The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 07:58:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funding for the Tesla Museum  (Read 1115 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:29 am »

You and I both know that some people are turning Tesla's Colorado digs into a museum, but I can't find the previous threads that mention it, so forgive this new one...

The fellow who does The Oatmeal (who is a huge Tesla fan) has links set up so that you can donate to help get the museum up and running. T-Shirts and paving bricks are what's currently being offered. Here's the link:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/nikola_tesla_dood
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:32 am »

...And a funny little music video to help inspire you:

Nikola Tesla Dood - Sarah Donner and The Oatmeal

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:43:56 am »

...aaaaand, since I can't locate any of the original posts on the topic, this little gem, again from The Oatmeal:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(This is only the first section; for the rest, go to:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla)
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:01:57 am »

That would be the third Tesla museum. There's one in Serbia, and one being built at Wardenclyffe.

Wardenclyffe is the one to support. The group behind it now owns the building and is cleaning it up. They have an Indiegogo project to replace the roof. Tesla Motors is putting a charging station in the parking lot.
thezombiekat
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »

not wanting to say Tesla wasn't awesome or anything, i have seen wireless delivery of power demonstrated over short distances, but didn't turning on a Tesla coil outside of a Faraday cage pretty much eliminate radio communication for a sizeable distance.

wireless power for my phone and computer would be great but not if it means i need a shielded data cable instead.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »

Tesla's wireless power transmission system was horribly inefficient. His plan was to have a big transmitter for a small town, with attic-sized antennas in each house, delivering enough power to light a 40 watt bulb. This is possible, but not too useful.

What Tesla really did was invent effective AC motors. Most ordinary AC motors today are based on technology covered in Tesla's patents. AC motors existed before Tesla, but they were hard to get started under load. DC motors produce maximum torque when stalled, so they start easily.  Several clever tricks of electromagnetics make AC motors usable. It took heavy math and genius to figure those out.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:42:50 am »

That would be the third Tesla museum. There's one in Serbia, and one being built at Wardenclyffe.

Wardenclyffe is the one to support. The group behind it now owns the building and is cleaning it up. They have an Indiegogo project to replace the roof. Tesla Motors is putting a charging station in the parking lot.

It would appear I mispoke about Colorado; the link you provided for Wardenclyffe shows the brick fundraiser I mentioned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: