The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 04:25:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anywhere Steampunky in (central) Birmingham? (open Sundays)  (Read 1192 times)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« on: September 08, 2014, 01:35:55 pm »

I will find myself in Birmingham this coming Sunday & Monday for a trade show at the NEC.  Looking for somewhere to go on Sunday night that doesn't close too early for a few beers etc...

Found a good pub on Broad Street next door to Reflex (when one of our number was refused entry to Reflex for wearing trainers of all things!) last year, but it shut at 10:30

I thought if possible I'd give our group a bit of an introduction to SP.

Any ideas?

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Lady Jemima Battenburg
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »

If you want somewhere with fantastic decor and atmosphere I would recommend Bacchus Bar in the Burlington Arcade off New Street. It isn't that easy to find, being under a hotel, with no phone signal once inside due to being underground, but that just makes it more interesting!
http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/bacchusbarbirmingham/ It does close around 11pm on a Sunday I think, but its worth having a drink just to see inside.
If you like Gin, or a cocktail served in a mini bathtub then try The Jeykll & Hyde on Steelhouse Lane. I am dying to visit this pub but have yet to get around to it. It does look rather fab. http://www.thejekyllandhyde.co.uk/
Enjoy!!  Wink
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:39:20 pm »

Would've liked to try & get them to try The Jeykll & Hyde, but it doesn't appear to be open on Sundays  Sad

Might try & persuade them into a visit to Bacchus Bar though.

Any more ideas welcome especially anywhere open beyond 23:00 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:43:43 pm by Sludge Van Diesel » Logged
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:29 pm »

A little further out (but still walkable) there is The Drop Forge in the Jewellery Quarter: http://thedropforge.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/home. Not sure what time they are open until though. Although it has been done up, a lot of the old forge is still there, a nice bit of industrial Birmingham. I'm not much of a drinker but my friends and family seemed to approve of the beverages on offer, they have a local house gin for example.

~A~
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:59 pm »

Ahh; it appears the regular haunts of we Brummagem types close early on Sundays.  So no go there  Undecided

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:46:30 pm »

Keep them coming folks, I don't think I can stand another night of 1980s cheese or a venue like Lloyds or Walkabout.

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:09 pm »

I was going to suggest Lost & Found on Bennetts Hill - but that's only open until 9pm on Sundays....

Also the Old Joint Stock, but that closes at 5pm on Sundays...

There the The Victoria (same owners as Jekyll and Hyde), which is open until Midnight http://www.thevictoriabirmingham.co.uk/about/

I would second the recommendation for Bacchus Bar though, it's my favourite place in the city

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Lucius Baxter
Officer
England England

Where there is no imagination there is no horror

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »

With all of these interesting places we should organise a meet!

2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:55 pm »

the Victoria looks like an option & doesn't seem too far from Bacchus
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:52 pm »

They are really close together - it's probably about a 5 minute walk =]
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:49:29 pm »

I can feel a plan coming on (if I can persuade the heathens to go along with it)
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 09:27:20 pm »

DAMN ONLY JUST SPOTTED THIS
Hope you had a good evening  Embarrassed

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:08:03 pm »

DAMN ONLY JUST SPOTTED THIS
Hope you had a good evening  Embarrassed
We did, although it ended up being a few beers in the hotel, into town for a bite to eat in Jimmy Spice, then over to Reflex &  finished up in the Tap & Spile until close (at least they have decent beer in the Tap)
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:48 am »

This year consider heading in the opposite direction to Coventry. My favourites are Whitefriars and the Old Windmill. The Windmill closes 30 mins later and is opposite Turmeric Gold if you fancy a curry.

Spon street is a street of old buildings that happen to have been huddled together with the intention of making a historic centre of preserved buildings. A later local authority governance allowed several buildings to introduce a great deal of ye olde worlde traditional chrome designed for the 21st century so might be to your taste. I am of a Luddite persuasion so it is the Windmill only for me.

The Broomfield is just outside the ring road but you can discuss your needs with the landlord. I would recommend doing this so he has your preferred tipples in stock. It is Real Ale (perhaps all 7 letters should be capitalised) but will sell other drinks. When a friend wanted a red wine the landlord sent his missus to the supermarket for the bottle of vino. Coventry is just that kind of place but the supermarkets are closed Sunday nights.

http://whatpub.com/search?q=Whitefriars+Olde+Ale+House%2C+Coventry&lat=52.406600952148&lng=-1.5030499696732&features=Open%2CPub%2CRealAle&r=10&t=d&p=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: