Strange Brew Soap Co.
« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »
Obsessed with circuses

Clowns always seem very dark to me ... possibly part of the circus appeal for you?
Welcome home!

I used to be terrified of clowns, so in a form of cognitive behavioral therapy, I forced myself to look at pictures of them. Then I became a clown character in Second Life, and then I grew to really love everything about the circus

Teards

« Reply #239 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:53 am »
I just want to say Hi everyone and introduced myself in short as a new member of this forum. My name is Teards. i live in new york.I work in an ad agency.I like reading books and love to swim. this forum looks great and quite informative. So please tolerate my questions if something wrong behind me. My Purpose Is To Gain Knowledge.

Dr. Moonlight

• Swab
  • Artist by trade, adventurer at heart.
    • The Lycan Knight
« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2016, 05:22:40 pm »
Hello everyone! Yep, I am a nube to the Steampunk world but I have fallen in love with the genre. I look forward to getting to know all of you and plucking your brains for those Steampunk nuggets of gold you all have found that makes for some wonderful ideas and a rich experience I have come to enjoy from all of you fascinating Steampunkers!

I have chosen Dr. Moonlight for fun. It reflects my love for DIY trinkets and my fascination with werewolves. So the good Dr. Moonlight has a Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde flavor that I find greatly fascinating.  :D I'm still working on a backstory, and maybe even may wright a story about if I can organize my thoughts on the topic.

Anywho, Wonderful to be here and thanks to "Brass Goggles" for the privilege to join your fine community of great people. See you out there!
Wherever you go, there you are.

poisonpearl

• Deck Hand
    • Strange Brew Soap Co.
« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:37 pm »
Hello everyone! Yep, I am a nube to the Steampunk world but I have fallen in love with the genre. I look forward to getting to know all of you and plucking your brains for those Steampunk nuggets of gold you all have found that makes for some wonderful ideas and a rich experience I have come to enjoy from all of you fascinating Steampunkers!

I have chosen Dr. Moonlight for fun. It reflects my love for DIY trinkets and my fascination with werewolves. So the good Dr. Moonlight has a Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde flavor that I find greatly fascinating.  :D I'm still working on a backstory, and maybe even may wright a story about if I can organize my thoughts on the topic.

Anywho, Wonderful to be here and thanks to "Brass Goggles" for the privilege to join your fine community of great people. See you out there!

Hi and welcome!

I believe a werewolf loving Dr Moonlight would be a friend of Madam 'Poison' Pearl's

Dr.B.Goodall

• Gunner
  • Be Good All! ;)
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2016, 05:38:10 pm »
Welcome to BG Dr. Moonlight :)

I'm fairly new to Steampunk (and not been on BG long), but have found myself totally immersed in all the posts on here, meaning I have ideas' pouring out for various contraptions / projects already (I have 2 on the go right now, with many more to follow).  Also, the guys and girls on here are very helpful, informative and supportive.  So my advice is to have a good read first (which can take some time, as there's sooooo much info to read!), and then get stuck into the posts that intrigue you the most.

See you around  :D

Prof. Cecily

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:40 am »

Welcome to Brass Goggles, PERIL, Teards and Dr. Moonlight.
Learning and sharing and a bit of showing-off is what we do here, as far as I can tell.
The archives here are endlessly fascinating reading, believe me.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

slemmen

• Swab
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm fairly new to steampunk. I mostly go to the Elf Fantasy Fair in Haarzuilens and Arcen.
Between those 2 fairs my time is well spent in tinkering.

At my own site www.slemmen.nl you can find some of my work.

I live in Venlo in the Netherlands. So anyone who lives close by can contact me so we can exchange ideas and such.

It's good to be here.

Signing off,

Sjoerd "Dr. Raven" Lemmen

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »
hello, slemmen! I hope you managed to keep dry last elfia (I know I didn't...), Always nice to see people that like the same festivals!
welcome to BrassGoggles! make yourself at home!

Drachensfyre

• Deck Hand
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2016, 04:04:39 am »
Hello all....  I am totally knew to steampunk, all I have done is dabble with making a couple pair of goggles and a top hat... I foresee myself doing alot of searches, having alot of failures and maybe someday going to an event... I have many old skills, Blacksmithing, Casting, Leatherworking, Sheet Metal Work (Although heavier metals than what I think Ill need here).. I have also partaken in SCA events (I love going to Gulfwar), civil war reenactments, things like that... So, where do I start?

Drag

Colonel Hawthorne

• Snr. Officer
    • Capital! Steampunk New Zealand
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2016, 09:17:51 am »
My dear Drachensfyre, welcome to BG.

You've dabbled with goggles and top hats, you know blacksmithing and leather and you've found us!  I'd say you're off to a spendid start.

Just wander arond the topics, comment or question where you will and the rest will follow.  Above all, enjoy yourself - it's a long-held view of mine that if you're not enjoying steampunk, you're not doing it right.

We shall no doubt meet again in one thread or another.  Until then, best wishes.

- Hawthorne
Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?

Drachensfyre

• Deck Hand
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2016, 08:51:21 am »
My dear Drachensfyre, welcome to BG.

You've dabbled with goggles and top hats, you know blacksmithing and leather and you've found us!  I'd say you're off to a spendid start.

Just wander arond the topics, comment or question where you will and the rest will follow.  Above all, enjoy yourself - it's a long-held view of mine that if you're not enjoying steampunk, you're not doing it right.

We shall no doubt meet again in one thread or another.  Until then, best wishes.

- Hawthorne

Thank you Colonel... A very curious hobby, this... A mix of new and old but not exactly old.... Goes very well with many of my talents, and people dont look at me like I'm an idiot... of course I havent started wearing anything "period" around... I have already spent quite a while in the "How To" section, probably added about 50 bookmarks to my toolbar... Great "meeting" you/everyone...

Drag

Prof. Cecily

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2016, 05:20:36 am »
So glad to see a leatherworker here! I'm not one myself, but I deeply appreciate well-crafted leather.
So you want to start dressing the part?

Curiously detailed leather gaiters would make you stand out at any event, trust me.
Have fun reading up on strange and bemusing topics here!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily