The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 27, 2021, 05:02:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The farce awakens....  (Read 8015 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:03 pm »

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Official Teaser Trailer #1 (2015) - J.J. Abrams Movie HD

A black storm trooper ?  Circusball droids ? Campy Narrator ? And ugly lightsabers ?

It must be G Lucas but Im afraid its not... I bet JAR JAR is in there somewhere too

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:58:36 pm »

Darth Vader was found unavailable for comment

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:18:30 pm »

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Official Teaser Trailer #1 (2015) - J.J. Abrams Movie HD

A black storm trooper ?  Circusball droids ? Campy Narrator ? And ugly lightsabers ?

It must be G Lucas but Im afraid its not... I bet JAR JAR is in there somewhere too

Feeling chipper? You should be a film critic... Not any stranger than having a Maori-Brit actor play Jango Fett.  And what about Lando Calrissian?  Remember him? Unless in a galaxy far far away you only have Caucasian humanoids among 1001 strange alien species... Also there's not enough information to judge whether this is a good film or bad film.  I like that they stuck with the original ship designs.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:34:40 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:30:13 pm »

A black storm trooper ?

That reminds me of a friend who once joined an online CRPG using his natural skin tone to represent himself ingame, to this he received a few PMs informing him "This is a decent fantasy game, there are no black people." Uneducated nonsense.

The rollerballdroid looked pretty weak, but honestly it's just a few seconds of teaser. Even if they don't live up to fans views of the original Abrams would have to work pretty damn hard to make them worse than the last three pieces of noxious horror. (though, perversely all my nephews and their friends think the last three were 'cool' and the first three were boring. Kids eh?).

Best wait till the films out before damning it all to heck.
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »

A black storm trooper ?  Circusball droids ? Campy Narrator ? And ugly lightsabers ?

Feeling chipper? You should be a film critic... Not any stranger than having a Maori-Brit actor play Jango Fett.  Unless in a galaxy far far away you only have Caucasian humanoids among 1001 strange alien species... Also there's not enough information to judge whether this is a good film or bad film.  I like that they stuck with the original ship designs.

The whole Empire seemed to be white guys if I recall - where they racist , or were other creeds just less available ?

Either way it is just seems odd - esp as ST were all clones who were Maori and esp having him in old ST garb so he stood out as opposed to newer Black armour - not to mention the fact they literally had him pop out on the very first shot .

What could be more shocking or unexpected than that ?

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:58 pm »

Well, on the Stormtrooper thing, (this is from vague memory so don't quote me). I believe the Empire destroyed the cloning facilities to insure against a clone uprising. As Stormtroopers were engineered to age faster, they began recruiting regular folks into the legion. As this is set 30 years after ROTJ, there's nothing vaguely unbelievable about that.

But on a side note, lets be real. There have been 6 Star Wars movies, two of them were good, and the the third was a muppet laden merchandising fest with an unlikely and disappointing ending. My God it would've been a complete right off if it wasn't for that gold bikini.

As for the later trilogy, well lets just not even go there shall we. As most of the more interesting aspects of the expanded universe have been declared non canon, despite the fact this is indeed a very short trailer from which we can't glean too much at all. On a scale of one to ten, what are the chances of this film actually being any good?

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:47 pm »

A black storm trooper ?

That reminds me of a friend who once joined an online CRPG using his natural skin tone to represent himself ingame, to this he received a few PMs informing him "This is a decent fantasy game, there are no black people." Uneducated nonsense.

The rollerballdroid looked pretty weak, but honestly it's just a few seconds of teaser. Even if they don't live up to fans views of the original Abrams would have to work pretty damn hard to make them worse than the last three pieces of noxious horror. (though, perversely all my nephews and their friends think the last three were 'cool' and the first three were boring. Kids eh?).

Best wait till the films out before damning it all to heck.

Here's what Seth Rogen thinks..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:35 pm »

Theres a lot more to the stormtroopers than clones, I'm not sure there even supposed to be the majority. Plus we've no idea if that chap is an actual storm trooper or not, after all Luke and co played dress up in the first film.

I don't know where you've got newer black armour from (to be fair I'm not that up to date with my SciFi!) the stormtrooper in the first shot appears to be wearing the same white and black armour as the rest of the troops shown in some kind of carrier later in the teaser, they've had a minor overhaul bit it's still white!

As for being any good, dunno.. I did kind of find the newer Trek films a lot more enjoyable than the previous ones. I suspect that they'll do very well and please a lot of people but also upset a lot of others.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 01:52:29 am »

Couldn't really tell much from the trailer. I am looking forward to seeing it in a year.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 02:03:21 am »

Theres a lot more to the stormtroopers than clones, I'm not sure there even supposed to be the majority. Plus we've no idea if that chap is an actual storm trooper or not, after all Luke and co played dress up in the first film.

I don't know where you've got newer black armour from (to be fair I'm not that up to date with my SciFi!) the stormtrooper in the first shot appears to be wearing the same white and black armour as the rest of the troops shown in some kind of carrier later in the teaser, they've had a minor overhaul bit it's still white!

As for being any good, dunno.. I did kind of find the newer Trek films a lot more enjoyable than the previous ones. I suspect that they'll do very well and please a lot of people but also upset a lot of others.

I actually had to look this up because I'm not an expert on Star Wars mythos, but apparently regarding newer "black armour," he is referring to Shadow Troopers, and I don't remember Shadow Troopers appearing in any episode (I-VI) movie:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_stormtrooper

that of course is unrelated to the argument of ethnicity among Storm Troopers.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 03:08:40 am »

One thing I will say though. I take my hat off to anyone who's going to attempt to please Star Wars fans at this stage of the game. Many of us are so rigid in our opinions we make make Trekkies and Whovians seem positively malleable in comparison. Really, we're the absolute bloody worst!

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 05:25:33 am »

I actually had to look this up because I'm not an expert on Star Wars mythos, but apparently regarding newer "black armour," he is referring to Shadow Troopers, and I don't remember Shadow Troopers appearing in any episode (I-VI) movie:

Thats because they only appear in th expanded universe  Wink
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 06:15:59 am »

Um the original scripts for the empire strikes back had Lando being a retired clone from the clone wars. But aside from that there never is any indication that storm troopers were not all sorts of human ethnicities. even if you imagine they are still an entire clone force you can allow that with Jango fett dead you'd need a new source of materials to clone from.

The empire was racist but in the true sense, there really is only one human race. They opposed giving power to non humans. and had a bit of a misogynist streak to boot.

Not really a fan of the chibi droid, though and from what I hear it's sorta a main character. side kick to the female lead. I'm actually liking the new storm trooper look, and kinda like the rebel uniform and ship upgrades and such but some of it looks a little too neat and tidy as well as a little too sharp edged and starkly lit.

as an artsy kid of guy I paid attention to the warm tones and lighting on the rebels and the cold starkness of the empire. and it looks like that pattern is missing now which could mean there will be a lot more grey area now, that the new republic forces are not as good as the galaxy hoped, or just that the director threw that all away in favor of his own style.

I'm not as bothered by the light claymore idea as some, though I do get a little tired of the need for every new scary guy to have a new variation on the lightsabre and then it creeps into the comins and stories that some jedi master of the past perfect the style of combat with that type of blade ect ect. seriously if you want to really play this game give somebody a light hammer or scythe. But if it turns out that they got a good fight coryographer who made the design actually useful then more power to them.

I've decided that I will reserve judgment and when I do see them I won't compare them to anything else, I will take them as if a completely new movie and see how I feel about it as a stand alone.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 06:42:47 am »

BTW:  The guy playing the stormtrooper at the start of the video is John Boyega, who is credited as among the protagonists and supporting actors - so perhaps this is also an undercover rebel "playing dress-up" as suggested before

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3915784/?ref_=tt_cl_t15
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 06:49:44 am »

Logic dictates the odds of coloured folk being storm troopers slim because there were and are probably still far more white actors as a whole.

Culture is a factor too i.e. if you live in predominantly umixed society why would you not assume it could be the  same elsewhere  esp when Lando & Mace are the only two prominent non-white characters ?

Storm troopers have nothing to do with it , there are just very few coloured characters in that franchaise general .

Could 30 yrs mean an influx of diversity ?

I dont know - space is a big place and Star Wars just a small part of it..

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 06:53:59 am »

BTW:  The guy playing the stormtrooper at the start of the video is John Boyega, who is credited as among the protagonists and supporting actors - so perhaps this is also an undercover rebel "playing dress-up" as suggested before

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3915784/?ref_=tt_cl_t15

I think hes a defector from what I heard

A statement in light of Ferguson ?
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 07:21:10 am »

Well, on the Stormtrooper thing, (this is from vague memory so don't quote me). I believe the Empire destroyed the cloning facilities to insure against a clone uprising. As Stormtroopers were engineered to age faster, they began recruiting regular folks into the legion. As this is set 30 years after ROTJ, there's nothing vaguely unbelievable about that.

But on a side note, lets be real. There have been 6 Star Wars movies, two of them were good, and the the third was a muppet laden merchandising fest with an unlikely and disappointing ending. My God it would've been a complete right off if it wasn't for that gold bikini.

David Lynch Meets George Lucas

I think he meant Ewoks   Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 11:46:32 am »

meh starwars hipsters. always going on about how their favorite franchise would be so much better if...

never seeming to grasp that the only reason thy care about the franchise is because the guy who made it made it good enough for them to spend all their time thinking and caring about it.

If it bothers you that much go watch the Holiday special and use that to mark the lowest starwars point on your scale. Anything after that will be a gem by comparison.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 02:05:58 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/28/force-awakens-gifs_n_6236902.html

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 02:42:30 pm »

For freak sake, more colored peoples in the verse is a amelioration by any means. Why bitching it ?
I don't care what side is on , all i care is than it is black . I looking forward for more women ( because Beside Leia and Amidala).

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »

...I dig the lightsaber "longsword" with the little laser Cross...I'd be pretty happy if the fight choreographers use some HEMA techniques in the action sequences.

You know, on the race tip, I always just assumed that the Empire in the original three films was (amongst other things) a loose and indirect metaphor for Nazi-ism...thus all totalitarian white folk; the Rebels being all of the other "races" of the galaxy united against them.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 12:28:57 pm »

The trailer done in Legos.  Check it out.

delCano
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

Gravatar

elKano_L
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 12:41:17 pm »

...I dig the lightsaber "longsword" with the little laser Cross...I'd be pretty happy if the fight choreographers use some HEMA techniques in the action sequences.
I concur... we were talking about it yesterday in historical fencing class. It is ridiculous, you almost assuredly would cut your own wrist with it, but we all still wanted one. Light longsword! What's not to like, other than its unpracticality and slightly ridiculous looks?
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

mgfarley
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 11:44:04 pm »

The George Lucas Special Edition trailer, complete with loads of unnecessary CGI. And trade negotiations:

And just in case you think the trailer isn't "J.J. Abrams-y" enough, here's a version with the lens flare turned up to 11:

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 04:02:32 am »

Some Clarification:
http://mic.com/articles/105390/star-wars-actor-john-boyega-has-the-perfect-response-to-black-stormtrooper-critics
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: