The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 07, 2021, 03:45:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!  (Read 869 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: November 17, 2014, 09:17:01 am »

****HAPPY THANKSGIVING!****

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I just opened this thread, with regard to an impending holiday, in this case one still pending in the Colonies before Christmas season arrives.  For those of you in the US and those Americans abroad, let me wish you  a Happy Thanksgiving!  For those in Canada, I wish your Thanksgiving this last October was a happy one.

This is usually a time for people, typically family members, to come together and partake of a feast - usually involving turkey and give thanks for the good fortune that God, or whichever gods you believe in, or the universe has bestowed on you.  It is a time of reflection...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

So please, feel free to post your plans or comments or whichever might be appropriate.  I'll start by stating what I'm grateful for:

I am grateful to be alive and employed.  I am grateful for finding people who helped me find a roof over my head this year, when it became all but certain that I would become homeless.  I am grateful for having the opportunity to long for better days, which is better than losing all hope.  As evidenced by my recent increase in girth, I am eating more food now, which was in fact a really severe problem for me earlier this year.

Does any one else want to come forth and recount your good tidings for this year?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:16:51 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:51 pm »

Actually I prefer ham or chicken fried steak, but...

http://youtu.be/lqGkbVXSaKU

And now for something a bit more heartwarming:

http://youtu.be/7NSQLMPUK-8

Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:44:25 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »

Yeah, happy celebrating a event who never happened day . Angry

Thanksgiving ? Bah Humbug !

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 06:04:58 pm »

I don't know the origin of this song, but whatever that may be, or whoever came up with it, for whatever reason, it matches my feelings about the issue: Why not join in? It's bound to be more enjoyable than sitting out in the cold and complaining.

http://youtu.be/2k-YZxsn2iU

(Edited for a more loving reply.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:21:16 pm by MWBailey » Logged
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »

I'm sorry to have say it but not to have thinking it. Because no, i'm not invited, i would join every other feasts but this one a purely christian invention and i'm sorry to have crashed the party.

*leave before doing more damages*
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:03:53 pm by chicar » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:42 pm »

I'm sorry to have say it but not to have thinking it. Because no, i'm not invited, i would join every other feasts but this one a purely christian invention and i'm sorry to have crashed the party.

*leave before doing more damage*

Oh, bosh. you don't have to be christian to sit down to a Thanksgiving feast. Thank whoever you want, they're all divine anyway. If the Christian angle bothers you, just think of it as what it has always been and what the Pilgrim event was moved to to take advantage of: the millennia-old Autumnal celebration of the Harvest: Mabon, or whichever/whatever one you prefer.

Or, of one prefers, just call it Feast of the Fellowship of Happy Eatingness, and attach no religion whatsover.

Which name you use makes no difference to me, personally. Come on, lets have a leg together.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:14:18 pm by MWBailey » Logged
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »

Congratulation, you said what i wanted to hear. Excuse accepted and i suppose i own you some of my own. Wink

Happy Thanksgiving !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:16:03 pm by chicar » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 07:26:20 pm »

HEAR HEAR!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:09:10 am »

I'm going to my parent's place for thanksgiving-ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCMzWGN-I0

Mildly apropos of the above clip, I'll be bringing fish.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:16:58 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:13 am »

Thank you, I did.

As an aside, I have never been particularly enamoured of "cranberry sauce," as I find it cloyingly sweet with a tendency to overpower the flavour of the meat. (Like David Rosengarten, I much prefer a nice brown sauce/gravy.)

Several years ago, however, Lenore Edman of Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories posted her recipe for Indian-style Cranberry Chutney, and I have been making it for my family for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas ever since.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:07 am »

Yeah, happy celebrating a event who never happened day . Angry

Thanksgiving ? Bah Humbug !

*leave before doing more damages*

Chicar, old chap, I believe you're confusing the Usanian Thanksgiving holiday with our more-traditional celebration, which is merely the same annual post-harvest festival and piss-up which has been observed pretty much since the invention of agriculture.

(Incidentally, the Puritan Pilgrims really did land at the location they named Plymouth Rock, primarily because they had run out of beer…)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 05:32:46 am »

I'm not even sure that we demand it be a religious holiday.  It may have started formally as such, but as stated before it originates on ancient pre-Christina harvest festivals, and it eventually took a different meaning.  And no, it is not American or Protestant only.  It is a much older tradition *points to link included in the OP*  It even was exported to other cultures, but it turns out that those cultures already had something very similar, as the roots are harvest festivals common to all cultures around the globe...

Observance in Japan
Main article: Labor Thanksgiving Day

Labor Thanksgiving Day (勤労感謝の日 Kinrō Kansha no Hi?) is a national holiday in Japan. It takes place annually on November 23. The law establishing the holiday, which was adopted during the American occupation after World War II, cites it as an occasion for commemorating labor and production and giving one another thanks. It has roots in an ancient harvest ceremony (Niiname-sai (新嘗祭?)) celebrating hard work.

The main message is unity.  It's an excuse to come together and civil to one another, while recognizing that life is not so bad if you care to see the good sides.  Fact is if you are alive today, you are very good-fortuned already.  Attribute the good fortune to whichever cause you wish.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:36:18 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 02:46:09 am »

Gobble Gobble!  I hope everyone is having/had a merry Thanksgiving.  Sadly, there was no turkey for me, as I'm alone at home, because my most immediate family (uncle) did nothing for today (his wife suffers from very serious health problems) and it made no sense to spend and cook a whole turkey by myself. Worse, I'm off work tomorrow and I'm bored out of my mind, save a bottle of American Merlot.

Jennie Augusta Brownscombe, The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth, 1914, Pilgrim Hall Museum, Plymouth, Massachusetts
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:50:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:16 am »

I introduce my family members to the wonders that are professor elemental, and Lindsaey Stirling. As well as gave the niece a taste of Steffenwolf 'magic carpet ride'.

Discussed some ideas I have for mad science of the culinary type. Taught my neice house to make a wine glass sing and about resonance by having two glasses with roughly the same liquid level in them, get one to sing and then touch the second to se if you can feel the faint vibration... oh and the onligatory balance a spoon on my nose.

good times.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: