The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 23, 2019, 01:29:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steaming Pistons Compendium Printing IndieGoGo Campaign  (Read 793 times)
Steaming Pistons
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

letsrockltd
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:36:00 pm »

Greetings Steampunk Readers!

We are hoping to raise funds to put our fantastic steampunk ebooks into print! If you would like to help, please visit the link below:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-steaming-pistons-steampunk-compendium-i-book

Many thanks!

Find the chuffing marvellous steampunk ebook compendium Steam Rising here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/452350 Coming soon in paperback!

The alternative zombie Sherlock Holmes tale on the trail of a psychotic cipher of Jack the Ripper known as Rick the Japer is also available in ebook form here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/442747

See our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/steamingpistons
Steaming Pistons
Deck Hand

letsrockltd
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:51:01 pm »

Happy New Year, chumrades! Only 2 weeks left to go in the Steaming Pistons IndieGoGo campaign, we just need a few more contributions to actually make it happen, and then any more would help to get it into tip top shape!

Here's more about the book to give you an idea of what it involves. It's told by Philbert Chicory, a time travelling author, who uses his T.A.S.H. (Time And Space Harpsicord) to travel to different & exciting realities, only he accidentally hit a bum note & ended up here, where he recalls incidents from his own unusual time. The tales are mostly set in Odnnol, my own jiggered around version of 19thC London, & are full of Lewis Carroll-inspired puns & wordplay, which means that I can mess around with historical events & concepts in this alternative universe without upsetting anyone else's steampunk visions too much, & make many ironic historical references & jokes in the process. Odnnol is to London what Gotham is to New York, by way of comparison.

The stories are short, fizzy bursts of daring adventure, in the style of the original penny dreadfuls. They are all ripping yarns that will excite & amuse, with a splash of science fiction & a dash of pithy satire for those who want to find it, but nothing too heavy (apart from some of the giant steel automatons, they're pretty heavy, of course). Each episode is a vignette of an emerging world, with the main title 'Steam Rising' being a cheeky double entendre. Since they're my first attempts at creating an alternative reality, they depict the rise of the industrial revolution itself, & so feature the beginnings of how the 18th century science, technology, culture & empire develop, both ephemerally, as well as literally, with lots of wispy vapour wafting about the place, which is never bad, is it?

The tales include parodies of the coronation of Queen Victoria, the invention of the steam engine (which ties in with the growing indulgence in tea, as well as other substances from the East), the introduction of mass rail and sewerage systems (and how they interweave) & my own version of The Great Exhibition, which are a way of establishing the strange city of Odnnol and populating it with curious inhabitants, who themselves weave in and out of divergent stories. In a way, this is a steampunk endeavour in itself that I am sure Brunel (or in Odnnol's case, Unbrel) would commend, & provides the foundations on which a whole world of thrilling anecdotes & antics may be built. I have started writing an abundance of steampunk stories to follow these, but you have to start somewhere, & here seems to be there.

I hope that this sounds enticing enough for you to want to participate. It could be the start of something special.
Steaming Pistons
Deck Hand

letsrockltd
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:06:19 am »

Many thanks to those who have contributed so far! There are a mere 9 hours left to contribute to the campaign, so it's your last chance to get involved. Please give the project your support in whatever way you can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: