The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 20, 2021, 05:00:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The farce awakens....  (Read 8000 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2014, 07:23:18 am »

My version
of star wars would only be shown in Oregon / select cinemas and come supplied with lightsaber vaporisers or seth rogen splints ...

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:08 pm »

ó

apparently the marines didn't get our memo.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:41 am »

Well I see it's all gone a bit quiet in this cynics party. C'mon admit it, at this point, the power of the farce is compelling thee (just a lil).

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Official)

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:47 am »

Yes, by heavily invoking the first trilogy and completely ignoring the second, they are definitely marketing towards their strengths. But as my hopes slowly rise on seeing that trailer I can't help but remember seeing a photo of Simon Pegg in an alien costume and think "It'll all end in tears! Again."

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2015, 11:14:00 am »

Just my two cents worth on some items found on this thread:

A. Here's something I've never heard previously addressed: as the Storm Troopers armour apparently provides no protection, and most likely would inhibit movement, why do they bother with it?

B. As to various comments on quality of the films in this series: my father used to say, "'Every one to their own taste,' said the beautiful lady as she kissed her cow". In Latin it would be, "de gustibus non es dispudandum" or, "in matters of taste debate is futile". Although I must admit despite the fact that these tend to "generate more heat than light", they do have a way of livening up the time spent in a chat room.  

C. I am NOT trying to resurrect any racial debates, merely commentating on how slippery the terminology involved can be. Just for reverence, I am an 74 year old American, and have resided in South Africa for almost eight of these.
     1. It seems that the media in the US has become so used to addressing black people as "African Americans" that one newscaster used that term when referring to French blacks who were rioting in Paris.
      2. As to the term "African American"; wouldn't that also correctly apply to Egyptians, and other non-blacks who came from that continent, or ancestors who had ?
      3. Although NOT a pejorative term here, "coloured" is still used quite often in South Africa. in this context it simply refers to someone of a mixed black/white parentage.
      4. I have seen a few albinos of black ancestry in my stay here and was just wondering the proper term for them would be? BTW on a more serious note, these are a most unfortunate people. In certain African areas they are sometimes hunted down, like the rhinos, by some severely misguided "traditional healers" who believe parts of their bodies contain some kind of magical powers. Personally I'd rather be an Untouchable in India, as bad off as they are.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:43:47 pm by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »

If I cast my memory waaay back to the 70s when I was buying everything Star Wars related I could get my hands on. It was explained by some poster magazine, that the Stormtrooper's armour was to protect against ricochets not direct fire. Given what awful shots they were that does kinda make sense. As for your other queries, it just seems to me that many Americans find it impossible to relate to the world outside of America (even if they are international news reporters). But yes technically an African American should mean any American of African descent.

People with albinism is a delicate subject, but if you're curious.

http://www.goldenalbinism.com/history/  .
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »

[snip]As for your other queries, it just seems to me that many Americans find it impossible to relate to the world outside of America (even if they are international news reporters).
Ah yes, happy memories of people on bulletin boards and chatrooms getting really angry that somehow foreigners had gotten in. After all it was America Online! Cheesy
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »

Mr Fairbrass, the question on this subject was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, thank you for alerting me as to the albino issue. As to the unfortunate situation mentioned, further research has revealed that this is virtually unknown in this day and age
qubehead
Gunner

« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 09:53:52 pm »

Another black-masked arch-villain? Really? TIE fighters in an atmosphere? Come ON, Disney! Couldn't they have re-jiggered the side panels into a semblance of wings which could be attempted to be believed? The lack of imagination at work here bodes ill. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this movie.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »

Just saw the movie. FANTASTIC! PERFECT! Plan on seeing it again.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:22 am »

Just saw the movie. FANTASTIC! PERFECT! Plan on seeing it again.

I'm not sure this is the right thread for you to post this  Cheesy  This is after all a thread dedicated to disparaging Star Wars  Grin Not being a hater of Star Wars myself, I'd much rather post in the other thread(s) we have right here in the Off-Topic section....

[mod hat]

Folks, first time reading some of the posts directly above: be careful and courteous toward others please. Please keep disparaging arguments on nationality, politics and race outside of the subject.

[/mod hat]

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2015, 07:50:35 am »

Just wanted to set the world right.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2015, 07:52:10 am »

Just wanted to set the world right.
Good luck with that.  Undecided
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »

Seeing is believing. I am looking forward to hear what others think.  One can always nitpick, but it seems to me that any sci-fi fan would love it.
Also non fans.

Three of us went yesterday. I have seen all of the earlier six multiple times.  My wife had seen each of the six, but no more than once.  And a good friend who had only seen the original a long time ago.

We all loved it.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »

I saw 'Star Wars' when it first came out. It was o.k. but I didn't buy into the whole fan thing or think it was better than a number of other movies that came out that year of 1977. Or 1978 come to that.
 But I was 15 and involved in a number of other interests that might mean I was actually too old or otherwise distracted for it to influence me for life as it seems to have done many others.
 I did see the other two of the original trilogy at the cinema but I've not seen the prequels other than on TV. And now I rarely go to the cinema anyway. Not since the days when people would sit quietly to enjoy a movie and nobody made phone calls DURING a film to tell their friends that they were watching a film.
 I'll probably watch the new movies at some point. On Pay-Per-View, cable or DVD. I much prefer immersing myself in the viewing experience at home with no distractions and at a volume that doesn't make my ears bleed.

Having said all that I noticed that TESCO has the first 6 films in two box sets for about ÂŁ20 so maybe I'll indulge in a re view at some point.

They're not bad films. They just don't make my Top 10. Or Top 50.  Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »

TIE fighters in an atmosphere? Come ON, Disney! Couldn't they have re-jiggered the side panels into a semblance of wings which could be attempted to be believed?.

Given that the original movies in-atmosphere capable craft tended to have all the aerodynamic stylings of your average suburban semi it seems wantonly petty to pick on the TIE fighter doing it as being somehow outrageous.

Personally, looking forward to seeing it, though won't have the chance til mid Jan! (Don't want to see it in Italian prior to seeing it in English!)
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2015, 01:30:51 am »

The established EU canon does already have TIEs in an atmosphere. Several times.
I much prefer immersing myself in the viewing experience at home with no distractions and at a volume that doesn't make my ears bleed.

But doesn't drown out the sound of incessant munching.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2015, 09:01:51 am »

The established EU canon does already have TIEs in an atmosphere. Several times.
EU is no longer canon, but I agree. The Babylon5 Thunderbolt Starfuries have the better idea of how to design a multi-atmospheric craft.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2015, 03:19:06 am »

Just saw it. They sure have learned from their mystake. They re-used what make the originals great, even if it was at the cost of copy-paste some plot-points.

I, hovewer, a very permisive judge.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2015, 01:13:50 am »

EU is no longer canon, but I agree. The Babylon5 Thunderbolt Starfuries have the better idea of how to design a multi-atmospheric craft.

To be fair having aerodynamic wings isn't essential for flight in an atmosphere as aerodynamic lift and maneuver can be achieved with vectored thrust which you need anyway to maneuver in space and the Millenium Falcon was able to maneuver in atmosphere without any aerodynamic surfaces at all.

Having said that B5 was the first thing I'm aware of that actually considered that space dogfight would work in a very different way to ones between aerodynamic craft.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: